• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Weird thing about the SB this year

I'm not sure if it's just bc I'm a Bills fan, but the Chiefs' win just didn't seem to carry life-changing weight to it, even for the losing team.

No one crying tears of sadness or joy. Just Eagles walking off slowly and Chiefs hooting and hollering. Didn't look any different than an amazing regular season finish or a wildcard, but for the trophy.

It just didn't seem that big of a deal, with Mahomes, Reid, Kelce already talking about next year, and Eagles players talking candidly about how the game went.

Last year felt similar, with the game being played during daytime (west coast) and just not feeling all that epic. Is it me getting older (34) or a coping mechanism of being a Bills fan? Or did it just feel more "regular" (including for the champs themselves) than it would if Bills, Bengals, Jags, Cowboys, 9ners, etc had won it?

KC lucked into the easiest path to the bye, to a SB, and to a win. Maybe that has something to do with it.

• Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Re: Weird thing about the SB this year

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
    I'm not sure if it's just bc I'm a Bills fan, but the Chiefs' win just didn't seem to carry life-changing weight to it, even for the losing team.

No one crying tears of sadness or joy. Just Eagles walking off slowly and Chiefs hooting and hollering. Didn't look any different than an amazing regular season finish or a wildcard, but for the trophy.

It just didn't seem that big of a deal, with Mahomes, Reid, Kelce already talking about next year, and Eagles players talking candidly about how the game went.

Last year felt similar, with the game being played during daytime (west coast) and just not feeling all that epic. Is it me getting older (34) or a coping mechanism of being a Bills fan? Or did it just feel more "regular" (including for the champs themselves) than it would if Bills, Bengals, Jags, Cowboys, 9ners, etc had won it?

KC lucked into the easiest path to the bye, to a SB, and to a win. Maybe that has something to do with it.
    It's because the best football is not being played in the superbowl. last year any game would be a letdown after the bills-chiefs epic. This year we played 4 games that probably would make the top 10 best regular season games of the past decade (including that rematch against the chiefs), only for both teams NOT to play eachother in the playoffs. furthermore the bengals-chiefs rematch was awful.

In the end the Eagles had the easiest path to the superbowl of any team since the 91 redskins, the difference between those eagles and that redskin team, is the 91 redskins are perhaps one of the 3 or 4 greatest football teams to ever win the superbowl. Meanwhile the eagles seemed to struggle against any team that played even .500 football, and hadn't played a QB like any of the top names in the AFC all season (and dak prescott does not count as a top QB).

In the end it was always going to be a massive letdown, as the eagles were probably at the quality of an AFC wildcard team, and yet they got to the superbowl, while the chiefs got to sleepwalk to another superbowl win because they weren't really challenged in the afc playoffs, outside of jacksonville, who put up a stronger fight then the Bengals.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

The 2 best teams don't always reach the Super Bowl and that will probably be the case forever.

Schedule schedule schedule and bias will always play a bigger role.

Why do we play the road schedule that we do?

The schedule should not be set before the season ends period.

If you win the Super Bowl or play in it ..... your schedule should reflect that success.

Too many gimme games and that just will not ever change.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• notacon
        • Aug 2012

This Super Bowl “win” was cheap because the teams on the field did not decide it.

The refs did.

Comment

• Jeff1220
          H to the 12:20
          • Jul 2002

Honestly, I think it's age. I'm in the same situation. I can remember being very young and watching Super Bowl 16 (9ers v Bengals #1 - Montana/Anderson). At the time, there were only 15 other Super Bowl winning teams. Even when the Bills finally got their first crack at it, there were only 24 previous Super Bowls. Now as we have more than doubled that number and venture toward 60 Super Bowls in a few years, it just seems a bit diluted and less important.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

It's rigged.

Who the hell wants to invest time and energy into a 'sport' when you know regardless of what happens for most of the event Hulk Hogan is still going to win at the end?
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              It's rigged.

Who the hell wants to invest time and energy into a 'sport' when you know regardless of what happens for most of the event Hulk Hogan is still going to win at the end?

Or the Gallagher brothers.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Cali512
                • Jan 2012

I find it interesting that the cameramen were probably told to not show the eagles at all after the penalty. They didnt show their reaction and didnt really show them hugging post game

The end fell more flat than any superbowl ive ever seen.

I said this before. It felt like a bmx rider was about to jump 5 busses, than at the last second turned his bike and jumped off a kid ramp over 5 hotwheels busses

The penalty destroyed all the momentum that was building for one of the best endings in superbowl history, then came to an abrupt stop. It took the life out of the whole game and was one of the worst endings in sport's championship history.

I dont care if it was technically a flag. The RT held Sweats facemask on that same play, every angle of the holding shows it didnt impact the route at all nor did he even tug to gain any leverage. It was an extremely irrelevant penalty that ruined one of the best endings in superbowl history
                Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Oaf
                  Do you read what you write?
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                  It's because the best football is not being played in the superbowl. last year any game would be a letdown after the bills-chiefs epic. This year we played 4 games that probably would make the top 10 best regular season games of the past decade (including that rematch against the chiefs), only for both teams NOT to play eachother in the playoffs. furthermore the bengals-chiefs rematch was awful.

In the end the Eagles had the easiest path to the superbowl of any team since the 91 redskins, the difference between those eagles and that redskin team, is the 91 redskins are perhaps one of the 3 or 4 greatest football teams to ever win the superbowl. Meanwhile the eagles seemed to struggle against any team that played even .500 football, and hadn't played a QB like any of the top names in the AFC all season (and dak prescott does not count as a top QB).

In the end it was always going to be a massive letdown, as the eagles were probably at the quality of an AFC wildcard team, and yet they got to the superbowl, while the chiefs got to sleepwalk to another superbowl win because they weren't really challenged in the afc playoffs, outside of jacksonville, who put up a stronger fight then the Bengals.
                  Thanks for this, Ingtar. I might be a homer, but I think Bills-Cowboys, Bills-9ers would've been wildly hyped.

But what of the Bengals KC game? Seemed pretty competitive / high stakes to me, but for the refs siding with the Chiefs at the end. Certainly seems more competitive than JAX.

Originally posted by Jeff1220 View Post
                  Honestly, I think it's age. I'm in the same situation. I can remember being very young and watching Super Bowl 16 (9ers v Bengals #1 - Montana/Anderson). At the time, there were only 15 other Super Bowl winning teams. Even when the Bills finally got their first crack at it, there were only 24 previous Super Bowls. Now as we have more than doubled that number and venture toward 60 Super Bowls in a few years, it just seems a bit diluted and less important.
                  Yeah, I think that could be it.

Cali, hear what you're saying, though it felt flat even before the penalty (which absolutely killed it).

Comment

• Ingtar33
                    Dances With Buffaloes
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
                    Thanks for this, Ingtar. I might be a homer, but I think Bills-Cowboys, Bills-9ers would've been wildly hyped.

But what of the Bengals KC game? Seemed pretty competitive / high stakes to me, but for the refs siding with the Chiefs at the end. Certainly seems more competitive than JAX.
                    Bengals were never really in that game. the score was deceptive, chiefs took their foot off the pedal and let them back in; never really felt like the game was in trouble, not with the way the refs were calling it.
                    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X