• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Super Bowl to a PPV event?

Twice in the past two years (August 2021 and this week), former ESPN president John Skipper suggested that the Super Bowl eventually will become a pay-per-view event.

Twice in the past two years (August 2021 and this week), former ESPN president John Skipper suggested that the Super Bowl eventually will become a pay-per-view event. Twice in response, we pointed out on Twitter that this potential shift comes with one major risk.
    If/when the NFL ever removes the Super Bowl from free, over-the-air TV, Congress may immediately strip the NFL of its critically important broadcast antitrust exemption.
    Last edited by Woodman; 02-17-2023, 01:18 PM.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: Super Bowl to a PPV event?

Yup. It won't happen. They're dangerously flirting with it right now having games being shown on Apple TV.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

I think ad revenue would outweight whatever PPV revenue they'd get.

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

Well the advertising could be doubled down with the PPV too....so if they can come out in the black on all that I think they will do it at some point. The broadcast networks are losing a lot of ground. The NFL could offer tiered plans with different services and ads or not ads. But most importantly it takes the power of the marketing out of Neilsen numbers and they could charge for ads directly based on who the company is contacting and when. This is serious stuff! We are talking about moving one of our biggest events away from mass marketing to direct marketing.

Comment

• kgun12
          • Jul 2002

I'm not sure how well this would go over. The casual fan won't pay for it. I was invited to two different parties this year and neither host even knew who was playing, seriously but they enjoy hosting parties. PPV would end these households from buying it. Unless the Bills were in it, I won't buy it.
          Retired Air Traffic Controller
          USAF VETERAN
          DAV

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
            I think ad revenue would outweight whatever PPV revenue they'd get.
            Hate the idea for obvious reasons.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• BLUTO
              • Mar 2017

Agree. The SB is becoming a lousy, drama show. The actual game seems lost!

Comment

• Turf
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BLUTO View Post
                Agree. The SB is becoming a lousy, drama show. The actual game seems lost!
                Reflective of the new generation of morons coming up.
                Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...o-a-ppv-event/

Twice in the past two years (August 2021 and this week), former ESPN president John Skipper suggested that the Super Bowl eventually will become a pay-per-view event. Twice in response, we pointed out on Twitter that this potential shift comes with one major risk.
                  If/when the NFL ever removes the Super Bowl from free, over-the-air TV, Congress may immediately strip the NFL of its critically important broadcast antitrust exemption.
                  Boxing was one of the biggest sports in the USA, PPV killed the sport.

No one watches it anymore. Oh sure it would work for a few years, maybe a decade or two. but in a generation no one would watch PRO football anymore. they'd kill their own golden goose.
                  My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Cali512
                    • Jan 2012

Viewership would be astronomically down if they did this.

They make millions during the superbowl from ad revenue and obviously the viewership. Its not a smart idea

They also keep flirting with the idea of making superbowls on saturdays which i think is dumb also because more jobs are off on sundays than any other day of the week. Their excuse is because kids have school the next day but thats a dumb reason imo. If your kid has to miss the next day because they went to the superbowl, thats up to the parents

They act like they are somehow losing money during the superbowl or that attendance is somehow down because all the kids cant go to the game

Its pretty ridiculous how much the nfl tries to act like they are just scraping by
                    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Wrestlemania was PPV decades ago, the NFL might as well own what they are and do it.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Unless the Bills are in it, I'd pass and watch something else. Local teams would probably get the game free anyhow but whatever.

I don't gamble, which is what the NFL now firmly believes is the reason they have their audience over a barrel.

I read that the other day and beyond that one person, it was shot down since they have folks lining up now for high priced commercials on the major networks. They would not get that response on pay per view.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Novacane
                          • Jul 2002

I'd never pay to watch a game the Bills aren't in. I'd love it if the NFL was arrogant enough to try this.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Can’t see this ever happening.
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

This will never happen. The ad revenue generated alone outweighs any ppv revenue by a mile

- - - Updated - - -

Also, John Skipper is a coked out moron

Comment

Working...
                              X