PDA

View Full Version : TREMAINE EDMUNDS WON'T COMMIT

Woodman
02-17-2023, 04:12 PM
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/tremaine-edmunds-wont-commit-to-a-return-to-bills-seems-bound-for-free-agency

TREMAINE EDMUNDS WON'T COMMIT TO A RETURN TO BILLS, SEEMS BOUND FOR FREE AGENCY

Woodman
02-17-2023, 04:14 PM
Linebacker Tremaine Edmunds (https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/tremaine-edmunds-player) didn't sound like someone keen on returning to the Buffalo Bills (https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills-team) this offseason. Edmunds, the Bills' first-round pick in 2018, is coming off the fifth-year option of his rookie contract. He made $12.7 million last season, roughly doubling his previous NFL earnings. His deal is set to expire in March 2023 when the new league year begins.

The Bills are roughly $16 million over the salary cap, so they'll have to do plenty of contract maneuvering to meet the league requirements — let alone retain a free agent of Edmunds' quality. But in exit interviews, teams can express interest in retaining their top talents, even when they're hamstrung by the cap.

Woodman
02-17-2023, 04:19 PM
"I'm gonna let the process take shape," Edmunds told FOX Sports last week in Phoenix at an event for his agency, Athletes First. "You know what I mean? Like, you know, they've been good to me. So I definitely say thank you to the Bills for everything that they've done for me these last five years. But like I said, man, I'm just right now — I'm in the backseat."

kgun12
02-17-2023, 04:31 PM
Maybe he feels like a lot of us that he is being played wrong for his skillset? Like I've said he's a square peg they're trying to fit in a round hole.

OpIv37
02-17-2023, 04:33 PM
Also, it’s public knowledge that the Bills are tight on cap space.

Mr. Pink
02-17-2023, 04:50 PM
He's going to get more on the open market than we can afford to give him.

Personally, I say good riddance.

Bust.

kgun12
02-17-2023, 04:52 PM
He's going to get more on the open market than we can afford to give him.

Personally, I say good riddance.

Bust.

Hey, something we adree on!

Mace
02-17-2023, 05:31 PM
Don't blame him. Good luck in Houston. We should know how to scheme at him as an opponent. If he lights it up....it's on us for the junk scheme and use.

Woodman
02-17-2023, 07:09 PM
Maybe he feels like a lot of us that he is being played wrong for his skillset? Like I've said he's a square peg they're trying to fit in a round hole.

We wasted a player with possible impact potential.

kgun12
02-17-2023, 07:11 PM

I think we are doing this on both sides of the ball.

Woodman
02-17-2023, 07:11 PM
Also, it’s public knowledge that the Bills are tight on cap space.
Easy choice for him to make really.

YardRat
02-17-2023, 07:37 PM
Still think he'd be a lot better on the edge, especially in a hybrid 3-4.

Turf
02-17-2023, 07:44 PM
Miller or Edmunds? I think the Bills decided last year.

Oaf
02-17-2023, 07:54 PM

He hasn't had impact, just potential.

He improved this year, made some nice plays against the Dolphins, but was largely JAG sadly.

Canadian'eh!
02-17-2023, 07:56 PM
If he finds a scheme where they like poor angles, bad reads and are cool with just engaging with blockers and letting the play go by is part of the plan, I’m sure he’ll do great.

Cali512
02-17-2023, 08:08 PM
Miller or Edmunds? I think the Bills decided last year.

Do you think they play the same position?

kgun12
02-17-2023, 08:35 PM

He's either talking CAP or as the post before suggested by yardrat him on the edge. I'm sure he know they are different position. Actualy kind of insulting or arrogant on your part.

BLUTO
02-17-2023, 08:54 PM
Edmunds just has poor FOOTBALL instincts. You can't teach that stuff and after 5 years of playing nothing has changed.

Cali512
02-17-2023, 10:22 PM
He's either talking CAP or as the post before suggested by yardrat him on the edge. I'm sure he know they are different position. Actualy kind of insulting or arrogant on your part.

When we signed von miller, multiple posters wrote "i guess we found our replacement for edmunds"

Dont underestimate the stupidity of these boards

Turf
02-17-2023, 10:26 PM
Both are linebackers. And when Miller was signed, about the 3 players on the D said to themselves I guess I'm gone next year. Beane didn't just figure out last week, oh ****, I can't sign these guys.

Cali512
02-17-2023, 10:44 PM
Both are linebackers. And when Miller was signed, about the 3 players on the D said to themselves I guess I'm gone next year. Beane didn't just figure out last week, oh ****, I can't sign these guys.

We can definitely make do with a rookie MLB. We are in the same position a lot of the best LBs in the nfl came at

Darius Leonard, Fred Werner, Patrick Queen all came late first-3rd round. I think well be okay at LB

We honestly shouldve focussed our attention towards OL during the Rousseau/Basham draft, got Landon Dickerson or Humphrey in the second. Then focussed on CB in free agency instead of saffold, and got Devin Lloyd last year

We had an excellent chance to improve our OL the last 3 years before our other positions were due for contracts

We didnt need james cook, we didnt need to sign saffold, we didnt need to spend a first on a CB when Lloyd was right there

We dont have a lot of foresight during our offseasons. We sign and draft who we want, then panic to make cap adjustments, and push everything down the road

Whens the last time we drafted a player to replace another whos on an expiring deal. We seem to only draft players to fill immediate holes instead of having for sight. We knew that we had Edmunds coming up and Lloyd was right in our laps. Then we sign saffold where we couldve just signed a CB to fill that hole last year, and we wouldnt of needed to deal with the growing pains of Elam. If we drafted a center or guard a few years ago instead of basham, or even last year with cook, we wouldve had a young OL developed by now where we wouldnt be in this position of needing an OL and MLB/S with help at DL

This is why im so against getting any more weapons this offseason. Weve used so many resources on weapons that now we have no OL or important defensive pieces

Cali512
02-17-2023, 10:46 PM
it also wouldve been interesting to have a year with Edmunds, Lloyd, Milano as our LBs

YardRat
02-18-2023, 05:37 AM

They should. Edmunds is a far better player, IMO, if all he has to think about is setting the edge, then chasing the ball or the quarterback. Maybe drop back into coverage a couple of times a game on a zone blitz but that's about it. He's in way over his head in any 'conventional' linebacker position.

Prov401
02-18-2023, 08:49 AM
I get the 'creating more holes' argument, but our cap situation is not the best. Edmunds hasn't proven to be the linebacker everyone envisioned him being. Whether that is because of scheme or him just not rising to those levels is irrelevant to me. He hasn't shown he's worth 100+ million. The Bills need too much, specifically on offense, to be concerned with Edmunds.

Woodman
02-18-2023, 09:44 AM
They should. Edmunds is a far better player, IMO, if all he has to think about is setting the edge, then chasing the ball or the quarterback. Maybe drop back into coverage a couple of times a game on a zone blitz but that's about it. He's in way over his head in any 'conventional' linebacker position.

Woodman
02-18-2023, 09:48 AM
I get the 'creating more holes' argument, but our cap situation is not the best. Edmunds hasn't proven to be the linebacker everyone envisioned him being. Whether that is because of scheme or him just not rising to those levels is irrelevant to me. He hasn't shown he's worth 100+ million. The Bills need too much, specifically on offense, to be concerned with Edmunds.

It does appear he'll play elsewhere next season.

So all in on offense ..... let's try it.

OL and weapons of mass destruction with incredible speed.

Canadian'eh!
02-18-2023, 09:54 AM
Just waiting on notacon to claim we are losing the evolution of Mike Singletary and Ray Lewis combined into one.

kgun12
02-18-2023, 10:20 AM
Just waiting on notacon to claim we are losing the evolution of Mike Singletary and Ray Lewis combined into one.

I know! :couch:

Woodman
02-18-2023, 11:12 AM

I don't think he cares anymore. :pray:

notacon
02-18-2023, 11:51 AM
:rofl: As usual, whenever sports media or NFL professionals say anything about Edmunds, it’s the opposite of the whiney negative, ignorant crap we see from so-called Bills “fans”....

Edmunds, 24, demonstrated a level of versatility in 2022 that we'd not seen from him. Not only did he lead the team in tackles (102) despite missing three games with a groin injury, he also received the third-best coverage grade (88.1) for a linebacker on Pro Football Focus. He finished the year with the 11th-best overall grade among linebackers (79). But it was huge for his free agency prospects that he demonstrated his ability to do more than play the run game. Contributions in the passing game are what make linebackers truly valuable.
<o:p></o:p>
And perhaps that's the case he fights to get his deal in the same range as a player like the Titans' Zach Cunningham (https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/zach-cunningham-player) at $14.5 million per year. Cunningham has logged higher tackle totals, but Edmunds is the better linebacker in coverage.
"Very good-sized LB with good length and instincts," an AFC scout told me. "[He's a] three-down player with versatility. Still a young ascending player. … Good fit in any scheme."
Given his age and consistent production, there's no reason why Edmunds won't be the highest-paid inside linebacker in this year's free-agency class.

The Bills defense will immediately degrade a HUGE amount if Edmunds signs with another team. Any Bills “fan” who is hoping that he goes away do not have the best interests of the team’s performance or quality in mind and are deluding themselves with unrealistic baloney that virtually NO NFL professional agree with them.

Woodman
02-18-2023, 12:07 PM
Damn wrong again he does care. :deadhorse

notacon
02-18-2023, 12:50 PM

Oh...I missed this little piece of total bullcrap.

I have NEVER, and I mean NEVER said anything CLOSE to that about Tremaine Edmunds. NEVER!!!!

All I have done is state my own opinion based on common sense, reality, watching a LOT of NFL games, and reading (and valuing professionals opinion that have a LOT more football knowledge than I do or anyone else here...a LOT more) and quoting a multitude of actual NFL professionals experts.

Originally, I STRONGLY objected to the utter bullcrap that several posters were dishing out that had literally NO basis in reality (and STILL do not) or any kind of football knowledge that Edmunds was and is....

“a bust”....”the worst MLB in the NFL”....a “liability”....”sucks”....and on and on and on.

Like most Edmunds haters, you are projecting YOUR hyperbolic (read: dishonest) mindset.

Canadian'eh!
02-18-2023, 01:41 PM
Oh...I missed this little piece of total bullcrap.

I have NEVER, and I mean NEVER said anything CLOSE to that about Tremaine Edmunds. NEVER!!!!

All I have done is state my own opinion based on common sense, reality, watching a LOT of NFL games, and reading (and valuing professionals opinion that have a LOT more football knowledge than I do or anyone else here...a LOT more) and quoting a multitude of actual NFL professionals experts.

Originally, I STRONGLY objected to the utter bullcrap that several posters were dishing out that had literally NO basis in reality (and STILL do not) or any kind of football knowledge that Edmunds was and is....

“a bust”....”the worst MLB in the NFL”....a “liability”....”sucks”....and on and on and on.

Like most Edmunds haters, you are projecting YOUR hyperbolic (read: dishonest) mindset.

Triggered

notacon
02-18-2023, 02:06 PM
Triggered

:rofl: No.

I just exposed (for the umpteenth time) the TRUTH about Edmunds haters and your extreme dishonesty.

LIAR!!!!

Woodman
02-18-2023, 04:14 PM
:rofl: No.

I just exposed (for the umpteenth time) the TRUTH about Edmunds haters and your extreme dishonesty.

LIAR!!!!

Really?

TigerJ
02-18-2023, 08:34 PM
I agree, if Edmunds want to go to the highest bidder, Buffalo is probably out of the mix. Obviously, that creates another hole on the Bills' roster. Holes now include offensive line, wide receiver linebacker and probably safety. I'm guessing Singletary will not be re-signed, so there will be a hole there too. I like Cook and I think Heims can still contribute, but they are both role players, and Buffalo needs a player that can fulfill a little heavier use including tough yards inside. Beane will make some room by rewriting some contracts. If Buffalo is not spending $15+ million on Edmunds, they might be able to find a couple solid contributors in his place, and not necessarily at linebacker. Beane, of course will have to figure out which positions he can fill getting the most value in free agency versus filling them in the draft. Because of the cap constraints it is likely to be his most challenging offseason.

Typ0
02-19-2023, 10:26 AM
OMG even Edmunds says he isn't going to be here next year and Notty wants to argue about how he's too golden and will be here next year. Now I have seen it all. Talk about a con.

Cali512
02-19-2023, 10:46 AM
im still trying to figure out what notty thinks this board has to gain by not wanting edmunds here. This all took off a few years ago when i would make posts showing why edmunds is becoming an issue, which actually started from a few games in a row where the announcers were pointing it out

This year edmunds played better, but even notty said hes probably not worth what hell get on the open market. Im really confused why this is still becoming his fight to win. Edmunds has not been great here, we couldve had darius leonard but we have edmunds which is a huge mistake looking back. A lot of us here admit that edmunds could be great in another position but we are forcing him to play a position that doesnt utilize his skillset right

I dont get why this is still a huge argument for him and why its a huge bills zone "conspiracy" to attack Edmunds or whatever his take is.

Pittsburgh and Houston have been labeled as fits for edmunds. Both teams run a 4-3 and are set at MLB so edmunds would end up being an OLB which is what we say he should be. Pittsburgh has Myles Jack, Devin Bush, and Alex Highsmith. Myles jack is their MLB and will continue to be their MLB

Houston has Kirksey whos a very solid MLB, so edmunds would play on the outside

I doubt edmunds continues to play MLB after buffalo which is exactly what we say should happen. We had a good chance to get Lloyd last year and have a player to replace Edmunds. We couldve even gotten elam, and used our 3rd pick which we wasted on Bernard to move up in the second and possibly gotten Lloyd and elam. Our second, 3rd, and next years 3rd couldve gotten us our CB and MLB of the future and allowed us to get an OL in the first and second this year

We severely mismanaged our roster and now will be in a position where we need 2-3 starting lineman, possibly another DE, a MLB, and possibly another safety with limited cap space. We caused so many holes and didn't prioritize backup plans to help our team move forward

notacon
02-19-2023, 12:26 PM
OMG even Edmunds says he isn't going to be here next year and Notty wants to argue about how he's too golden and will be here next year. Now I have seen it all. Talk about a con.

Except Edmunds DID NOT SAY "he isn't going to be here next year”.

And I never said that he’s "too golden”. What I HAVE argued is that NFL professionals, including the Bills GM, HC and DC, have said, repeatedly, that he is an extremely valuable players that has played extremely well for the Bills.

And they have said that over and over and over again. The same with other NFL professionals as I have detailed several times in 2020 (https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/29460392/ranking-nfl-top-10-linebackers-2020-best-hybrid-playmakers-d)….2021 (https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31765336/ranking-nfl-top-10-linebackers-2021-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks) AND 2022 (https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/34168579/ranking-nfl-top-10-ball-linebackers-2022-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks-best-linebackers). And literally every sports media writer (for national publications....not “fan” blogs) have refuted the crap that the haters here have thrown Edmunds way.

I DID say that I suspect that the Bills will do all they can to retain him, because they obviously value him as a critical care cog in their defensive scheme. And Edmunds is widely thought of extremely highly within the NFL by the people that matter....GM’s, coaches and players (see links above).

I have also said that it would not be a surprise if the Bills are unable to retain him, because of cap concerns. Which happens all the time with the best players that are in high demand, especially with a mature, contending team like the Bills.

I have also said that if he has to go....that’s life in the NFL....it would undoubtably hurt the defense, but that is what happens when a team has an elite QB that consumes close to 20% of the cap.

I also suspect that if he STAYS the haters collective heads will explode because they will not be able to handle it....just like they are unable to handle the truth that Edmunds is a much, much better player than what the cynics think.....and the cynics know a ot less about football than they think they do.

notacon
02-19-2023, 12:27 PM
im still trying to figure out what notty thinks this board has to gain by not wanting edmunds here. This all took off a few years ago when i would make posts showing why edmunds is becoming an issue, which actually started from a few games in a row where the announcers were pointing it out

This year edmunds played better, but even notty said hes probably not worth what hell get on the open market. Im really confused why this is still becoming his fight to win. Edmunds has not been great here, we couldve had darius leonard but we have edmunds which is a huge mistake looking back. A lot of us here admit that edmunds could be great in another position but we are forcing him to play a position that doesnt utilize his skillset right

I dont get why this is still a huge argument for him and why its a huge bills zone "conspiracy" to attack Edmunds or whatever his take is.

Pittsburgh and Houston have been labeled as fits for edmunds. Both teams run a 4-3 and are set at MLB so edmunds would end up being an OLB which is what we say he should be. Pittsburgh has Myles Jack, Devin Bush, and Alex Highsmith. Myles jack is their MLB and will continue to be their MLB

Houston has Kirksey whos a very solid MLB, so edmunds would play on the outside

I doubt edmunds continues to play MLB after buffalo which is exactly what we say should happen. We had a good chance to get Lloyd last year and have a player to replace Edmunds. We couldve even gotten elam, and used our 3rd pick which we wasted on Bernard to move up in the second and possibly gotten Lloyd and elam. Our second, 3rd, and next years 3rd couldve gotten us our CB and MLB of the future and allowed us to get an OL in the first and second this year

We severely mismanaged our roster and now will be in a position where we need 2-3 starting lineman, possibly another DE, a MLB, and possibly another safety with limited cap space. We caused so many holes and didn't prioritize backup plans to help our team move forward
As usual, you are being extremely dishonest flippant with truth when you say...."This all took off a few years ago when i would make posts showing why edmunds is becoming an issue”.....that is far, far, far from the truth.

This started to take off when a few years ago, YOU and several other posters said the most absurd and awful crap about Edmunds like he’s “a bust”....”the worst MLB in the NFL”....a “liability”....”sucks”....and on and on and on.

It was not, in ANY way, shape or form saying that he’s "becoming an issue”. And NO it did NOT "actually started from a few games in a row where the announcers were pointing it out” as that did not happen!!!

The rest of your post is the usual Negative Nancy baloney where you think you know more about football than you actually do.

When you write "I dont get why this is still a huge argument for him and why it’s a huge bills zone "conspiracy" to attack Edmunds or whatever his take is.” it shows how clueless and non-self-aware and dishonest your pots are.

I have stated my position on Edmunds over and over and over and over and over and over and over again....in detail and with supporting links (which, of course, are criticized as well...because the haters don’t like evidence and facts when they get in the way of their bullcrap) Despite the very crystal clear expression of exactly what my “take” is....we see the haters dissemble, lie and misrepresent what I have actually said over and over and over and never and over again.

It’s insufferably dishonest and disgusting.

There is no "huge bills zone "conspiracy" to attack Edmunds”, but there is a segment of vocal posters, that spew the most ridiculous and absurd crap that is refuted by NFL expert of every stripe.

If there is any “conspiracy” it’s a “conspiracy” of ignorance and arrogance, where a handful of posters think they know more than actual NFL professionals and NFL media professionals.

They don’t. Not by a long shot.

If you want to continue with this trolling about what and how I post (by lying about it) and misrepresentation of what I actually write...go pound salt.

Ingtar33
02-19-2023, 12:49 PM
Edmunds just has poor FOOTBALL instincts. You can't teach that stuff and after 5 years of playing nothing has changed.

correct...

if anyone has a question "what do football instincts look like" watch the 3 ints patrick peterson has of josh allen.

All three were football instincts triumphing over physical skill (he's on the back side of his career, yet still got 3 picks thanks to pure instinct). Edmunds doesn't have a teaspoon of peterson's instincts.

Woodman
02-19-2023, 01:19 PM
If Buffalo is not spending $15+ million on Edmunds, they might be able to find a couple solid contributors in his place, and not necessarily at linebacker. Beane, of course will have to figure out which positions he can fill getting the most value in free agency versus filling them in the draft. Because of the cap constraints it is likely to be his most challenging offseason.

Mr. Pink
02-19-2023, 03:22 PM
Except Edmunds DID NOT SAY "he isn't going to be here next year”.

And I never said that he’s "too golden”. What I HAVE argued is that NFL professionals, including the Bills GM, HC and DC, have said, repeatedly, that he is an extremely valuable players that has played extremely well for the Bills.

If Edmunds is going to the open market, he's basically saying he doesn't want to be here. Because he, and his agent, full well know that he can get more money elsewhere. Which means money > playing again for the Buffalo Bills. Simple equation and simple to understand.

And what you still don't understand when it comes to scouts/management is that teams drool all over the physical skills Edmunds does possess. You can teach speed, which he has. But unfortunately when it comes to Edmunds, we couldn't teach him tackling and football instincts, two things he doesn't have.

Maybe a change of scenery gets him those abilities, but likely not, he'll still command a huge price tag because of his physical ability and someone hoping they can coach up his mental acumen on the game. But he is what he is to us and the Buffalo Bills...a bad draft pick and a bust.

kgun12
02-19-2023, 06:18 PM
Good points by all, you said things much more eloquently than I did. You guys used the term football instincts, where I used the example chasing the runner like a blind man looking for his dog. In any terms, I have to believe if the Bills really wanted him as much as noty thinks, I would have thought the deal would have be done by now and not let him test the market.

To quote noty, you know the guy that doesn’t call people names, to all of you LIAR!

Woodman
02-19-2023, 06:49 PM
If Edmunds is going to the open market, he's basically saying he doesn't want to be here. Because he, and his agent, full well know that he can get more money elsewhere. Which means money > playing again for the Buffalo Bills. Simple equation and simple to understand.

And what you still don't understand when it comes to scouts/management is that teams drool all over the physical skills Edmunds does possess. You can teach speed, which he has. But unfortunately when it comes to Edmunds, we couldn't teach him tackling and football instincts, two things he doesn't have.

Maybe a change of scenery gets him those abilities, but likely not, he'll still command a huge price tag because of his physical ability and someone hoping they can coach up his mental acumen on the game. But he is what he is to us and the Buffalo Bills...a bad draft pick and a bust.

Looks like a goner.

ParanoidAndroid
02-19-2023, 08:24 PM
He's not a bust.

He's never played a "conventional" LB position. His role is different based on his insane range.

But he doesn't see a play developing and use instincts to disrupt. He reacts after keying on misdirection. He takes on blockers but can't disengage to make tackles. He doesn't have a pass rushing toolbox, only odd man rush success.

Put him on the strong side of a conventional 4-3 and he will eat. He would kill in a Jim Schwartz defense. I wish we had him with this group.

kgun12
02-19-2023, 08:53 PM
He's not a bust.

He's never played a "conventional" LB position. His role is different based on his insane range.

But he doesn't see a play developing and use instincts to disrupt. He reacts after keying on misdirection. He takes on blockers but can't disengage to make tackles. He doesn't have a pass rushing toolbox, only odd man rush success.

Put him on the strong side of a conventional 4-3 and he will eat. He would kill in a Jim Schwartz defense. I wish we had him with this group.

If this was his assignment coming out of college he might not even been drafted.

I do agree that he was in the wrong position for his skills.

jamze132
02-20-2023, 04:50 AM
Adios!

We’ll find someone (almost anyone) to play MLB and match his stellar stats. It’s not like Edmunds stuck out in ANY statistical category, but that’s to be expected when the guy is being forced to play the wrong position.

I’m not mad or disappointed in Edmunds…it’s not his fault.

kgun12
02-20-2023, 09:09 AM
Really?

But he doesn’t call people names! :lmao:

Woodman
02-20-2023, 11:48 AM
Is Edmunds about to strike Gold?

YardRat
02-20-2023, 05:23 PM
I had to delete your post Cali because there was a bad link or something in it making the thread unviewable. Sorry.

Cali512
02-20-2023, 05:46 PM
I had to delete your post Cali because there was a bad link or something in it making the thread unviewable. Sorry.

I didnt post a link on it

kgun12
02-20-2023, 06:10 PM
If this was his assignment coming out of college he might not even been drafted.

I do agree that he was in the wrong position for his skills.

Damn spellcheck, it was supposed to say; if this was his assessment coming out of college!

Woodman
02-20-2023, 07:08 PM

It was weird I had to go to page two to post anything.

Post 50 was made on page two ..... the only way to post!

Woodman
02-20-2023, 07:10 PM
But he doesn’t call people names! :lmao:

He thought he said RAIL. :cheers:

backwards that spells L I A R.