PDA

View Full Version : Id Sign Robert Woods

justasportsfan
02-22-2023, 02:10 PM
Titans release 3-time Pro Bowl OT Taylor Lewan, WR Robert Woods

Woods seemingly confirmed the news by tweeting, “Free!”

The Titans acquired Woods from the Rams last March in exchange for a 2023 sixth-round pick. While Woods was on the field for 78 percent of Tennessee’s offensive snaps, he had one of the least productive seasons of his career. He caught 53 passes on 91 targets for 527 yards with two touchdowns.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/22/titans-release-robert-woods/

https://www.nfl.com/players/robert-woods/stats/career

Woodman
02-22-2023, 02:32 PM
The return of a solid 10 year WR#2.

I believe he can still be a contributor.

Somebody will scoop him up.

Forward_Lateral
02-22-2023, 02:40 PM
He'd be a great pickup for a year or two

justasportsfan
02-22-2023, 03:01 PM
The return of a solid 10 year WR#2.

I believe he can still be a contributor.

Somebody will scoop him up.

even after a blown knee, he still did better than Sanders or Crowder. He will be a huge target up the middle for Allen. If you lookup his highlights, he creates separation and gets open a lot. Not something even Diggs was able to do last season.
He's also the NFLs best run blocking receiver.

Woodman
02-22-2023, 03:07 PM
even after a blown knee, he still did better than Sanders or Crowder. He will be a huge target up the middle for Allen. If you lookup his highlights, he creates separation and gets open a lot. Not something even Diggs was able to do last season.

He's also the NFLs best run blocking receiver.

We can definitely use those skills.

I'm sure we're looking at the possibility.

ParanoidAndroid
02-22-2023, 04:06 PM
Woods > Beasley

Turf
02-22-2023, 05:07 PM
I always thought he was under appreciated here. I would take a look into it.

YardRat
02-22-2023, 05:14 PM
I've always liked Woods and would welcome him back also, but now more than ever the decision depends on the money. He didn't cash in anywhere near what he could have in Tennessee and he's probably still looking for some short-term bank.

Cali512
02-22-2023, 06:28 PM
Wouldnt his role be similar to Shakir?

Diggs
Davis
Crowder
Mckenzie? Woods? Shakir?

Thats my issue with adding a WR. I dont know where Davis + a new number 2 fits together

Night Train
02-22-2023, 07:00 PM
Woods > Beasley

One plays wide, one plays slot.

Sign both of them if they redo enough deals. Beasley is more realistic and Allen missed him badly last season on 3rd down.

Woodman
02-22-2023, 07:52 PM
Woods > Beasley

Take em both.

justasportsfan
02-22-2023, 10:01 PM
I've always liked Woods and would welcome him back also, but now more than ever the decision depends on the money. He didn't cash in anywhere near what he could have in Tennessee and he's probably still looking for some short-term bank.

He just hit 30 and I doubt he gets what he would've gotten from Tennessee.

He still caught 53 passes with a team he just joined and with a qb issue. Sign him and trade Davis?

Woodman
02-22-2023, 10:11 PM
Davis is playing for a contract so it might be useful to have him in that position along with Diggs and possibly Woods in the slot ...... that would be a formidable trio IMO.

Question is are we interested and is he. (Woods)

Prov401
02-23-2023, 06:33 AM
I'm in. Shakir can learn a lot from him as well.

Woodman
02-23-2023, 08:00 AM
I'm in. Shakir can learn a lot from him as well.

He'd be perfect for Shakir!!

Saratoga Slim
02-23-2023, 08:19 AM
I think seeing the field would be perfect for Shakir. He already had a season of mostly watching veterans play. Sink or swim time.

As for Woods…I guess so. But I’d still like to see us draft a receiver with speed to compete with Davis, who won’t be here next year.

Woodman
02-23-2023, 09:28 AM
I think seeing the field would be perfect for Shakir. He already had a season of mostly watching veterans play. Sink or swim time.

As for Woods…I guess so. But I’d still like to see us draft a receiver with speed to compete with Davis, who won’t be here next year.

I'm sure other teams will be interested in Woods as well .... so the draft might be where we need to get what we're looking for IMO.

Always :gobills:

notacon
02-23-2023, 12:08 PM
No thank you.

Maybe for the vet minimum (or a little above) for depth.

The Titans have one of the worst WR rooms in the NFL, and cutting Woods, even for cap purposes, tells the story on his value.

The Bills are not going to progress by picking up, or maintaining washed up has-been vets that cost too much.

Continue to develop Shakir, draft a WR in the first two rounds, and possibly sign a FA WR that is better than Woods.

We already have a WR, that is much younger and cheap, motivated by his contract year, that caught 48 passes on 91 targets. Woods' 53 catches on 91 targets (with only two TD’s) is hardly anything to crow about and certainly an embarrassment for the Titans' #1 WR.

justasportsfan
02-23-2023, 01:03 PM
The Titans have one of the worst WR rooms in the NFL, and cutting Woods, even for cap purposes, tells the story on his value.

Not true. He was going to be paid $12.3 million next season. He isnt worth that but hes definitely worth more vet minimum or slightly over that. Thats just assanine. 53 passes from Tennehill ? Davis caught 48 last year. Woods could mostl likely catch more with Allen.

The Bills are not going to progress by picking up, or maintaining washed up has-been vets that cost too much.

Continue to develop Shakir, draft a WR in the first two rounds, and possibly sign a FA WR that is better than Woods.

I agree that we should develop Shakir, but Woods better than Sanders and Crowder.

notacon
02-23-2023, 01:23 PM
Not true. He was going to be paid $12.3 million next season. He isnt worth that but hes definitely worth more vet minimum or slightly over that. Thats just assanine. 53 passes from Tennehill ? Davis caught 48 last year. Woods could mostl likely catch more with Allen.

We’ll see if the Bills agree with you or me very soon.

justasportsfan
02-23-2023, 01:46 PM
We’ll see if the Bills agree with you or me very soon.

lol. Like if the bills agree with you or me about Edmunds? Its a message board conversation, thats it.

Mr. Pink
02-23-2023, 01:54 PM
Woods would be an upgrade over anything we have behind Diggs right now.

You should always be looking at getting better, and if the money is right.

If Woods would accept a league minimum deal, not going to happen, we'd be stupid not to give it to him.

Bill Cody
02-23-2023, 04:19 PM
12m is not huge money for a #2 receiver in today's league, it just isn't. I can't explain why the Titans cut him but it is odd. Someone is going to pay him a lot more than league minimum. It won't be us.

Woodman
02-23-2023, 04:23 PM
lol. Like if the bills agree with you or me about Edmunds? Its a message board conversation, thats it.

Think you got em. :D

YardRat
02-23-2023, 07:03 PM
12m is not huge money for a #2 receiver in today's league, it just isn't. I can't explain why the Titans cut him but it is odd. Someone is going to pay him a lot more than league minimum. It won't be us.

They cut him because they cleared $12mil in cap space by doing so.

Woodman
02-23-2023, 10:00 PM
Creative cap manipulation is always possible.

Bill Cody
02-24-2023, 09:22 AM
They cut him because they cleared $12mil in cap space by doing so.

By that logic just cut the whole team, sign the "replacements" and hire Gene Hackman as coach.

My point was 12m is not a number for a player of Woods caliber that screams "cut". It's odd.

Woodman
02-24-2023, 09:27 AM
Sign the W's ..... Woods and Wagner.

Bill Cody
02-24-2023, 09:44 AM
Creative cap manipulation is always possible.

True. But IMO you have to decide if Woods is a better player than Davis because you're not bringing Woods in as a backup, that makes no sense. IMO it's a close call. The guy you'd have to discuss this with is Josh Allen. Seriously.

Woodman
02-24-2023, 09:52 AM
True. But IMO you have to decide if Woods is a better player than Davis because you're not bringing Woods in as a backup, that makes no sense. IMO it's a close call. The guy you'd have to discuss this with is Josh Allen. Seriously.

Woods is great when he jumps into the slot as well.

He doesn't have to always be on the outside.

I'd love the 3 headed monster of Davis, Diggs and Woods.

Lots of options with these 3 of course.

justasportsfan
02-24-2023, 11:41 AM
Woods is great when he jumps into the slot as well.

He doesn't have to always be on the outside.

I'd love the 3 headed monster of Davis, Diggs and Woods.

Lots of options with these 3 of course.

plus Shakir.

Khalil Shakir training with Buffalo Bills legend ahead of year two

Eric Moulds, arguably the most physically gifted receiver to be drafted by the team, shared on Instagram that he is training Shakir over the next few weeks.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2023/02/khalil-shakir-training-with-buffalo-bills-legend-ahead-of-year-two.html

Mr. Pink
02-24-2023, 11:52 AM
We have to get over this mentality that just because we drafted a guy doesn't mean he's going to be good or valuable going forward.

It's way more likely Shakir isn't on this team after his rookie deal is done than he's going to turn into any kind of contributor.

And it's not like he even showed that he has much to offer on top of it.

He's a bottom of the roster WR. Nothing more, nothing less.

sukie
02-24-2023, 12:08 PM
We have to get over this mentality that just because we drafted a guy doesn't mean he's going to be good or valuable going forward.

It's way more likely Shakir isn't on this team after his rookie deal is done than he's going to turn into any kind of contributor.

I said this about Davis going into year one.

Woodman
02-24-2023, 01:22 PM
Shakir should get much more of an opportunity this season ....

Davis is in his contract year .... so I'm betting he will have a big year as well.

justasportsfan
02-24-2023, 02:29 PM

If anything people are getting tired of guys like Edmunds, Oliver, Espenesa and now even Rosseau taking forever to develop into players we had hoped for. Theres Cody ford as well who was a bust.
However, we cant give up as well after having players like Moulds who didnt become te player he was until his 3rd season.

Woodman
02-24-2023, 05:21 PM
If anything people are getting tired of guys like Edmunds, Oliver, Espenesa and now even Rosseau taking forever to develop into players we had hoped for. Theres Cody ford as well who was a bust.
However, we cant give up as well after having players like Moulds who didnt become te player he was until his 3rd season.

Right on! :cheers:

YardRat
02-24-2023, 05:30 PM
By that logic just cut the whole team, sign the "replacements" and hire Gene Hackman as coach.

My point was 12m is not a number for a player of Woods caliber that screams "cut". It's odd.

Tennessee was in worst cap shape in Buffalo. Cutting Lewan ($14.8), Bullock ($2.1) and Cunningham ($8.9) still didn't get them under the cap. Woods' $12 mil got them to $11.3 under, and he would have had the sixth (I think) highest cap number on the team in '23.

IMO it's nowhere near as odd as any Bills fan that wants to cut their best offensive lineman, Morse, to save less ($11.3 mil) to try and get under the cap.

Woodman
02-26-2023, 10:40 PM
Tennessee was in worst cap shape in Buffalo. Cutting Lewan ($14.8), Bullock ($2.1) and Cunningham ($8.9) still didn't get them under the cap. Woods' $12 mil got them to $11.3 under, and he would have had the sixth (I think) highest cap number on the team in '23.

IMO it's nowhere near as odd as any Bills fan that wants to cut their best offensive lineman, Morse, to save less ($11.3 mil) to try and get under the cap.

Can't cut Morse.

Saratoga Slim
02-27-2023, 09:31 AM
Can't cut Morse.

Yeah let's not make another hole. That said, I'm all about drafting a Center prospect who can play guard until Morse moves on via retirement or contract expires. Kinda like the Eagles did with Landon Dickerson. Get a Center in the pipeline now, cause Morse is a concussion away....And I also think Beane is more likely to spend a high draft pick on a Center transtion plan than on a pure Guard.

Historian
02-27-2023, 09:38 AM

....but....but....he's juggling with Eric Moulds!!!!

Bill Cody
02-27-2023, 09:41 AM

It could be that TN is going to full rebuild mode. And Woods is about to turn 31. Not old but Woods is on the downside of his career. 12m still isn't a terrible salary for him but I guess it isn't that odd if that's the direction the team is going.

Woodman
02-27-2023, 11:46 AM
Yeah let's not make another hole. That said, I'm all about drafting a Center prospect who can play guard until Morse moves on via retirement or contract expires. Kinda like the Eagles did with Landon Dickerson. Get a Center in the pipeline now, cause Morse is a concussion away....And I also think Beane is more likely to spend a high draft pick on a Center transtion plan than on a pure Guard.

Center has been a priority for at least two years ...... c'mon guys!!!!

Saratoga Slim
02-27-2023, 02:53 PM

And you are confident of this following his 20 career targets? I think he's still got a pretty good chance to contribute.

Woodman
03-09-2023, 10:07 AM
Is Woods still available?

When does it all begin?

Mr. Pink
03-09-2023, 02:34 PM
And you are confident of this following his 20 career targets? I think he's still got a pretty good chance to contribute.

Yes.

I am confident that a low round draft pick has very little chance at being important piece going forward just because he wears the colors.

swiper
03-09-2023, 06:40 PM
Robert Woods is the one guy over the past ten years I wish they had found a way to hold on to. Sadly I don't think he has enough left in the tank to contribute.

kgun12
03-09-2023, 08:47 PM
Yes.

I am confident that a low round draft pick has very little chance at being important piece going forward just because he wears the colors.

Kinda like Isaiah Hodgins?

Mr. Pink
03-10-2023, 07:25 AM
Kinda like Isaiah Hodgins?

I don't get the fascination with that guy to be honest.

He didn't put up that good of numbers in NY. He had an average year on a team that has no wide receivers. Someone had to get the ball. Doesn't mean he's going to be a star going forward. However he did at least show more than what Shakir did so he does have something to build upon. Still, if I was the Giants I wouldn't lay my wide receiver room on him being a leader or building block in the future.

For every Marques Colston there's dozens of guys like Austin Proehl.

Forward_Lateral
03-10-2023, 09:15 AM
There will be a bunch of options via Free agency, if they choose to go that route. Thielen is going to be released by the Vikings, and he's a very intriguing option

swiper
03-10-2023, 11:55 AM
There will be a bunch of options via Free agency, if they choose to go that route. Thielen is going to be released by the Vikings, and he's a very intriguing option

He was released two hours ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/vikings-release-veteran-receiver-adam-thielen/ar-AA18tbHV

Edit: wow do the Vikings have some money problems.

kgun12
03-10-2023, 12:03 PM
I don't get the fascination with that guy to be honest.

He didn't put up that good of numbers in NY. He had an average year on a team that has no wide receivers. Someone had to get the ball. Doesn't mean he's going to be a star going forward. However he did at least show more than what Shakir did so he does have something to build upon. Still, if I was the Giants I wouldn't lay my wide receiver room on him being a leader or building block in the future.

For every Marques Colston there's dozens of guys like Austin Proehl.

Marques Colston was a beast in college, my son played against him coming out of college I don’t think there was any concern he would be productive in the NFL. Maybe not as good as he ended up but for sure good.

I good agree that Hodgins isn’t going to be in Colaton class, but I do think Shakir is going to be better than you think.

Forward_Lateral
03-10-2023, 01:36 PM
He was released two hours ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/vikings-release-veteran-receiver-adam-thielen/ar-AA18tbHV

Edit: wow do the Vikings have some money problems.
Look at the Saints and tell me how they could afford to give Carr all that money

notacon
03-10-2023, 02:47 PM
Look at the Saints and tell me how they could afford to give Carr all that money

Before the 2021 season the Saints were $100M over the cap and last year they had to “figure out a $76M problem” (https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/saints-salary-cap-tracker-how-they-cleared-millions/article_2fd48ed0-ad4b-11ed-a56c-a3dec69c85e4.html).

Teams get it done because the cap is so fungible.

swiper
03-10-2023, 04:18 PM
Some people have not a clue how things work. They can keep trying.

Woodman
03-10-2023, 08:25 PM
Report- Texans agree to terms with Robert Woods on two-year deal - ProFootballTalk (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/10/report-texans-agree-to-terms-with-robert-woods-on-two-year-deal/)

The Texans don’t know who their quarterback will be, but they do have another weapon for him. Houston, which has the No. 2 overall pick, has agreed to terms with free agent receiver Robert Woods (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/9302/robert-woods).
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports it’s a two-year, $15.25 million deal with $10 million fully guaranteed and a maximum value of $17 million.

swiper
03-11-2023, 04:59 AM
Final landing spot says a lot about Woods situation. He goes to a team with no viable QB. A lousy team that agreed to pay him a lot more than he's worth.

Forward_Lateral
03-11-2023, 07:53 AM
Oh well. I’m probably the biggest Woods fan you will ever meet. I have over 200 of his autographed rookie cards of various sets

notacon
03-11-2023, 12:42 PM
The reported (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/10/report-texans-agree-to-terms-with-robert-woods-on-two-year-deal/) two year deal for Woods for $15.25M with $10M fully guaranteed and a maximum value of $17M is fairy reasonable for a team like Houston that is in fill rebuild mode, with a #2 overall draft pick QB coming into the fold.

For a team like the Buffalo Bills, that deal would be counterproductive and not very good.

I wish Woods well and am very happy that we don’t have to put up with the ‘we should sign Woods’ drivel.

Mr. Pink
03-11-2023, 06:46 PM
Marques Colston was a beast in college, my son played against him coming out of college I don’t think there was any concern he would be productive in the NFL. Maybe not as good as he ended up but for sure good.

I good agree that Hodgins isn’t going to be in Colaton class, but I do think Shakir is going to be better than you think.

When you slip to the 7th round you have questions. If anyone thought Colston would have been productive he would have been picked earlier in the draft. There are diamonds in the rough and Colston is definitely one of them. I mentioned Proehl because we drafted him and he had the family pedigree going for him as well, figured he'd be a guy people around here would remember.

To hope that Shakir can be good is one thing but to expect it is another and the sense I've gathered from this board is that people kind of expect Shakir to take some kind of step forward next year. I'm just saying he didn't show much as a rookie and it's short sighted to expect a lower round draft pick that doesn't wow from the start to have things click for him a year or more down the line. Part of that is due to the fact these later round picks don't have the same time to try and develop as an early pick does. You blow a 1st or 2nd rounder and you're going to give the guy chances to right the ship unless you're an utter and total trainwreck whereas a late round pick is a guy who if he develops great, if he doesn't, you just take another the next year or a UDFA or regular FA.

That's where Shakir is to me. He's just another guy who's way more likely to not even be here next season then someone anyone should be counting on to perform at a high level.

kgun12
03-11-2023, 08:28 PM
When you slip to the 7th round you have questions. If anyone thought Colston would have been productive he would have been picked earlier in the draft. There are diamonds in the rough and Colston is definitely one of them. I mentioned Proehl because we drafted him and he had the family pedigree going for him as well, figured he'd be a guy people around here would remember.

To hope that Shakir can be good is one thing but to expect it is another and the sense I've gathered from this board is that people kind of expect Shakir to take some kind of step forward next year. I'm just saying he didn't show much as a rookie and it's short sighted to expect a lower round draft pick that doesn't wow from the start to have things click for him a year or more down the line. Part of that is due to the fact these later round picks don't have the same time to try and develop as an early pick does. You blow a 1st or 2nd rounder and you're going to give the guy chances to right the ship unless you're an utter and total trainwreck whereas a late round pick is a guy who if he develops great, if he doesn't, you just take another the next year or a UDFA or regular FA.

That's where Shakir is to me. He's just another guy who's way more likely to not even be here next season then someone anyone should be counting on to perform at a high level.

We will have to agree to disagree on Shakir, I was very happy when they drafted him and I said from the beginning and continue to believe he’s going to develop into a good player.

Time will tell.

The reason I think Colston fell so far was because he played at Hofstra and the competition he played against.