• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Roughing the Passer Reviewable ??

NFL team proposes rule to make roughing the passer reviewable

An NFL team has proposed a new rule that would make roughing the passer reviewable by replay, NFL Network's Judy Battista reported on Sunday.

The proposed rule -- which Battista reported is not expected to be supported by the league's Competition Committee -- would be voted on by ownership during March's Annual League Meeting, unless it is withdrawn.

The NFL Competition Committee held meetings on Sunday in Indianapolis, where the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine will take place this week. During the meeting, the committee looked at more than 80 plays of roughing the passer and found three that it deemed questionable, Battista reported.

Per Battista, the conversation was centered on "sling vs. slam." The slam, when a defender picks up the quarterback in the air and slams him onto the ground, is when it becomes problematic, according to Battista. The "sling" is considered the natural progression of the play.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • jamze132
    • Jun 2003

Re: Roughing the Passer Reviewable ??

Roughing the Passer has become a complete joke but there’s no way they’re going to loosen the standards since QBs are too highly paid now.

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

I'm all for looking at certain rules, or penalties.

In this case, the problem is not the penalty, but the subjective enforcement of such.

Until the league takes the job of referee more seriously, the competition committee becomes moot.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
        • Mar 2004

Watch the XFL. They have Blandido (I'm sure there's more that just him) watching the game, and in communication with the head referee in real time. This is how the NFL should be. If they miss or make calls, they should be corrected and over ruled from the ref in the sky. I don't care if it hurts their feelings. Do better then.

Comment

• Woodman
          Legendary Zoner
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          I'm all for looking at certain rules, or penalties.

In this case, the problem is not the penalty, but the subjective enforcement of such.

Until the league takes the job of referee more seriously, the competition committee becomes moot.
          They have such a huge impact on a games outcome ..... they should face scrutiny and corrective measures need to be put in place .... I also agree with Forward Lateral's post somebody has to have the power to correct blatant errors.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
            They have such a huge impact on a games outcome ..... they should face scrutiny and corrective measures need to be put in place .... I also agree with Forward Lateral's post somebody has to have the power to correct blatant errors.
            It's a really hard job. So many things going on in 2 seconds. But I like the idea of much faster reviews. These reviews with catches are literally insane. If it takes you 5 minutes to know if the guy caught the ball there is a huge problem with the definition of a catch and with the review process. I'd say "you've got half a minute. If it isn't clear enough in that time to overturn stick with the call on the field and move along". The long delays are awful.

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
              It's a really hard job. So many things going on in 2 seconds. But I like the idea of much faster reviews. These reviews with catches are literally insane. If it takes you 5 minutes to know if the guy caught the ball there is a huge problem with the definition of a catch and with the review process. I'd say "you've got half a minute. If it isn't clear enough in that time to overturn stick with the call on the field and move along". The long delays are awful.
              You think long you think wrong.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                You think long you think wrong.
                I remember how much I wanted replay before we had it. And it's still necessary. It's just that now I hate it even though we have to have it. Which makes no sense but there it is.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Meh.

Even if they go through with this, it'll just be like a few years ago when they tried to review PI. It'll never get overturned.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Woodman
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                    I remember how much I wanted replay before we had it. And it's still necessary. It's just that now I hate it even though we have to have it. Which makes no sense but there it is.
                    It's too bad getting it right seems to be so difficult.

Comment

• Oaf
                      Do you read what you write?
                      • Jun 2007

THREE were questionable? WTF?

Comment

• Ingtar33
                        Dances With Buffaloes
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
                        THREE were questionable? WTF?
                        Whats interesting is the roughing that aren't called. I know at least 1 (likely 2) of JA's ints last year were thrown on plays that roughing the passer should have been called on (two more with pass interference or atleast defensive holding should have been called on)

in fact the roughing directly lead to one of the ints. JA was in the pocket and a NE defender hit him below the knees, not through accidently rolling into them, but throwing himself at josh's feet. That is 100% roughing in todays nfl (you can't hit a QB under the knees when he's in the pocket), yet it wasn't flagged; and the hit interrupted josh's passing attempt leading to an INT. Now IMHO that rule needs to be changed, I think it's a dumb penalty. but if it's a penalty on the books you got to call the penalty.
                        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• kgun12
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                          Whats interesting is the roughing that aren't called. I know at least 1 (likely 2) of JA's ints last year were thrown on plays that roughing the passer should have been called on (two more with pass interference or atleast defensive holding should have been called on)

in fact the roughing directly lead to one of the ints. JA was in the pocket and a NE defender hit him below the knees, not through accidently rolling into them, but throwing himself at josh's feet. That is 100% roughing in todays nfl (you can't hit a QB under the knees when he's in the pocket), yet it wasn't flagged; and the hit interrupted josh's passing attempt leading to an INT. Now IMHO that rule needs to be changed, I think it's a dumb penalty. but if it's a penalty on the books you got to call the penalty.
                          I remember most of these. If it was TB, every flag would have come out!
                          Retired Air Traffic Controller
                          USAF VETERAN
                          DAV

Comment

• notacon
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
                            I remember most of these. If it was TB, every flag would have come out!
                            You mean like this....

or this....

Tom Brady was the most coddled player in NFL history.

Comment

Working...
                            X