PDA

View Full Version : Bills re-sign Ike Boettger

Woodman
03-03-2023, 02:00 PM
Bills re-sign Ike Boettger - ProFootballTalk (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/03/bills-re-sign-ike-boettger/)

The Bills re-signed offensive guard Ike Boettger (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/910/ike-boettger) to a one-year deal, the team announced Friday.
Boettger, an interior offensive lineman, worked his way back to the field in Week 16. He played six snaps in the team’s 35-13 win over the Bears after being activated from the reserve/physically unable to perform list.

Woodman
03-03-2023, 02:02 PM
“He’s a king (https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-re-sign-g-ike-boettger-to-one-year-deal). I freaking love Ike,” quarterback Josh Allen said during the 2022 season, via Alec White of the team website. “I don’t think you can find one guy in the world that has a bad thing to say about Ike. The ultimate, ultimate team guy.”
Boettger tore his Achilles in a Dec. 26, 2021, game against the Patriots and missed almost all of last season before returning. He played only the one game in 2022.
But Boettger previously started 17 games for the Bills from 2020-21.

Woodman
03-03-2023, 02:49 PM
He's worked so damn hard to get back!

Ginger Vitis
03-03-2023, 03:19 PM
He's a backup

DraftBoy
03-03-2023, 03:29 PM
Meh, probably not worth whatever they resigned him for but can at least cover multiple spots.

Goobylal
03-03-2023, 03:39 PM
Probably minimum contract with little to no signing bonus. Low risk signing.

kgun12
03-03-2023, 03:39 PM
Meh, probably not worth whatever they resigned him before but can at least cover multiple spots.

I think versatility is an important trait for a backup O-lineman, isn’t it?

DraftBoy
03-03-2023, 04:34 PM
I think versatility is an important trait for a backup O-lineman, isn’t it?

If you’re good then sure. Bobby Hart had versatility to play both tackle and guards spots, but his talent wasn’t good so it made his versatility pretty pointless.

Woodman
03-03-2023, 04:36 PM
If you’re good then sure. Bobby Hart had versatility to play both tackle and guards spots, but his talent wasn’t good so it made his versatility pretty pointless.

Ike Boettger is leaps and bounds better than Bobbie Hart could ever hope to be.

Poor comparison.

DraftBoy
03-03-2023, 04:37 PM
Ike Boettger is leaps and bounds better than Bobbie Hart could ever hope to be.

Poor comparison.

Not really. Hart was a turnstile, but Boettger was pretty bad last year too.

Woodman
03-03-2023, 04:39 PM
Not really. Hart was a turnstile, but Boettger was pretty bad last year too.
He didn't play last year .... you're wrong about the player period.

DraftBoy
03-03-2023, 04:41 PM
He didn't play last year .... you're wrong about the player period.

You are correct, my mistake. I confused Boettger with the other below average utility OL they brought in.

Mr. Pink
03-03-2023, 04:59 PM
I don't get your point DB.

If you have versatility and are good, someone is going to sign you to a major deal to start somewhere on their line. Not just give him a small contract to be basically the first guy off the bench if necessary.

Is Hart good? Nope. But he does still bring some value to a team. Same as Ike.

Of course, you don't want to see either one on the field because the ideal is that your starters stay healthy, but you can carry one less OL on the roster if you have guys who can play multiple spots, at a minimum, around average.

YardRat
03-03-2023, 05:09 PM
Good, we needed to bring him back.

DraftBoy
03-03-2023, 05:17 PM
I don't get your point DB.

If you have versatility and are good, someone is going to sign you to a major deal to start somewhere on their line. Not just give him a small contract to be basically the first guy off the bench if necessary.

Is Hart good? Nope. But he does still bring some value to a team. Same as Ike.

Of course, you don't want to see either one on the field because the ideal is that your starters stay healthy, but you can carry one less OL on the roster if you have guys who can play multiple spots, at a minimum, around average.

Versatility is only good if you have the talent to actual preform at an optimal level. If you can’t then your versatility is pretty useless.

Goobylal
03-03-2023, 05:30 PM
Bring in every OL you can and let them compete.

kgun12
03-03-2023, 06:29 PM

A silly response, you do realize this isn’t 1989 when you could stockpile talent, don’t you?

DraftBoy
03-05-2023, 07:00 AM
A silly response, you do realize this isn’t 1989 when you could stockpile talent, don’t you?

No, can you explain to me how the calendar and years work using only construction paper?

kgun12
03-05-2023, 10:16 AM
No, can you explain to me how the calendar and years work using only construction paper?

This coming from a person that was sure Boettger played badly last year. How do we take you serious? Read slowly so you can comprehend, before the salary cap you could stockpile players that were almost as good as your starters. With the cap, backup’s that play well don’t stay backups for long, so there is a considerable drop off behind your staters.

While we’re getting your expert opinions, can you breakdown Hyde’s play the second half of the season? :;

Sorry I didn’t use construction paper, were you able to understand, I tried to dumb it down so even you could understand it!

notacon
03-05-2023, 11:38 AM
This coming from a person that was sure Boettger played badly last year. How do we take you serious? Read slowly so you can comprehend, before the salary cap you could stockpile players that were almost as good as your starters. With the cap, backup’s that play well don’t stay backups for long, so there is a considerable drop off behind your staters.

While we’re getting your expert opinions, can you breakdown Hyde’s play the second half of the season? :;

Sorry I didn’t use construction paper, were you able to understand, I tried to dumb it down so even you could understand it!

Ike Boettger’s tearing his Achilles was tough to come back from. He is a great depth O-lineman, and I’m thrilled he’s coming back next year.

What’s particularly interesting is how Josh Allen raves about him as Josh is quoted (https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-re-sign-g-ike-boettger-to-one-year-deal)...

"He's a king. I freaking love Ike," QB Josh Allen said during the 2022 season. "I don't think you can find one guy in the world that has a bad thing to say about Ike. The ultimate, ultimate team guy.”

When the unquestioned leader of the team has got your back like that, it’s notable.

DraftBoy
03-05-2023, 07:49 PM

You didn’t explain calendar or years work along with failing to use construction paper. That’s a complete failure.

Also your logic when it comes to cap doesn’t even begin to contemplate the actual point. If you’d like to try again then feel free to give it a shot, but next time just say you’re ok with settling.

kgun12
03-05-2023, 08:00 PM
You didn’t explain calendar or years work along with failing to use construction paper. That’s a complete failure.

Also your logic when it comes to cap doesn’t even begin to contemplate the actual point. If you’d like to try again then feel free to give it a shot, but next time just say you’re ok with settling.

Damn I knew I typed to fast for you. Your lack of football knowledge has been exposed and most of us see it. You obviously didn’t even really read the post, but you were going to defend you position and show us how knowledge you were but got caught. Just admit it you screwed up, we all do, just maybe not so embarrassingly.

BTW, I’m still waiting for you to give us your analysis of Hyde’s second half of the season!

Night Train
03-06-2023, 05:46 AM
Paid him just to rehab in 2022. A marginal backup on his best day and how will that get better exactly ? We'll see.

DraftBoy
03-06-2023, 07:01 AM
Paid him just to rehab in 2022. A marginal backup on his best day and how will that get better exactly ? We'll see.

100%

Mr. Pink
03-06-2023, 07:43 AM

There's nothing wrong with marginal backups that have versatility.

You're not going to get stars as backups, you just want serviceable average guys there in case you need them in a pinch. And if they have versatility on top of it, it's a bonus.

Novacane
03-06-2023, 07:59 AM
Back ups are almost all marginal. That's why they are back ups. Pretending there's starter quality back ups floating around is nonsense. They'd be starting somewhere.

Bill Cody
03-06-2023, 09:27 AM
I like Ike

kgun12
03-06-2023, 10:14 AM
Mr. Pink Novacane and BC get it, this isn’t that hard to understand! In today’s NFL yoo are not got to have starting quality back ups, you only hope for serviceable when a starter gets hurt. To say that the back is just average, we’ll no kidding!

Woodman
03-06-2023, 10:29 AM
Paid him just to rehab in 2022.
The Bills must have thought an awful lot of him wouldn't you say?

swiper
03-06-2023, 12:11 PM
He's a backup

Undrafted in 2018, the year the Bills took Wyatt Teller in the 5th round. They traded the wrong guy to the Browns.

swiper
03-06-2023, 12:13 PM
Mr. Pink Novacane and BC get it, this isn’t that hard to understand! In today’s NFL you are not got to have starting quality back ups, you only hope for serviceable when a starter gets hurt. To say that the back is just average, we’ll no kidding!

I'm sure coach Kromer had some weigh-in on whether to bring him back or not. If Kromer thought it was worthwhile, then fine.