• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Players & Schemes - Beane Knows It's Time To Step Up

The off-season is just starting and Beane has a lot of work to do.

It started IMO with Frazier leaving. Beane drafted Oliver and Rousseau in the 1st round. Epenesa and Basham in the 2nd round. Took a massive shot on Von Miller. Signed a lot of Vet depth for the rotaion.
    He has to think he got shorted on returns (season stats aside, it's winning in the post season that counts) and must have told Frazier that.
    Suddenly, he's " Stepping away for a year " . Yeah, OK. He's out. Time will tell if it's players or scheme but only Miller is costing him $. The rest are on rookie deals. Other Vets are going to be replaced or signed to short term deals again.

Next up - Dorsey - Allen went to bat for him and it was his first year calling an O. Now to view him in year 2 with more help, which is to be determined and with an idea of making things easier for our QB.
    Allen forced way too many plays last season, resulting in incomplete passes and bad turnovers. Tossing it long too frequently on 3rd and short was maddening. Too many scrambles.
    An actual slot receiver and a RB who can catch moves the chains and keeps drives alive, in addition to cutting down on Allen trying to make superman plays. You paid Knox a lot. Start looking more his way. That's up to Dorsey to call those plays and make Allen believe it's a good thing.

McDermott - Beane worked with him in Carolina - Brought stability and improved the locker room . Can he go deep in the post-season ? That is to be determined but he's running out of time.
    The man he emulated, Andy Reid, went to 1 SB in 14 years in Philly. Amazing they gave him that much time before making a change. Then he went to KC and got a stud QB in Mahomes. 2 SB wins. McDermott should be feeling some heat with a top QB here. Don't waste his prime.

The next move, which should happen over the next few days is redoing some contracts to free up cap space. No choice. Have to set aside $$ just for the draft picks, let alone Vet FA.

Then comes FA. Bargain hunting, I'm guessing. Depth. Maybe a starter or 2. Depends on cap space left after setting aside the draft pool $. Some backups will have to step up. I'ts not all about the new shiny toys. You developed some guys on todays roster to play more than Special teams.

Needs ? There's always a lot in the cap age, especially after you pay your franchise QB and a few others. OL, RB, WR, Secondary, LB and more.

Beane is in complete charge of this team. He's not going to sink with McDermott if they don't take a perceived step forward. They're not married.

I personally don't care where players get drafted or who they sign in FA. Only Beane should care how much they make. He has to balance the cap. It costs me nothing financially.

Find useful help and scheme the units properly. Our Special Teams unit is excellent. Time for the O and D to catch up. Scheme to your talent.

You all have eyes and don't need a crafted narrative to explain what you're seeing when the games are on. Let's see what Beane can do the next few months and whether the schemes match up with the talent.

Watching.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: Players & Schemes - Beane Knows It's Time To Step Up

Get to work Mr. Beane it's your time to shine!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• kgun12
      • Jul 2002

Excellent summary NT! Before some of you guys start spewing the we were number whatever offensive and defensively REMEMBER, NTVis talking about the post season.

My hope moving forward is we don’t overpay for one good season or to “get over the top”. Specifically I’m talking about players like Knox and to some extent Miller. I completely understand the philosophy of Miller, and yes injuries can happen at any age, but the minute I heard we signed him and the details of the contract I told my son the Bills were crazy to sign him for that long and that much money. Would or will I change my tune if we win a SB and his contributions are that noticeable probably, but I think his money could have been better spent.

Can’t wait until Monday for the games to begin!!!
      Retired Air Traffic Controller
      USAF VETERAN
      DAV

Comment

• Prov401
        President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
        • Aug 2008

Beane also drafted Ed Oliver over Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, and Jeffrey Simmons. He seems to find gems later on in the draft, but he's been very suspect the first few rounds. We need big returns on Rousseau and Elam in 2023.

Comment

• kgun12
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Prov401 View Post
          Beane also drafted Ed Oliver over Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, and Jeffrey Simmons. He seems to find gems later on in the draft, but he's been very suspect the first few rounds. We need big returns on Rousseau and Elam in 2023.
          With the lack of draft choices and cap space, we need to hit on at least 2out of our top 3 picks this year, then throw them in the fire and let them pop! (I just made that saying upland I like it, lol!)
          USAF VETERAN
          DAV

Comment

• tonyc37
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
            The off-season is just starting and Beane has a lot of work to do.

It started IMO with Frazier leaving. Beane drafted Oliver and Rousseau in the 1st round. Epenesa and Basham in the 2nd round. Took a massive shot on Von Miller. Signed a lot of Vet depth for the rotaion.
            He has to think he got shorted on returns (season stats aside, it's winning in the post season that counts) and must have told Frazier that.
            Suddenly, he's " Stepping away for a year " . Yeah, OK. He's out. Time will tell if it's players or scheme but only Miller is costing him $. The rest are on rookie deals. Other Vets are going to be replaced or signed to short term deals again.

Next up - Dorsey - Allen went to bat for him and it was his first year calling an O. Now to view him in year 2 with more help, which is to be determined and with an idea of making things easier for our QB.
            Allen forced way too many plays last season, resulting in incomplete passes and bad turnovers. Tossing it long too frequently on 3rd and short was maddening. Too many scrambles.
            An actual slot receiver and a RB who can catch moves the chains and keeps drives alive, in addition to cutting down on Allen trying to make superman plays. You paid Knox a lot. Start looking more his way. That's up to Dorsey to call those plays and make Allen believe it's a good thing.

McDermott - Beane worked with him in Carolina - Brought stability and improved the locker room . Can he go deep in the post-season ? That is to be determined but he's running out of time.
            The man he emulated, Andy Reid, went to 1 SB in 14 years in Philly. Amazing they gave him that much time before making a change. Then he went to KC and got a stud QB in Mahomes. 2 SB wins. McDermott should be feeling some heat with a top QB here. Don't waste his prime.

The next move, which should happen over the next few days is redoing some contracts to free up cap space. No choice. Have to set aside $$ just for the draft picks, let alone Vet FA.

Then comes FA. Bargain hunting, I'm guessing. Depth. Maybe a starter or 2. Depends on cap space left after setting aside the draft pool $. Some backups will have to step up. I'ts not all about the new shiny toys. You developed some guys on todays roster to play more than Special teams.

Needs ? There's always a lot in the cap age, especially after you pay your franchise QB and a few others. OL, RB, WR, Secondary, LB and more.

Beane is in complete charge of this team. He's not going to sink with McDermott if they don't take a perceived step forward. They're not married.

I personally don't care where players get drafted or who they sign in FA. Only Beane should care how much they make. He has to balance the cap. It costs me nothing financially.

Find useful help and scheme the units properly. Our Special Teams unit is excellent. Time for the O and D to catch up. Scheme to your talent.

You all have eyes and don't need a crafted narrative to explain what you're seeing when the games are on. Let's see what Beane can do the next few months and whether the schemes match up with the talent.

Watching.
            I agree.Get the players and if they don’t fit the scheme then change the scheme.We worry way to much about fit.We don’t draft or sign certain players cause they don’t fit.

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

Rookies must play more.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                Rookies must play more.
                This is a big deal. Not just what happens on the field they aren't getting the reps during the week either. It builds up and there are developmental setbacks. It's a very difficult mixture of stuff to manage.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by tonyc37 View Post
                  I agree.Get the players and if they don’t fit the scheme then change the scheme.We worry way to much about fit.We don’t draft or sign certain players cause they don’t fit.
                  yep costly things have happened here. Go get the best players you can and coach them to their strengths. Is this what we do? Nope.

Comment

• Mace
                    Haha...yeah you think so ?
                    • Mar 2013

I'm getting wary about this program...and it has little to do with Beane...who supplies them with what the coaching staff seems to want in players for desired roles. Some of the fa's have made me cranky...but again...not sure if it's on scouting or the coaching staff. This many years into the program...I feel Beane has done his job and the coaching staff has been insufficient in scheming for their personnel.

Comment

• kgun12
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                      I'm getting wary about this program...and it has little to do with Beane...who supplies them with what the coaching staff seems to want in players for desired roles. Some of the fa's have made me cranky...but again...not sure if it's on scouting or the coaching staff. This many years into the program...I feel Beane has done his job and the coaching staff has been insufficient in scheming for their personnel.
                      Not only scheming but developing, our top draft choices don’t play enough in their rookie year and then don’t make a huge jump in their second or third year.
                      USAF VETERAN
                      DAV

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

I honestly have no confidence in Beane’s ability to draft.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Whether it's the draft...or free agency...or coaching...or execution...the appropriate mix of all of the above...The Process isn't good enough. It's nice to win the division and make the playoffs every year, but if that is the ceiling then everybody in the organization deserves scrutiny and needs to take a hard look at themselves and do what they can to make it better, because getting your ass kicked in the playoffs every season isn't the ultimate goal.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• swiper
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2010

And while Beane has had several of his draft picks under-produce, the process missteps are actually on McDermott. McDermott goes under the microscope more than Beane.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              Whether it's the draft...or free agency...or coaching...or execution...the appropriate mix of all of the above...The Process isn't good enough. It's nice to win the division and make the playoffs every year, but if that is the ceiling then everybody in the organization deserves scrutiny and needs to take a hard look at themselves and do what they can to make it better, because getting your ass kicked in the playoffs every season isn't the ultimate goal.
                              Agreed to a point. 13 seconds wasn't a butt kicking.

This past year, one could see it slowly coming. Barely getting by Miami and then no-showing vs. Cinci wasn't totally surprising. They were showing bad signs for a good month. I cannot speculate how messed up mentally they were after the Hamlin situation. I guess those questions will never be clearly settled.

On D, they seemed way too dependent on Miller to be the pass rush and then his injury exposed a lack of plan B.

On O, it's was all put on Allen without any sense of balance. The help was there but the play calls were puzzling.

Now Frazier is gone and Dorsey has an actual resume to review and correct many shortcomings. Running back the same calls on either side of the ball isn't acceptable in 2023.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X