PDA

View Full Version : Connor McGovern Dallas..Not Jets signed

cookie G
03-13-2023, 01:07 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Bills</a> have agreed to terms with G Connor McGovern on a three-year, $23 million deal, source says. Former third-round pick of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cowboys?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cowboys</a> heading to Buffalo. <br><br>This means 50% of the Connor McGoverns available in free agency have agreed to deals.</p>&mdash; Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1635339008728510465?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 13, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Meh...but what I'd expect.

Overpay for middling OL.

Woodman
03-13-2023, 01:15 PM
Good news as we add to the trenches.

YardRat
03-13-2023, 01:38 PM
Probably the new right guard, with Bates and Boettger battling for the left spot. But considering the right side is allegedly his best position and this club's recent history they'll probably try to force him in on the left side.

DraftBoy
03-13-2023, 01:40 PM
At least they're being aggressive...?

Forward_Lateral
03-13-2023, 01:54 PM
Meh, the numbers mean nothing until we see the guarantees. I'm guessing not much of it is guaranteed.

Night Train
03-13-2023, 02:12 PM
Everybody is overpaid.

I'll wait until seeing him play before playing taps

Welcome.

Joe Fo Sho
03-13-2023, 02:18 PM
Keep going with the offensive lineman, Beane.

DraftBoy
03-13-2023, 02:24 PM
Probably the new right guard, with Bates and Boettger battling for the left spot. But considering the right side is allegedly his best position and this club's recent history they'll probably try to force him in on the left side.

All reports thus far are assuming he'll likely slide in at LG.

Saratoga Slim
03-13-2023, 02:38 PM
Gave up two sacks and 7 QB hits on 909 snaps last season. Only flagged once in 15 games. And only 25. Seems like an improvement in pass pro, and has upside.

I'd still like to see them add an IOL prospect to the mix though in the middle of the draft. Maybe someone who plays Center and can back up both positions.

Saratoga Slim
03-13-2023, 02:40 PM
All reports thus far are assuming he'll likely slide in at LG.

Or maybe they bounce Bates back to LG, and McGovern slides in at RG?

Woodman
03-13-2023, 02:41 PM
Gave up two sacks and 7 QB hits on 909 snaps last season. Only flagged once in 15 games. And only 25. Seems like an improvement in pass pro, and has upside.

I'd still like to see them add an IOL prospect to the mix though in the middle of the draft. Maybe someone who plays Center and can back up both positions.

Sounds pretty damn good to me!!

DraftBoy
03-13-2023, 02:46 PM
Or maybe they bounce Bates back to LG, and McGovern slides in at RG?

It's possible, I was just sharing that the reports thus far are saying they believe this signing was to fill the hole at LG.

Saratoga Slim
03-13-2023, 02:55 PM
It's possible, I was just sharing that the reports thus far are saying they believe this signing was to fill the hole at LG.

Yup, I think most national reporters just see the hole left by Saffold at LG and figure that's where the new guy must be going. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Bates seemed like he was more effective at LG in 2021 than at RG last year. If Bates got moved to accommodate Saffold's lack of flexibility, maybe bringing in a true RG will work out for both.

Ed
03-13-2023, 02:56 PM
It looks like he was the starting LG for the Cowboys last season, but also has experience playing RG. I just saw an article that also seemed to think that he was a much better RG than LG in his spot duty starts prior to the 2022 season.

Mace
03-13-2023, 02:56 PM
That's not backup money...so we shall have no o'cyrus torrence. I have read he's a left guard also.

Meh.

YardRat
03-13-2023, 03:27 PM
Is he Irish or Scottish? Makes a difference.

Night Train
03-13-2023, 03:29 PM
All-Meh, according to our resident GM's. LOL.

sukie
03-13-2023, 03:41 PM
McGovern, a former third-round pick back in 2019, was used in a rotational role during his first two seasons (including as a fullback at times) before taking over as the Cowboys' starting left guard in 2022

cbs sports

Night Train
03-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Picture in Buff News shows him at Center. Versitility. That's what the locals are saying. FWIW.

Historian
03-13-2023, 04:35 PM
I'm for any move that protects Josh Allen.

TacklingDummy
03-13-2023, 04:39 PM

Agreed

#1: Protect Josh Allen

#2: Give Josh Allen weapons to throw to. Which will be easier with #1 being accomplished.

#3: Cover the receivers, rush the passer.

Mace
03-13-2023, 05:10 PM

Me too. They've just made too many feeble ones to give me any confidence in this one. For the years they've had their franchise gem... the list of players they've put in front of him is extensive and makes you wince.

Kenny
03-13-2023, 06:40 PM
I dont know... from what I've read he was the weak link on the Cowboy's OL.

If it was the McGovern that played center, than I'd be ecstatic. But this McGovern... I hope I'm wrong.

DraftBoy
03-13-2023, 08:16 PM
$9M guaranteed in Year 1, that’s likely starter money. Mark IOL off the top of the draft board.

Cap Hit only $4M this year.

Ed
03-13-2023, 10:05 PM
I listened to a Bills podcast earlier and learned a few more things about McGovern. He has a super high RAS rating of 9.76, which is an NFL metric that measure athleticism on a scale of 1-10. Morse and Bates both scored around 9.5, Dawkins around 8.5, and Spencer Brown was a perfect 10. You can read more about RAS if you like, but it stands for Relative Athletic Score.

In the NFL McGovern has played 1,200+ snaps as a LG, 100+ snaps as a Center, and 700+ as a RG. In college he played 1,400+ snaps as a RG and 900+ as a Center. At Penn St. he was teammates with Ryan Bates which I didn't realize. I assume at his official signing later this week they'll do a press conference, so it will be interesting to hear about their relationship and if they've talked about playing on the left or right.

This seems to fall in line with what the Bills have been looking for in their OL. Guys with size, length, versatility, and excellent athleticism.

YardRat
03-14-2023, 05:12 AM
I wish Beane cared less about RAS and more about game tape.

ParanoidAndroid
03-14-2023, 08:07 AM
But does he love Jesus. That's the real test.

Anyway, this is a moderate upgrade as far as I can tell, but we need to get much better at RT. Brown had an abysmal year.

cookie G
03-14-2023, 10:15 AM
That's not backup money...so we shall have no o'cyrus torrence. I have read he's a left guard also.

Meh.

I strongly doubt they would have drafted him anyway.

I don't hate the signing, I'm not enamored with it. Thus, meh. It reminds me of signing Jeff Hartgertner (sp.), years ago. With the cap space the way it was...I wasn't expecting them to sign a Pro Bowler anyway.

At least they got someone who can keep a DT out of the backfield for a few seconds.

On a humorous note...If you look at his pro comparison on NFL.com for his draft year...the comp is...

Roger Saffold. And yeah, I realize that we signed Saffold about 2 years too late, but he was a really good OL during his day.

It does take away the sense of dire urgency from "you MUST draft an OL early to, you SHOULD draft OL early.

And even if he does work out, Saffold wasn't the only problem on the OL. RT is still a big concern as much as I hoped (hope) Spencer Brown worked out. But a back injury that needed surgery at such a young age doesn't give me much hope. And I wouldn't be shocked if this wasn't Morse's last year.

If its me, considering who might be there at 27, I strongly consider Darnell Wright of Tennessee. Very good season last year, very good Senior Bowl, very good combine. No sacks in an SEC schedule, won in his battle against the best pass rusher in the draft, doesn't normally get beat to the outside.

There will still be good IOL available in the 2nd, if they want.

Avila
Joe Tippman
Schmitz
Stromberg
Braeden Davis

Anyhoo...one thing that bothers me. As bad as he is in some areas, Jerruh, is really pretty good at recognizing OL talent, and normally keeps guys that show promise and produce. McGovern is 25, was a regular starter for 1 year. They had the cap room or could have easily created room.. I wonder why they didn't keep him? Maybe they expect Tyron Smith to be healthy again and move last year's 1st round pick Tyson Smith to lg. idk..

senseofdoom
03-14-2023, 11:15 AM
In a vacuum this is a meh signing but when a guy like Ben Powers is getting 13M+ per year it starts looking a lot better.

Cover 1 film if anyone's interested in seeing some game tape:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rucXFyIRbBg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Bill Cody
03-14-2023, 11:29 AM
I strongly doubt they would have drafted him anyway.

I don't hate the signing, I'm not enamored with it. Thus, meh. It reminds me of signing Jeff Hartgertner (sp.), years ago. With the cap space the way it was...I wasn't expecting them to sign a Pro Bowler anyway.

At least they got someone who can keep a DT out of the backfield for a few seconds.

On a humorous note...If you look at his pro comparison on NFL.com for his draft year...the comp is...

Roger Saffold. And yeah, I realize that we signed Saffold about 2 years too late, but he was a really good OL during his day.

It does take away the sense of dire urgency from "you MUST draft an OL early to, you SHOULD draft OL early.

And even if he does work out, Saffold wasn't the only problem on the OL. RT is still a big concern as much as I hoped (hope) Spencer Brown worked out. But a back injury that needed surgery at such a young age doesn't give me much hope. And I wouldn't be shocked if this wasn't Morse's last year.

If its me, considering who might be there at 27, I strongly consider Darnell Wright of Tennessee. Very good season last year, very good Senior Bowl, very good combine. No sacks in an SEC schedule, won in his battle against the best pass rusher in the draft, doesn't normally get beat to the outside.

There will still be good IOL available in the 2nd, if they want.

Avila
Joe Tippman
Schmitz
Stromberg
Braeden Davis

Anyhoo...one thing that bothers me. As bad as he is in some areas, Jerruh, is really pretty good at recognizing OL talent, and normally keeps guys that show promise and produce. McGovern is 25, was a regular starter for 1 year. They had the cap room or could have easily created room.. I wonder why they didn't keep him? Maybe they expect Tyron Smith to be healthy again and move last year's 1st round pick Tyson Smith to lg. idk..

For whatever reason McGovern plays well at RG and absolutely blows at LG. So if Smith is healthy that could be why

Woodman
03-14-2023, 05:35 PM
Cover 1 film if anyone's interested in seeing some game tape:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rucXFyIRbBg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I like this signing. :cheers:

kgun12
03-14-2023, 05:46 PM
I like this signing. :cheers:

I do to, wouldn’t mind them taking another lineman in the first two rounds.

swiper
03-14-2023, 05:50 PM
Bye-bye Saffold is the good news.

Woodman
03-14-2023, 05:53 PM
I do too, wouldn’t mind them taking another lineman in the first two rounds.

Agree 100% keep building that front line.

It's just smart football.

Woodman
03-14-2023, 05:55 PM
Bye-bye Saffold is the good news.

Love that part! :cheers: