DraftBoy
03-13-2023, 02:59 PM
Per Rapsheet on Twitter.

YardRat
03-13-2023, 03:00 PM
Huh. And Edwards from the Eagles?

Novacane
03-13-2023, 03:01 PM
NFC is good. Just in case he ever becomes as great as Nota and Joe B think he is.

Forward_Lateral
03-13-2023, 03:01 PM
Chicago going ham.

YardRat
03-13-2023, 03:02 PM
4 yrs $72mil $50 guaranteed

Forward_Lateral
03-13-2023, 03:06 PM

Good luck!

The largest guaranteed 4 year contract for any ILB in the NFL. Good riddance.

Cali512
03-13-2023, 03:06 PM
Im pretty sure hell play OLB in a 4-3

Jack Sanborn had 64 tackles, 2 sacks, 5 tkfl in 5 games

Edmunds had 100 tackles, 6 tkfl, 1 sack in 15 games

I think hell play SLB

Woodman
03-13-2023, 03:07 PM
He's gone!!

Please delete mine!

kgun12
03-13-2023, 03:10 PM

Woodman
03-13-2023, 03:12 PM

Beat me to it! :D

kgun12
03-13-2023, 03:14 PM
So with them signing both Edwards and Edmunds, I bet they’re going to put Edwards in the middle and move Edmunds to the rush LBer, which is where he should be.

- - - Updated - - -

Im pretty sure hell play OLB in a 4-3

Jack Sanborn had 64 tackles, 2 sacks, 5 tkfl in 5 games

Edmunds had 100 tackles, 6 tkfl, 1 sack in 15 games

I think hell play SLB

Didn’t see this, lol!

Mace
03-13-2023, 03:14 PM
I guess our professional experts didn't value him as highly as their professional experts.

Woodman
03-13-2023, 03:15 PM
We had him in the wrong position somebody noticed I guess. :idunno:

Night Train
03-13-2023, 03:24 PM

That's insane, IMO.

Woodman
03-13-2023, 03:26 PM
That's insane, IMO.
Edmunds does to ..... made it easier to sign. :D

kgun12
03-13-2023, 03:31 PM
I’m happy they overpaid for him but I’m pi$$ed they signed Edwards too! Just goes to show you money was more important to him than going to a contender, then again maybe the contenders didn’t value him for all that money.

Woodman
03-13-2023, 03:33 PM
Bears are spending.

Bears set to sign Nate Davis - ProFootballTalk (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/13/bears-set-to-sign-nate-davis/)

Bears set to sign Nate Davis

Borosai
03-13-2023, 03:34 PM
Should've traded him last year before the draft. Now they get nothing, other than the opportunity to upgrade the position. At least the FO was smart enough not to double down on a miss.

Woodman
03-13-2023, 03:34 PM
Davis played 55 games and made 54 starts for the Titans over the last four seasons. He made 12 of those starts during the 2022 season and will likely be stepping into a starting job up front for Chicago once the deal becomes official.

The Bears also agreed to a deal with linebacker T.J. Edwards (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/51758/tj-edwards) on Monday and they picked up wide receiver DJ Moore (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/1191/dj-moore) in last week’s trade involving the first overall pick in the draft.

Woodman
03-13-2023, 03:36 PM
Should've traded him last year before the draft. Now they get nothing, other than the opportunity to upgrade the position. At least the FO was smart enough not to double down on a miss.

Addition by subtraction .... we used him wrong all the way.

Looking forward to all the new blood now!!

kgun12
03-13-2023, 03:39 PM

This is how I feel about Oliver.

Woodman
03-13-2023, 03:42 PM
This is how I feel about Oliver.
Agree .... hoped he'd be better than what we got.

Should have moved him.

:gobills:

kgun12
03-13-2023, 03:42 PM
Has anyone checked on noty? Not being sarcastic either!

notacon
03-13-2023, 03:51 PM
Has anyone checked on noty? Not being sarcastic either!

:rofl: Thanks for your “concern”. My daily routine has me posting here in the morning (Pacific time and hardly ever after 12:30PDT) but, I’m making an exception for this big news.....

notacon
03-13-2023, 03:52 PM
The haters got their perverse wish.

The Bills defense just got much worse, and the Bear’s much better. It is a HUGE loss for the Bills.

Money talks and bullcrap walks.

$18M APY with a whopping $50M guaranteed speaks LOUDLY to how highly regarded and valued a talent like Tremaine Edmunds is around the NFL...a fact I have been telling everyone for years.

It also shows how wrong that haters have been concerning him for years.

Chicago had literally the most cap space in the NFL (#98M)and the Bills had some of the least (minus $22M, fifth least). The Bears are spending their riches well. GREAT move for them that will give their defense an immediate shot in the arm. Edmunds will provide an immediate positive impact for pretty bad defense last year, ranked 4th WORST in 2022.

The Bills really wanted to keep Edmunds, but just could not afford him. The Bears could.

I wish Tremaine well. He was a fantastic player, and strong leader for the Bills.

It’s time to try and find a replacement, which is not going to be easy.

kgun12
03-13-2023, 03:52 PM
:rofl: Thanks for your “concern”. My daily routine has me posting here in the morning (Pacific time and hardly ever after 12:30PDT) but, I’m making an exception for this big news.....

I’m sorry for you, I know how much you loved him.

Cali512
03-13-2023, 03:55 PM

Interesting... check your dms

Mace
03-13-2023, 03:56 PM
So with them signing both Edwards and Edmunds, I bet they’re going to put Edwards in the middle and move Edmunds to the rush LBer, which is where he should be.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn’t see this, lol!

I still can't see him as a rush lb...he gets tangled in blocks by running backs.

We used him passively...cover two gaps and a zone and take care of anyone else's mistakes.

Reduce his responsibilities....let him attack....move him around. He's a wildcard. Our defense has no vision or creativity.

Canadian'eh!
03-13-2023, 03:57 PM

The Bills defense just got much worse, and the Bear’s much better. It is a HUGE loss for the Bills.

$18M APY with a whopping $50M guaranteed speaks LOUDLY to how highly regarded and valued a talent like Tremaine Edmunds is around the NFL...a fact I have been telling everyone for years.

Chicago had literally the most cap space in the NFL (#98M)and the Bills had some of the least (minus $22M, fifth least). The Bears are spending their riches well. GREAT move for them that will give their defense an immediate shot in the arm. Edmunds will provide an immediate positive impact for pretty bad defense last year, ranked 4th WORST in 2022.

The Bills really wanted to keep Edmunds, but just could not afford him. The Bears could.

I wish Tremaine well. He was a fantastic player, and strong leader for the Bills.

False. Bears just overpaid for a guy they will regret signing. They already hope to change his position. He’s soft as butter in summer.

we will be far better without him.

sahlensguy
03-13-2023, 03:59 PM

Went to a team with a qb on a rookie deal. No surprise.

notacon
03-13-2023, 04:01 PM
Interesting... check your dms

I did. I’m mulling it over and avoiding a knee jerk reaction. It’s not that important to me to respond quickly.

YardRat
03-13-2023, 04:07 PM
McBeane handled this poorly from the start.

They overpaid to move up and over draft him. They put him in a position that might be the weakest use of his strengths. They didn't move him to a different spot after a couple of years when it was obvious the middle wasn't a fit. They didn't move him to a different team when they could have gotten something in return (like prior to last season), and they didn't appropriately prepare for a replacement (like drafting one last season).

So much for 'the experts'.

notacon
03-13-2023, 04:07 PM
I’m sorry for you, I know how much you loved him.

Man ‘o man did you read that all wrong.

I’m sorry for the TEAM because he was an extremely valuable player and I want my team to succeed. He undeniably helped the team succeed.

It’s not personal to me because I do not “love” any football player. That’s kinda sick and I feel sorry for the people that DO “love” something as inconsequential as a football player.

I “love” my wife. I “love” my children. I “love” my siblings. I don’t “love” my cats although I am attached to them. :D:

A football player is just another entertainer to me. I’ve NEVER been a celebrity hound. They exist to entertain me.

Family is forever, entertainment is fleeting.

Turf
03-13-2023, 04:09 PM
Basically it comes down to the Bills wanted Von more than Edmunds. I would pick Von over Edmunds. He is not enough of an impact player to get that kind of money.

kgun12
03-13-2023, 04:10 PM

A couple things about this, if the Bills really wanted him, they wouldn’t have never let him get to FA, they have plenty of options to create cap space, they did not. Like I’ve said before, all that stuff they said about was coaches speak and nothing else. Second you are partly right, Chicago has the most cap space and overpaid to get him to come to the worst team in the NFL. It could also be said that Edmunds was more concerned about money then winning.

Night Train
03-13-2023, 04:11 PM
Bears had 76 Mil in cap space.

Historian
03-13-2023, 04:12 PM
Can he play quarterback?

BWAHAHAHA!!!

kgun12
03-13-2023, 04:13 PM

I’m sorry for the TEAM because he was an extremely valuable player and I want my team to succeed. He undeniably helped the team succeed.

It’s not personal to me because I do not “love” any football player. That’s kinda sick and I feel sorry for the people that DO “love” something as inconsequential as a football player.

I “love” my wife. I “love” my children. I “love” my siblings. I don’t “love” my cats although I am attached to them. :D:

A football player is just another entertainer to me. I’ve NEVER been a celebrity hound. They exist to entertain me.

You were sure pretty emotional and called A LOT of people A LOT of names for a guy that didn’t love him. BTW I’m not talking anything perverted or bad with the term love.

YardRat
03-13-2023, 04:13 PM

Oh my goodness. You are going to be soooooo banned when Lecter sees this, the burning smell of your account being torched is going to stink up the place for weeks.

Woodman
03-13-2023, 04:14 PM

Carry on! :gobills:

Cali512
03-13-2023, 04:15 PM
I did. I’m mulling it over and avoiding a knee jerk reaction. It’s not that important to me to respond quickly.

Okay. I appreciate it. I just want to get some common ground with us and get to know eachother as people

YardRat
03-13-2023, 04:16 PM
Basically it comes down to the Bills wanted Von more than Edmunds. I would pick Von over Edmunds. He is not enough of an impact player to get that kind of money.

A couple things about this, if the Bills really wanted him, they wouldn’t have never let him get to FA, they have plenty of options to create cap space, they did not. Like I’ve said before, all that stuff they said about was coaches speak and nothing else. Second you are partly right, Chicago has the most cap space and overpaid to get him to come to the worst team in the NFL. It could also be said that Edmunds was more concerned about money then winning.

Bingo.

If they thought he was that important and they wanted to keep him they had the opportunity and money to do it last year, or the year prior.

They've never had a problem coming up with money for anybody else they considered vital to their success.

notacon
03-13-2023, 04:21 PM
BTW....the haters will go on (probably) for years continuing to **** on Edmunds with silly self-serving bullcrap like "So much for 'the experts’.”

In reality, the “experts” have been correct all along, and the self-proclaimed “experts” here that don’t know as much as they think they do are the ones that have been proven wrong.

Edmunds is now 4th highest paid LB (APY) in the NFL. Every one of those around him (measured by APY) represent the best at the LB position in the NFL. Edmunds IS, in fact, one of the best LB’s in the NFL....now validated with cold, hard cash.

The more accurate observation is ’SO much for ’the Bills “fan” experts’. (their hubris represents the “bullcrap” in the statement above)

They can do so all they want. All it shows is that their arrogant hubris will live on and make no more sense than their years long smearing has.

Have fun. Since Edmunds in no longer on my team, I really don’t give a flying crap anymore.

Cali512
03-13-2023, 04:23 PM
BTW....the haters will go on (probably) for years continuing to **** on Edmunds with silly self-serving bullcrap like "So much for 'the experts’.”

In reality, the “experts” have been correct all along, and the self-proclaimed “experts” here that don’t know as much as they think they do are the ones that have been proven wrong.

Edmunds is now 4th highest paid LB (APY) in the NFL. Every one of those around him (measured by APY) represent the best at the LB position in the NFL. Edmunds IS, in fact, one of the best LB’s in the NFL....now validated with cold, hard cash.

The more accurate observation is ’SO much for ’the Bills “fan” experts’. (their hubris represents the “bullcrap” in the statement above)

They can do so all they want. All it shows is that their arrogant hubris will live on and make no more sense than their years long smearing has.

Have fun. Since Edmunds in no longer on my team, I really don’t give a flying crap anymore.

Deal ��

notacon
03-13-2023, 04:25 PM
Bears had 76 Mil in cap space.

I used this (https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/every-nfl-team-available-cap-space-before-2023-free-agency/) as a source.

justasportsfan
03-13-2023, 04:43 PM

One of the experts like the bills brass you.kept saying agreed with you didn't agree with you.

notacon
03-13-2023, 04:50 PM
You were sure pretty emotional and called A LOT of people A LOT of names for a guy that didn’t love him. BTW I’m not talking anything perverted or bad with the term love.

Like I said earlier....Man ‘o man did you read that all wrong.

I express my strong opposition to what posters write. Very little “name calling” (expect in defending myself from others calling ME names).

This is a message board. It’s not real life. It’s like a crowded sports bar where people enjoy bickering. Although I ALWAYS am 100% honest, more importantly I am BLUNT.

Just like in a bar.

I AM attached to the Buffalo Bills. Jesus...I’ve been a long suffering Bills fan since 1963. I don’t “love” them because “love” is reserved for real people that are close to me.

I do admit to thinking like the Bills are kinda-sorta like extended “family” (but not like REAL family...that’s something that’s very special), and when I hear my “family" getting unfairly **** on...I defend them. With GUSTO!!!

It may seem “pretty emotional” to you, but growing up in a very large (real) Sicilian extended family that gathered together every week, which was a loud, boisterous, opinionated, no-holds-barred (to outsiders) brawl.....expressing my opinions in a strong, unabashed, blunt and sometimes loud manner is inbred.

Maybe you just have a boring reserved background instead of the fiery, vibrant, joyfully freedom of expression one that I relate to. Along with most of my career succeeding in the rough and tumble New York City business world.

Being a wall flower just does not compute in my reality. Maybe it’s just that you can’t handle such blunt, painfully honest, boisterous expressions of opinions. That’s your shortcoming, not mine.

Could be your background in the military has got your sphincter tight as a drum (that is not meant as any kind of insult....just a blunt and honest observation of what military type discipline is all about).

Although I suspect that much of the banter that goes on in the barracks is pretty similar to how I express myself.

kgun12
03-13-2023, 04:51 PM
But you kept telling us how much the Bills GM, coaches, the mega expert Joe B. thought about him and that he would definitely be resigning by the Bills. Like I said, these people don’t say anything bad about their players. There was cap room to sign him if the Bills wanted to, but you keep spinning this, we get it.

notacon
03-13-2023, 04:52 PM
One of the experts like the bills brass you.kept saying agreed with you didn't agree with you.

Yes they did. This was a cap casualty. Use your head and try to be honest.

Mace
03-13-2023, 04:52 PM
Btw....Bears use 3 lb's. It's significant to what they can do with Edmunds....and don't need to do with him.

Mace
03-13-2023, 04:57 PM

He's a cap casualty because the Bills didn't feel he was worth the price. You have to deal with it. It's fact.

kgun12
03-13-2023, 04:57 PM

WRONG!!! Clumpy laid out how we could create plenty of cap to resign him IF THEY WANTED HIM!!!

Milano's extension was a great move because it not only saved cap space but also brought him up to the level of Pro Bowl LBs

Do NOT restructure Diggs - leave his deal alone

Do NOT restructure Dawkins - same

TRADE Ed Oliver - saves $10,753,000

Taron Johnson: Save a little a little more than $4 million by dropping his salary to $1.25 million and also converting roster bonus (add 3 years to deal)

Nyheim Hines: Same as Settle - pay cut with added incentives. Save over $1 million

Tre'Davious White: Simple restructure (include roster bonus) with additional year added saves about $6.75 million

Release McKenzie: saves about $2.1 million

That's $24,603,000 than add Settle's and Milano's savings = about $31 million

Allen's simple restructure - $21 million

Miller's roster bonus conversion - $10,808,000

Approximately $63 million total thus far

notacon
03-13-2023, 04:58 PM
But you kept telling us how much the Bills GM, coaches, the mega expert Joe B. thought about him and that he would definitely be resigning by the Bills. Like I said, these people don’t say anything bad about their players. There was cap room to sign him if the Bills wanted to, but you keep spinning this, we get it.
I never said that "he would definitely be resigning by the Bills.” And, no, there was no cap room to sign him where the long term cap plans must be taken into consideration.

There are all kinds of extremely good players that are moving with free agency. That is the reality of the NFL. You want to pimp this silly premise, that’s your business. It’s not reality in the least.

OK. I can see that the haters cannot be truthful and will misrepresent what I have said.

This is not going anywhere that’s not ugly....too bad.

Novacane
03-13-2023, 05:49 PM
The Bills could have created the cap room if they really wanted him.

kgun12
03-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Oh I’m not going to go back and cut and paste but you sure did!

Anyway speaking about cut and paste, we all know the Bills are going to come out wit the obituary statement how we really wanted to keep him, he will be missed and we wish him the best.

Cali512
03-13-2023, 06:13 PM
Can we all just leave it alone now? We all got what we wanted, this should get notty back down emotionally since edmunds was the main thing he got heated over

Lets just move on and wait to see how this plays out. Im excited to see a thumper in this defense if we go after one. I think that may be pretty telling. If we draft an athletic freak again who is good at coverage, that may show that we valued edmunds more than we thought. If we go after a downhill thumper, then we probably were looking to move on

But we got what we want, and notty even said that hes not a bill anymore so who cares

Im done with the argument, we got what we wanted, notty got his piece because of his insane contract, lets stop arguing

(im very aware i have been the biggest culprit of this for the last 2 years)

Lets move on

swiper
03-13-2023, 06:19 PM
I guess our professional experts didn't value him as highly as their professional experts.

But, but, but Joe B. said.

https://media.tenor.com/mteGKpKlpkYAAAAC/idiot-lmfao.gif

Edmunds and Frazier gone. The defense is better already.

swiper
03-13-2023, 06:24 PM
Just goes to show that the one poster that thinks he knows everything really knows zero about football. It seems everyone else got this.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it is a duck.

Novacane
03-13-2023, 07:04 PM
Can we all just leave it alone now? We all got what we wanted, this should get notty back down emotionally since edmunds was the main thing he got heated over

Lets just move on and wait to see how this plays out. Im excited to see a thumper in this defense if we go after one. I think that may be pretty telling. If we draft an athletic freak again who is good at coverage, that may show that we valued edmunds more than we thought. If we go after a downhill thumper, then we probably were looking to move on

But we got what we want, and notty even said that hes not a bill anymore so who cares

Im done with the argument, we got what we wanted, notty got his piece because of his insane contract, lets stop arguing

(im very aware i have been the biggest culprit of this for the last 2 years)

Lets move on

No! What else is there to talk about. Oh, and we didn't all get what we wanted. We all go what we knew would happen. Some team would pay him more than the Bills valued him.

Historian
03-13-2023, 07:10 PM

You could probably still sell your Tremaine Edmunds Underoos on Ebay and get most of your money back....

Turf
03-13-2023, 07:14 PM

A cap casualty of a 1st round pick at the age of 25 tells you he wasn't worth what he wanted. No matter how "perverse" your thinking may be.

justasportsfan
03-13-2023, 08:23 PM

Lol. No they didnt. First if all they didn't even bother pickiing yp the 5th year option and didn't bother making an offer .

Novacane
03-13-2023, 08:27 PM
They knew they could do better.

DraftBoy
03-13-2023, 08:29 PM
I do like Edmunds playing outside in a 4-3 much more than inside. With his speed off the edge in blitz or run fits where he free from a lot of the traffic, that makes sense. Eberhaus going back to Urlacher-Briggs days in Chicago.

He could unlock Edmunds into a completely different player.

Mr. Pink
03-13-2023, 09:28 PM
Edmunds won't work as a pass rush LB. There were stats that proved how bad his rush % was. Just like how bad his coverage was.

Edmunds has zero football instincts and constantly runs into blockers, blockers he can't shed because he has no pass rush moves or strength.

I said all along he'll get a huge contract because a. that's how FA works in the NFL and b. people love his athleticism.

Good riddance to the bust.

Woodman
03-13-2023, 09:39 PM
Bears add another free agent, plucking DeMarcus Walker from the Titans - ProFootballTalk (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/13/bears-add-another-free-agent-plucking-demarcus-walker-from-the-titans/)

Walker, a second-round pick of the Broncos in 2017, spent four years in Denver, one in Houston, and one in Tennessee.
He had a career-high seven sacks in 2022, appearing in 17 games with six starts.
Chicago’s day-one haul includes linebacker T.J. Edwards (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/51758/tj-edwards), linebacker Tremaine Edmunds (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/915/tremaine-edmunds), and guard Nate Davis (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/51681/nate-davis).

Chet
03-14-2023, 04:44 AM
I’ll miss all his splash plays and iconic 3rd/4th down stops when we needed them the most

Night Train
03-14-2023, 04:59 AM
Bears chasing names over actual talent. 76 Mil in cap room could be spent far better.

This is like the Bills years back when they signed Dockery and Walker to play on the OL to huge deals. " I've HEARD of them ! "

Ugh...

imbondz
03-14-2023, 07:35 AM
I’m all for players getting as much as they can in their prime. Good for Edmunds. I wouldn’t be saying that if it was Diggs or Milano. They’re worth restructuring contracts. Edmunds could/should be a beast tho.

Novacane
03-14-2023, 07:39 AM
The media are already doing the Bears are winning FA shows lol. Idiots never learn.

Bill Cody
03-14-2023, 10:23 AM
A cap casualty of a 1st round pick at the age of 25 tells you he wasn't worth what he wanted. No matter how "perverse" your thinking may be.

C'mon man. I have basically stayed out of this ENDLESS back and forth between Noty and the Edmunds detractors. And now mercifully this "debate" is over. But there has been SO SO much rubbish posted in these Edmunds threads. Ridiculous really.
A fair reading of Edmunds career here and his departure is as follows:

1) Beane used a TON of draft capital to get him and drafted him when he was very young. That set the bar from the jump unrealistically high, the guy was actually a bit of a project.
2) Up until last year Edmunds had shown flashes of being great but also had a lot of growing pains, which were inevitable for such a young player.
3) Last year Edmunds was brilliant and showed Beane was right about his potential.
4) It was very very obvious Edmunds was going to get a huge contract somewhere after the season and also very obvious other teams would have more cap space and more need to make a "splash" (like the Bears) than the Bills.
5) The fact that Edmunds got the contract he did should end the debate about whether he's a great player. Sadly people have dug in and Noty can be a little enthusiastic in defending his positions so you get these garbage and endless back and forths.

Bottom line: I wish Edmunds well unless he's playing Buffalo. It wasn't his fault he was young and raw when he got here. It wasn't his fault he was overdrafted. He played hard for the Bills and it was not his fault the Bills fell short last year. That's all I have on this. Do carry on.

notacon
03-14-2023, 01:27 PM
This may be the last post is write for this thread. It’s tiresome engaging with the unreasonable trolling.

So, I’m going to pack in a lot of info, and thoughts. And address a couple of particularly divisive and lame posts….

Just goes to show that the one poster that thinks he knows everything really knows zero about football. It seems everyone else got this.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it is a duck.

:rofl: Actually, it’s exactly the opposite. Your misrepresentation of what I HAVE written is quite obvious.

I have NEVER, and I mean NEVER said or think (how do you know what I “think” anyway??...the answer is, you don’t. Not even close) that “knows everything….about football”

In FACT, I have repeatedly quoted NFL experts, NFL GM’s….etc…etc….etc….and have been pilloried over that.

The FACT is that what I DO think is that I am smart enough (and humble enough) to listen and respect REAL NFL experts that know a LOT more about football than ANYONE here.

I certainly value and respect the opinions of real NFL experts over some of the posters here that think they know a lot more about football than they actually do.

My premise has NEVER been refuted, and yesterday’s signing of Edmunds has, once again, validated and proved, without any doubt, that my premise is 100% accurate.

That the moaning and groaning and ****ting on Tremaine Edmunds by some “fans” what (and still is) hyperbolic rubbish and NOT shared, in any way, shape or form, by the REAL experts in the NFL.

And yes, I am talking abut the crap like…”he’s a bust” (surprise, surprise we are still hearing that crap right here (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262750-Edmunds-to-the-Bears?p=5010074&viewfull=1#post5010074))…that he was “the worst NFL in the NFL…that he was a ”liability” to the Bills….that he “sucks” and on and on and on.

Outside those disgruntled “fans” that know a lot lees about football than they think they do, was 100% refuted by every sports writer, every NFL expert that ever talked about Edmunds.

When shielded by anonymity to speak freely and bluntly, and asked to rank the best off-ball LB’s in the NFL, over 50 NFL experts ranked him in the top 10 three years in a row…. 2020 (https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/29460392/ranking-nfl-top-10-linebackers-2020-best-hybrid-playmakers-d)….2021 (https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31765336/ranking-nfl-top-10-linebackers-2021-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks) AND 2022 (https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/34168579/ranking-nfl-top-10-ball-linebackers-2022-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks-best-linebackers).

That ranking, from REAL NFL experts has been 100% vindicated and validated when, for the first time he could after the rookie contract was over, Edmunds is being PAID as a top 10 LB. Just like he deserves.

As for the idea that…

Lol. No they didn’t {sic}. First if all they didn't even bother pickiing yp {sic} the 5th year option and didn't bother making an offer .

Is woefully uninformed and, well, a totally inaccurate.

The Bills DID, in FACT, pick up Edmunds fifth year option….which paid him a guaranteed $12.7M in 2022.

They picked it up almost TWO YEARS ago… (https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/03/buffalo-bills-fifth-year-option-josh-allen-tremaine-edmunds/)a fact that every cognizant Bills fans should know….where have you been?!?!?

The idea that they “didn’t bother making him an offer” is pulled directly out of your ass, and has no basis in reality.

We do not know exactly what transpired between the team and Edmunds’s agent, but it is MUCH more likely that (as has been reported many, many times) the Bills loved Edmunds and badly wanted him back.

The realities of the cap, for 2023 and forward, as Josh Allen’s huge commitment takes hold for the first time in 2023, had almost everyone in the football world recognizing that it would be very difficult, if not impossible for the Bills to afford him.

Of course, that reality is based on the FACT that Edmunds was highly valued around the NFL and was poised to be offered top dollar in the LB market. (which he was).

And that came though in spectacular fashion when the Bears made him (as has been reported all over) the highest paid inside LB in NFL history.

What probably transpired, is that after the Bills picked up Edmunds fifth year option, his AGENT advised Edmunds to sit tight and do not seriously consider ANY offer made by the Bills, instead, wait until FA came along to cash in, like was expected he would be able to do by everyone who knows anything around the NFL.

After the 2022 season ended, I suspect that the two sides talked a little bit, and the Bills could have easily made him a very lucrative offer (and probably DID), that still possibly maintained their cap plans going forward.

Again, a smart agent would advise Edmunds to reject ALL offers from the Bills and wait out FA, with the educated knowledge that the Bills could not afford what Edmunds was going to get on the open market…..especially to maintain a reasonable balance vis ‘a vis positional expenditures.

I read that Edmunds asking price was $17M a year….well outside the Bills desire and ability to pay a LB, especially considering they already had $10M+ invested in Milano. (I’ll get back to that point in a moment)

The Bear’s wanted Edmunds so badly (and I suspect that had their sights on him when they traded Roquan Smith) that when his agent told them his asking price was $17M….they said, OK….how about $18M!!!

Not surprisingly, Edmunds deal was one of the first to happen after the legal tampering period opened up.

From the Bills perspective, Edmunds fifth year option of $12.7M was a relative bargain, and coupled with Milano’s $10M+ APY, allocating about $23M for starting LB’s is relatively reasonable, BUT, still on the high side given how the NFL has changed recently.

The big picture on allocation of resources paints a pretty clear picture. Here is the APY as sourced from Ovethecap (https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills), for the two starters (for positions that have two, which is all except TE, where this is the two highest paid players), Edmunds number is what it what the Bears signed him to….$18M APY…sorted from lowest to highest….(note that Singletary’s 2022 compensation was $2,798,956 which does not effect the allocations to RB being the lowest of all positions)

<tbody>
RB

Devin Singletary
$974,500

James Cook
$1,458,016

$2,432,516

DT

DaQuan Jones
$7,000,000

Ed Oliver
$4,918,789

$11,918,789

G

Connor McGovern
$7,670,000

Ryan Bates
$4,250,000

$11,920,000

TE

Dawson Knox
$13,000,000

Quintin Morris
$787,500

$13,787,500

T

Dion Dawkins
$14,575,000

Spencer Brown
$1,202,030

$15,777,030

S

Micha Hyde
$9,625,000

Jordan Poyer
$9,750,000

$19,375,000

CB

Tre' White
$17,250,000

Kaiir Elam
$3,422,703

$20,672,703

EDGE

Von Miller
$20,000,000

Greg Rousseau
$2,910,315

$22,910,315

WR

Stefon Diggs
$24,000,000

Gabe Davis
$998,593

$24,998,593

LB

Edmunds
$18,000,000

Matt Milano
$10,375,000

$28,375,000

</tbody>

It does not make sense to allocate the most resources for LB. It’s simply not sustainable, nor is it smart.

With the knowledge that it was going to be almost imposable to retain Edmunds, the Bills did the smart thing and locked in Milano for two more years. At a relatively cheap price of only $14M per year, which means his APY for his full contract is now about $12M.

If the Bills could have extended Edmunds for $14M APY (or even $15M), it would have probably been done.

In fact, those that are saying that the Bills did not want Edmunds, and would have made room for him if they did…

Could be applied to Milano as well in that they did not think he was worth $18M APY or they would have paid that.

I felt it necessary to address these points. The bottom line is that my premise has always been spot on, it’s never been refuted, and now has been validated 100%.

Chicago is overjoyed at landing Edmunds and making him the centerpiece of their defense, and the poorly performing 2022 defense has gotten a huge shot in the arm with the addition of Tremaine.

As Joe B. analyzed the loss of Edmunds (https://theathletic.com/4297023/2023/03/13/buffalo-bills-free-agency-tracker-deals-2023/)….

Buscaglia’s analysis: The Bills will miss Edmunds sorely. The writing appeared on the wall with Edmunds once the Bills announced the contract extension for star linebacker Matt Milano through 2026 (https://theathletic.com/4299909/2023/03/12/bills-matt-milano-contract-extension/?source=twitterhq). The days after the NFL combine usually give teams a good idea of what the market for their upcoming free agents will look like, and that Milano decision likely signaled the Bills knew they were priced out on Edmunds.

As highly as they value the linebacker position, carrying two linebackers for four seasons with humongous cap hits likely would never be a long-term solution. Now they’ll have to decide how to proceed without Edmunds starting next to Milano for the first time since 2018. The Bills will likely explore free agency to find a suitable replacement for Edmunds if only a short-term one.

No wonder The Athletic (NOT by Joe B.) gave this move a high mark of “A”….

NFL free-agency grades: The good, bad and ugly of every major agreement (https://theathletic.com/4296168/2023/03/14/nfl-free-agency-2023-grades/)

Bears score LB Tremaine Edmunds

The former Bills (https://theathletic.com/nfl/team/bills/) playmaker lands a four-year, $72 million contract, featuring $50 million in guaranteed money.
After yielding 375.9 yards per game (fourth-most) and a league-high 27.2 points per game, Chicago’s intentions of improving its defense are clear. The Bears opened free agency by adding T.J. Edwards from Philly. Now they get the highly coveted Edmunds, who was No. 8 on The Athletic’s ranking of free agents (and No. 2 linebacker), to further fortify (https://theathletic.com/4305440/2023/03/13/bears-tremaine-edwards-free-agency-fit/) their defensive front. Boasting great size (6-5, 250) and athleticism, Edmunds makes plays all over the field whether against the run, as a pass-rusher or in pass coverage.

Grade: A

And SI’s Conor Orr is saying….

The Bears Are Acing a Pivotal Offseason so Far (https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/14/nfl-chicago-bears-acing-pivotal-offseason)

Chicago traded the No. 1 pick and then added a pair of linebackers, finding good value in every move. (https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/14/nfl-chicago-bears-acing-pivotal-offseason)

On Monday, at the opening of the legal tampering period (https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/08/2023-nfl-free-agency-grades-javon-hargrave-chris-lindstrom-ben-powers), he also signed T.J. Edwards and Trumaine Edmunds to solidify the team’s linebacking corps. While these move garnered some mixed reviews, given that the Bears have so many defensive needs, let’s look at it from both an economic standpoint and a situational standpoint. While most general managers prefer to build their defenses from the line and secondary first, Poles recognized two important factors about this year’s market specifically:

• The cost of defensive linemen, especially defensive tackles, was going to be off the charts. Players like Javon Hargrave, who is 30, are getting four-year deals in the $84 million range.

• The Bears are not going to fix their entire defense in one swing, but in a market that was expected to be down (generally speaking) for non-top-of-market inside linebackers, Poles signed two of the best players available, both of whom are 26 or younger. Edmunds (four years, $72 million, $50 million in guarantees) ends up making $2 million less per season than Roquan Smith, whom the Bears traded away last year for a second-round pick. Smith also earned $10 million more in guarantees than Edmunds in the contract he signed with the Ravens in January, and Edmunds specifically fits what Matt Eberflus wants out of his defense.

So, the Bears got Edmunds and T.J. Edwards for $24 million in 2023 (plus whatever they can add with Baltimore’s second-round pick), while the Ravens have only Smith.

More...

But, as I have said, now that Edmunds is no longer a member of the Buffalo Bills, it’s time to move on.

He’s gone. There is a BIG hole in the Bills defense, and now is the time for Beane to step up and fill it.

I, for one, will wait until the full off season is over, until after the draft to judge the direction the Bills are moving towards.

Time to step it up on OFFENSIVE WEAPSONS!!! Enough with spending high draft capital almost exclusively on defense.

Sign a good WR. Sign or trade for a good RB (maybe consider Eckler?). Bolster the O-line. Sign O-linemen (or draft) better than mid-level G Connor McGovern.

Woodman
03-14-2023, 01:42 PM
Buffalo Bills re-sign Tyrel Dodson to one-year contract - Buffalo Rumblings (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2023/3/14/23639864/buffalo-bills-re-sign-tyrel-dodson-to-one-year-contract-nfl-free-agency-tremaine-edmunds)

The Buffalo Bills (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/) and Tyrel Dodson agreed to a new, one-year contract on Tuesday, March 14, per the Buffalo Bills PR twitter account. Dodson, a restricted free agent with the Bills this offseason, was originally an undrafted free agent who signed with Buffalo after the 2020 NFL Draft (https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-draft). His contract details for 2023 were not immediately available.

swiper
05-07-2023, 05:50 AM
C'mon man. I have basically stayed out of this ENDLESS back and forth between Noty and the Edmunds detractors. And now mercifully this "debate" is over. But there has been SO SO much rubbish posted in these Edmunds threads. Ridiculous really.
A fair reading of Edmunds career here and his departure is as follows:

1) Beane used a TON of draft capital to get him and drafted him when he was very young. That set the bar from the jump unrealistically high, the guy was actually a bit of a project.
2) Up until last year Edmunds had shown flashes of being great but also had a lot of growing pains, which were inevitable for such a young player.
3) Last year Edmunds was brilliant and showed Beane was right about his potential.
4) It was very very obvious Edmunds was going to get a huge contract somewhere after the season and also very obvious other teams would have more cap space and more need to make a "splash" (like the Bears) than the Bills.
5) The fact that Edmunds got the contract he did should end the debate about whether he's a great player. Sadly people have dug in and Noty can be a little enthusiastic in defending his positions so you get these garbage and endless back and forths.

Bottom line: I wish Edmunds well unless he's playing Buffalo. It wasn't his fault he was young and raw when he got here. It wasn't his fault he was overdrafted. He played hard for the Bills and it was not his fault the Bills fell short last year. That's all I have on this. Do carry on.

This post is not correct whatsoever. Edmunds was a waste of a pick. Just because the Bears threw stupid money at him doesn't mean anything. They did the same to Khalil Mack who couldn't wait to get out of Chicago. Mack, a very good LB, should be what the Bills got from Edmunds. They didn't. He had five years to give us only 6.5 sacks. He couldn't provide TFL to save his life. His first year of the five was his most productive, yielding 121 tackles. It was progressively downhill after that. Let's deal with facts, fluffboy. Let's deal with facts germaine to the MLB position. His tackles went from 121 -> 115 -> 119 ->108 ->102 while playing 92-96% of snaps in every season.

His last season was his best, you say? No. Not even close. He never even sniffed being top ten in tackles. Let's look at some facts. Where he fell in the NFL in tackles (numbers above):

2022 - he was 51st in the NFL in tackles. That's pathetic for your starting MLB.
2021 - 32 in the NFL.
2020 - 16 in the NFL.
2019 - 20th in the NFL.
2018 - 14th in the NFL.

Now I'll give you that after 2018, being 14th in the league, there might have been reason for hope - but only if he continued to improve. He didn't. Period. So it's good you stayed out of this thread, because you too look foolish.

You want to say - "well the Bills got his for his pass coverage?" He sucked there too. Passes completed against Edmunds:

2022 - 65%
2021 - 78%
2020 - 67.2%
2019 - 65.4%
2018 - 78.5%

There is no arguement that he was any good. And again, if you actually watched the games, all he ever did was arrive at the pile after the player was tackled. Good riddance. Edmunds fluffers are so stupid.

Edmunds stats (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdmuTr01.htm)

Analyst Calls out Bills’ Tremaine Edmunds: ‘More Hype Than Production’ (https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/pff-calls-out-bills-tremaine-edmunds/)

swiper
05-07-2023, 05:52 AM
This may be the last post is write for this thread. It’s tiresome engaging with the unreasonable trolling.

So, I’m going to pack in a lot of info, and thoughts. And address a couple of particularly divisive and lame posts….

:rofl: Actually, it’s exactly the opposite. Your misrepresentation of what I HAVE written is quite obvious.

I have NEVER, and I mean NEVER said or think (how do you know what I “think” anyway??...the answer is, you don’t. Not even close) that “knows everything….about football”

In FACT, I have repeatedly quoted NFL experts, NFL GM’s….etc…etc….etc….and have been pilloried over that.

The FACT is that what I DO think is that I am smart enough (and humble enough) to listen and respect REAL NFL experts that know a LOT more about football than ANYONE here.

I certainly value and respect the opinions of real NFL experts over some of the posters here that think they know a lot more about football than they actually do.

My premise has NEVER been refuted, and yesterday’s signing of Edmunds has, once again, validated and proved, without any doubt, that my premise is 100% accurate.

That the moaning and groaning and ****ting on Tremaine Edmunds by some “fans” what (and still is) hyperbolic rubbish and NOT shared, in any way, shape or form, by the REAL experts in the NFL.

And yes, I am talking abut the crap like…”he’s a bust” (surprise, surprise we are still hearing that crap right here (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262750-Edmunds-to-the-Bears?p=5010074&viewfull=1#post5010074))…that he was “the worst NFL in the NFL…that he was a ”liability” to the Bills….that he “sucks” and on and on and on.

Outside those disgruntled “fans” that know a lot lees about football than they think they do, was 100% refuted by every sports writer, every NFL expert that ever talked about Edmunds.

When shielded by anonymity to speak freely and bluntly, and asked to rank the best off-ball LB’s in the NFL, over 50 NFL experts ranked him in the top 10 three years in a row…. 2020 (https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/29460392/ranking-nfl-top-10-linebackers-2020-best-hybrid-playmakers-d)….2021 (https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31765336/ranking-nfl-top-10-linebackers-2021-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks) AND 2022 (https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/34168579/ranking-nfl-top-10-ball-linebackers-2022-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks-best-linebackers).

That ranking, from REAL NFL experts has been 100% vindicated and validated when, for the first time he could after the rookie contract was over, Edmunds is being PAID as a top 10 LB. Just like he deserves.

As for the idea that…

Is woefully uninformed and, well, a totally inaccurate.

The Bills DID, in FACT, pick up Edmunds fifth year option….which paid him a guaranteed $12.7M in 2022.

They picked it up almost TWO YEARS ago… (https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/03/buffalo-bills-fifth-year-option-josh-allen-tremaine-edmunds/)a fact that every cognizant Bills fans should know….where have you been?!?!?

The idea that they “didn’t bother making him an offer” is pulled directly out of your ass, and has no basis in reality.

We do not know exactly what transpired between the team and Edmunds’s agent, but it is MUCH more likely that (as has been reported many, many times) the Bills loved Edmunds and badly wanted him back.

The realities of the cap, for 2023 and forward, as Josh Allen’s huge commitment takes hold for the first time in 2023, had almost everyone in the football world recognizing that it would be very difficult, if not impossible for the Bills to afford him.

Of course, that reality is based on the FACT that Edmunds was highly valued around the NFL and was poised to be offered top dollar in the LB market. (which he was).

And that came though in spectacular fashion when the Bears made him (as has been reported all over) the highest paid inside LB in NFL history.

What probably transpired, is that after the Bills picked up Edmunds fifth year option, his AGENT advised Edmunds to sit tight and do not seriously consider ANY offer made by the Bills, instead, wait until FA came along to cash in, like was expected he would be able to do by everyone who knows anything around the NFL.

After the 2022 season ended, I suspect that the two sides talked a little bit, and the Bills could have easily made him a very lucrative offer (and probably DID), that still possibly maintained their cap plans going forward.

Again, a smart agent would advise Edmunds to reject ALL offers from the Bills and wait out FA, with the educated knowledge that the Bills could not afford what Edmunds was going to get on the open market…..especially to maintain a reasonable balance vis ‘a vis positional expenditures.

I read that Edmunds asking price was $17M a year….well outside the Bills desire and ability to pay a LB, especially considering they already had $10M+ invested in Milano. (I’ll get back to that point in a moment)

The Bear’s wanted Edmunds so badly (and I suspect that had their sights on him when they traded Roquan Smith) that when his agent told them his asking price was $17M….they said, OK….how about $18M!!!

Not surprisingly, Edmunds deal was one of the first to happen after the legal tampering period opened up.

From the Bills perspective, Edmunds fifth year option of $12.7M was a relative bargain, and coupled with Milano’s $10M+ APY, allocating about $23M for starting LB’s is relatively reasonable, BUT, still on the high side given how the NFL has changed recently.

The big picture on allocation of resources paints a pretty clear picture. Here is the APY as sourced from Ovethecap (https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills), for the two starters (for positions that have two, which is all except TE, where this is the two highest paid players), Edmunds number is what it what the Bears signed him to….$18M APY…sorted from lowest to highest….(note that Singletary’s 2022 compensation was $2,798,956 which does not effect the allocations to RB being the lowest of all positions)

<tbody>
RB

Devin Singletary
$974,500

James Cook
$1,458,016

$2,432,516

DT

DaQuan Jones
$7,000,000

Ed Oliver
$4,918,789

$11,918,789

G

Connor McGovern
$7,670,000

Ryan Bates
$4,250,000

$11,920,000

TE

Dawson Knox
$13,000,000

Quintin Morris
$787,500

$13,787,500

T

Dion Dawkins
$14,575,000

Spencer Brown
$1,202,030

$15,777,030

S

Micha Hyde
$9,625,000

Jordan Poyer
$9,750,000

$19,375,000

CB

Tre' White
$17,250,000

Kaiir Elam
$3,422,703

$20,672,703

EDGE

Von Miller
$20,000,000

Greg Rousseau
$2,910,315

$22,910,315

WR

Stefon Diggs
$24,000,000

Gabe Davis
$998,593

$24,998,593

LB

Edmunds
$18,000,000

Matt Milano
$10,375,000

$28,375,000

</tbody>

It does not make sense to allocate the most resources for LB. It’s simply not sustainable, nor is it smart.

With the knowledge that it was going to be almost imposable to retain Edmunds, the Bills did the smart thing and locked in Milano for two more years. At a relatively cheap price of only $14M per year, which means his APY for his full contract is now about $12M.

If the Bills could have extended Edmunds for $14M APY (or even $15M), it would have probably been done.

In fact, those that are saying that the Bills did not want Edmunds, and would have made room for him if they did…

Could be applied to Milano as well in that they did not think he was worth $18M APY or they would have paid that.

I felt it necessary to address these points. The bottom line is that my premise has always been spot on, it’s never been refuted, and now has been validated 100%.

Chicago is overjoyed at landing Edmunds and making him the centerpiece of their defense, and the poorly performing 2022 defense has gotten a huge shot in the arm with the addition of Tremaine.

As Joe B. analyzed the loss of Edmunds (https://theathletic.com/4297023/2023/03/13/buffalo-bills-free-agency-tracker-deals-2023/)….

No wonder The Athletic (NOT by Joe B.) gave this move a high mark of “A”….

NFL free-agency grades: The good, bad and ugly of every major agreement (https://theathletic.com/4296168/2023/03/14/nfl-free-agency-2023-grades/)

And SI’s Conor Orr is saying….

The Bears Are Acing a Pivotal Offseason so Far (https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/14/nfl-chicago-bears-acing-pivotal-offseason)

Chicago traded the No. 1 pick and then added a pair of linebackers, finding good value in every move. (https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/14/nfl-chicago-bears-acing-pivotal-offseason)

But, as I have said, now that Edmunds is no longer a member of the Buffalo Bills, it’s time to move on.

He’s gone. There is a BIG hole in the Bills defense, and now is the time for Beane to step up and fill it.

I, for one, will wait until the full off season is over, until after the draft to judge the direction the Bills are moving towards.

Time to step it up on OFFENSIVE WEAPSONS!!! Enough with spending high draft capital almost exclusively on defense.

Sign a good WR. Sign or trade for a good RB (maybe consider Eckler?). Bolster the O-line. Sign O-linemen (or draft) better than mid-level G Connor McGovern.

What a sad waste of internet space by a vacuous-minded old man. Now keep your promise that that was your last post, because you have nothing of intelligence to add in any conversation about this player.

It's hilarious to watch you try and say Edmunds is good based on what he is being paid. You lack the ability to lodge a cogent argument. LOOK at STATISTICS. I suggest you do that. Because his stats were just never very impressive.