PDA

View Full Version : Original-round tender to RFA CB Dane Jackson

Woodman
03-14-2023, 08:21 PM
Bills intend to assign original-round tender to RFA CB Dane Jackson, per sources - Buffalo Rumblings (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2023/3/14/23640641/bills-intend-to-assign-original-round-tender-to-rfa-cb-dane-jackson-per-sources-nfl-free-agency)

Jackson, who turned 26 last November, was drafted in the seventh round of the 2020 NFL Draft (https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-draft) by the Bills.

In his three-year NFL career, Jackson has proven to be a valuable and capable backup corner for head coach Sean McDermott and defensive coordinator/assistant head coach Leslie Frazier’s defense. For his career, Jackson has appeared in 37 games (22 starts), made 113 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 23 pass deflections, 3 interceptions, 1 forced fumble, and 1 fumble recovery,

With a productive 2022 resume to his name over 14 starts, it’s clear the Buffalo Bills value Dane Jackson’s skill set and his contributions as reserve defensive back. By applying the original-round tender to his restricted free-agent status, One Bills Drive can has retained a capable cornerback for the 2023 season.

Ed
03-14-2023, 08:49 PM
So a $2.7 mil cap hit for 2023. Feels a little steep for a backup CB at this point, but I know they really value him and I do think he's a great depth player.

At this point I would say the Bills are pretty set at CB even if they consider moving Benford to safety. I wouldn't be surprised if they basically ignore this position for the rest of free agency and draft.

Night Train
03-15-2023, 05:04 AM
He always sees snaps so I'm fine with that. Welcome back.

YardRat
03-15-2023, 05:11 AM
I didn't expect him to be tendered, but it's good to have him coming back for depth.

Might be a sign they are going to at least look at trying Benford at safety.

swiper
03-15-2023, 05:22 AM
CB depth important. Jackson reliable. Healthy. Knows the system. This makes sense.

notacon
03-15-2023, 01:01 PM
So a $2.7 mil cap hit for 2023. Feels a little steep for a backup CB at this point, but I know they really value him and I do think he's a great depth player.

At this point I would say the Bills are pretty set at CB even if they consider moving Benford to safety. I wouldn't be surprised if they basically ignore this position for the rest of free agency and draft.
I agree with almost all of your post, except....“Feels a little steep for a backup CB at this point”. Does it? I’m not so sure with the way salaries are spiraling along with the cap.

With 3 accrued seasons the NFL minimum is $1M. Plus he’s had a ton of starting experience filling in for Tre’ White.

Elam has still not proven he is a reliable starter opposite White. I expect that he will for 2023, but this seems like a pretty sound for a CB that knows the system and has performed at a relatively high level despite being a 7th round draft pick.

In any event, I think you are spot on that CB is probably going to be basically ignored for the arts of FA and the draft.

That’s a lot better position they were in as compared to a year ago.