PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Wagner returns to Seattle on a one-year, $7 million deal

Woodman
03-25-2023, 09:57 PM
Bobby Wagner returns to Seattle on a one-year, $7 million deal - ProFootballTalk (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/25/bobby-wagner-returns-to-seattle-on-a-one-year-7-million-deal/)

Woodman
03-25-2023, 09:59 PM
The Seahawks cut Wagner last year (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/08/seahawks-are-releasing-bobby-wagner/). He signed a contract with the Rams. It was due to pay him $11 million this year. The Rams released him, calling it a mutual decision, earlier this month.
The first word of Wagner’s deal came from teammate Quandre Diggs (https://twitter.com/qdiggs6/status/1639770081801510912?s=20), who beat the group-text Twitter thumb racers to the punch.
Wagner, who turns 33 in June, was a second-round pick of the Seahawks in 2012. He spent 10 years in Seattle.

kscdogbillsfan1221
03-26-2023, 01:53 AM
Damn

swiper
03-26-2023, 06:10 AM
Wow. We couldn't pull off that contract???

Come to us Jack Campbell.

YardRat
03-26-2023, 06:37 AM
That's OK. The defense can get a shot in the ass from a rookie full of piss and vinegar as much as a vet on the last leg of his career.

notacon
03-26-2023, 12:17 PM
I told you that the Bills did not want Bobby Wagner. It made little sense considering their cap situation and the more pressing needs for offensive skill players.

Sure looks like Wagner going to retire after this season.

Canadian'eh!
03-26-2023, 03:03 PM
I told you that the Bills did not want Bobby Wagner. It made little sense considering their cap situation and the more pressing needs for offensive skill players.

Scoring points was not the issue last year. The “skill position” needs are nothing compared to the ability to actually stop another team when needed, or being able to actually run the ball occasionally.

Beane and McD seem to have a thing for “finesse” players all over the field and seem to want to play like the greatest show on turf, outside, in Buffalo.

Wagner is a blood and guts LB with skill. This was the move they needed, and they missed out

DraftBoy
03-26-2023, 03:11 PM
Scoring points was not the issue last year. The “skill position” needs are nothing compared to the ability to actually stop another team when needed, or being able to actually run the ball occasionally.

Beane and McD seem to have a thing for “finesse” players all over the field and seem to want to play like the greatest show on turf, outside, in Buffalo.

Wagner is a blood and guts LB with skill. This was the move they needed, and they missed out

David and Wagner both going for 1 yr and $7M hurts a bit. Would have been a nice add to replace Edmunds.

Mace
03-26-2023, 03:23 PM
Beane suggested the answer might be in house (Dodson...Bernard...Spector)....I have this feeling it won't end well.

swiper
03-26-2023, 04:37 PM
Beane suggested the answer might be in house (Dodson...Bernard...Spector)....I have this feeling it won't end well.

I have always thought that Dodson was a better LB than many give him credit for.

Mace
03-26-2023, 06:07 PM
I have always thought that Dodson was a better LB than many give him credit for.

I don't disagree...I'm just not confident he's the starting mlb that improves the likely defense. I'd be dandy with him on a side if we used 3.

DraftBoy
03-27-2023, 07:07 AM

I still can’t believe they are going to let a Pro Bowl LB walk and replace him with a bunch of dudes we know aren’t near the same level. Dodson is probably an under the radar guy, I agree with Swiper there.

For as much as Edmunds had holes in his game, he still served an important role on this team that needs to be filled. Maybe they are going Campbell in Round 1.

kingJofNYC
03-27-2023, 08:38 AM
I've complained about this a lot the last couple of years with this regime, but they never have any young guys waiting to take over as the next man up. Few teams do this well, the Steelers used to be the best at this, especially at LB and recently WR.

We went into 22 draft with a big gigantic hole at CB, we take a CB. We go into 23 draft with gigantic holes at Safety and LB, luckily Poyer came back. To their credit they did take a LB in the 3rd round last year, it may or may not work out, but at least they took someone a year earlier when in prior years they just went into offseason with glaring hole at CB until they had no choice but to grab one in the first. I feel like this approach last season caused them to miss out on a good add at WR, because instead of going best player available they went with biggest need for sure. This year is for sure going to be DT/LB because they have no one, especially at DT, all vets and Oliver will walk.

Took too many DEs, and RBs, simple as that. 3 day 2 running backs, not how you want to spend your capital if you ask me.

Jeff1220
03-27-2023, 11:39 AM
Maybe Wagner didn't want to come to Buffalo, and not for $7million. He's been on the West coast his whole career. Maybe he just wanted to finish his career at the place he called home for 10 of the last 11 years.

swiper
03-27-2023, 01:01 PM
Maybe Wagner didn't want to come to Buffalo, and not for $7million. He's been on the West coast his whole career. Maybe he just wanted to finish his career at the place he called home for 10 of the last 11 years.

That thought occurred to me as well.

notacon
03-27-2023, 01:30 PM

Every loss from 2022 was because of the offense failing. Every. Single. Loss.

Last season the Bills DID stop another team when needed. The EPITOME of this was the Minny loss, where the Bills STOPPED MINNY COLD on FIVE consecutive plays INSDIE the Bills THREE YARD LINE.

TWICE the Bills STUFFED Minny on 3rd and 1 AND 4th and 1.

They had the game won with 41 seconds to go, Minny had only one time out left...two kneel downs win the game. We all know hat happened.

The Miami loss, Bills have a chance to go ahead with a TD (probably for the win)....Josh short hops the ball on 4th down to a wide open McKenzie. Bills had ANOHER chance to win the game (after the defense STUFFED Miami and forced them to punt)...the offense just could not get it done.

Jets loss, Gabe Davis drops a ball thrown RIGHT INTO HIS BREADBASKET.

I agree that "being able to actually run the ball occasionally” is important (at least from RB’s not called Josh Allen) which is why I have opined that IF the blue chip, top 5 overall RB, Bijan Robinson drops to the Bills at #27, they would be fools to not seriously contemplate picking him.

RB IS, in fact, an offense “skill position”.

Bobby Wagner would not have brought the Bills any closer a Super Bowl MORE than adding more offensive weapons.

THE story for the loss to Cincy in the playoffs was not the defensive lapse (although they should have done better) it was the TOTAL FAILURE of the offense to do ANYTHING.

Scoring only TEN MEASLY POINTS almost GUARANTEES A LOSS in ANY NFL game. The Bills defense had nothing to do with the Bills inept offense in that game.
The facts are clear (as I have posted (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262408-The-Fire-McDermott-Thread?p=5000842&viewfull=1#post5000842)before (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262408-The-Fire-McDermott-Thread?p=5000842&viewfull=1#post5000842))....

In the 2022 regular season, there were SEVENTY ONE teams that scored 10 points or less. Their W-L record in those games?.....

2-69.

Week #11….NE 10 – NYJ 3.
Week #13….BAL 10 – DEN 9.

Playoffs is even more stark. Since 2000 (including 2022 so far) there have been 45 teams that have scored 10 or less points (excluding Super Bowls). Their record??...

0-45.

The last time a team scored 10 or less points in a playoff game and won??

1997. PITT 7 – NE 6.

The Super Bowl is even MORE stark….in ALL 56 Super Bowls, one ream has scored 10 or less points SIXTEEN times. Their record????...If you are paying attention you guessed it…..

0-16.

Interestingly, the last team to score 10 or less points in a SB was not very long ago….2020 season, Tampa Bay 31 – Kansas City – 9.

Facts are facts. You only have to listen to them.

notacon
03-27-2023, 01:39 PM
I still can’t believe they are going to let a Pro Bowl LB walk and replace him with a bunch of dudes we know aren’t near the same level. Dodson is probably an under the radar guy, I agree with Swiper there.

For as much as Edmunds had holes in his game, he still served an important role on this team that needs to be filled. Maybe they are going Campbell in Round 1.
I sure hope not. That would be a wasteful reach. Jack Campbell certainly has potential, but he’s not worth a first round pick. 2nd round?...probably.

If any of the top WR’s are on the board at #27....Quentin Johnson, Addison, Smith-Njigba, Flowers, Downs, Hyatt, Tillman and the Bills pick Campbell...it would be a BIG mistake.

Forward_Lateral
03-27-2023, 03:39 PM
Notty, you need to cut back on the number of words you use. Nobody here reads past 2 lines.

The defense got absolutely abused vs the Bengals in the divisional round, the game that mattered the most.

The defense cost them the Chiefs divisional game 2 years ago.

The clear weakness of the team, overall, is the defense. The scheme, the players, the play calling, whatever you want to blame.

YardRat
03-27-2023, 03:46 PM

So if Buffalo doesn't sign a player, it's because they don't want him?

Asking for a friend...

Mace
03-27-2023, 04:09 PM

I certainly hope you are right....I've just become dubious about this program process and suspect you might not be.

Woodman
03-27-2023, 04:39 PM
Saying they'll compete doesn't mean we won't draft one ..... it says to me he's not sure and waiting for whoever to seize the day.

Woodman
03-27-2023, 04:41 PM
We probably had interest until the number came out.

notacon
03-28-2023, 01:01 PM
Notty, you need to cut back on the number of words you use. Nobody here reads past 2 lines.

The defense got absolutely abused vs the Bengals in the divisional round, the game that mattered the most.

The defense cost them the Chiefs divisional game 2 years ago.

The clear weakness of the team, overall, is the defense. The scheme, the players, the play calling, whatever you want to blame.
That’s the problem. I explain exactly why the OFFENSE was THE reason the Bills lost every game last season (I am not talking about 2021...that loss was on special teams decisions and bad defensive strategy) but some are just too lazy to read a few words and even try to comprehend the issue.

In FACT, in every one of the Bills three regular season losses, the OFFENSE HAD THE BALL with a chance to WIN the game, and failed.

There was NO LOSS that had the defense on the field, at the end of the game, where (as Canadian says (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262838-Bobby-Wagner-returns-to-Seattle-on-a-one-year-7-million-deal?p=5012814&viewfull=1#post5012814)) NOT having "the ability to actually stop another team when needed”

The defense did exactly that in BOTH the Miami AND Minnesota losses.

The Jets game, the Bills held the Jets to only 20 points (within 2.1 of their pts/g average allowed), but the offense could only muster 17 points....the LEAST amount of points the Bills scored in any regular season game, and FORTY PERCENT under their average of 28.4 points per game.

Against the Bengals, instead of playing the game like a shootout, the offense STUNK IT UP on the first two drives, and failing miserably in response to Cincy's two TD drives with TWO THEE AND OUTS.

A dismal terrible offensive showing.

Again, facts are facts. Especially in the playoff, if a team scores 10 or less points, it almost GUARANTEES a LOSS. The Bills offense is what held them back in 2022. NOT the defense.

notacon
03-28-2023, 01:09 PM
So if Buffalo doesn't sign a player, it's because they don't want him?

Asking for a friend...

Nice try with a lame, dumb “gotcha” question. :rolleyes:

No....when a team passes on an All-pro for only $7M in a position that they have a huge hole, THAT shows they don’t want him.

The Bills absolutely 100% wanted Tremaine Edmunds on the team...but his $18M per year price tag was just too much and would upend their realistic cap situation.

If they could have singed Edmunds for $7M they could would have done it SO fast it would make your Edmunds hating head spin.

swiper
03-28-2023, 01:13 PM
Nice try with a lame, dumb “gotcha” question. :rolleyes:

No....when a team passes on an All-pro for only $7M in a position that they have a huge hole, THAT shows they don’t want him.

The Bills absolutely 100% wanted Tremaine Edmunds on the team...but his $18M per year price tag was just too much and would upend their realistic cap situation.

If they could have singed Edmunds for $7M they could would have done it SO fast it would make your Edmunds hating head spin.

All complete bull ***** right there, once again. Crawl under a rock and don't come out. You don't know the first thing about what you're attempting to talk about. It makes you look so abjectly foolish every day.

Bill Cody
03-29-2023, 02:29 PM
wow I'm surprised we weren't interested at that number

Forward_Lateral
03-29-2023, 02:52 PM
Maybe Wagner wasn't.Maybe he took less to go back and retire a Seahawk.

swiper
03-29-2023, 06:56 PM

I think a lot of teams could say that.

Bill Cody
03-30-2023, 09:15 AM

Yeah

notacon
03-30-2023, 12:45 PM
I don’t think the Bills were interested in him at all. Even at $7M.

It would make little sense. The Bills need a long term, reasonably priced solution at LB. Not a short term band-aid that would screw up their expected 3rd round compensatory pick for losing Edmunds.

The draft is the place to do exactly that.

Forward_Lateral
03-30-2023, 01:23 PM
I don’t think the Bills were interested in him at all. Even at $7M.

It would make little sense. The Bills need a long term, reasonably priced solution at LB. Not a short term band-aid that would screw up their expected 3rd round compensatory pick for losing Edmunds.

The draft is the place to do exactly that.
7 million is cheap for a guy with his career accolades, who hasn't showed many signs of slowing down. I highly doubt the Bills "weren't interested".

notacon
03-30-2023, 02:18 PM
7 million is cheap for a guy with his career accolades, who hasn't showed many signs of slowing down. I highly doubt the Bills "weren't interested".

The evidence is overwhelming. I highly doubt that the Bills were interested in Wagner at $7M or pretty much anything above around $2M that they have stated they are not going to sign anyone until after the draft that threatens their expected 3rd round compensatory pick.

All you have to do is listen to what Beane says. He’s not known for obfuscation.

Forward_Lateral
03-31-2023, 09:32 AM
Where did Beane say he is trying to protect his comp pick?

notacon
03-31-2023, 12:37 PM
Where did Beane say he is trying to protect his comp pick?

What I was talking about was Beane saying over and over again not to expect any “splash” FA signings. Do I really have to show you when he said that? It’s common knowledge.

The idea that the Bills would possibly get a compensatory pick was tossed around for quite some time with the expectation of over a year that they would probably be unable afford to re-sign Edmunds. That was realized when the Bears made him the highest paid ILB in NFL history.

Again, this is common knowledge.

But, if you are asking about him directly addressing the strategy of FA signings with the compensatory pick in mind, he did so at the NFL owner’s meeting this past week at his press conference.

It was reported this past Monday…

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="" title="Twitter Tweet" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfdGltZWxpbmVfbGlzdCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOltdLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X2ZvbGxvd2VyX2NvdW50X3N1bnNldCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOnRydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9iYWNrZW5kIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19yZWZzcmNfc2Vzc2lvbiI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfbWl4ZWRfbWVkaWFfMTU4OTciOnsiYnVja2V0IjoidHJlYXRtZW50IiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19leHBlcmltZW50c19jb29raWVfZXhwaXJhdGlvbiI6eyJidWNrZXQiOjEyMDk2MDAsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfZHVwbGljYXRlX3Njcml iZXNfdG9fc2V0dGluZ3MiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijoib24iLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X3ZpZGVvX2hsc19keW5hbWljX21hbmlmZXN0c18xNTA4MiI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ0cnVlX2JpdHJhdGUiLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X2xlZ2FjeV90aW1lbGluZV9zdW5zZXQiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijp0cnVlLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X3R3ZWV0X2VkaXRfZnJvbnRlbmQiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijoib24iLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfX0%3D&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=1640431067906838528&lang=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com%2Ffanzone%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dpostreply%26t%3D262838&sessionId=bd4c873136f296898f2ce808a54cc9bf33095e6f&theme=light&widgetsVersion=aaf4084522e3a%3A1674595607486&width=550px" data-tweet-id="1640431067906838528" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 307px; display: block; flex-grow: 1;"></iframe>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There is little doubt that the Bills were planning their off season strategy with the distinct possibility that once Edmunds hit the open market, they would probably not be able to compete.

It’s fairly obvious that (with communications with agents that go on all the time) the week before FA opened, Edmunds was as good as gone.

And THAT is why they extended Milano two more years, with the team friendly $14M per year addition, and used that extension to reduce his 2023 cap hit.

They obviously also used the strategy to not negotiate with Poyer until he had the chance to gauge the market in FA.

Again, Beane is an extremely competent GM and already knew that the market for Poyer was not going to be close to what he was expecting, and all he had to do was be patient (using the strategy of not burning any bridges with Poyer all the time he (and his wife) were whining about a new contract even before the 2022 season started).

That patience paid off with the EXTREMLY team friendly 2-year extension Poyer agreed to.

The whole idea of screwing up this strategy by seriously considering ANY offer to Bobby Wagner does not make any sense. Especially considering it would be a one-year rental deal, and the full amount of the contract would be guaranteed and count to the cap for 2023.

$7M was probably the floor. It would have been opposite of the best interests of the Bills to seriously consider doing anything like that.

The smarter strategy was to lock up the leaders on the defense they already had (Milano & Poyer) with very favorable terms and reduced cap hit for 2023.

The “go get Bobby Wagner” meme we saw from some posters here was never in the realm of reality nor in the best interests of the team.

It was pretty easy to figure that out by just listening to what Beane has been saying for months, and watching what he does.<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.2b2d73daf636805223fb11d48f3e94f7.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.2b2d73daf636805223fb11d48f3e94f7.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" title="Twitter analytics iframe" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>

Forward_Lateral
03-31-2023, 01:43 PM
Dude.

I'm not reading that diatribe of gobbly goop

notacon
04-01-2023, 12:20 PM
Dude.

I'm not reading that diatribe of gobbly goop

Jesus. Why don’t you just not read it and not feel the need to announce to everyone that you are striving to be uninformed?

It’s not "gobbly goop”...it’s a rather short (much less an an average newspaper article) well reasoned, intelligent and informative post. Something that too many people here are afraid of in their effort to stay in their own little bubble of self-absorption and anti-intellectual lack of curiosity.

How did you get through high school??? Did you???

So sad.