PDA

View Full Version : Just Stop the Run

Day One
09-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Stop the run and we may really make a run.

LtBillsFan66
09-03-2003, 10:40 PM
Heading into this season, my only worries were safety and the pass rush. Well safety is set. I hope they can work in Wire and Milloy.

As far as the pass rush, I think the new zone blitz schemes will help tremendously.

I'm pumped to see this D in action.

lordofgun
09-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Milloy is a great run-stopper.

The_Philster
09-04-2003, 03:05 AM
All we have to do is have Adams fall in front of the O-Line to tie up a blocker or two...everyone else will fill in the gaps. :D

TypicalBill
09-04-2003, 05:43 AM
we have the personnel to be one of the top at stopping the run. Spikes and Fletcher should shine with 2 big guys upfront tying up blockers.. and Milloy is as good as it gets for a run stopping safety.. you wont see him out of place in running situations.. he has experience and went to the probowl 4 times, he WILL make a difference in that aspect of the game.

Pride
09-04-2003, 07:27 AM
If we arent #1 D in the league, I will be disapointed.

BillsOverDolphins
09-04-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Pride
you will be disappointed

Billsbabee
09-04-2003, 07:45 AM

The lowest I'll accept is #3, but I can't see why we can't run at #1

TypicalBill
09-04-2003, 07:48 AM
all i want is a top 10 D .. and a top 10 O .... that should put us in a good position to acheive our goal.

Pride
09-04-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by BillsOverDolphins
you will be disappointed

on paper, we are the best in the league. the only team that could outplay our d is the pats, and that is solely due to their mastermind head coach.

if GW shows why he was such a great Def Coord. at one time, and if our offense puts up decent numbers, we should be able to be #1.

LtBillsFan66
09-04-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by TypicalBill
all i want is a top 10 D .. and a top 10 O .... that should put us in a good position to acheive our goal.

I think that is all it would take nowadays.

helmetguy
09-04-2003, 10:35 AM

if GW shows why he was such a great Def Coord. at one time, and if our offense puts up decent numbers, we should be able to be #1.

He mighta been a "good" defensive coordinator in Houston/Tennessee, but noone should ever mistake him for "great." Aside from all the horses TD brought in on defense this year, the difference maker on defense will be the input from Dick LeBeau. That "Blitzburgh" sheme he put in down in Pussburgh confounded many of the best offensive minds in the game.

WG
09-04-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
All we have to do is have Adams fall in front of the O-Line to tie up a blocker or two...everyone else will fill in the gaps. :D

Falling is about all Adams can do, so if that's true, which I would contest it isn't, then we'd be all set.

Adams won't even be starting by season's end IMO. Look for Edwards to take over the role early in the season.

WG
09-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by TypicalBill

Over the last 10 games of last season, we performed to the level of the 7th overall scoring D. So that's extremely realistic.

Our takeaways should improve w/ the secondary and LBing corps we have.

One caveat is that we shouldn't put too much emphasis on our LBs stopping the run. We had to do that all during preseason and the tradeoff was that the short passing games of every team we played worked very well. That isn't good news when talking about the Pats.

While yes, we did register 4 sacks v. the Rams w/ our first unit, that same first unit allowed well over 100 yards passing in mostly short-medium OTM passes in an empty D backfield b/c the LBs were up front.

That's something that Gray and LeBeau are gonna have to figure out quickly and something that not having upgraded much, if at all, w/ Denney and Adams occupying our two most troubled spots defensively last season, may be our downfall on defense.

This first game v. the Pats will tell. If the Pats have no rushing and can move the ball and score w/ short dinks and dunks, then it could spell trouble. Fact is, that that's exactly what Brady and his WRs excel at much like the Rams!

justasportsfan
09-04-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Falling is about all Adams can do, so if that's true, which I would contest it isn't, then we'd be all set.

You shouldn't have a problem w/ people falling down especially since you were the President of the Rob Johnson Fall club. :D

Demon
09-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Day One
Stop the run and we may really make a run.

If we will have trouple stopping the run against Antowain Smith then we're in serious trouple. That's gonna be a sign that it will be a loooooong season.