24) Jacksonville Jaguars – CB Deonte Banks, Maryland
    25) New York Giants – WR Zay Flowers, Boston College
    26) Dallas Cowboys – DL Bryan Bresee, Clemson
    27) Buffalo Bills – TE Darnell Washington, UGA
    28) Cincinnati Bengals – TE Michael Mayer, Notre Dame
    29) New Orleans Saints – EDGE Will McDonald IV, Iowa State
    30) Philadelphia Eagles – WR Quentin Johnston, TCU
    31) Kansas City Chiefs – EDGE Keion White, Georgia Tech

This is not an easy draft to mock and the Bills pick did not go anywhere near where I wanted to. In the end I went with the potential of Washington over the proven quality of Mayer. It's a not a huge positional need, but Washington with his size and athleticism is a matchup nightmare and he can help blocking both inline and out of the slot in the run game. I was really hoping to actually mock Bresee to the Bills at 27, but he made too much sense for the Cowboys at 26.

As always I don't mock trades, but I do expect there to be a few tomorrow night. I expect Beane to be active on the phones and working to get into the the 15-20 if he sees WR Jaxon Smith-Nijba available. Honestly, it wouldn't shock me to see the Bills pull a deal with the Pats if the Pack pass on Smith-Njigba.

Alternative options at the Bills pick based on the mock:
    WR Jordan Addison, USC
    OG Steve Avila, TCU
    CB Brian Branch, Alabama
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: DB's First and Final 2023 Mock Draft

I just can't see the Bills going TE in round one after they just paid Knox big $. I think they think they are good at TE.

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
      I just can't see the Bills going TE in round one after they just paid Knox big $. I think they think they are good at TE.
      If Washington fell to the Bills I think they would select him.

One of the Bills biggest issues last season was consistently getting first downs and red zone. We had tons of big plays but our regular offense sputtered a lot and we had to settle for FG when in close way too often.

Three reasons for that IMO, run blocking, true possession receivers (loss of Beasley) and big red zone targets.

Washington will probably be one of the best blocking TE in the league once he’s drafted, he has natural hands and at 6’7 he’s definitely a matchup issue inside the 20.

We don’t need a splash player on offense, we need someone that can make our run game better and provide a 5 yard catch on 3rd and 4.

Both him and Knox can be split out also so we can play with 2 TE more.

Comment

• swiper
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2010

I would be upset if they went TE in the first. It's like wasting the pick. However I have seen other mock drafts that predicted this. And to further my concern is that Beane says there are very few players that they give a first round grade to (not a full round's worth), so if they sit at their spot there may only be a TE with a first round grade left.

Why they shouldn't draft like this? A) they have much bigger needs. I agree they are "good" at TE. B) Dorsey used the TE less than Daboll did. C) Our TE #2 from 2022 proved capable.

Comment

• swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Avila is not a first round quality player.

The WR position is not a glaring need demanding a first round pick.

And the Bills have CBs on the roster.

Needs are: MLB, IOL, DT, safety - all before WR. And maybe right tackle needs to be higher need than WR too.

Comment

• swiper
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2010

And reading rumors are hot and heavy this morning that the Panthers will actually take Levis.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by swiper View Post
              And reading rumors are hot and heavy this morning that the Panthers will actually take Levis.
              If I'm the Panthers I'm taking CJ Stroud over Young. Young is just too short.

I'd take Stroud, Richardson, and Lewis over Young.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

I’m selling on that. Levis has legit tools and could be a good QB but passing on Young or Stroud for him would be a huge risk.

Smells like smoke from Houston or Arizona who are looking to trade down.
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

I don’t disagree, but Beane is a value drafter. If Washington or Mayer on at the top of his board at our pick he won’t care about anything else.

He also value athleticism above almost all else which is why Washington or Mayer.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                    • Mar 2004

This stems from a rumour on Reddit that Levis is telling people that he is going #1, and the Panthers have already informed him.

Some guy on a Reddit definitely knows. Lol

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

I wouldn't e surprised if he takes Washington . Beane loves big athletic freaks.
                      Josh could use a Kelce on the team. Beane knows how much of a headache he's been for our D.
                      We have Knox but he's no Kelce. Our Redzone O nos. went down last year and we need another weapon there.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                        I’m selling on that. Levis has legit tools and could be a good QB but passing on Young or Stroud for him would be a huge risk.

Smells like smoke from Houston or Arizona who are looking to trade down.
                        It was apparently based on one Tweet, I believe, from Levis to family where he states that Carolina is taking him.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                        I wouldn't e surprised if he takes Washington . Beane loves big athletic freaks.
                        Josh could use a Kelce on the team. Beane knows how much of a headache he's been for our D.
                        We have Knox but he's no Kelce. Our Redzone O nos. went down last year and we need another weapon there.
                        Whaley was the athletics freak. When Beane came here he told us he wanted football players, not athletes.

Comment

• swiper
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
                          This stems from a rumour on Reddit that Levis is telling people that he is going #1, and the Panthers have already informed him.

Some guy on a Reddit definitely knows. Lol
                          It was on Reddit, but it originated from Levis himself.

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

• notacon
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                            1) Carolina Panthers – QB Bryce Young, Alabama
                            2) Houston Texans – QB CJ Stroud, Ohio State
                            3) Arizona Cardinals – DE Will Anderson, Alabama
                            4) Indianapolis Colts – QB Will Levis, Kentucky
                            5) Seattle Seahawks (from Denver) – EDGE Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech
                            6) Detroit Lions (from L.A. Rams) – DT Jalen Carter, Georgia
                            7) Las Vegas Raiders – QB Anthony Richardson, Florida
                            8) Atlanta Falcons – RB Bijan Robinson, Texas
                            9) Chicago Bears (from Carolina) – CB Devon Witherspoon, Illinois
                            10) Philadelphia Eagles (from New Orleans) – EDGE Nolan Smith, UGA
                            11) Tennessee Titans – OT Peter Skoronski, Northwestern
                            12) Houston Texans (from Cleveland) – DE Lukas Van Ness, Iowa
                            13) Green Bay Packers* (from N.Y. Jets) – WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State
                            14) New England Patriots – TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah
                            15) New York Jets* (from Green Bay) – OT Broderick Jones, UGA
                            16) Washington Commanders – CB Christian Gonzalez, Oregon
                            17) Pittsburgh Steelers – OT Paris Johnson, Ohio State
                            18) Detroit Lions – EDGE Myles Murphy, Clemson
                            19) Tampa Bay Buccaneers – OT Darnell Wright, Tennessee
                            20) Seattle Seahawks – CB Joey Porter Jr, Penn State
                            21) Los Angeles Chargers – DT Calijah Kancy
                            22) Baltimore Ravens – RB Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama
                            23) Minnesota Vikings – QB Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
                            24) Jacksonville Jaguars – CB Deonte Banks, Maryland
                            25) New York Giants – WR Zay Flowers, Boston College
                            26) Dallas Cowboys – DL Bryan Bresee, Clemson
                            27) Buffalo Bills – TE Darnell Washington, UGA
                            28) Cincinnati Bengals – TE Michael Mayer, Notre Dame
                            29) New Orleans Saints – EDGE Will McDonald IV, Iowa State
                            30) Philadelphia Eagles – WR Quentin Johnston, TCU
                            31) Kansas City Chiefs – EDGE Keion White, Georgia Tech

This is not an easy draft to mock and the Bills pick did not go anywhere near where I wanted to. In the end I went with the potential of Washington over the proven quality of Mayer. It's a not a huge positional need, but Washington with his size and athleticism is a matchup nightmare and he can help blocking both inline and out of the slot in the run game. I was really hoping to actually mock Bresee to the Bills at 27, but he made too much sense for the Cowboys at 26.

As always I don't mock trades, but I do expect there to be a few tomorrow night. I expect Beane to be active on the phones and working to get into the the 15-20 if he sees WR Jaxon Smith-Nijba available. Honestly, it wouldn't shock me to see the Bills pull a deal with the Pats if the Pack pass on Smith-Njigba.

Alternative options at the Bills pick based on the mock:
                            WR Jordan Addison, USC
                            OG Steve Avila, TCU
                            CB Brian Branch, Alabama
                            First of all I want to commend you for putting out your own mock draft. It is not easy and takes guts. I’m not even trying to attempt to do so because I admit I have not the slightest idea how a draft is going to play out for every 1st round pick. One trade, one unforeseen pick and the whole thing tumbles down.

With that said, all I care about is the Bills pick. And I strongly disagree with both the TE positions and Darnell Washington. I would be really, REALY pissed if the Bills did this. Especially with whom you mock as being on the board when #27 comes up.

To pass on two of the best of four WR’s, Jordan Addison and Quentin Johnston and select a TE, that the Bills already have a solid starter that is under contract for fairly big bucks (and signing that lucrative extension just LAST YEAR for four years) would be gross GM malpractice.

I mean, gross malpractice that should produce serious consideration to fire Beane.

One of the most valuable parts of any first round pick, is the cost controlled contract for (up to) five years. It makes zero sense to waste that on TE.

But, what makes this pick even more distasteful is who is on the board (as the way you mock it). WR is the most glaring need for the Bills. NOT TE!!!! With Davis in a contract year and WR getting more and more expensive, and the reality of the cap situation for the Bills with Allen, wasting this on a TE is mind numbingly bad.

An additional TE will bring the Bills NO closer to a Super Bowl, this year or any year in the near future.

Again, I admire the guts to put this out, but I hope, beyond any measure that you are WRONG for the Bills at #27.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                              First of all I want to commend you for putting out your own mock draft. It is not easy and takes guts. I’m not even trying to attempt to do so because I admit I have not the slightest idea how a draft is going to play out for every 1st round pick. One trade, one unforeseen pick and the whole thing tumbles down.

With that said, all I care about is the Bills pick. And I strongly disagree with both the TE positions and Darnell Washington. I would be really, REALY pissed if the Bills did this. Especially with whom you mock as being on the board when #27 comes up.

To pass on two of the best of four WR’s, Jordan Addison and Quentin Johnston and select a TE, that the Bills already have a solid starter that is under contract for fairly big bucks (and signing that lucrative extension just LAST YEAR for four years) would be gross GM malpractice.

I mean, gross malpractice that should produce serious consideration to fire Beane.

One of the most valuable parts of any first round pick, is the cost controlled contract for (up to) five years. It makes zero sense to waste that on TE.

But, what makes this pick even more distasteful is who is on the board (as the way you mock it). WR is the most glaring need for the Bills. NOT TE!!!! With Davis in a contract year and WR getting more and more expensive, and the reality of the cap situation for the Bills with Allen, wasting this on a TE is mind numbingly bad.

An additional TE will bring the Bills NO closer to a Super Bowl, this year or any year in the near future.

Again, I admire the guts to put this out, but I hope, beyond any measure that you are WRONG for the Bills at #27.
                              I considered Addison and mentioned him as an alternative option. As for Johnson, he wasn’t one of the Bills 30 pre-draft visits which is usually a good sign of where Beane is looking. I think they met with Johnson at the combine or maybe his pro day for what it’s worth.

To me the choice between Addison and Washington came down to athleticism. Addison is a good athlete with average measurable who is a technician. Washington is an athletic freak that is still quite raw. Beane has looked more towards the athletic upside and raw potential more than polished technical prospects which is why I went with Washington.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X