PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Jackson 5 year agreement with Ravens

Woodman
04-27-2023, 03:33 PM
mmmmm

Good news for Lamar!!

Lamar Jackson, Ravens agree to terms on five-year deal - ProFootballTalk (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/27/lamar-jackson-ravens-agree-to-terms-on-five-year-deal/)

Woodman
04-27-2023, 03:36 PM
Quarterback Lamar Jackson (https://www.nfl.com/players/lamar-jackson/) and the Ravens have agreed to terms on a five-year contract extension, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Thursday, per sources.

Rapoport initially reported that Jackson and the Ravens had made progress toward a new contract, but now, the former NFL MVP will remain in Baltimore.

Around the NFL will have more on Jackson's deal shortly.

Woodman
04-27-2023, 03:42 PM
At long last, the deal is done.
Lamar Jackson has reached a five-year agreement to stay with the Ravens, the team announced on Thursday.
“You know for the last few months there’s been a lot of he say, she say. A lot of nail biting, a lot of head scratching going on,” Jackson said in a video posted on the Ravens’ social media account. “But for the next five years, there’s a lot of Flock going on. Let’s go, baby. Let’s go. Let’s go, man. Can’t wait to get there. Can’t wait to be there. Can’t wait to light up M&T for the next five years. Let’s get it.”

Lamar Jackson, Ravens agree to terms on five-year deal - ProFootballTalk (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/27/lamar-jackson-ravens-agree-to-terms-on-five-year-deal/)

- - - Updated - - -

While the money has not been disclosed, PFT reported earlier on Thursday that the deal will have a “traditional (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/27/lamar-jackson-deal-would-have-a-traditional-quarterback-structure/)” quarterback structure. That means he is not expected to have a fully-guaranteed contract like Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/8073/deshaun-watson). Instead, his numbers will likely be more in line with the deal Jalen Hurts (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/58433/jalen-hurts) recently signed with the Eagles.
The agreement brings to an end a process that started years ago and keeps the quarterback with Baltimore for the foreseeable future. The club had used the non-exclusive franchise tag to guarantee it would have at least a chance of matching any offer sheet Jackson reached with another team. But Jackson did not receive much — if any — interest.
The Ravens drafted Jackson with the 32nd overall pick in the 2018 draft — trading back into the first round to do so. Jackson took over as the club’s starting quarterback midway through his rookie season and proceeded to become the league MVP in 2019. He led the league with 36 passing touchdowns that season while also rushing for 1,206 yards and seven TDs.

Woodman
04-27-2023, 04:21 PM
Lamar Jackson's deal is five years, $260 million - ProFootballTalk (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/27/lamar-jacksons-deal-is-five-years-260-million/)

WOW!!!

ParanoidAndroid
04-27-2023, 04:36 PM
Just a hunch, but...

Could this be a sign and trade?

The timing is suspect.

Canadian'eh!
04-27-2023, 05:13 PM
Tyjae Spears
Christian Young

Cali512
04-27-2023, 05:33 PM
mmmmm

Good news for Lamar!!

If you look at cams career after his mvp, and look at lamars, its eerily similar

mightysimi
04-27-2023, 05:49 PM
Just a hunch, but...

The timing is suspect.
Or Hurts set the market that he wanted to beat

Novacane
04-27-2023, 05:56 PM
About time.

Ed
04-27-2023, 07:05 PM
I'm glad this deal and the Hurts deal is more in line with other QB contracts, and that the stupidity of the Browns deal with Watson didn't set a new precedent that I think would be bad for the league.

Ed
04-27-2023, 07:07 PM
Just a hunch, but...

The timing is suspect.
I don't think that's really possible since the team that signs the deal is on the hook for all the initial bonus money. That can't be traded or transferred. If they were going to trade him they'd just have the new team work out the terms of the contract, and then it would be a matter of compensation between the two teams.

Mr. Pink
04-27-2023, 09:09 PM
Of course the Ravens weren't going to let him leave.

Goobylal
04-28-2023, 06:56 AM
Amazing what happens when you come down from your "it has to be fully guaranteed!" position.

Historian
04-28-2023, 08:22 AM
Amazing what happens when you come down from your "it has to be fully guaranteed!" position.

Is that the reason they have been dicking around since last season?

I mean, I'm no Lamar fan, but if you don't have a franchise qb in 2023, you're cooked.

And all the teams that have been starting journeymen over the last year or so addressed this issue last night.

Even the Jets, lol.

mightysimi
04-28-2023, 10:03 AM
I don't think that's really possible since the team that signs the deal is on the hook for all the initial bonus money. That can't be traded or transferred. If they were going to trade him they'd just have the new team work out the terms of the contract, and then it would be a matter of compensation between the two teams.
Just the signing bonus and the future year division of it which becomes dead money. All roster bonus' with a future date would be paid by the new team.

Goobylal
04-28-2023, 02:17 PM
Is that the reason they have been dicking around since last season?

I mean, I'm no Lamar fan, but if you don't have a franchise qb in 2023, you're cooked.

And all the teams that have been starting journeymen over the last year or so addressed this issue last night.

Even the Jets, lol.

I don't know what the Ravens have offered in the past. All I know is that Lamar was demanding a fully-guaranteed contract and they wouldn't give him one, and he ultimately got a contract that wasn't guaranteed.

And true about the franchise QB. But OTOH, you don't want to hand a bad contract out either. And the fact that Lamar's missed 1/3 of the season and the playoffs is a major concern.

OpIv37
04-28-2023, 02:27 PM
I don't know what the Ravens have offered in the past. All I know is that Lamar was demanding a fully-guaranteed contract and they wouldn't give him one, and he ultimately got a contract that wasn't guaranteed.

And true about the franchise QB. But OTOH, you don't want to hand a bad contract out either. And the fact that Lamar's missed 1/3 of the season and the playoffs is a major concern.

If you recall, the Ravens gave Flacco a big contract after they won the SB back in like 2012. They were never the same with him after that because they couldn't fit the other pieces he needed under the cap.

The fans here like Lamar and want to keep him, but they were really worried about repeating the Flacco mistake.

The last buffalo fan
04-28-2023, 02:37 PM
Good for him and his family, congrats on cashing all the effort and sacrifice. I think he is pretty good, but not great.

Goobylal
04-28-2023, 03:15 PM
If you recall, the Ravens gave Flacco a big contract after they won the SB back in like 2012. They were never the same with him after that because they couldn't fit the other pieces he needed under the cap.

The fans here like Lamar and want to keep him, but they were really worried about repeating the Flacco mistake.

That's the way it goes these days. You have to pay your franchise QB a ton or look for a new QB every 3-4 years.

Ed
04-28-2023, 11:59 PM
Just the signing bonus and the future year division of it which becomes dead money. All roster bonus' with a future date would be paid by the new team.
True, but signing bonuses for franchise QBs are still very large. It doesn't make any sense to take on tens of millions in dead cap for a player you plan to immediately trade. Signing players to huge contracts just to trade them doesn't exist in the NFL.