• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Roles for the Rookies

TE Dalton Kincaid---#2 tight end, #4 wide receiver. How much he sees the field depends on how quickly he can get up to speed, and how much Dorsey wants to use him.

OG O'Cyrus Torrence---if Bates/Boettger are healthy, and the McGovern money was well spent, Torrence isn't starting right out of the gate. I don't see him beating out two vets that have logged a lot of snaps in a McDermott training camp. He'll probably start eventually once guys begin getting dinged.

LB Dorian Williams---Milano is cemented at one spot...Klein and Dodson aren't going anywhere yet, one is going to start and the other be his back-up. Matakevitch is a special team keeper. Are they going to give up on Bernard or Spector after one season? Maybe he takes the #53 spot away from Taiwan Jones...He has to make the final roster, but he'll probably see some teams snaps at most.

Shorter, Broeker, Austin will be practice squad guys or cuts.

What do you think?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • GreedoII
    • Aug 2007

Re: Roles for the Rookies

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
    TE Dalton Kincaid---#2 tight end, #4 wide receiver. How much he sees the field depends on how quickly he can get up to speed, and how much Dorsey wants to use him.

OG O'Cyrus Torrence---if Bates/Boettger are healthy, and the McGovern money was well spent, Torrence isn't starting right out of the gate. I don't see him beating out two vets that have logged a lot of snaps in a McDermott training camp. He'll probably start eventually once guys begin getting dinged.

LB Dorian Williams---Milano is cemented at one spot...Klein and Dodson aren't going anywhere yet, one is going to start and the other be his back-up. Matakevitch is a special team keeper. Are they going to give up on Bernard or Spector after one season? Maybe he takes the #53 spot away from Taiwan Jones...He has to make the final roster, but he'll probably see some teams snaps at most.

What do you think?

1. I agree. I assume Dorsey was aware of the interest so his ass better use him.
    2. He starts day 1. Boetts gets cut
    3. Williams is special teams and 3rd downs for his coverage ability and speed.
    4. Agree

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

Kincaid will play a lot. I can't see them taking him in the first and not using him much. How they play him is what I'm curious about because Diggs is obviously #1 and Knox is highly-paid. Do they put him out wide?

I think Torrence starts at RG, where he dominated in college (zero sacks given up) and McGovern starts at LG, where he played the past 2 years for the 'Boys. Bates is the IOL backup and heir to Morse (maybe sooner than later).

I can see Williams starting. He's the 2nd most talented LB on the roster now.

Shorter I think has a role on the team. Austin as well. Broeker could very well make it over Boettger and Edwards.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

What do you think?
        I think you nailed it. I don’t expect any of the rookies to contribute in a huge way unless there is an injury or incompetence.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• John Doe
          Florida Man
          • Jul 2002

Torrance has a better than 50% chance to start right away. They loved Bates as the super-backup to all 5 positions before and they will love to have him in that role again.

I think that they bring in a vet MLB and Klein or Dotson goes to the practice squad. No team wanted Klein last year and no team will want him this year.

Shorter will make the team at WR 6 - he really does not have much competition, he is a draft pick, and he fits the culture perfectly.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

I'll let camp sort it out.

Kincaid seems destined for the slot position over small WR's. Beane said as much. Torrance may take a while and maybe not. The rest need to be pointed towards a specific role which has yet to be determined.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
              Kincaid will play a lot. I can't see them taking him in the first and not using him much. How they play him is what I'm curious about because Diggs is obviously #1 and Knox is highly-paid. Do they put him out wide?

I think Torrence starts at RG, where he dominated in college (zero sacks given up) and McGovern starts at LG, where he played the past 2 years for the 'Boys. Bates is the IOL backup and heir to Morse (maybe sooner than later).

I can see Williams starting. He's the 2nd most talented LB on the roster now.

Shorter I think has a role on the team. Austin as well. Broeker could very well make it over Boettger and Edwards.
              Agree and hope this is what we get ..... with one small adjustment .... Broeker over Edwards for sure but I'd still like to keep Ike Boettger unless he just can't get back to form due to his injury.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• cookie G
                • Mar 2003

Kincaid gets at least 50% of the snaps on the O, and contributes substantially. I expect his contributions to take off in the 2nd half of the season

Unless he's really not ready, Cybo becomes a Day 1 starter.

If they are creative in their defensive scheme, like Kincaid, Williams is on the field for at least half of the defensive snaps.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                  Kincaid gets at least 50% of the snaps on the O, and contributes substantially. I expect his contributions to take off in the 2nd half of the season

Unless he's really not ready, Cybo becomes a Day 1 starter.

If they are creative in their defensive scheme, like Kincaid, Williams is on the field for at least half of the defensive snaps.
                  Half for Williams seems like huge expectations for an undersized rookie LB. It’s not like they spent a 1st round pick on the guy and need to force him onto the field. I would mildly surprised if he sees more than 1/3 of the defensive snaps barring injuries.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                    Agree and hope this is what we get ..... with one small adjustment .... Broeker over Edwards for sure but I'd still like to keep Ike Boettger unless he just can't get back to form due to his injury.
                    They could probably stash Boettger on the PS.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

They could probably stash Boettger on the PS.
                      I mean I guess, but I’d rather use their PS for actual development, not just stashing guys who aren’t good enough just in case.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                        Half for Williams seems like huge expectations for an undersized rookie LB. It’s not like they spent a 1st round pick on the guy and need to force him onto the field. I would mildly surprised if he sees more than 1/3 of the defensive snaps barring injuries.
                        He's bigger (and much faster) than Milano was when he came out and Milano started 3/4 of the way into the season.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

He's bigger (and much faster) than Milano was when he came out and Milano started 3/4 of the way into the season.
                          We were a ****ty team back then. We shouldn’t want our rookies playing too terribly much unless they are going to be franchise changers.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                            We were a ****ty team back then. We shouldn’t want our rookies playing too terribly much unless they are going to be franchise changers.
                            That was the 2017 when they made the playoffs. But I'd like to see rookies making an impact.

Comment

• Mace
                              Haha...yeah you think so ?
                              • Mar 2013

What do you think?
                              I think that about covers it.

Comment

Working...
                              X