PDA

View Full Version : Post-Draft Roster Question #1: RT

Oaf
05-01-2023, 02:27 PM
"Spencer Brown gave up the eighth-most pressures among all tackles and had the sixth-worst efficiency rate among 59 tackles to play at least 50% of their team’s pass-blocking snaps. The Bills took Top 30 visits from several potential replacements, but when the draft ended, the Bills walked out without a single tackle." -Cover 1

What do we do if Spencer Brown sucks again?

POTLAND PSILBYLO
05-01-2023, 03:34 PM
Wasn't he dealing with back surgery? Maybe not healed up as much as he could have been. If dey not worry, I not worry.

Woodman
05-01-2023, 03:37 PM
Let's see what he does at 100%.

YardRat
05-01-2023, 03:40 PM
We're going to keep Dalton Kincaid in to help him pass block.

Mace
05-01-2023, 03:42 PM
Brown strikes me as less than robust physically...suspect it won't change....so what we do is wait to see what scrub vet fa they sign next year before hoping in vain they draft one again.

Woodman
05-01-2023, 03:56 PM

Torrence parked right next to him will help.

notacon
05-02-2023, 01:36 PM
"Spencer Brown gave up the eighth-most pressures among all tackles and had the sixth-worst efficiency rate among 59 tackles to play at least 50% of their team’s pass-blocking snaps. The Bills took Top 30 visits from several potential replacements, but when the draft ended, the Bills walked out without a single tackle." -Cover 1

I never heard of “Cover 1”, and they did not give a very good first impression with this obviously incorrect statement...

“The Bills took Top 30 visits from several potential replacements”

In fact, the Bills had only one OT in for a “Top 30” visit, Darnell Wright. Who I suspect they had no realistic thought of drafting him. That obviously came true when he went #10 overall to Chicago.

Additionally, looking at ALL the interviews (that I could find) the Bills had.....there were only two with OT’s. The aforementioned Wight and Anton Harrison, OK.

If they can't get easily verified facts correct, it does bode well for their credibility.

A total of four OT’s went in the first 14 picks. Jax took Anton Harrison (whom the Bills did interview) at #27, which by most accounts was a reach. Scouts Inc rank him #58 overall, and Dane Brugler ranked him #50 overall and a 2nd round prospect. He was not expected to be a 1st round pick, and the Bills wisely ignored that position and filled a pretty big need with the value pick of Kincaid.

When their 2nd round pick came up, drafting Torrence was a freakin NO BRAINER, and a HUGE value.

So, the whole premise from this site as what is meant a criticism...”when the draft ended, the Bills walked out without a single tackle” is rather silly.

Which that said, Spencer Brown struggled last season, much of it due to off season back surgery, which caused him to miss all spring and most of training camp.

There is still a chance they will bring in some competition, but I suspect they will work with him to improve as they have consistently expressed confidence that he will do exactly that.

The Bills have strongly addressed the O-line with several much welcomed moves. Signing Connor McGovern and drafting easily the best IOL in Torrence are not insignificant.

All in all, I’m not worried in the least. Best to wait to see how he progresses instead of panicking.

justasportsfan
05-02-2023, 01:40 PM

I thought thats why we brought in Doente Harty

TigerJ
05-02-2023, 02:45 PM
I think Brown was healthy last season, but his recovery from back surgery prevented him from getting important training during the off season, specifically strength training and drill work. It is not unreasonable to hope for improvement after a full off season of such training.

cookie G
05-02-2023, 10:16 PM
Brown strikes me as less than robust physically...suspect it won't change....so what we do is wait to see what scrub vet fa they sign next year before hoping in vain they draft one again.

A back injury always makes me nervous in a football player, especially one that plays in the trenches. And I agree, He didn't look quite right last year, physically. He looked stiff...which is of course, how you look with a bad back. Your flexibility is limited..everywhere. Which is why I have my concerns. Maybe he can look into the Diamond Dallas Page yoga videos.

If he's "healed"...great. I'd be thrilled. He's going into his 3rd season...and the learning curve should be slowing down by now. He wasn't expected to be a finished product when he was drafted. He was basically thrown into the starting line up.

But a bad bac kfor an Ol...yeah...yeah.

Tommy Doyle, the forgotten man. He very well may be back by opening day, depending on how the rehab is going. Like Brown, never expected to be a finished product when drafted, but also physically there to be very good. Again like Brown, Its year three.

Its a good time for either of them to come into their own. I don't want to say "step up" because I doubt either is a slacker. Its hope and hope and I don't like to rely on a hope.

As to the draft...well that's the way it fell. As many could have expected...who aren't Bills fans..the top OT's came off the board early.

At 27, basically Anton Harrison and Bergeron were left. It was a big step down from there.

Harrison needs work on his run blocking, but has shown himself to be an excellent pass blocker. I saw good and bad out of Bergeron, but he might have the added bonus of moving to guard, if either Spencer Brown or Doyle end up fitting in. I've heard a few think Bergeron could be a great guard.

They ended up going in a different direction with Kincaid. Torrance...I have a feeling he just fell into their laps, But with all of the OTs and many of the best interior OL coming off the board...Allen might have killed them both if they didn't take him. Im not complaining. I was afraid they would end up with a guy like Broeker (who they ended up taking anyway) or a Nick Saldiveri...and people thinking they'd step in immediately.

Anyhoo...here's to Doyle or Brown making it at RT.

I'd be really happy if either did.

Ed
05-02-2023, 10:21 PM
Remember when fans wanted to give up on Knox after two seasons and trade for Zach Ertz? I think Brown is going to have a similar breakout in year 3, where he's not dealing with back surgery and rehab all offseason.

Woodman
05-03-2023, 05:21 PM
I thought thats why we brought in Doente Harty

He's the guy from the Saints right?

He runs a 4.39/40.

DraftCzar
05-05-2023, 04:13 PM

We have no backup plan. Beane and McDermott think Spencer will be a lot better this year. They are hoping their single engine plane doesn't lose it's one motor.

If O'Cyrus Torrence clearly beats out Bates for RG, that could help Spencer to have a wall next to him on pass plays.

We are going to need some luck.

Oaf
05-05-2023, 07:41 PM
We have no backup plan. Beane and McDermott think Spencer will be a lot better this year. They are hoping their single engine plane doesn't lose it's one motor.

If O'Cyrus Torrence clearly beats out Bates for RG, that could help Spencer to have a wall next to him on pass plays.

We are going to need some luck.

Agreed.

swiper
05-05-2023, 09:03 PM
The best RT on the roster is starting at LT.

daryls61
05-06-2023, 10:56 AM
I think Rick Bates can play RT is needed although I am not sure he is an improvement.

Woodman
05-08-2023, 03:12 PM
I think Rick Bates can play RT is needed although I am not sure he is an improvement.

Ryan can do that but he's a better OG/C.

Goobylal
05-08-2023, 05:56 PM
Dawand Jones was an option at RT with their 3rd round pick, but I heard he turned-off a lot of people and ballooned up to 400#. I guy I'd like to see them bring in for a look-see is DJ Fluker. He'd be cheap.

TigerJ
05-08-2023, 10:56 PM
Tommy Doyle lost what would have been his second season. I think he's been fully healthy and presumably is working hard on conditioning, strength training and blocking technique. There are no guarantees, but there is at least a possibility that Doyle could be much improved from his rookie season. He could actually be a solid backup.

Woodman
05-11-2023, 05:30 PM
Remember when fans wanted to give up on Knox after two seasons and trade for Zach Ertz? I think Brown is going to have a similar breakout in year 3, where he's not dealing with back surgery and rehab all offseason.
:gobills:

We have some competition for him this year ..... it'll play itself out soon enough.

mightysimi
05-12-2023, 11:08 AM
A guard isn't going to help Brown when he gets torched on the outside. Which is lots. Hopefully his health allows him to train and his perfect RAS comes into play and he can be real good.

EDS
05-13-2023, 09:01 PM
Good that the team trusts Brown because he is the only option. An injury to him or Dawkins would potentially be devastating.