PDA

View Full Version : Sam Adams says...

Billsbabee
09-04-2003, 09:05 AM
"I'll retire before I let that happen," Adams said. "That happened to me in Oakland. I wasn't happy. That's one of the reasons I didn't go back. I'll retire before I let that happen to me. If they want to sit me down they might as well let me go home. I'm not here to do that. I'm here to play. This is my 10th year now. And I'm going to be better this year than I was last year."

"You got to find something new," Adams said. "The guys that are students first and try to further themselves, those are the guys that stay around a long time. Bruce Smith just doesn't go out there and play. He goes in that weight room. He goes and watches that film. He goes and gets himself ready to play. And those are the things that it takes. And young guys, the thing I think that they don't do the most is study. They need to learn how to study and be students."

"I know how to win a championship," he said. "I know what it takes. I've been there twice, fell short the second time. Does it mean we weren't the best team? That day we weren't. But still, I know what it takes to win. I know what it takes to get there. And I know how to prepare myself. That you can't tell me."

"When I stop listening to what someone has to say - "Well, Sam, this is something new that we've had some success with' - I'm an idiot for not trying it. I may know how to lose weight, or I may know how to gain weight, or I may know how to do the bench press this way, but somebody, somewhere has been coaching that all the time. He's got something to say to me? I'm going to listen and I'm going to try it. Because I want to be the best."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030904/1046842.asp

Pride
09-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Hmmm interesting. I think this may get overlooked with all of the Milloy news, but this is important.

justasportsfan
09-04-2003, 10:15 AM
It's time to prove it or quit next year Sam.

Jan Reimers
09-04-2003, 10:42 AM
We haven't seen Sam in even one series of a real game yet. Why don't we give him a chance before throwing him on the s$it pile?

Billsbabee
09-04-2003, 10:44 AM
I know Wys has had questions about Mr Adams and was thinking of him as I read this and maybe he'd want to comment on it. :D
Anyone is welcome to as well ;)

There has been talk that maybe Sam was playing possum during PS so I was trying to be optimistic about his comments and think maybe it was such. I'd love to see him come out and play like hell Sunday and blow us all away.

Thanks Pride :)

Demon
09-04-2003, 10:45 AM
I personally think we'll be fine and our defense will be awsome, but i don't think Sam Adams will play well. He's never played well until week 6, seeing the way he looks i will say it won't be til week 6 til we see Adams at his best either.

WG
09-04-2003, 10:54 AM
I suppose that's a possibility BB, that Adams was "playing possum."

But he wasn't much better last year during the regular season, and perhaps there was a reason why he "got sat." Eh?

In either case, Adams shouldn't be talking, he should be putting up!

He can do one of two things this Sunday; he can prove that his lipservice matches his performance or he can show exactly why he got sat and set the table for his getting cut this offseason as he watched Edwards take over his starting role!

The fire's under his ass, not mine! I just report it the way I see it. I can tell you this, that the only real supporters of Adams appear to be on this site. I haven't heard a regional radio broadcast yet or read a column by a prominent regional sportswriter specifically covering the Bills who thought that Adams was anything but subpar, and that's being gracious according to some, this preseason.

Adams shouldn't need 3 or 4 games to warm up. If he's what he says and thinks he is in his own mind, then we'll know Sunday. Training camp is over, and he's an adult man who's "been around the block" in the NFL, so there will be absolutely no excuses for his slobdom, lack of performance, and inability to match his words to his performance this upcoming Sunday.

I'll give him one game!!! I'm sure the coaches will give him more. If he hasn't demonstrated quite a bit more than he did in the preseason, then he's made his own bed and we won't be seeing him on this team next season. Which would bring us full circle to a deja vu situation w/ the same two top needs next offseason that we had this year and no one but Edwards in the wings.

I'm hopeful that Edwards will continue to develop into an above average DT however after what I saw outta him this preseason.

I will wager my second born on this however, that Adams won't be able to play all or even most defensive downs due to fatigue on Sunday. That alone should raise serious issues!

Prediction: Just watch Adams in the second half! You'll see a washed up, overweight, slothful DT and will be agreeing with me on.

Talk is cheap Sam! Time to bring your A-game, whatever that is for you, to the table on Sunday.

According to the way Sam played in the preseason, there are DTs like that availabe right now on the waiver wire!

WG
09-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Demon
I personally think we'll be fine and our defense will be awsome, but i don't think Sam Adams will play well. He's never played well until week 6, seeing the way he looks i will say it won't be til week 6 til we see Adams at his best either.

We can't afford to wait until week 6 to "see him play well."

He needs to play well NOW, this Pats game! If he can't, then he's near useless. We face the Jags next week who have one of the better rushers in the league and then Philly and Miami. Nuff said!

Week 6 my ass!

He can put up this week, possibly as late as next, or I have no problem simply letting him go to clear roster space!

As well, if he only shows up for a Q, then he's worthless! We don't need a DT who only shows up starting in week 6, plays 1 Q a game well, and fades out prior to halftime!

Let's watch the game. Tape it. Then we'll discuss.

As well, keep in mind, the Pats didn't beat us w/ their rushing game last year. They beat us by capitalizing off of Drew's errors! Plain and simple. Their rushing game yielded less than 80 yards and less than 4.0 YPC from their RBs and less than 100 overall yards in game two last year.

So I'm not expecting them to do better than that which we allowed apart from Adams being here. So let's not all start chanting the mantra that we held N.E. to under 100 rushing yards "only b/c of Adams" should that happen.

Smith blows and is getting older. The Pat rushing game is not good nor anywhere near the league's top half. More likely among the bottom 6 or 8 easily. So "stopping the run" shouldn't be all that difficult v. the Pats.

WG
09-04-2003, 11:05 AM
The bottom line is who cares what "Sam Adams says..."!

He alone has the ability to change fan and media opinion of him this coming Sunday.

My guess is that he won't. But sure, I hope he does! I simply see too big a gap between his capability during the preseason having nothing to do with anything other than him being overweight and out of shape with little strength, and the big words comin' outta his mouth per the quotes above.

Billsbabee
09-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
I suppose that's a possibility BB, that Adams was "playing possum."

But he wasn't much better last year during the regular season, and perhaps there was a reason why he "got sat." Eh?

In either case, Adams shouldn't be talking, he should be putting up!

He can do one of two things this Sunday; he can prove that his lipservice matches his performance or he can show exactly why he got sat and set the table for his getting cut this offseason as he watched Edwards take over his starting role!

The fire's under his ass, not mine!

I agree, he's the one that has to prove himself and yes, lipservice is cheap if he can't back it up. However, I can't help but be dillusional...err, I mean hopeful, that he was doing just a little of the possum thing cuz I want a friggin win and part of getting it means we need him to back those words up with consistent, effective play on Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

Demon
09-04-2003, 11:12 AM

We can't afford to wait until week 6 to "see him play well."

He needs to play well NOW, this Pats game! If he can't, then he's near useless. We face the Jags next week who have one of the better rushers in the league and then Philly and Miami. Nuff said!

Week 6 my ass!

He can put up this week, possibly as late as next, or I have no problem simply letting him go to clear roster space!

I never said it's a good thing or thats what i want him to do, but ask Baltimore or Oakland fans, they will tell you Adams starts to train his fullest week one of the season, and thus, being 100% skill level around week 6. But like you said, we'll just have to wait and see.

casdhf
09-04-2003, 11:25 AM
The bottom line is who cares what "Wys Guy says..."!.

Your guess is as good as mine :idunno:

WG
09-04-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Billsbabee
I agree, he's the one that has to prove himself and yes, lipservice is cheap if he can't back it up. However, I can't help but be dillusional...err, I mean hopeful, that he was doing just a little of the possum thing cuz I want a friggin win and part of getting it means we need him to back those words up with consistent, effective play on Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

IDK BB. He got knocked straight back on his ass TWICE by two OL-men who aren't even "name OL-men."

Both of them were giving up a whole bunch of weight to Adams. I wouldn't allow that off-the-field, let alone on it, I wouldn't care if it's preseason or an offseason scrimmage for fun. Any player, man, who would allow that regardless of the circumstances must be so incredibly lazy which brings up an entirely different scenario.

We'll see. That's gonna be the nice thing about this upcoming season. Excuses were floated in schools last season, but those are all categorically going to vaporize this year. Our strengths will shine while our weaknesses will bubble to the surface for all to see w/o issue.

Drew won't be able to erroneously blame the D.

D won't get pinned for STs play, or lack thereof.

Henry won't get blamed for Drew's TOs.

Gilbride isn't gonna have any excuses for this O not being at least a top 10 O.

Etc.

Everything, all the strengths and weaknesses of this team, will be fully apparent empirically shortly.

WG
09-04-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Demon
I never said it's a good thing or thats what i want him to do, but ask Baltimore or Oakland fans, they will tell you Adams starts to train his fullest week one of the season, and thus, being 100% skill level around week 6. But like you said, we'll just have to wait and see.

What I am saying is that if that's what we got, then he needs to be cut. We could be 2-4 by then b/c we can't stop the run.

Taylor
Williams
Staley
Dillon
and Martin/Jordan

Some top rushers there.

As well, how long are we gonna hold on "testing" Sam if he isn't putting up hoping that he'll come around at some point.

Showing up in week 6 demonstrates an absolute laziness in efforts to condition during the offseason as well as a horrendous sense of professionalism. If all of his defensive, or heck, even offensive teammates did the same thing, where would we be!

Something like that is unacceptible. If it's a recurring thing, then even more so!

Nothin' on you, but for sure on Sam!

NoCtUrNaL
09-04-2003, 11:37 AM
I thought the role of Adams was to engage at least two offensive linemen and create a wall of humanity thereby plugging up one or two running lanes in the middle of the line.

Unless we see him getting pushed backed into the secondary or knocked on his ass, he's basically doing his job.

Tatonka
09-04-2003, 11:43 AM
wys.. dont you get tired of spouting the same retoric?...

if i have to read
He got knocked straight back on his ass TWICE by two OL-men who aren't even "name OL-men."

one more time.. i am gonna :puke:

just stop for god sakes..

your harping on that is about as bad as all the harping you do on drews TOs..

you just type the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

it is getting soooooooooooooo repetitive.

Tatonka
09-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by NoCtUrNaL
I thought the role of Adams was to engage at least two offensive linemen and create a wall of humanity thereby plugging up one or two running lanes in the middle of the line.

Unless we see him getting pushed backed into the secondary or knocked on his ass, he's basically doing his job.

wys will never get that. it is way to simple a concept.