PDA

View Full Version : Bills signing DT Poona Ford to one-year deal

justasportsfan
05-02-2023, 01:23 PM
Nice

At 310 pounds, Ford boasts nimble feet on the interior, able to penetrate and hold a gap.

Ford is coming off a down season overall in Seattle, but netted a career-high three sacks in 2022. The Bills are counting on the penetrator bouncing back in 2023.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-signing-dt-poona-ford-on-one-year-deal#:~:text=The%20Buffalo%20Bills%20added%20another,join%20the%20Bills%2C%20per%20Pelissero.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-02-2023, 01:23 PM
oxellent

justasportsfan
05-02-2023, 01:32 PM
People coming to buffalo for less $$$ . Who would've thought?

Joining the team on a one-year deal, he'll reportedly took less money with the Bills in order to give himself the best shot at winning a Super Bowl, NFL's Tom Pelissero said.

Ford turned down more money elsewhere to try to win a ring in Buffalo," he wrote. "A big (literally) post-draft addition for Sean McDermott’s defense."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-sign-poona-ford-contract-free-agency-rumors-seattle-seahawks

Cali512
05-02-2023, 02:02 PM
https://youtu.be/YDiZk40sujQ

Gives me young Jordan Phillips vibes

John Doe
05-02-2023, 02:12 PM
Tim Settle is immediately on the "bubble."

justasportsfan
05-02-2023, 02:20 PM
Tim Settle is immediately on the "bubble."

Oliver or DaQuan Jones ?

Night Train
05-02-2023, 02:26 PM
Splendid ! I have always liked him.

Let camp sort out the roster.

sukie
05-02-2023, 02:30 PM
Fat Guy!!!!!!

notacon
05-02-2023, 02:53 PM
Beane did exactly what he said he was going to do in his post draft presser.

The opportunity to draft DL did not pan out so he said he would be going to FA this week to sign one.

Poona (who in the world names their kid “Poona”?!?!? :D:) was one the best FA’s left.

The team is jelling and by all indications it’s a better team than last season.

justasportsfan
05-02-2023, 02:58 PM
If he and Oliver can penetrate , we'll be awesome. McD has been preaching an aggressive/ attacking D ,no more bend dont break Frazier D.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YDiZk40sujQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Lecter
05-02-2023, 02:59 PM
Oliver or DaQuan Jones ?

Oliver's money is locked in - he is going nowhere

Ford will split time with Jones.

The last tackle spot on the roster will come down to Phillips and Settle - assuming Phillips is a full go after his surgery

justasportsfan
05-02-2023, 03:55 PM
Nice move Beaner

And the Bills made it a point to wait on this agreement until after the qualifying free agent deadline for the 2024 compensatory formula to avoid jeopardizing a potentially high pick for losing Tremaine Edmunds this offseason.

https://theathletic.com/4482033/2023/05/02/poona-ford-buffalo-bills/

John Doe
05-02-2023, 03:58 PM

The last tackle spot on the roster will come down to Phillips and Settle - assuming Phillips is a full go after his surgery
Exactly. The last spot will come down to Phillips' health. Settle was one of the worst DTs in the league last year.

ParanoidAndroid
05-02-2023, 04:14 PM
This is fantastic. Beanie is the man!

Typ0
05-02-2023, 04:32 PM

That is kinda like saying we won the offseason.

Typ0
05-02-2023, 04:33 PM
Can we yell P O O O O O O O T A N G

ParanoidAndroid
05-02-2023, 04:36 PM
Myles Jack and Deion Jones are still available... :idunno:

YardRat
05-02-2023, 04:41 PM
Nice, I like this signing a lot.

Bryant had a legit shot at sticking before today. Still might.

Ed
05-02-2023, 04:47 PM

The Bills kept 5 DTs in 2021, so it's possible they all make it.

Woodman
05-02-2023, 04:49 PM
Poona Poona Poona Poona I can hear it now!

Big big get ......... nice going Beane.

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONA!

It's gonna be a thing just wait. :gobills:

Woodman
05-02-2023, 05:03 PM
The Bills kept 5 DTs in 2021, so it's possible they all make it.
Very likely! It keeps the rotation fresh and it gives you some insurance and after last year we need just that .... I wish it coulda been for 2 years though ..... maybe if Oliver gets porky after this season we can work something out with Poona longer term.

Really really like this signing!

YardRat
05-02-2023, 07:55 PM
Poona makes 88. 2 camp spots open.

YardRat
05-02-2023, 08:00 PM
Beane did exactly what he said he was going to do in his post draft presser.

The opportunity to draft DL did not pan out so he said he would be going to FA this week to sign one.

Poona (who in the world names their kid “Poona”?!?!? :D:) was one the best FA’s left.

His name is Kaylon Ford Jr.

Saratoga Slim
05-02-2023, 09:30 PM
Poona means that if Daquan gets injured we aren’t immediately screwed against the run (see Cincy divisional disaster).

There’s nothing here not to like.

Saratoga Slim
05-02-2023, 09:31 PM
Poona makes 88. 2 camp spots open.

Deandre Hopkins and Myles Jack?

Kenny
05-02-2023, 09:44 PM
I like this signing. I dont really care too much about the secondary or the lb spots too much so long as they dont suck too much. When you have all that money tied up at the QB spot, there's no way you can maintain a dominant D. Just focus on solidifying the DL and we'll be fine.

Buffalogic
05-02-2023, 11:16 PM
Really like this and the Harris signings. Beane doing a good job with limited resources.

Gibby 2.0
05-02-2023, 11:39 PM

Trade bait maybe?

jamze132
05-03-2023, 04:42 AM
Run stopper. Outstanding!

Forward_Lateral
05-03-2023, 06:29 AM
Beane has been pretty good over his GM tenure at these type of signings. They don't jump out at you, but they are sneaky depth signings, and instantly make the D-line better than last year

swiper
05-03-2023, 06:38 AM
Fat. Loves fat-dripping bacon, cheese covered french fries. Bites players. Kicks people. Steps on hands. Spits at you as he shouts at you. Needs two locker spaces.

Forward_Lateral
05-03-2023, 06:41 AM
Fat. Loves fat-dripping bacon, cheese covered french fries. Bites players. Kicks people. Steps on hands. Spits at you as he shouts at you. Needs two locker spaces.
Where's Mikey been, anyways?

Historian
05-03-2023, 09:43 AM
Where's Mikey been, anyways?

Unwedded bliss.

Had dinner with him last week at Duffs.

On Monday, Beane joined Tasker and his bald pal and defended his decision not to stuff the roster to 90 players.

He essentially said that every rookie and every FA would get a chance to legitimately compete for a roster spot, while leaving the door open for signings once other teams make cuts.

As opposed to bringing in a guy and cutting him without ever seeing the field.

This gives him credibility with most agents too.

Forward_Lateral
05-03-2023, 10:34 AM
Unwedded bliss.

Had dinner with him last week at Duffs.

On Monday, Beane joined Tasker and his bald pal and defended his decision not to stuff the roster to 90 players.

He essentially said that every rookie and every FA would get a chance to legitimately compete for a roster spot, while leaving the door open for signings once other teams make cuts.

As opposed to bringing in a guy and cutting him without ever seeing the field.

This gives him credibility with most agents too.
He's not married yet??

Is he still with the same girl?

DraftBoy
05-03-2023, 12:28 PM
This signing for me is similar to the Rapp addition. Great depth who will be a significant contributor. Well done Beane!

ghz in pittsburgh
05-03-2023, 12:39 PM
I have soured on Philips. The Bills got the best version of him when he got released from the Dolphins. But he is what he is that we have seen him for 10 years and in different uniforms, maybe a game or two of "wow" performance but not much beyond that, be it injury or something else.

I'd prefer a more reliable guy even though he may not flash something special like Philips is capable of.

justasportsfan
05-03-2023, 12:49 PM
I have soured on Philips. The Bills got the best version of him when he got released from the Dolphins. But he is what he is that we have seen him for 10 years and in different uniforms, maybe a game or two of "wow" performance but not much beyond that, be it injury or something else.

I'd prefer a more reliable guy even though he may not flash something special like Philips is capable of.

in his defense, he was injured.
I'm curious to see how the same people are gong to react with McD instead of Frazier calling the shots on D.

notacon
05-03-2023, 02:06 PM
BTW....some Bills trivia about our newest big ass D-lineman....I asked earlier (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/263080-Bills-signing-DT-Poona-Ford-to-one-year-deal?p=5020255&viewfull=1#post5020255) "who in the world names their kid “Poona”?!?!? http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/images/smilies/D.gif:D:”

The Buffalo News provided the answer (https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-poona-ford-defensive-tackle-free-agents-nfl/article_7bb8b11a-e913-11ed-a41c-1b585c09937b.html)....

A South Carolina native, Ford has a given name of Kaylon Nakia Ford Jr., but his nickname has stuck since childhood. It came from his paternal grandmother, who called him her "Pooh Bear," Cynthia Ford Williams told the Austin American-Statesman in 2016 (https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2016/09/23/just-call-him-poona-texas-ford-plays-at-a-larger-level/10128924007/).

“I switched it over to ‘Poona’ to make it look a little more grown up,” she said.

Later they dedicated a whole article to the subject....

How new Bills defensive tackle Kaylon Ford Jr. became Poona (https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/how-new-bills-defensive-tackle-kaylon-ford-jr-became-poona/article_08afc3be-e91f-11ed-8c80-778338d13303.html)

No, his given name is not Poona.

His birth certificate says Kaylon Ford Jr.

But everyone knows him as Poona Ford, and now he's a member of the Buffalo Bills after agreeing to a one-year contract Tuesday (https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-poona-ford-defensive-tackle-free-agents-nfl/article_7bb8b11a-e913-11ed-a41c-1b585c09937b.html).

Cynthia Ford Williams, Ford's paternal grandmother, nicknamed him "Pooh Bear," as in Winnie the Pooh when he was just 2 months old and she rocked him to sleep.

Then came grade school, and well, young Kaylon wasn't too keen on his grandmother yelling "Pooh Bear" to get his attention when she picked him up from school.

“I switched it over to ‘Poona’ to make it look a little more grown up,” Williams told the Austin American-Statesman in 2016 when Ford was at the University of Texas (https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2016/09/23/just-call-him-poona-texas-ford-plays-at-a-larger-level/10128924007/).

Even that wasn't good enough for her embarrassed grandson.

“He said, ‘Ma, don’t call me Poona in front of these girls,' " Williams recalled. “You know what? I yell it out again. I said, ‘Poona, get in the car!’ He just laid in the backseat real nice and quiet. He was shy in front of those girls.”

More…

Forward_Lateral
05-03-2023, 02:29 PM

I mean, he was playing with one arm for part of the season. He played well before he got hurt last year. No reason to be sour on him, especially when his contract is basically peanuts.

daryls61
05-03-2023, 02:48 PM
I wonder if Settle is the odd man out?

Woodman
05-03-2023, 04:15 PM
I wonder if Settle is the odd man out?

Most likely unless they keep him for insurance. :cheers:

acehole
05-03-2023, 05:14 PM
Most likely unless they keep him for insurance. :cheers:

Me thinks this is a move before a ed Oliver trade. They are the same player.

4th rounder?

Would you do it?

Next year is a reload/rebuild year with youth movement anyway.

Woodman
05-06-2023, 09:58 PM

4th rounder?

Would you do it?

Right now I'd have to say yes I would.

notacon
05-07-2023, 02:35 PM

4th rounder?

Would you do it?

No. Poona Ford and Ed Oliver are not “the same player”.

Poona is a fit for one-technique DT more in the role of DaQuan Jones.

He will be his primary backup and core rotational DT, first and foremost for Jones....who had more snap counts than the Bills preferred. If anything the signing of Ford is a preclude to not re-sign Jones next year.

I have no idea if the Bills will choose to extend Ed Oliver. I suspect that it is more likely than many Bills fans think.

I believe there is a slim (to very little) chance that Oliver will be traded anytime soon.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-08-2023, 09:23 AM
No. Poona Ford and Ed Oliver are not “the same player”.

Poona is a fit for one-technique DT more in the role of DaQuan Jones.

He will be his primary backup and core rotational DT, first and foremost for Jones....who had more snap counts than the Bills preferred. If anything the signing of Ford is a preclude to not re-sign Jones next year.

I have no idea if the Bills will choose to extend Ed Oliver. I suspect that it is more likely than many Bills fans think.

I believe there is a slim (to very little) chance that Oliver will be traded anytime soon.
Agreed Oliver is not traded. But I don't know we re-sign him long term - depends on what he think he's worth.

I think everyone sees a big difference Jones made to the D line last year earlier in the year. He wound up playing too many snaps because no one else is effective at 1-tech DT. Settle is supposed to be his back up but we see why he's a backup in Washington. If Jones holds up well this year, I can see they sign him to something like 2 year extension.

It is very difficult to find a star 3-tech DT though. We know the impact of those guys when we play them: Chris Jones of the Chiefs of the world, Jets, Dolphins have them. I'm sorry Oliver is not one of those guys.

Woodman
05-08-2023, 12:27 PM

Right now he hasn't shown enough to warrant an extension.

He still can but I'd put it at slim to none and slim just left town. JMO

swiper
05-08-2023, 12:42 PM
Oliver will go as Edmunds went. Bye-bye. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

notacon
05-08-2023, 01:11 PM
Oliver will go as Edmunds went. Bye-bye. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

You mean that Oliver will get a huge FA offer that will make him one of the highest paid DT’s in the NFL?!?!?

Hmmmmm....

Your analogy and premise is silly baloney.

Edmunds was not considered one of the best LB’s in the NFL because he was made the 4th highest paid LB in the league. He was made the 4th highest paid LB's in the NFL because he IS one of the best LB’s in the NFL and got what he is worth and deserved.

It was not smart roster management to have so much tied up in one position when they made Milano (after they knew they could not afford Edmunds) the 7th highest paid LB in the NFL.

As I have pointed out the FACTS (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/263081-Name-one-starter-on-our-team-that-if-we-lost?p=5020920&viewfull=1#post5020920)....

"the 14 positions that have multiple players on each team (excluding single player positions....LS, FB, K & P) for 32 teams (448 instances) only FOUR teams have two players within the top 10 AVG/Y salary for the same position...

Miami - CB - #3 & #6
Baltimore - CB - #4 & #10
LAC - EDGE - #2 & #5
Wash - DL - #3 & #8."

Of course, your posts show a lack of the capacity to observe reality and facts and come to a reasonable conclusions. Your posts project all consuming hate. It burns within everything you write.

Oliver is not one of the best DT’s in the NFL, so it is doubtful he will be in the same situation as Edmunds with another team making him the 4th highest paid DT in the NFL. Whether he is extended or not is still to be determined and anyone who proclaims to know what will happen is pulling crap from their ass and calling it a rose.

In any event.....it takes a special kind of ****ty fake Bills “fan” to crap on Bills players with such unbridled vitriol.

Forward_Lateral
05-08-2023, 01:29 PM
Notacon, Oliver is not going to get a huge contract from The Bills.

He will get a huge contract from another team, like the Bears.

He won't be worth that contract.

That's what Swiper was trying to say.

notacon
05-08-2023, 02:16 PM

Maybe, maybe not. I have no idea, and neither does swiper or anyone else.

I WILL predict this....Ed Oliver will NOT get a “huge contact” from ANY team that will make him the 4th highest DT in the NFL.

There is a very good chance that he won’t even get close to the top 10 or even the top 15.

Why?? Because he is not even close to being one of the best DT's in the NFL.

Forward_Lateral
05-08-2023, 02:28 PM

I WILL predict this....Ed Oliver will NOT get a “huge contact” from ANY team that will make him the 4th highest DT in the NFL.

There is a very good chance that he won’t even get close to the top 10 or even the top 15.

He could have a monster year, or he could have an avg year. If he has a monster year, someone will pay him as a top DT, that's just the nature of the NFL.

I would love to see The Bills keep him, as he's definitely an above average player, and at times dominating. I just think he wants to be paid, and I don't think it will be The Bills who pay him.

Woodman
05-08-2023, 02:36 PM

Bottom line it all depends on his play this year.

notacon
05-09-2023, 01:02 PM
He could have a monster year, or he could have an avg year. If he has a monster year, someone will pay him as a top DT, that's just the nature of the NFL.

I would love to see The Bills keep him, as he's definitely an above average player, and at times dominating. I just think he wants to be paid, and I don't think it will be The Bills who pay him.

Again, maybe, maybe not.

The fact of the matter is that Oliver has played very well, especially last year. Not necessarily up to the expectations of being a #9 overall pick, but he is absolutely a well above average DT. If I were to rank him, I would say in the top 20 or 25.

Again, not up to the expectations that followed him when he was drafted in the top 10...a very lofty and premium selection. But, he’s not chopped liver either.

I have no idea if the Bills will extend him or not. I suspect it will come down to how much. Will other NFL teams be willing to pay him like he thinks he’s worth???

Again, I have no idea, and anyone who says that they do are fooling themselves.

We saw the perfect example with the Jordan Poyer saga since well before the 2022 season even started. With his wife proclaiming that he was not getting paid to the level that he should have been. He sat out all of the off season OTA’s, and, what at times seemed to be a bitter, public contract negotiation signaled that he was gone.

Poyer undoubtably is one of the best safeties in the NFL, and was named to his first Pro Bowl in 2022. He tested the FA market and the market came back and told him what they thought he was worth. Not what he thought he was.

He ends up signing a very team friendly two year contract with AVG/Y of only $6.5M....well below the 2 year contact he signed in 2020 that averaged $9.75M. It was widely assumed he was asking, and expected, to be within the top 10 highest paid safeties ($14M). He is now the #27 highest paid safety.

Yes, he’s older and contracts are mostly a reflection of the future expectations of a player’s potential contributions....but, the NFL market is still the most accurate reflection of a player’s perceived value. There are nine safeties 30 years or older getting paid more than Poyer.

#5, Harrison Smith, Vikings, is getting $16M AVG/Y. So age is not the only deciding factor.

Is Oliver’s idea of what he deserves out of whack??? Who knows? Will there be a team that may offer him an out of whack contract??? Maybe. Will the Bills try and extend him if the price is right??? Probably. They would be dumb not to pursue it since Oliver has proven himself a more than capable DT with flashes of elite level play.

I’ll let our favorite professional sport media analyst, Joe Buscaglia, whom I, at least, value and trust his well informed, unbiased and insightful expert opinions much, much more than any amateur blowhard here (including myself). In his All-22 film analysis of the last game last season....the debacle vs Cincy....

Bills’ final 2022 grades: How much do last impressions impact offseason decisions? (https://theathletic.com/4131664/2023/01/27/bills-2022-grades-offseason/)

DT Ed Oliver

In a game in which the Bills needed a huge performance from fourth-year defensive tackle Ed Oliver (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/ed-oliver-wS7InKrtkHpNB7Lw/), he had one of the worst games of his career. Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/joe-burrow-MHPQIoyRCSO0fiiE/) is one of the best at getting the ball out quickly, so instant pressure would have been the best route to slowing down their passing game. Defensive tackle is the quickest path to the quarterback in the pocket, which is why he was so important to the game plan. Oliver also worked against a trio of interior offensive linemen, including a rookie and a backup, but failed to make noise from his pivotal three-technique defensive tackle position. He provided little as a pass rusher and got pushed around on rushing attempts out of shotgun. Oliver will be in his fifth-year option in 2023, so what should we make of his disappointing performance?

It was no doubt one of the most significant contributions to the Bills’ defeat Sunday, but it likely wasn’t a sign of things to come for Oliver. He has been one of the most consistent weekly performers throughout his career, and in the two months leading up to the Bengals game, Oliver was on the short list of the best players on the roster. The surrounding talent at defensive tackle against the Bengals was well below the norm, which is notable to Oliver’s performance. DaQuan Jones (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/daquan-jones-70J5MNRzqKg5ixnt/) was injured, a torn rotator cuff severely restricted Jordan Phillips (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/jordan-phillips-c8SuUOg5YQcWICH7/), and Oliver spent most of his snaps next to the underwhelming Tim Settle (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/tim-settle-zMYnriWVJvQxaX1g/). Oliver received a lot of attention from the Bengals because of it. Part of the trouble with the Oliver debate is a lot of the positive things he does goes unnoticed, and he isn’t the flashy three-technique some were expecting. The discussion is similar to the one that followed linebacker Tremaine Edmunds (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/tremaine-edmunds-JKo3MELPaAeeJbLo/) for years. Those flash plays are likely the “more meat on the bone” general manager Brandon Beane referred to Tuesday. But Oliver still makes impact plays almost every week and should remain a core starter.

Common sense, even handed, intelligent and well informed objectively accurate analysis.

Joe B.’s final season long GPA grade for Oliver was 3.24, which placed him #6 of all players....Stefon Diggs was #1 with a 3.47 GPA, and the two lowest were #34 Tyrel Dodson with a 2.09 and #35 David Quessenberry with a 2.06.

I can’t avoid mentioning that swiper’s hatred for certain players clouds his judgement as he actually said (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/263064-The-quot-MIKE-quot?p=5020581&viewfull=1#post5020581) that “Dodson is better than Edmunds”….ALL evidence to the contrary.

It’s silly claims like this that invite ignoring the ranting of the haters and respecting objective, knowledgeable, professional experts like Joe B.

Forward_Lateral
05-09-2023, 01:20 PM
FWIW, the franchise tag for DTs this year was 19 million

notacon
05-09-2023, 02:01 PM

Ouch.

Oliver is not worth that and the Bills would probably never even consider using it.

Woodman
05-09-2023, 05:32 PM

He's gone!

swiper
05-09-2023, 05:39 PM

That's what swiper did say. Only it can't be interpreted by ret@rds apparently.

swiper
05-09-2023, 05:42 PM
The fact here is that the Bills interior d-line has not been right since Kyle Williams retired.