X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick76777
    • Jul 2002

Strange move Belichick!

Now that it’s over, I have to say that cutting Milloy was a very strange move.

Maybe I’m missing something, can someone please help me.

Lawyer was under contract

The Pats were under the cap

The season is about to start

Why not let the guy play the year and then cut him?

Is it still a post-June 1st thing?

That’s the only thing I can think of.
    Resign our own guys!
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

too expensive to sit on the bench?

Comment

• lordofgun
      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

The way I hear it, the rule of 51 no longer applies once the season starts, which means all 53 players count against the cap.

That would have pushed them over.

I read that somewhere.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Patrick76777
        • Jul 2002

Are you serious Log?

They're that close?
        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Throne Logic
          Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
          • Aug 2002

If they waited until next year, the cap hit would have been all toward the 2004 season. By cutting him now, they get to split it between the two seasons. They must be looking at some serious troubles next season.

Or, perhaps his replacement looks just as good as Milloy did this camp & preseason. Drop the higher cost player . . .

I'm not convinced that Milloy is worth the nearly $4 Million per year we will be paying him. I hope I'm wrong.
          Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• Patrick76777
            • Jul 2002

$2 M base salary this year. That's not so bad.
            Resign our own guys!

Comment

• lordofgun
              in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

TL, I read that even with the release, he counts over 6 mil on next year's cap for the Pats. Ouch.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• XNOUGHT
                • Mar 2003

Harris is faster, but he is not Milloy's leadership equal.

However, guys like Colvin, Ted, Seymour, Harrison, and Brusci will have to step up.
                I'm lost.

Comment

• Patrick76777
                  • Jul 2002

3 days before a season with a stacked team and some fans are worrying about the Cap next season.

Scary!
                  Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Jul 2002

Yeah, I don't get it either.

They must have thought that they could back him into a corner to renegotiate, but it backfired.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

The timing was wrong, but the move wasn't unusual. Philadelphia let Jeremiah Trotter and Hugh Douglas go, and aren't going to re-sign Bobby Taylor or Troy Vincent. Emmitt Smith is in Arizona. It happens all the time in the NFL.

The Pats were up against the cap, but could have cleared room in other ways. The real reason was Milloy had become too expensive. The Pats wanted him to take a paycut. My moving to the 3-4 as a base defense, the Pats won't rely on their safeties for run support as much. They re-allocated money to the LB position by signing Colvin, so they were spending too much on Milloy. Rodney Harrison can move up into the box if needed, so Milloy was making too much money for what they were asking him to do, so they sought a paycut. Milloy refused and left, which happens all the time.

People try to make it personal, and Milloy feels slighted just like Larry Centers did when the Bills cut him. However, in reality is is the harsh nature of business in the NFL.

That said, the unusual part of the move is the timing, and criticism of that is well deserved.

Comment

• Patrick76777
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                        The timing was wrong, but the move wasn't unusual. Philadelphia let Jeremiah Trotter and Hugh Douglas go, and aren't going to re-sign Bobby Taylor or Troy Vincent. Emmitt Smith is in Arizona. It happens all the time in the NFL.

The Pats were up against the cap, but could have cleared room in other ways. The real reason was Milloy had become too expensive. The Pats wanted him to take a paycut. My moving to the 3-4 as a base defense, the Pats won't rely on their safeties for run support as much. They re-allocated money to the LB position by signing Colvin, so they were spending too much on Milloy. Rodney Harrison can move up into the box if needed, so Milloy was making too much money for what they were asking him to do, so they sought a paycut. Milloy refused and left, which happens all the time.

People try to make it personal, and Milloy feels slighted just like Larry Centers did when the Bills cut him. However, in reality is is the harsh nature of business in the NFL.

That said, the unusual part of the move is the timing, and criticism of that is well deserved.

That's what I was thinking.

on NFL Live they were saying it was a good move because the pats have 2 ones and 2 seconds in the draft next year. But that's next year.

You guys have a solid team. Why not let the year play out and then cut him. It'll suck if Drew hits 2 or 3 deep down the middle this week in a win and you guys miss the playoffs by one game.
                        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Throne Logic
                          Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
                          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by lordofgun
                          TL, I read that even with the release, he counts over 6 mil on next year's cap for the Pats. Ouch.
                          Heh. that's great!

Regardless of monitary reasons, it sure did screw with the team morale.

Ty Law Rodney Harrison

. Bill B.
                          Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

Actually, the move will result in about $4,053,624 in dead money in 2004. For 2003, he is $1,4M in dead money, but frees up a lot of space due to his $4.4M base salary.

The Pats are in pretty good cap position for the long-term.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

The timing of the thing was a risk the Pats took. I think they felt if they backed him into a corner, he would take the paycut. In the end, he didn't and was able to get a good deal from Buffalo.

Life goes on.

Comment

Working...
                              X