PDA

View Full Version : Bills Sign Pass Rusher Shane Ray

Mahdi
05-14-2023, 01:01 AM
This is interesting… was a good player until injuries kept him off the field. If he’s healthy he can help us on 3rd down.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/13/shane-ray-signs-with-bills-as-he-attempts-nfl-comeback/

swiper
05-14-2023, 05:53 AM
The Broncos made him the 23rd overall pick in 2015, and he made four sacks in 15 games as a rookie. Denver won Super Bowl 50, and Ray had two tackles, a forced fumble and a quarterback hit in 20 defensie snaps.

He totaled eight sacks, 21 quarterback hits and returned a fumble for scored a touchdown in 2016. Ray, though, underwent four wrist surgeries the next two years.

The Ravens signed him in 2019, but Ray didn’t make the roster.

He had not gotten another NFL contract until Saturday.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/13/shane-ray-signs-with-bills-as-he-attempts-nfl-comeback/ (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/13/shane-ray-signs-with-bills-as-he-attempts-nfl-comeback/)

YardRat
05-14-2023, 06:35 AM
Last chance for Ray...might be a practice squad guy.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-14-2023, 08:19 AM
Last chance for Ray...might be a practice squad guy.
What about Espenesa? Is he on the "last chance" as well?

swiper
05-14-2023, 08:24 AM

Although a Beane draftee will get every opportunity to prove himself, it should be. Seen about enough.

Would be nice to see the Bills use a traditional 4-3 package sometimes and move him to SLB. He's probably more effective standing up than with his hand in the dirt.

DraftBoy
05-14-2023, 09:51 AM

The entire DL outside of Miller and Rosseau are on the last chance watch if we’re being honest.

Mace
05-14-2023, 03:32 PM
The entire DL outside of Miller and Rosseau are on the last chance watch if we’re being honest.

I'd add Jones.

Woodman
05-14-2023, 06:42 PM
“Words can’t describe the emotions I’m feeling right now,” Ray wrote on his Instagram. “So many tears, sleepless nights, depression, everything that comes with losing the game. So many days of having nothing but hope while fighting a uphill battle. There where times that I thought maybe I should give up, but I wouldn’t be me if I folded.Even in my darkest moments I believed in myself. I believed in my preparation. I believed that I would have another opportunity even if the world didn’t believe. There are so many people that have been on this journey with me supporting me and I thank you all!!! When I needed someone to lean on you all wouldn’t let me fall. Most importantly thank you God!!! It’s official im a Buffalo Bill!!!I’m so grateful and excited for this opportunity this moment I’ve dreamt about for 4 years. I’m back!!!!!!!”’

f8ta1ity54
05-14-2023, 07:22 PM
This is a good move IF he is healthy.

imbondz
05-14-2023, 10:13 PM
Every Bronco fan on Twitter said he was trash and this is a Von Miller friend signing. Out of the league for 5 years is a long time.

Woodman
05-14-2023, 10:16 PM
He's gotta be considered a very very long ------- shot JMO.

Mahdi
05-14-2023, 11:21 PM
He’s been playing in the CFL…

At 30 he can still be an effective pass rusher.

Novacane
05-15-2023, 05:48 AM
No harm in giving him a chance.

sukie
05-15-2023, 07:14 AM
Maybe the 6’6” and taller pass rushers are a bad idea. This guy is 6’3” 260. Center of gravity is lower… maybe.

perhaps Groot and AJ are too tall to “turn the corner” figuratively AND literally.

Woodman
05-15-2023, 01:52 PM
It's a very big season for him.

notacon
05-15-2023, 03:35 PM

Exactly. No risk signing with possible upside.

Chet
05-16-2023, 03:06 AM
It's a very big season for him.
Nah, the last 2 years showed us all we need to see. He doesn’t have it. Time to move on after the rookie deal

Woodman
05-16-2023, 10:56 AM
Nah, the last 2 years showed us all we need to see. He doesn’t have it. Time to move on after the rookie deal

Put it this way his job is on line right now.

He's gotta show more or its bye bye.

We could say that about any of them really.

Give Miller as much time as he needs .... but even he will need to perform JMO.

daryls61
05-19-2023, 06:27 AM
Never a bad idea to bring talent into camp but he has not lived up to expectations. Long shot to make team.

sukie
05-19-2023, 08:47 AM
Every Bronco fan on Twitter said he was trash and this is a Von Miller friend signing. Out of the league for 5 years is a long time.

I see the merit in this opinion but it’s not like he was installing flooring the last 5 years and suddenly got an itch.

no harm no foul bringing him in from Canada in Cam’s Wake. (See what I did there?)

Woodman
05-20-2023, 09:14 PM

No reason not too. :gobills:

Woodman
06-03-2023, 10:31 PM
Recently-signed Bills LB Shane Ray looking to make NFL comeback after injuries derailed career (https://www.nfl.com/news/recently-signed-bills-lb-shane-ray-looking-to-make-nfl-comeback-after-injuries-d)

The Bills' rookie minicamp last month included a number of players fresh out of college, along with one who was trying to make an NFL comeback after years away.

30-year-old linebacker Shane Ray (https://www.nfl.com/players/shane-ray/) was signed to Buffalo's roster after completing the workout, getting him one step closer to playing in the NFL for the first time since 2018.

The Broncos had drafted Ray No. 23 overall in 2015, and in his first season he was a part of Denver's Super Bowl 50 roster. He looked to be building on that momentum in his second year, playing in all 16 games (eight starts) and collecting eight sacks. But in 2017 came the emergence of recurring wrist injuries that severely limited his playing time over the next two years.

He was repeatedly placed on injured reserve and underwent four wrist surgeries in that time, leading to the Broncos letting him go after the 2018 season. Though he had a brief preseason stint with the Ravens, Ray did not play in 2019, partially due to the continued impact of his injury. Then with 2020 came the pandemic and its associated challenges, and Ray spent the next few years getting healthy and playing in the Canadian Football League, spending two years with the Toronto Argonauts as he tried to work his way back.

Ray described this time as some of the toughest years he's experienced, forcing him to reevaluate his perspective on life and football.

ticatfan
06-05-2023, 07:37 AM
He's hungry.

swiper
06-05-2023, 08:10 PM
He's hungry.

The addition of Floyd has to be deflating. Beane is doing a good job creating camp battles.