PDA

View Full Version : 'Sophia the Fierce' was a friend to Bills cornerback Kaiir Elam to the end

Dr. Lecter
05-15-2023, 06:36 AM
https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/sophia-the-fierce-was-a-friend-to-bills-cornerback-kaiir-elam-to-the-end/article_eef69e9c-f2a7-11ed-8c20-97e2d6047c5d.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

A few weeks ago, Kaiir Elam had pierogi for the first time.

The Buffalo Bills cornerback had been hearing about them for months. His friend, Sophia the Fierce, talked about them a lot. Pierogi were her favorite food. They talked about them just about every time they saw each other.

Elam would ask Sophia if her mom had made any that week, and the answer often was yes. Even after it became too hard for Sophia to eat, she would still find a reason to request them.

On May 9, Sophia Benintende died. She was 9 years old.

sukie
05-15-2023, 07:03 AM
Cancer blows but in kids it is heart wrenching. I trained at the old Roswell Park back in the early 80s and remember treating kids in radiation oncology. Piggy back rides down the elevator into the basement where the machines were. I remember even though I was a kid of 18 myself. I salute you Sophia. Elam has been touched by an angel.

Forward_Lateral
05-15-2023, 10:41 AM
Man my allergies are flaring up

notacon
05-15-2023, 12:03 PM
Awesome story that was part of my morning reading...this excerpt is heart wrenching....

In late April, the Benintende family was told Sophia had only a few days left. Elam heard she wasn’t doing well and came to the house to visit.
<o:p></o:p>
Sophia was on oxygen and staying in the living room, her family sleeping on the couches next to her. It was hard for her to move.
“When I first opened the door, she called her mom over. She said, ‘Mom,’ in a very faint voice,” Elam said. “And her mom's like, ‘Kaiir’s here.’ She's like, ‘I know. Can you make him pierogis?’
“And, like, she can't sit up and greet me or anything. Because she was in so much pain. She was just, like, laying down on a pillow. And the first thing she says is, ‘Mom, can you make Kaiir pierogis?’ And I thought in my heart, it was just … that almost made me shed a tear. Because it was like she was so worried about me. And I’m coming to the house worried about her. … I’m coming to her support, and she’s trying to help me.”
For all the times Sophia had raved about pierogi, Elam still hadn’t had any. Soon, he would find out they were delicious. He had always believed Sophia’s endorsement, but he had been waiting.
“I never tried them before,” he said. “Because I always wanted to try with her.”<o:p></o:p>

sukie
05-15-2023, 12:41 PM
We piss and main at each other with opinions of this player and that coach. The fact that Elam became invested in this little girl shows the human side. Nothing about this player as a man sucks. He’s awesome and yes. Pierogis are excellent.

these guys get caught up in the community and provide so much joy it moves me.

seeing Josh signing only for kids. Diggs tossing a signed ball back and forth with a little one. Just a hug means so much.

the mafia gives back to the players. I love that players wanna be part of the community.

Canadian'eh!
05-15-2023, 01:05 PM
https://www.gofundme.com/f/SophiaTheFierce

you know what do Bills Mafia.

Forward_Lateral
05-15-2023, 01:06 PM
It just makes you remember that players are human beings too. They aren't just multi-million dollar robots who play football and roll around in their money

notacon
05-15-2023, 01:13 PM
We piss and main at each other with opinions of this player and that coach. The fact that Elam became invested in this little girl shows the human side. Nothing about this player as a man sucks. He’s awesome and yes. Pierogis are excellent.

these guys get caught up in the community and provide so much joy it moves me.

seeing Josh signing only for kids. Diggs tossing a signed ball back and forth with a little one. Just a hug means so much.

the mafia gives back to the players. I love that players wanna be part of the community.
That’s what the Walter Payton Award is all about.

The only award that every yearly winner is privileged and honored to wear the distinguished patch on their uniform for their whole career.

https://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/171129152835-eli-manning-jersey-patch-art-780x439.jpg