PDA

View Full Version : A theory for Belichick's move

Judge
09-04-2003, 11:08 AM
I posted this on the "strange move Belickick" thread, but am interested in seeing what anyone else might think- NE fans out there with a thought? It certainly shook the team to its core with the player reactions I saw. Was that the purpose?

<< quote:
Originally posted by NE39
The timing was wrong, but the move wasn't unusual. ... People try to make it personal, and Milloy feels slighted just like Larry Centers did when the Bills cut him. However, in reality is is the harsh nature of business in the NFL.

That said, the unusual part of the move is the timing, and criticism of that is well deserved. >>

My question:

Any possibility that Bill Bellickick thought he needed to kick his team in the collective @$$ with a MAJOR wakeup call to tell them to shape up or else?

What better way to do that than to dump 1 of the "untouchables"? In the NHL, trading a captain does that kind of thing. Maybe Bill was afraid of losing his team and showed them who's boss by getting rid of a leader who no longer saw eye-to-eye with him?

Just a theory!

Ickybaluky
09-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Nah, I don't buy it. I think they wanted to get Milloy to take a paycut, and figured they could back him into a corner. He called their bluff and now he is gone.

Now Belichick will move on. He isn't one to worry about a lot other than his own team, so he will adjust and move on. Your right, he does have balls and doesn't care what people think. Sometimes that is to his detriment. His biggest weakness as a coach is his people skills, or lack thereof. However, he is a bright guy and always has a plan if it doesn't go his way.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2003, 11:12 AM
BTW, I am interested in how the Pats team will react as well. I think they will be OK, as the Pats are a very business-like team. They have a lot of veteran leaders and I don't think it will effect their preparation.

The one thing that may be a concern is Milloy's knowledge of the gameplan. Lawyer is a very bright player and knows the defense well. He also plays against the offense regularly and knows the personnel. I am curious to see how much of a factor that will be.

casdhf
09-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Maybe he knew he'd sign with the Bills...and ole' Billy is keeping tabs on Milloy to get secrets from the inside. I smell a spy.

Judge
09-04-2003, 11:14 AM
The color guy for the Patriots radio broadcasts was on a local Buffalo radio station (WNSA) this morning and intimated that ther'es more to the release of Lawyer than has been disclosed thus far. That made me think that Bellichick might have wanted to send his team a message.

WG
09-04-2003, 11:18 AM
Nah, I don't buy it. I think they wanted to get Milloy to take a paycut, and figured they could back him into a corner. He called their bluff and now he is gone.

Now Belichick will move on. He isn't one to worry about a lot other than his own team, so he will adjust and move on. Your right, he does have balls and doesn't care what people think. Sometimes that is to his detriment. His biggest weakness as a coach is his people skills, or lack thereof. However, he is a bright guy and always has a plan if it doesn't go his way.

You got it 39!!

I asked my Pats bud last night during our FFL draft. He's avid abotu football and the Pats. I asked him why and what he thought.

His answer was that yes, he didn't care for it, but that no, Milloy simply isn't worth $5M+/yr. He understood the move although no fan enjoys seeing a seasoned PB vet leave.

But isn't it quite possible and even somewhat likely, that Milloy's best years are behind him?

I mean his totals dropped off about 20% or so from the season before last year and he registered 0 sacks, INTs, or FFs. Isn't that what we got on our DBs for last season? So why does he get a pass here?

IMO he's on the downside of his career as many players are once they hit 30 or 32 depending upon the position. A hard-hitting S may "come up" sooner.

Having said that, I still think he has several years of well-above average ball still in him, but again, he's likely not a $4-5M/ssn. player anymore. But we'll find out, won't we! :)

Certainly his signing bonus has him here thru at least '05 in that he'd be too costly to cut prior to then.

Billsbabee
09-04-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Judge
The color guy for the Patriots radio broadcasts was on a local Buffalo radio station (WNSA) this morning and intimated that ther'es more to the release of Lawyer than has been disclosed thus far. That made me think that Bellichick might have wanted to send his team a message.

IMO, he suck as a messenger then. If that's how he send messages and I was a Pats player, I'd have lost some respect for him.

Judge
09-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Billsbabee

IMO, he suck as a messenger then. If that's how he send messages and I was a Pats player, I'd have lost some respect for him.

But you'd probably play your butt off to keep your job. Who cares about respect- do what it takes to win.

WG
09-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Is that kind of like a messenger who sends a message to a RB by drafting another RB while we are ear-deep in RBs and while completely ignoring two other key need areas to the extent that they don't seem any better than they were last year?

Same kind of sucky messenger?

Just curious...

:D

WG
09-04-2003, 11:22 AM
But you'd probably play your butt off to keep your job. Who cares about respect- do what it takes to win.

Does that apply to Adams too Judge?

Just curious...

:D

Ebenezer
09-04-2003, 11:27 AM

Bingo...BB overplayed his hand big time..don't forget he is the guy who cut Kosar...a move that some believe precipitated the Browns moving from Cleveland...defensive genius? yes...but I want this guy at my table when playing poker.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Eb, say what you want, but Belichick never gets caught without a plan. If he took a risk, he will have already figured out what will happen under each scenario. Belichick is the most prepared coach in the NFL.

Also, Belichick may have wrote his own ticket in Cleveland, but you can't blame him for the team moving. That was all on Modell.

Ebenezer
09-04-2003, 11:35 AM
Also, Belichick may have wrote his own ticket in Cleveland, but you can't blame him for the team moving. That was all on Modell.

I don't deny that...on the radio yesterday a national talking head was saying that the there was political backlash over giving Modell a new stadium and that it was precipitated by Kosar getting cut...I should have explained that in my first post.

Judge
09-04-2003, 11:35 AM
Eb, say what you want, but Belichick never gets caught without a plan. If he took a risk, he will have already figured out what will happen under each scenario. Belichick is the most prepared coach in the NFL.

Exactly. I'm just trying to figure out what Belichick is up to- ther'es more than simply a mistake.

I can't see how releasing Kosar could have brought the departure of the Modell Browns, by the way. Odd correlation.

Wys- you never heard of different motivational techniques, huh?

WG
09-04-2003, 11:43 AM
We're talking about a player here who didn't even log a sack or INT. A Safety.

I think too much is being made of this.

Why is it so tough to understand that Milloy got greedy?

He's not worth what they would have paid him or what he wanted. He wasn't willing to negotiate. BB has to think of next offseason too.

Why is the notion that Milloy may perhaps not be the player he was in his prime, now that he's leaving his prime?

I really think it's that simple. Is he better than what we have? Yes. Will he be worth the over $4M he'll be getting from us in '05 and '06 if he isn't cut? I doubt it. But we'll see.

$15M w/ a third of it up front in bonus money is a lot to be paying a S. Cutting him after '04 will cost us nearly $2.5M in cap hit, so likely he'll be around in '05 at the age of 32/33. I'm sure he'll be well on his downside by then. Yet, we'll be paying him around $3M on top of the SB that he got.

This contract will only prove to be decent if he has 3 good seasons left in him. If he has 4, we've gotten a great deal. Else, it may not be the best of contracts.

We'll see. I'm sure he'll be great for us this year. So no sense in worrying about him or the cap right now. I'd be more concerned about us still needing a DE and possibly a DT.

Judge
09-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

He's not worth what they would have paid him or what he wanted. He wasn't willing to negotiate. BB has to think of next offseason too.

Then we might as well cut Antoine Winfield right now too- might as well think of next season and how he'll probably ask for more $$ than the Bills can afford. Might as well not worry about how he's signed and under this year's cap for fear of losing him next year.

We should have done the same thing with Peerless last year- why let him catch 90+ passes last year if we knew he'd likely be gone this season?

That logic makes no sense. Milloy was signed sealed and delivered for this season. You don't cut a guy 4 days before the regular season starts as a money-saving move. Doesn't make sense. There's more to it- I'm convinced.

Throne Logic
09-04-2003, 11:49 AM

I don't think the work ethic of Milloy has ever been in question. In fact, I don't think the work ethic of this Pats team has ever been in question, either. Next to Pittsburgh and Green Bay, this is one of the most blue collar, down-to-business teams in the league.

Tatonka
09-04-2003, 11:53 AM
You got it 39!!

I asked my Pats bud last night during our FFL draft. He's avid abotu football and the Pats. I asked him why and what he thought.

His answer was that yes, he didn't care for it, but that no, Milloy simply isn't worth $5M+/yr. He understood the move although no fan enjoys seeing a seasoned PB vet leave.

But isn't it quite possible and even somewhat likely, that Milloy's best years are behind him?

I mean his totals dropped off about 20% or so from the season before last year and he registered 0 sacks, INTs, or FFs. Isn't that what we got on our DBs for last season? So why does he get a pass here?

IMO he's on the downside of his career as many players are once they hit 30 or 32 depending upon the position. A hard-hitting S may "come up" sooner.

Having said that, I still think he has several years of well-above average ball still in him, but again, he's likely not a $4-5M/ssn. player anymore. But we'll find out, won't we! :)

Certainly his signing bonus has him here thru at least '05 in that he'd be too costly to cut prior to then.

Why is the notion that Milloy may perhaps not be the player he was in his prime, now that he's leaving his prime?

I really think it's that simple. Is he better than what we have? Yes. Will he be worth the over $4M he'll be getting from us in '05 and '06 if he isn't cut? I doubt it. But we'll see.

$15M w/ a third of it up front in bonus money is a lot to be paying a S. Cutting him after '04 will cost us nearly $2.5M in cap hit, so likely he'll be around in '05 at the age of 32/33. I'm sure he'll be well on his downside by then. Yet, we'll be paying him around $3M on top of the SB that he got.

This contract will only prove to be decent if he has 3 good seasons left in him. If he has 4, we've gotten a great deal. Else, it may not be the best of contracts.

We'll see. I'm sure he'll be great for us this year. So no sense in worrying about him or the cap right now. I'd be more concerned about us still needing a DE and possibly a DT.

remember what i was talking about with you being repetive... you just did it here in two post in the same thread on page one..

why is the glass always half empty with you??

maybe his skills are declining.. you know.. he didnt log a sack.. blah blah blah..

man.. i know your a bills fan.. but sometimes.. i just dont get you..

you say great move one day.. then rip the guy the next.. you do this with all the players..

last year.. and no i dont have a link.. i remember you saying that josh reed was the wrong pick.. bad pick.. easy pick.. ect ect.. now you love him..

you dogged henry like he was a scrub.. and were all about bryson.. didnt see you take bryson in the FF draft this year.. hmm.. and you are in love with henry, talking about 2000 yards rushing ect..

your opinions on these guys changes all the time.. and then you go back and say .. I TOLD YOU SO.. after playing both sides of the fence..

after milloy comes out and tears **** up this year.. you will be like.. "hey.. i said great move".. and if he sucks a dick.. you will be like "i knew it.. i told you he was declining.. and let me repeat.. he ddint have any sacks, ints or ff last year.. "

come on man..

The Spaz
09-04-2003, 11:54 AM
I think he may have ADD!:)

Judge
09-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic

I don't think the work ethic of Milloy has ever been in question. In fact, I don't think the work ethic of this Pats team has ever been in question, either. Next to Pittsburgh and Green Bay, this is one of the most blue collar, down-to-business teams in the league.

I don't argue with you, but maybe the wheels were falling off inside the Patriots lockerroom.

Tatonka
09-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Then we might as well cut Antoine Winfield right now too- might as well think of next season and how he'll probably ask for more $$ than the Bills can afford. Might as well not worry about how he's signed and under this year's cap for fear of losing him next year.

We should have done the same thing with Peerless last year- why let him catch 90+ passes last year if we knew he'd likely be gone this season?

That logic makes no sense. Milloy was signed sealed and delivered for this season. You don't cut a guy 4 days before the regular season starts as a money-saving move. Doesn't make sense. There's more to it- I'm convinced.

lol.. great point..

L.A. Playa
09-04-2003, 02:26 PM
i have a question if bill belichek is such a genius why didnt the browns win a super bowl ??? and also for such a defensive genius why did his defense stink last year????? remember they might have beat us bad twice last year but if gregg williemas would have stepped up and challenged him it might have been different. bill belichek is trying to be like parcells and is a good coach not a great one now that williams has some mentors, ie le beua and steckel i think we will see improvement on game day decisions also a 29 year old saftey who can hit hard is smart and runs a 4.3 40 is worth the risk if we lose winfield in the offseason at least he will play his butt off to try to get paid next year and donahue will get a good replacement

bernielivsey_1
09-04-2003, 03:15 PM
"In the NHL, trading a captain does that kind of thing."
He plays hockey too????? Kool

Wys give us a week before you start that crap. Stop peeing in our chowder.