PDA

View Full Version : Bills Sign DE Floyd

Buffalogic
06-05-2023, 07:06 AM
Reuniting with Von

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/05/bills-sign-leonard-floyd/

Forward_Lateral
06-05-2023, 07:12 AM
Interesting. Coming off of 3 straight 9+ sack seasons.

Night Train
06-05-2023, 07:40 AM
The 30-year-old Floyd has spent the past three seasons with the Los Angeles Rams. He is coming off a nine-sack season in 2022. A 6-foot-5, 240-pounder, Floyd is a former first-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears in 2016. He spent the first four years of his NFL career in Chicago, finishing with 154 tackles and 18.5 sacks in 54 games.

His production has shot up over the past three years in Los Angeles. Floyd had 184 tackles and 29 sacks with the Rams in 50 games.

Floyd potentially gives the Bills' pass rush a big boost, particularly while his former teammate with the Rams, Von Miller, remains out as he rehabs following knee surgery. Floyd will compete with Greg Rousseau, A.J. Epenesa, Boogie Basham and Shaq Lawson for time on the edge.

Woodman
06-05-2023, 08:04 AM
Turning up the heat ..... great addition.

:gobills:

Canadian'eh!
06-05-2023, 08:13 AM
Good signing. I’ll take it to mean Hopkins really is looking for OBJ money. Assuming we are out on him. Adding another good pass rusher is always a good move.

Saratoga Slim
06-05-2023, 10:19 AM
WGR says top 10 in sacks over the last three years. The other 9 are all total studs (Watt, Reddick, Chris Jones, Aaron Donald, etc). His rush D grades aren't terrible either.

This takes a lot of pressure off getting Vonn back early. And when Von does come back, Vonn/Floyd/Rousseau is a sexy top 3.

This appears to be part of the extend Oliver plan.

justasportsfan
06-05-2023, 10:38 AM
We're signing DEs hopefully to go after the QB and not simply to contain them.
Our DE's under Frazier have been meh or boring. I know it isnt all about the sacks but , I dont think we've had any DEs have 3 sack seasons under Frazier.
Hoping we get more aggressive . I still want a bully of a DL

DraftBoy
06-05-2023, 10:46 AM
Floyd has been more of a standup edge throughout his career. He definitely adds some pass rush ability, it will be interesting to see how McDermott plans to use him.

Ed
06-05-2023, 10:54 AM
I was hoping the Bills would add another vet DE like Justin Houston, but I hadn't really considered Floyd as an option. I'd say Shane Ray's chances of making the team just took a big hit. And even if Von starts the season on the PUP they'll need to keep 5 DEs for Shaq, AJ, and Boogie to all make it.

The last buffalo fan
06-05-2023, 10:55 AM
Floyd has been more of a standup edge throughout his career. He definitely adds some pass rush ability, it will be interesting to see how McDermott plans to use him.
Well, that would be a plus already!

DraftBoy
06-05-2023, 11:06 AM
I was hoping the Bills would add another vet DE like Justin Houston, but I hadn't really considered Floyd as an option. I'd say Shane Ray's chances of making the team just took a big hit. And even if Von starts the season on the PUP they'll need to keep 5 DEs for Shaq, AJ, and Boogie to all make it.

I don’t think Boogie or AJ are close to locks to make it.

Saratoga Slim
06-05-2023, 12:13 PM

That was my first reaction. One of Boogie or AJ is now a trade or cut candidate.

AJ and his 6.5 sacks last season seems like the more likely of the two to garner interest on the trade market.

swiper
06-05-2023, 12:40 PM
Today the Bills finally replaced Lorenzo Alexander.

- - - Updated - - -

That was my first reaction. One of Boogie or AJ is now a trade or cut candidate.

AJ and his 6.5 sacks last season seems like the more likely of the two to garner interest on the trade market.

Floyd will stand and play over one of those guys opposite Miller.

tomz
06-05-2023, 01:23 PM
Today the Bills finally replaced Lorenzo Alexander.

- - - Updated - - -
This was my thought exactly.

Floyd will stand and play over one of those guys opposite Miller.

notacon
06-05-2023, 01:44 PM
EXCELLENT signing.

Takes the pressure off Von Miller returning too quickly and provides a expedited and effective EDGE rusher that can be used in rotation throughout the year.

Now it makes sense why the Bills decided to (smartly) to extend Oliver right now. Cut his 2023 cap hit by around one half.

The Bills are undeniably a better team than they were last year.

Woodman
06-05-2023, 01:52 PM
Important signing period!!!!

ghz in pittsburgh
06-05-2023, 02:13 PM
So who's not making the roster? Assuming Von on PUP list to start with, we have Rousseau, Basham, AJ, Lawson, Ray, Floyd.

Canadian'eh!
06-05-2023, 02:41 PM

I really suspect he’ll rotate in to pass rush on 3rd downs mostly. I imagine it’ll be more standing up than hand on the ground. But I doubt he’ll play on a lot of early downs.

Woodman
06-05-2023, 04:18 PM
So who's not making the roster? Assuming Von on PUP list to start with, we have Rousseau, Basham, AJ, Lawson, Ray, Floyd.

Ray is my guess .... with Basham a close 2nd. :idunno:

swiper
06-05-2023, 05:53 PM
EXCELLENT signing.

Takes the pressure off Von Miller returning too quickly and provides a expedited and effective EDGE rusher that can be used in rotation throughout the year.

Now it makes sense why the Bills decided to (smartly) to extend Oliver right now. Cut his 2023 cap hit by around one half.

The Bills are undeniably a better team than they were last year.

A little late, Captain Obvious. Hard to get out from under your rock today?

swiper
06-05-2023, 05:56 PM

Beane is particularly bad at drafting in the 2nd & 3rd rounds.

Second whiffs: Tremaine Edmunds, Epenesa, Basham, Cody Ford....

Canadian'eh!
06-05-2023, 06:33 PM
Beane is particularly bad at drafting in the 2nd & 3rd rounds.

Second whiffs: Tremaine Edmunds, Epenesa, Basham, Cody Ford....

edmunds was a 1st

swiper
06-05-2023, 06:42 PM
edmunds was a 1st

Right. He was the second selection in that draft for Buffalo. Good thing Beane drafted Josh, it covered for the rest of that draft. They let Phillips walk as a failed 3rd. He mistakenly gave away an All-Pro guard in 5th rounder Wyatt Teller. Neal & Johnson turned out to be ok. And the 49ers love Ray-Ray McCloud as a returner.

sukie
06-05-2023, 06:54 PM
Right. He was the second selection in that draft for Buffalo. Good thing Beane drafted Josh, it covered for the rest of that draft. They let Phillips walk as a failed 3rd. He mistakenly gave away an All-Pro guard in 5th rounder Wyatt Teller. Neal & Johnson turned out to be ok. And the 49ers love Ray-Ray McCloud as a returner.
Good thing he got Diggs for a first.

Ray Ray… bills never needed to draft a returner.

Lexwhat
06-05-2023, 07:13 PM
Great signing. So many underrated defensive FA signings this year (Floyd, Poona Ford, Rapp).

I think Epenesa will stay on the team as a low-cost situational pass rusher, but I see this as his last year as a Buffalo Bill.

swiper
06-05-2023, 07:46 PM
Good thing he got Diggs for a first.

Ray Ray… bills never needed to draft a returner.

I hope Allen gets him the ball more.

Woodman
06-06-2023, 07:14 AM
Brandon Beane on Leonard Floyd- We always believe in trying to be strong up front - ProFootballTalk (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/06/brandon-beane-on-leonard-floyd-signing-we-always-believe-in-trying-to-be-strong-up-front/)

“We always believe in trying to be strong up front (https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1665793334328324097),” Beane said. “We really tried to solidify our O-line and then now this just gives us another body, another pass rusher. Protect your quarterback and get after the other team’s quarterback. We faced Leonard with the Rams this year and he’s a player over the last three years has had close to 30 sacks. He’s been right around that 9.5-10 and just another guy we can add up and add along with that.”

Beane said he spoke to Miller before finalizing an agreement with Floyd and said Miller told him Floyd will be a good fit with the team’s culture as they try to extend their run of AFC East titles and find even more playoff success than they have in the last few seasons.

sukie
06-06-2023, 11:48 AM
The more I see and read about Leonard Floyd…

I LOVE this signing.

Woodman
06-06-2023, 11:59 AM
The more I see and read about Leonard Floyd…

I LOVE this signing.

He's a stud!

Ed
06-06-2023, 01:09 PM
It looks like it's a $7 mil deal that can increase to $9 mil with sack incentives. Not sure about void years or cap hit. Says he turned down more money from others to come to Buffalo because he wants to win.

sukie
06-06-2023, 01:12 PM
It looks like it's a $7 mil deal that can increase to $9 mil with sack incentives. Not sure about void years or cap hit. Says he turned down more money from others to come to Buffalo because he wants to win.

Void years? it’s a 1 year deal.

Ed
06-06-2023, 01:14 PM
Void years? it’s a 1 year deal.
Right, so they might add a void year or two to spread the cap hit.

notacon
06-06-2023, 01:15 PM
A little late, Captain Obvious. Hard to get out from under your rock today?

What is wrong with you?!?!?!

Woodman
06-06-2023, 02:37 PM
WGR says top 10 in sacks over the last three years. The other 9 are all total studs (Watt, Reddick, Chris Jones, Aaron Donald, etc). His rush D grades aren't terrible either.

This takes a lot of pressure off getting Vonn back early. And when Von does come back, Vonn/Floyd/Rousseau is a sexy top 3.

This appears to be part of the extend Oliver plan.
Right on!

Woodman
06-06-2023, 03:55 PM
Leonard Floyd- I want to win the Super Bowl, Bills are the best team - ProFootballTalk (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/06/leonard-floyd-i-want-to-win-the-super-bowl-bills-are-the-best-team/)

New Bills pass rusher Leonard Floyd (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/1417/leonard-floyd) reported for his first day of work today and said that he had plenty of options in free agency but chose to go to Buffalo because he thinks it’s a place where he can win a ring.
“It’s simple,” Floyd said. “I want to win. I want to win the Super Bowl. I’m examining teams, looking at their rosters, and the Bills are the best. I just felt like if I come here I can help the team get there.”

Novacane
06-06-2023, 04:13 PM

Those three aren't all making it.

Novacane
06-06-2023, 04:20 PM

Boogie was such a stupid pick after taking Rousseau. If he was the best on their board they should have traded down.

Woodman
06-06-2023, 04:42 PM
Boogie was such a stupid pick after taking Rousseau. If he was the best on their board they should have traded down.

Looked dumb when they did (Draft Boogie) and even more so now.

Woodman
06-07-2023, 09:27 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JMqQkezKAg8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Typ0
06-07-2023, 05:26 PM
This guy makes the defense better. We struggled so much up front last season. It's not just the pass rush all those guys have to battle and maintain the LOS or teams can just run downfield because you can't stop them on 3rd and 1. We need more tenacity on defense. It's as much about every little tiny disruption you can make as it is about getting the sack. The sacks will come if the disruption is there -- and so will the turnovers.

The rotation was faulty last year and couldn't achieve any consistency at the LOS. I am still not sure if it is the whole idea of rotation they have implemented or the players they have in it but this man is a good sign to try and make the roster better and achieve that goal.

swiper
06-07-2023, 05:50 PM
Those three aren't all making it.

Let 'em all fight it out in camp.

Woodman
06-08-2023, 09:43 AM
As it should always be.

May the best man win!