PDA

View Full Version : A Stefon Diggs trade would be difficult, but far from impossible

Woodman
06-14-2023, 08:51 AM
Obviously, they can trade him. Any player can be traded, even if he has a no-trade clause (as long as he waives it). The question is whether the team is willing to suffer the cap consequences of doing so.
Because June 1 has come and gone, the Bills would suffer NO cap consequences in 2022 for trading Stefon Diggs. None. (Actually, the Bills would gain $1.165 million by shifting Diggs’s salary to a new team.)
Next year, yes, the Bills would take a cap charge. His $21.5 million signing bonus from 2022 has $12.9 million in unallocated dollars. His $16 million option bonus from 2023 has $12.8 million in unallocated dollars. And a $6.745 million restructuring bonus from 2023 has $5.396 million in unallocated dollars.
That’s a total cap charge of $31 million that the Bills would absorb in 2024. However, the Bills also would avoid paying Diggs $18 million in cash. Also, his various bonus payments would count for another $8.849 million, giving him a cap charge in 2024 of $26.849 million.

A Stefon Diggs trade would be difficult, but far from impossible - ProFootballTalk (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/14/a-stefon-diggs-trade-would-be-difficult-but-far-from-impossible/)

Woodman
06-14-2023, 09:08 AM
So while the Bills would eat $31 million next year by trading Diggs, it’s a net difference of only $4.151 million over what the Bills already will carry next year under the cap for Diggs.
Thus, it can be done. And, until we know exactly what Diggs wants, it’s a possibility that can’t be entirely dismissed.

sukie
06-14-2023, 09:16 AM
So while the Bills would eat $31 million next year by trading Diggs, it’s a net difference of only $4.151 million over what the Bills already will carry next year under the cap for Diggs.
Thus, it can be done. And, until we know exactly what Diggs wants, it’s a possibility that can’t be entirely dismissed.

Net difference. Where in that equation has Diggs continuing as WR1. Football is not about dollars alone.

notacon
06-14-2023, 01:02 PM
I’ll give Diggs this.....he’s managed to perk up one of the slowest and boring times in the NFL offseason.

The drama queen has given the opening for the kind of speculation that runs rampant this time of year.

No, the possibility that Diggs can be traded “can't be entirely dismissed”. I guess by the “1% doctrine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_Percent_Doctrine)” anything could happen. :rolleyes:

jamze132
06-15-2023, 04:35 AM
Well if we’re gonna trade Diggs, send him to another AFC East team so he can torture us on the field too.

Seriously though, we ain’t trading Diggs.

sukie
06-15-2023, 08:45 AM
I will only post here as a plea to let this thread die. WR1 is here to stay. Having this thread title appear is like not knowing you stepped in dog crap and walking all over your living room carpet. Every glance you see reminders of dog crap.

Post after me and you are making an offering to the 8-9 gods. It’s on you.

Bill Cody
06-15-2023, 01:29 PM
I will only post here as a plea to let this thread die. WR1 is here to stay. Having this thread title appear is like not knowing you stepped in dog crap and walking all over your living room carpet. Every glance you see reminders of dog crap.

Post after me and you are making an offering to the 8-9 gods. It’s on you.

this is why I had all the carpets removed and replaced them with Pergo

- - - Updated - - -

Diggs is not finding new digs