PDA

View Full Version : 2023 No. 4 quarterback room: Buffalo Bills

Woodman
06-15-2023, 08:42 PM
Allen can do it all. That’s part of the problem. They rely on him to do too much. They don’t have enough help around him. And the help that’s there — receiver Stefon Diggs (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/9728/stefon-diggs) — currently isn’t happy, about something.

It’s still not enough to knock down the Bills, because of Allen. He’ll take the Bills as far as he can. But he still can’t do it alone. The Bills need more talent around him, and they need to be more creative in their attack, so that they don’t have to constantly rely on Allen to be the difference maker.

Elsewhere in the team’s quarterback function, Joe Brady coaches the position, and Kyle Allen (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/1142/kyle-allen) and Matt Barkley serve as Allen’s understudy. Allen remains the reason for the Bills to be No. 4. Without him, the Bills might not even be a playoff contender. With them, they could get back to the Super Bowl for the first time in 30 years — and perhaps finally win one.

2023 No. 4 quarterback room- Buffalo Bills - ProFootballTalk (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/15/2023-no-4-quarterback-room-buffalo-bills/)

Frenchman
06-15-2023, 09:58 PM
The #4 QB could be in the PS on it. Just in case!

YardRat
06-16-2023, 05:25 AM
I'm tired of the 'he needs more talent around him' rationalization. Mahomes has won MVPs and SBs with a rotating cast of role players, and Kelce. Allen/Diggs should be able to do the same.

sukie
06-16-2023, 07:09 AM
Tyreek wasn’t a role player and Kelce is tops at his position. Offensive line talent has to be considered.

Historian
06-16-2023, 07:41 AM
I agree with Sukie.

The revamped O line will tell the tale.

If he cannot succeed with a solid wall in front of him, maybe he isn't the guy.

But people forget....and Tasker mentioned this a couple days ago....the Bills were three plays from being 17-0 in the regular season.

That's pretty significant.

DraftBoy
06-16-2023, 11:56 AM
I agree with Sukie.

The revamped O line will tell the tale.

If he cannot succeed with a solid wall in front of him, maybe he isn't the guy.

But people forget....and Tasker mentioned this a couple days ago....the Bills were three plays from being 17-0 in the regular season.

That's pretty significant.

I don’t get the faith anybody is putting in the OL changes. I guess it’s mostly just hope that it gets better.

sukie
06-16-2023, 12:16 PM
I don’t get the faith anybody is putting in the OL changes. I guess it’s mostly just hope that it gets better.

It can’t be worse so that means better to start with. If Quizzles gets cut or never sees the field that means better.

healthy Brown, Connor McGovern was not a lateral move. Edwards has started and may be just depth in Buffalo

Brandon Shell is a veteran depth.

then they drafted “the Irishman” who won’t be in bench long.

line got better.

Historian
06-17-2023, 07:32 AM
I think they definitely upgraded the talent on the offensive line.

The question is, will they play well as a cohesive unit.

Buffalogic
06-17-2023, 10:09 AM
I'm tired of the 'he needs more talent around him' rationalization. Mahomes has won MVPs and SBs with a rotating cast of role players, and Kelce. Allen/Diggs should be able to do the same.Mahomes gets way too much credit. It's Andy Reid. Look at Mahomes numbers in the superbowls. Hell his two tds in the eagles superbowls were sideways pass walk-ins.

There are a lot of talented qbs in the NFL. Scheme and coaching is what counts after you get the talented qb.

Turf
06-17-2023, 11:46 AM
KC has Andy Reid. If we had a top notch OC everything would be different. This is a make or break year for Dorsey. He has no excuses. He has to show he's an exceptional, not just suitable OC.

notacon
06-17-2023, 03:06 PM
Mahomes gets way too much credit. It's Andy Reid. Look at Mahomes numbers in the superbowls. Hell his two tds in the eagles superbowls were sideways pass walk-ins.

There are a lot of talented qbs in the NFL. Scheme and coaching is what counts after you get the talented qb.

I don’t buy this for one second.

Reid had an extremely capable Alex Smith and Kielce for years. Does not sniff a Super Bowl until Mahomes shows up.

Bill Belichick is in the same situation. He has Brady and he’s a SB winning coach. Brady goes away and he’s for ****.

Buffalogic
06-17-2023, 04:45 PM
I don’t buy this for one second.

Reid had an extremely capable Alex Smith and Kielce for years. Does not sniff a Super Bowl until Mahomes shows up.

Bill Belichick is in the same situation. He has Brady and he’s a SB winning coach. Brady goes away and he’s for ****.Of course you don't...Which makes it overwhelmingly true.

YardRat
06-17-2023, 06:02 PM
Tyreek wasn’t a role player and Kelce is tops at his position. Offensive line talent has to be considered.

Tyreek wasn't there last year. Diggs is one of the top at his. KC had to rebuild their oline at the same time we did. They were successful, we weren't.

YardRat
06-17-2023, 06:05 PM
KC has Andy Reid. If we had a top notch OC everything would be different. This is a make or break year for Dorsey. He has no excuses. He has to show he's an exceptional, not just suitable OC.

We had a top notch OC with Daboll.

Turf
06-17-2023, 09:16 PM

I respect your opinion and I may be off. But Daboll did a lot questionable things after his genius moment, while Reid is genius the whole game.

swiper
06-18-2023, 05:30 AM

"We" complained about him and questioned his decisions weekly during his entire tenure here, even after the big wins. Fact.

YardRat
06-18-2023, 06:31 AM
I respect your opinion and I may be off. But Daboll did a lot questionable things after his genius moment, while Reid is genius the whole game.

"We" complained about him and questioned his decisions weekly during his entire tenure here, even after the big wins. Fact.

Both are true. I did also.

Does that mean Daboll wasn't a 'top notch' offensive coordinator?

"We *****ed about Daboll when he was here too" doesn't really lend much credence to current complaints about Dorsey.

swiper
06-18-2023, 06:55 AM
Both are true. I did also.

Does that mean Daboll wasn't a 'top notch' offensive coordinator?

"We *****ed about Daboll when he was here too" doesn't really lend much credence to current complaints about Dorsey.

Dorsey is allowed a learning curve. I don't think any long time Bills fan was too happy about what he did last season much of the time. Let's see what he does in 2023. I'm sure if Beane doesn't see improvement, he'll take action.

Canadian'eh!
06-18-2023, 08:47 AM
This new “Hurts is better than Allen” trend is laughable.

swiper
06-18-2023, 10:54 AM
Hurts had a coming out year in 2022. Allen had a leveling off year in 2022, largely due to having a neophyte OC. 2023 will be a new animal. You have to remember when Michael Vick was running around. That was short-lived, until league defensive coordinators figured out how to defend him, mainly using spies. These guys that, when pressed, have to make the decision or throw will more often run. That's why Lamar Jackson's star won't last long. He gets too jumpy to sit in the pocket and find an open receiver. He's going to go the route of Vick. Allen has the ability to stand in the pocket and find an open receiver.

DraftBoy
06-18-2023, 11:19 AM
It can’t be worse so that means better to start with. If Quizzles gets cut or never sees the field that means better.

healthy Brown, Connor McGovern was not a lateral move. Edwards has started and may be just depth in Buffalo

line got better.

Oh it can absolutely be worse. If you don’t think so then you are either naive or have never seen what happened to David Carr.

Nobody you mentioned either implies or guarantees improvement. The only thing it shows is consistency with how Beane likes to go with affordability along the OL.

DraftBoy
06-18-2023, 11:23 AM

That’s mostly based on who has guided their team to a Super Bowl. Fair or unfair prepare for it to continue until Josh gets there.

notacon
06-18-2023, 12:40 PM
Of course you don't...Which makes it overwhelmingly true.

:rofl: What immature and silly "logic”. Actually lack of logic.

My premise is backed up undeniable facts.

notacon
06-18-2023, 01:22 PM
I’m not sure where you are seeing a “new “Hurts is better than Allen” trend”.

Mike Florio is not presenting a “QB ranking” like Phil Simms does (which Florio refrred to).

In fact Chris Simms has ranked Hurts #7 (https://sports.nbcsports.com/2023/06/07/2023-chris-simms-top-40-qb-countdown/), (which seems very fair) with Mahomes, Burrow & Allen #1, #2 & #3…which is very fair and realistic too.

This ranking (#4 QB room) is very accurate. Placing Philly’s “QB room” ahead of the Bills is not ranking Hurts above Josh Allen.

Mike Florio describes what the criteria for the ranking as (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/11/starting-monday-well-rank-all-quarterback-rooms-top-to-bottom/)….

Chris Simms has ranked, as he does every year, the best 40 quarterback in the NFL. Junior and I decided that it would make sense, given that things are very slow right now, to rank the entire quarterback function for each of the NFL’s teams, top to bottom.

It’s not just the starter. It’s the starter, the backup(s), the position coach, the coordinator, the head coach, and all other factors relevant to ranking a team’s quarterback function in comparison to the rest.

We’ll post one per day, starting at the top and working our way down. No. 1 is coming on Monday. On Tuesday, No. 2. And so on

What is left out of the quote of the original article that started this thread is this….

I’m definitely interested for now. Especially because it wasn’t easy to come up with the No. 4 team, after the Chiefs, Eagles, and Bengals.

I opted, after going back and forth for most of the day, for the Bills. Yes, the Bills. Even though their head coach isn’t an offensive expert. Even though he’ll be even more distracted this year by calling defensive plays. Even though offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey doesn’t seem to be as effective as his predecessor, Brian Daboll, was.

But Josh Allen is still Josh Allen. He’s one of the very best quarterbacks in the league, either second to Patrick Mahomes (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/8824/patrick-mahomes) or third to Mahomes and Joe Burrow (https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/57910/joe-burrow).

It’s hard to argue that Josh Allen is NOT #2 behind Mahomes, or at the very least, #3 ever so slightly behind Burrow, mainly based on their playoff performances.

Burrow did, in fact get to a Super Bowl by beating the Chiefs. Burrow is 1-1 vs KC in the playoffs, and Josh Allen and the Bills are 0-2.

It’s also good to read the write ups for the three team’s “QB room” that rank above the Bills….with a reminder in the Chief’s #1 ranking of what is is NOT…

It’s not a list of quarterbacks; we’ll defer to Chris Simms on that one. It’s a list of overall quarterback function. Starter, backup(s), position coach, offensive coordinator, head coach.

2023 No. 1 quarterback room: Kansas City Chiefs (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/12/2023-no-1-quarterback-room-kansas-city-chiefs/)

2023 No. 2 quarterback room: Philadelphia Eagles (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/13/2023-no-2-quarterback-room-philadelphia-eagles/)

Remember, this isn’t a quarterback ranking. It looks at everything. Starter, backups, coaches, etc.

When considering all those factors, the Eagles come in second

2023 No. 3 quarterback room: Cincinnati Bengals (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/14/2023-no-3-quarterback-room-cincinnati-bengals/)

With Marcus Mariota as Hurts primary backup, that makes the Phily QB room better than the Bills with just that criteria.

Both Mahomes’ backup, Blaine Gabbert, and Burrow’s backup, Trevor Siemian are better than either Kyle Allen or Matt Barkley, not getting into the QB coach, OC and HC.

All-in-all, this ranking by Mike Florio is pretty accurate and spot on.

notacon
06-18-2023, 01:24 PM

There were more than a few posters that railed against Daboll all the time, and welcomed his leaving the Bills.

notacon
06-18-2023, 01:36 PM

line got better.
There is little doubt that the O-line is almost assuredly better than 2022. They naysayers will always be naysayers.,..that’s their problem.

It is very likely the Bills will have FIVE new O-lineman. With two of them almost sure hefty upgrades (excuse the pun)....Connor McGovern & O’Cyrus Torrence.

Spencer Brown will (hopefully) be healthier (which he was not last year). He sustained an ankle injury vs the Chiefs and missed two games (even with after bye week).

Ankle injuries for O-lineman are not welcome and can have lingering effects for weeks and weeks. He also missed the second half of the “heat” game vs Miami.