PDA

View Full Version : Josh Allen Madden is $100- WTF?

OpIv37
07-06-2023, 09:41 PM
I have a PS5 and I love video games. I’m not great at the nextgen sports games so I haven’t bought a Madden game in at least 15 years, but I’m ok at the new NHL games (made by EA Sports, the same company that makes Madden). With Allen on the cover, I figured I’d give Madden another shot, but the pre-order in the PlayStation store is $99.99. I’ve never paid more than $60 for a video game in my life, and I usually wait til the price goes down and pay a lot less than that.

I’ll buy it eventually but I’m not paying the launch price.

DraftBoy
07-07-2023, 04:02 AM
I have a PS5 and I love video games. I’m not great at the nextgen sports games so I haven’t bought a Madden game in at least 15 years, but I’m ok at the new NHL games (made by EA Sports, the same company that makes Madden). With Allen on the cover, I figured I’d give Madden another shot, but the pre-order in the PlayStation store is $99.99. I’ve never paid more than $60 for a video game in my life, and I usually wait til the price goes down and pay a lot less than that.

I’ll buy it eventually but I’m not paying the launch price.

???

I see the Standard Edition being listed at $69.99 for pre-order. I think you saw the Deluxe Version.

OpIv37
07-07-2023, 07:43 AM
???

I see the Standard Edition being listed at $69.99 for pre-order. I think you saw the Deluxe Version.

It was the only 24 version that showed up in the PlayStation Store when I searched for “Madden.” The only other results were prior year editions.

Woodman
07-07-2023, 02:47 PM
It's only money .... are you a fan or not? :D

gr8slayer
07-08-2023, 11:45 AM
Entry price for games these days is $70... It gets confusing because there are usually multiple versions of the game.

Scroll to the bottom, it's down there for $69.99: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/madden-nfl/

OpIv37
07-08-2023, 07:07 PM
Entry price for games these days is $70... It gets confusing because there are usually multiple versions of the game.

Scroll to the bottom, it's down there for $69.99: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/madden-nfl/

Yeah $69.99 is the standard price for new release games. Usually, I don’t buy them at release- I wait until the price goes down. The exceptions are God of War, Assassin’s Creed and Grand Theft Auto.

So, I guess it’s just a matter of deciding if I want to buy it right away or wait for the price drop.

notacon
07-09-2023, 12:13 PM
Yeah $69.99 is the standard price for new release games. Usually, I don’t buy them at release- I wait until the price goes down. The exceptions are God of War, Assassin’s Creed and Grand Theft Auto.

So, I guess it’s just a matter of deciding if I want to buy it right away or wait for the price drop.

Another generational difference between us.

I think video games are a waste of time and money. Never have played them and never will. (Mostly) Younger people play video games. Older people (for the most part) don’t.

I grew up reading. I was a paperboy for the Buffalo Courier Express and delivered that morning newspaper seven days a week, 365 days year. I read every page of everyday’s paper (except Sunday....skipped over a lot of the Sunday fluff).

I don’t get any paper based news these days, but spend my money on subscriptions to many online publications and spend more time reading....certainly more than watching TV

Although this is the era of stellar streaming content, and I enjoy many types of storytelling.....interestingly, the older I get the less I like to watch violence. Comic book movies are the worst.

To each their own. Interesting that the average age of gamers is 33. And 60% of gamers are under the age of 34. 73% are 44 years old or younger.

https://www.theesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/2_ESA_2022_Essential_Facts.jpg

Only 6% of 65+.

I wonder if as today’s under 44 crowd gets older, they will retain their love of gaming?

daryls61
07-09-2023, 03:41 PM
I am going to buy it because they brought back the training camp mini games. Loved those. I usually only play the first season and then let it sim with me ad GM and do training. Very excited. Hopefully NCAA comes back. So fun t recruit and build a team. I always played as UB and tried to build it up. Might be easier since they are D1 now.

gr8slayer
07-09-2023, 08:27 PM

Even at $70 it's still one of the cheapest form of entertainment there is ($ per hour) so I'm not against paying full price.

OpIv37
07-09-2023, 08:45 PM
Even at $70 it's still one of the cheapest form of entertainment there is ($ per hour) so I'm not against paying full price.

Fair point.

On a semi-related note, that’s my mentality for playing golf. If you get a hole in one every hole, or are double par every hole, the round costs the same. So, in terms of per-stroke pricing, being a bad golfer is far more economical than being a good golfer.

But, your point holds true in terms of sports games. There is no end to the story. You can play them forever. And while the Bills are good now, the NFL is cyclical and at some point they will suck again, and if you buy the game now, you can always play the version where the Bills are good instead of paying the $70 for the latest.

Turf
07-09-2023, 10:09 PM

Yeah GTA doesn't express what's wrong with our upcoming generation of looting, stealing and criminal activity. Nice investment.

OpIv37
07-09-2023, 10:57 PM
Yeah GTA doesn't express what's wrong with our upcoming generation of looting, stealing and criminal activity. Nice investment.

OK, Boomer.

It’s a game. It’s fantasy. Try playing it, then emulating it in real life. You’ll be dead or in jail in minutes.

Madden is the same. It’s fantasy. None of us will ever score a touchdown in the NFL. But for the minimal investment of $69.99, you can break every real NFL record in a fake reality.

Literally everyone I know grew up on violent video games and none of them are actually violent. Video games are art imitating life, not the other way around.

Get over yourself and whatever bubble you live in. Games do not create violence.

notacon
07-10-2023, 02:23 PM
Fair point.

On a semi-related note, that’s my mentality for playing golf. If you get a hole in one every hole, or are double par every hole, the round costs the same. So, in terms of per-stroke pricing, being a bad golfer is far more economical than being a good golfer.

But, your point holds true in terms of sports games. There is no end to the story. You can play them forever. And while the Bills are good now, the NFL is cyclical and at some point they will suck again, and if you buy the game now, you can always play the version where the Bills are good instead of paying the $70 for the latest.

Oh boy....you certainly are not a golfer. What an absolutely lame comparison. When the point of the game is to have the least amount of stokes, thinking that "per-stroke pricing, being a bad golfer is far more economical than being a good golfer” is obtuse to the nth degree.

Stick to what you know. Golf and why it is an enjoyable activity is NOT one of them. :rolleyes:

ParanoidAndroid
07-10-2023, 03:06 PM
Oh boy....you certainly are not a golfer. What an absolutely lame comparison. When the point of the game is to have the least amount of stokes, thinking that "per-stroke pricing, being a bad golfer is far more economical than being a good golfer” is obtuse to the nth degree.

Stick to what you know. Golf and why it is an enjoyable activity is NOT one of them. :rolleyes:
Man. You can't have a non-confrontational conversation, ever?

What he said was funny.

And innocuous at worst.

You think playing video games is a waste of time? Fine. People on a forum talking about the video games they like don't need to hear it.

Lighten the ef up.

OpIv37
07-10-2023, 10:13 PM

What he said was funny.

And innocuous at worst.

You think playing video games is a waste of time? Fine. People on a forum talking about the video games they like don't need to hear it.

Lighten the ef up.

Playing video games is a waste of time. So is golf. So is macrame, so are crossword puzzles, so is watching football. Nothing good or productive comes from any of it, but that’s not the point. People enjoy doing it. That’s the only point.

You’re right. I made a bad joke about my golf ability. Nota needs to lighten up.

Turf
07-10-2023, 10:16 PM

What he said was funny.

And innocuous at worst.

Lighten the ef up.

I have to chime in. I actually meant it. Not as a knock against him, because I played COD for years and shoot em up games. But today's mental weakness is so weak, it only takes a fraction of a % to do something stupid to cause what we're experiencing.

OpIv37
07-10-2023, 10:32 PM
I have to chime in. I actually meant it. Not as a knock against him, because I played COD for years and shoot em up games. But today's mental weakness is so weak, it only takes a fraction of a % to do something stupid to cause what we're experiencing.

Oh for ****’s sake… “the younger generations can’t handle what my generation could.” Get the **** over yourself.

Historian
07-11-2023, 08:59 AM
I pre-ordered it for my son for 69 bucks.

My guess is that this year's edition is going to break all previous sales records.

And you will not be able to find one on the shelves in WNY until after the Christmas replenishment.

ParanoidAndroid
07-11-2023, 02:04 PM
I wasn't talking about you.

I wouldn't bother.

notacon
07-11-2023, 02:35 PM

What he said was funny.

And innocuous at worst.

Lighten the ef up.

Playing video games is a waste of time. So is golf. So is macrame, so are crossword puzzles, so is watching football. Nothing good or productive comes from any of it, but that’s not the point. People enjoy doing it. That’s the only point.

You’re right. I made a bad joke about my golf ability. Nota needs to lighten up.
Jesus. You guys need to “lighten up”. It was a joke about golf. Of course golf is a “waste of time”...as is last every human activity.

Buffatexas
07-19-2023, 02:26 PM
Im actually kind of pissed that JA made the cover this year. I enjoy the Madden series but only buy new ones when teams rebrand/change logos and I was hoping to wait until 26 to buy it again with the Bills new stadium and JA on the cover (hopefully). I guess with all the secondary helmets coming in this year I will probably suck it up and buy it anyway :)

Cali512
07-19-2023, 11:21 PM
Jesus. You guys need to “lighten up”. It was a joke about golf. Of course golf is a “waste of time”...as is last every human activity.

99.99% of your posts sound like they should be "jokes" or "sarcasm", so you sort of eliminated yourself from making such statements. Its hard to tell with you is all im saying because if i wrote most of your posts, im pretty sure half of the people here would thing i was just joking