PDA

View Full Version : HEAVY: Bills QB Josh Allen’s New ‘Favorite’ WR Projected as Surprise Cut

swiper
07-11-2023, 06:50 AM
Bills QB Josh Allen’s New ‘Favorite’ WR Projected as Surprise Cut (https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-qb-josh-allen-s-new-favorite-wr-projected-as-surprise-cut/ar-AA1dGliS?cvid=722ba2aa34cc496f9a3e5920c73cebfa&ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&ei=12)

There will be several position battles when the Buffalo Bills training camp kicks off later this month, and of the biggest question marks is which wide receiver will take over in the slot.

With Stefon Diggs’ as quarterback Josh Allen‘s No. 1 receiver, and Gabe Davis as his backup, the Bills will choose between Deonte Harty, Trent Sherfield (https://twitter.com/MattParrino/status/1666156244967489557?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1666156244967489557%7Ctwgr%5Eadeba31915461a9cb95c201516439c3bc35dcd91%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fheavy.com%2Fsports%2Fbuffalo-bills%2Ftrent-sherfield-cut-active-roster-prediciton%2F), and Khalil Shakir for WR3. The X-factor to this competition is pass-catching tight end Dalton Kincaid, the Bills’ first-round pick from the 2023 NFL Draft, who may also take snaps in the slot.

The Buffalo News‘ analyst Ryan O’Halloran predicts the team’s goal of using a ’12’ personnel (one running back, two tight ends, two receivers) will make Sherfield, 27, the odd man out, which would be a surprising development.

Amid Diggs’ absence from voluntary OTAs, Allen praised the former Dolphins receiver (https://youtu.be/4OSykxevld8), who signed a one-year (https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.947063d4840e597a5575736c9a012f03?rik=aKd7I2Ez7xLo8g&riu=http%3a%2f%2fimg.wennermedia.com%2farticle-leads-horizontal%2frs-19980-hotdogs-1800-1388695509.jpg&ehk=0N8uCRXNj4dAq95NgR7jZknP%2f960kSQGNDHYhiT7YA4%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0), who signed a $1.77 million contract with Buffalo this offseason.

The connection between Allen and Sherfield only continued to grow. The Athletic‘s Joe Buscaglia (https://powerrangers.fandom.com/wiki/Notacon) reported in mid-June, “As has been the case throughout the offseason workouts, without Diggs available to team drills, newly signed receiver Trent Sherfield has stepped up and been a favorite of Allen’s.”

O’Halloran acknowledges Sherfield’s release seems off base. “Wait, didn’t the Bills just sign Sherfield in March? Affirmative, but he could be this year’s version of tight end O.J. Howard, who was cut in August. Hear us out. The best guess is the Bills have spent the summer plotting ways to get tight ends Dawson Knox and Kincaid on the field together. That, in most cases, puts Kincaid in the slot,” O’Halloran wrote.

Night Train
07-11-2023, 06:55 AM
Who is Emily Bicks ??? LOL

notacon
07-11-2023, 02:30 PM
Who is Emily Bicks ??? LOL

Emily Bicks' Linkedin profile tells all (https://www.linkedin.com/in/emily-bicks-2b277498/)…

Experienced LA based Freelance Writer with a demonstrated history of working in the sports and entertainment industry. Skilled in Live Reporting, Interviews, Feature Articles, Storytelling, Movies, TV, Travel, Celebrity Profiles and Breaking News. Strong media and communications professional with a Bachelor's degree focused in Journalism from New York University.

Editor
Heavy Sports · Full-time Heavy Sports · Full-time Feb 2019 - Present · 4 yrs 6 mos Los Angeles Area
Breaking news, entertainment, sports and politics. Breaking news, entertainment, sports and politics.

Content Writer
Roche Nov 2018 - Nov 2019 · 1 yr 1 mo
Turns presentations from world-renowned scientists into easily digestible articles and essays.

Freelance Journalist
Eaze May 2018 - May 2019 · 1 yr 1 mo
Greater Los Angeles Area

Freelance Writer
New York ObserverMar 2015 - Jan 2019 · 3 yrs 11

Traveled on set visits to Kenya, Prague, Spain, Vancouver, New York, Atlanta, Austin, and Alabama. Interviewed and profiled famous actors, directors, producers, musicians, astronauts, and military elite. Traveled on set visits to Kenya, Prague, Spain, Vancouver, New York, Atlanta, Austin, and Alabama. Interviewed and profiled famous actors, directors, producers, musicians, astronauts, and military elite.

TV Writer
Refinery29, Inc. Jan 2017 - Jan 2018 · 1 yr 1
Greater Los Angeles Area

Freelance Writer
Variety May 2016 - Jun 2017 · 1 yr 2 m
Greater Los Angeles Area

Freelance Writer
People's Choice Sep 2016 - Apr 2017 · 8 m
Greater Los Angeles Area

Freelance Writer
Tribune Media Oct 2015 - Apr 2017 · 1 yr 7 mo
Greater Los Angeles Area

TV critic, op-eds, think pieces, on camera reporting, red carpet, interviews and event coverage.TV critic, op-eds, think pieces, on camera reporting, red carpet, interviews and event coverage.
Freelance Writer

HitFix Jun 2015 - Sep 2015 · 4 mo remote

Story Producer
Fly on the Wall Productions 2013 · Less than a year 2013

Created narrative for Season One of "Relative Insanity"

She is cute, which counts for something....

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/C5603AQG6MYjcgCRyAQ/profile-displayphoto-shrink_200_200/0/1532390977213?e=1694649600&v=beta&t=Etxk6UzKAShsjNjx-Hj_X0LU6WbZSfPak64xTwv9LJI

Concentrating on “entertainment” writing seems to be her main experience. LA California girl, who I suspect has never been close to Buffalo.

This is what the internet age has produced. “Writers” that read other’s REAL reporting and write about it.

In the article that was presented, she is just regurgitating what real sports reporters wrote….the one’s that are on the ground, in BUFFALO, doing the hard work visiting the team and talking to Bills professionals.

The idea of Sherfield being a possible training camp cut did NOT come from her own mind or reporting.

It was from the Buffalo News beat reporter, Ryan O’Halloran (who she duly cites…good job) that was published yesterday and I already read because I subscribe to the Buffalo News.

It includes several speculations of what “vets” might be vulnerable. A fairly typical kind of reporting during the dog days of the NFL off season in between the glorified photo-op AKA: Mini Camp and training camp.

It is one of the Buffalo News 10 part (this was the final article) series of questions “previewing Buffalo Bills training camp”

Here is the article with the sections about Sherfield highlighted…..

Bills training camp questions: Which experienced players are vulnerable to being cut? (https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-training-camp-roster-cuts/article_b4a1aa54-1b3b-11ee-bb24-2715c8857f8f.html)

The Buffalo Bills will have the same kind of good numbers issue entering training camp as they did exiting last month’s offseason program.

They have a surplus of NFL experience at tailback, defensive end, defensive tackle and safety … and not enough room on the initial 53-man roster.

The Bills have four tailbacks – most teams keep three.

They have seven defensive ends – most teams keep six.

A total of 25 tight ends were drafted in the first round from 2000 to 2022, and 23 of them played at least 10 games as rookies. Just six caught 40 or more passes. Seven more caught at least 30 passes.
<article id="card-summary-d49d5af8-0fb3-11ee-be81-076f69a2fa5e"></article>

They have five defensive tackles – most teams keep four.

And they have five safeties – most teams keep four.

Call it smart general managing by Brandon Beane, whose goal during veteran free agency was to create competition, prepare for a rash of injuries and potentially have a few chips to trade in late August.

The question: Which veterans are considered the most vulnerable to be cut?

(We’ll throw in another question: Which players could be considered end-of-preseason trade candidates?)

Nyheim Hines

…snip…

Latavius Murray

…snip…

Shaq Lawson

…snip…

Trent Sherfield

Wait, didn’t the Bills just sign Sherfield in March? Affirmative, but he could be this year’s version of tight end O.J. Howard, who was cut in August.

Hear us out. The best guess is the Bills have spent the summer plotting ways to get tight ends Dawson Knox and Dalton Kincaid on the field together. That, in most cases, puts Kincaid in the slot.
Two more factors – can the Bills use Harty and/or second-year receiver Khalil Shakir inside, too? That would impact Sherfield’s status.

Dean Marlowe

…snip…

Brandon Shell

More...

ParanoidAndroid
07-11-2023, 05:57 PM
Click bait.

So is the free lance writer's photo.

Cali512
07-11-2023, 06:08 PM
Emily Bicks' Linkedin profile tells all (https://www.linkedin.com/in/emily-bicks-2b277498/)…

She is cute, which counts for something....

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/C5603AQG6MYjcgCRyAQ/profile-displayphoto-shrink_200_200/0/1532390977213?e=1694649600&v=beta&t=Etxk6UzKAShsjNjx-Hj_X0LU6WbZSfPak64xTwv9LJI

Concentrating on “entertainment” writing seems to be her main experience. LA California girl, who I suspect has never been close to Buffalo.

This is what the internet age has produced. “Writers” that read other’s REAL reporting and write about it.

In the article that was presented, she is just regurgitating what real sports reporters wrote….the one’s that are on the ground, in BUFFALO, doing the hard work visiting the team and talking to Bills professionals.

The idea of Sherfield being a possible training camp cut did NOT come from her own mind or reporting.

It was from the Buffalo News beat reporter, Ryan O’Halloran (who she duly cites…good job) that was published yesterday and I already read because I subscribe to the Buffalo News.

It includes several speculations of what “vets” might be vulnerable. A fairly typical kind of reporting during the dog days of the NFL off season in between the glorified photo-op AKA: Mini Camp and training camp.

It is one of the Buffalo News 10 part (this was the final article) series of questions “previewing Buffalo Bills training camp”

Here is the article with the sections about Sherfield highlighted…..

Bills training camp questions: Which experienced players are vulnerable to being cut? (https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-training-camp-roster-cuts/article_b4a1aa54-1b3b-11ee-bb24-2715c8857f8f.html)

Disgusting

notacon
07-11-2023, 07:32 PM
Disgusting

Why???

It’s all 100% accurate and public information that she herself posted.

You do know how LinkedIn works don’t you???

In today’s internet world anyone can say they are a “writer”, live in LA and work in LA since getting out of college mostly writing about entertainment but pose as a Bills reporter.

Ryan O’Halloran is a real beat reporter for a real publication that works and lives in BUFFALO covering the Buffalo Bills (and other Buffalo sports)....not taking other people’s reporting, repackaging it and making a few bucks on sites like Heavy.

Forward_Lateral
07-11-2023, 07:58 PM
What a garbage article from a garbage site.

I expect better from you Swiper

swiper
07-12-2023, 05:11 AM
What a garbage article from a garbage site.

I expect better from you Swiper

Hey. I saw it, so I posted it. Nowhere did I say I agreed with it. I didn't know enough about the player, so I figured if I posted it, you guys would educate me. I was looking for your opinion. It appears I got it. We all know that camp sorts things out. Beane and McDermott have both been true to that end point.

swiper
07-12-2023, 05:16 AM
The only thing I will say, is I thought that OJ Howard could have been a useful tool. I guess the Bills didn't think so. I still mostly trust the process and the decision-makers. How can you not after all the Jaurons, Rex Ryans, Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkeys that failed for 20 years before these guys. I'm a pretty happy Bills fan these days. How can you not be? The Bills haven't won the Super Bowl, but we get compelling football games every week with a real chance to get there.

YardRat
07-12-2023, 05:32 AM
I was surprised Howard got cut last season.

jamze132
07-12-2023, 06:40 AM
Heavy’s stuff is complete clickbait crap. It used to always appear in my news feed until I fixed that glitch.

Skooby
07-12-2023, 09:47 AM
This bag doesn’t know S.

Forward_Lateral
07-12-2023, 10:55 AM
OJ Howard sucks. He had 10 catches for 145 yards last year.

notacon
07-12-2023, 12:10 PM
I was surprised Howard got cut last season.

I think the Bills were surprised they had to cut him too.

They signed him with guaranteed money. Goes to show that the Bills are serious when it comes to putting the best players on the field. Guaranteed contract or not.

Every report was that he was simply outplayed by both Quintin Morris and Tommy Sweeney.

As for Trent Sherfield, there is little to suspect that he will be cut this year.

Whoever wrote the headline to that awful hearsay “article” from the ‘in-over-her-head’ Emily Bucks, should be ashamed.

There was NO indication that Sherfield is “projected as surprise cut”.

Words mean something, and her taking a fairly typical pre-training camp musings from Ryan O’Halloran and dishonestly twisting his opinion into he “predicts the team’s goal of using a ’12’ personal (one RB, 2 TE & 2 WR’s) will make Sherfield, 27, the odd man out” is irresponsible and not good faith journalism.

Ryan does not say that at all.

In fact, Ryan DOES mention a “surplus of NFL experience at tailback, defensive end, defensive tackle and safety...” but NOT WR.

Anyone who knows anything about the Bills and their usual roster spots for WR understands that they usually carry SIX. It’s a pretty safe bet that Sherfield will be one of the six, as unless something freaky happens (injury...signing Hopkins) the six will be:

Diggs
Davis
Shakir
Harty
Sherfield
Shorter

If any WR is on the bubble, it’s shorter, not a proven reliable WR vet like Sherfield.

Ryan may have been stretching it a bit by including Sherfield in his musings, but Ms. Bucks simply ‘jumped the shark’ and showed that she is woefully out of her depth.

I don’t blame swiper for posting it. The click-bait (and dishonest) headline accomplished what sites like Heavy set out to do. Get attention and clicks.

swiper
07-14-2023, 05:21 PM
Words mean something

Not yours.

notacon
07-15-2023, 12:49 PM
Not yours.

:rofl: YOU were the one who was suckered by a false headline and click bait.

So snookered that you decided to start thread with the silly article from a fake sports writer.

swiper
07-15-2023, 08:21 PM
:rofl: YOU were the one who was suckered by a false headline and click bait.

So snookered that you decided to start thread with the silly article from a fake sports writer.

LOL. If you say so, Einstein. I just posted the article. I made no comment on it. So FOAD, you loser in life. You're a loathsome human being.

Your fake sports writer based her entire story on your gay lover, Joe B.

notacon
07-16-2023, 11:31 AM
LOL. If you say so, Einstein. I just posted the article. I made no comment on it. So FOAD, you loser in life. You're a loathsome human being.

Your fake sports writer based her entire story on your gay lover, Joe B.

Actually, that is false. The writer...and she’s not mine...you were the one who was suckered by a false headline, and you posting the lame article ....was NOT "based her entire story” on Joe B.’s astute reporting.

It was based on, and misrepresented a story from Buffalo News beat reporter, Ryan O’Halloran. I even posted a link to the story (https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-training-camp-roster-cuts/article_b4a1aa54-1b3b-11ee-bb24-2715c8857f8f.html).

The part of Ms. Bicks story that was attributed to Joe Buscaglia’s reporting was this....

The connection between Allen and Sherfield only continued to grow. The Athletic (https://theathletic.com/4611134/2023/06/14/buffalo-bills-minicamp-stefon-diggs/)‘s Joe Buscaglia reported in mid-June, “As has been the case throughout the offseason workouts, without Diggs available to team drills, newly signed receiver Trent Sherfield has stepped up and been a favorite of Allen’s.”

NO mention (in Ms. Bicks citing OR the actual Athletic reporting of Joe Buscaglia that she linked to) of the subject of the off-base missive that “Bills QB Josh Allen’s New ‘Favorite’ WR Projected as Surprise Cut” the misleading headline that snookered you into the click bait.

Plus, saying that Joe B is my “gay lover” meant to be an insult is rather bigoted and homophobic. That’s really sick stuff.

notacon
07-16-2023, 11:44 AM
BTW....this is exactly what Joe Buscaglia wrote that Ms. Bicks linked to in his reporting on June 14th, 2023 of the Bills minicamp...

Bills minicamp notes: Stefon Diggs’ first day, Josh Allen dials in, no Dawson Knox (https://theathletic.com/4611134/2023/06/14/buffalo-bills-minicamp-stefon-diggs/)

Sherfield connecting with Allen once again

As has been the case throughout the offseason workouts, without Diggs available to team drills, newly signed receiver Trent Sherfield (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/trent-sherfield-Y4vxTiWypP0cpuZ2/) has stepped up and been a favorite of Allen’s. Of Allen’s 12 attempts that weren’t clear throwaways, he targeted Sherfield four times for three completions. On his first target, Sherfield went into his break and came out of it with ample separation from the defender for an easy catch. The two connected on the second target on a fired-in pass over the middle of the field that gave Sherfield room to roam after the catch. Sherfield was also the open target and the recipient of the “absolute dart” throw toward the sideline. The only ball Sherfield didn’t bring down was on a pass deep down the field that needed a pass breakup from a defender.

It’s always a good rule of thumb not to go overboard with performances from May and June workouts, but of the players vying to be the third receiver behind the starters, Diggs and Gabe Davis, Sherfield has stood out the most this spring. That’s not to slight Shakir and Deonte Harty (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/deonte-harty-ukF8L13ujWc3h2Oh/), as they’ve also made some good plays this spring, but Sherfield has consistently stood out during open practices. Along the way, he’s impressed Allen with his work ethic and clear ability to get open as a dependable target in a practice setting. Sherfield seems to have the skill set to play multiple positions within the Bills offense, perhaps even as the understudy to both Diggs and Davis. The next task for Sherfield is to show that his excellent spring can translate into training camp when the pads go on and the defenders are allowed to get much more physical with skill players

Excellent reporting from a professional beat writer who was actually PRESENT at the Bills minicamp making astute observations and insightful analysis with first hand knowledge of what is going on instead of reading what others write (mangling it to produce click bait) from California.

Hmmmmmm…..maybe if one is interested in accurate, insightful and good reporting about the Buffalo Bills, going to the source of professional beat reporters that actually are IN Buffalo, attending minicamp (and soon, training camp) like Joe Buscaglia and Ryan O’Halloran instead of some poser in CA provides more intelligent information.