• Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

HEAVY: Bills QB Josh Allen’s New ‘Favorite’ WR Projected as Surprise Cut

Bills QB Josh Allen’s New ‘Favorite’ WR Projected as Surprise Cut

Originally posted by Heavy.com
    There will be several position battles when the Buffalo Bills training camp kicks off later this month, and of the biggest question marks is which wide receiver will take over in the slot.

With Stefon Diggs’ as quarterback Josh Allen‘s No. 1 receiver, and Gabe Davis as his backup, the Bills will choose between Deonte Harty, Trent Sherfield, and Khalil Shakir for WR3. The X-factor to this competition is pass-catching tight end Dalton Kincaid, the Bills’ first-round pick from the 2023 NFL Draft, who may also take snaps in the slot.

The Buffalo News‘ analyst Ryan O’Halloran predicts the team’s goal of using a ’12’ personnel (one running back, two tight ends, two receivers) will make Sherfield, 27, the odd man out, which would be a surprising development.

Amid Diggs’ absence from voluntary OTAs, Allen praised the former Dolphins receiver, who signed a one-year, who signed a $1.77 million contract with Buffalo this offseason.

The connection between Allen and Sherfield only continued to grow. The Athletic‘s Joe Buscaglia reported in mid-June, “As has been the case throughout the offseason workouts, without Diggs available to team drills, newly signed receiver Trent Sherfield has stepped up and been a favorite of Allen’s.”

O’Halloran acknowledges Sherfield’s release seems off base. “Wait, didn’t the Bills just sign Sherfield in March? Affirmative, but he could be this year’s version of tight end O.J. Howard, who was cut in August. Hear us out. The best guess is the Bills have spent the summer plotting ways to get tight ends Dawson Knox and Kincaid on the field together. That, in most cases, puts Kincaid in the slot,” O’Halloran wrote.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: HEAVY: Bills QB Josh Allen’s New ‘Favorite’ WR Projected as Surprise Cut

Who is Emily Bicks ??? LOL
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• notacon
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
      Who is Emily Bicks ??? LOL
      Emily Bicks' Linkedin profile tells all

Experienced LA based Freelance Writer with a demonstrated history of working in the sports and entertainment industry. Skilled in Live Reporting, Interviews, Feature Articles, Storytelling, Movies, TV, Travel, Celebrity Profiles and Breaking News. Strong media and communications professional with a Bachelor's degree focused in Journalism from New York University.

Editor
      Heavy Sports · Full-time Heavy Sports · Full-time Feb 2019 - Present · 4 yrs 6 mos Los Angeles Area
      Breaking news, entertainment, sports and politics. Breaking news, entertainment, sports and politics.

Content Writer
      Roche Nov 2018 - Nov 2019 · 1 yr 1 mo
      Turns presentations from world-renowned scientists into easily digestible articles and essays.

Freelance Journalist
      Eaze May 2018 - May 2019 · 1 yr 1 mo
      Greater Los Angeles Area

Freelance Writer
      New York ObserverMar 2015 - Jan 2019 · 3 yrs 11

Traveled on set visits to Kenya, Prague, Spain, Vancouver, New York, Atlanta, Austin, and Alabama. Interviewed and profiled famous actors, directors, producers, musicians, astronauts, and military elite. Traveled on set visits to Kenya, Prague, Spain, Vancouver, New York, Atlanta, Austin, and Alabama. Interviewed and profiled famous actors, directors, producers, musicians, astronauts, and military elite.

TV Writer
      Refinery29, Inc. Jan 2017 - Jan 2018 · 1 yr 1
      Greater Los Angeles Area

Freelance Writer
      Variety May 2016 - Jun 2017 · 1 yr 2 m
      Greater Los Angeles Area

Freelance Writer
      People's Choice Sep 2016 - Apr 2017 · 8 m
      Greater Los Angeles Area

Freelance Writer
      Tribune Media Oct 2015 - Apr 2017 · 1 yr 7 mo
      Greater Los Angeles Area

TV critic, op-eds, think pieces, on camera reporting, red carpet, interviews and event coverage.TV critic, op-eds, think pieces, on camera reporting, red carpet, interviews and event coverage.
      Freelance Writer

HitFix Jun 2015 - Sep 2015 · 4 mo remote

Story Producer
      Fly on the Wall Productions 2013 · Less than a year 2013

Created narrative for Season One of "Relative Insanity"
      She is cute, which counts for something....

Concentrating on “entertainment” writing seems to be her main experience. LA California girl, who I suspect has never been close to Buffalo.

This is what the internet age has produced. “Writers” that read other’s REAL reporting and write about it.

In the article that was presented, she is just regurgitating what real sports reporters wrote….the one’s that are on the ground, in BUFFALO, doing the hard work visiting the team and talking to Bills professionals.

The idea of Sherfield being a possible training camp cut did NOT come from her own mind or reporting.

It was from the Buffalo News beat reporter, Ryan O’Halloran (who she duly cites…good job) that was published yesterday and I already read because I subscribe to the Buffalo News.

It includes several speculations of what “vets” might be vulnerable. A fairly typical kind of reporting during the dog days of the NFL off season in between the glorified photo-op AKA: Mini Camp and training camp.

It is one of the Buffalo News 10 part (this was the final article) series of questions “previewing Buffalo Bills training camp”

Here is the article with the sections about Sherfield highlighted…..

Bills training camp questions: Which experienced players are vulnerable to being cut?

The Buffalo Bills will have the same kind of good numbers issue entering training camp as they did exiting last month’s offseason program.

They have a surplus of NFL experience at tailback, defensive end, defensive tackle and safety … and not enough room on the initial 53-man roster.

The Bills have four tailbacks – most teams keep three.

They have seven defensive ends – most teams keep six.

A total of 25 tight ends were drafted in the first round from 2000 to 2022, and 23 of them played at least 10 games as rookies. Just six caught 40 or more passes. Seven more caught at least 30 passes.

They have five defensive tackles – most teams keep four.

And they have five safeties – most teams keep four.

Call it smart general managing by Brandon Beane, whose goal during veteran free agency was to create competition, prepare for a rash of injuries and potentially have a few chips to trade in late August.

The question: Which veterans are considered the most vulnerable to be cut?

(We’ll throw in another question: Which players could be considered end-of-preseason trade candidates?)

Nyheim Hines

…snip…

Latavius Murray

…snip…

Shaq Lawson

…snip…

Trent Sherfield

Wait, didn’t the Bills just sign Sherfield in March? Affirmative, but he could be this year’s version of tight end O.J. Howard, who was cut in August.

Hear us out. The best guess is the Bills have spent the summer plotting ways to get tight ends Dawson Knox and Dalton Kincaid on the field together. That, in most cases, puts Kincaid in the slot.
      Two more factors – can the Bills use Harty and/or second-year receiver Khalil Shakir inside, too? That would impact Sherfield’s status.

Dean Marlowe

…snip…

Brandon Shell

More...

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
        • Apr 2004

Click bait.

So is the free lance writer's photo.

Comment

• Cali512
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by notacon View Post
          Emily Bicks' Linkedin profile tells all

She is cute, which counts for something....

Concentrating on “entertainment” writing seems to be her main experience. LA California girl, who I suspect has never been close to Buffalo.

This is what the internet age has produced. “Writers” that read other’s REAL reporting and write about it.

In the article that was presented, she is just regurgitating what real sports reporters wrote….the one’s that are on the ground, in BUFFALO, doing the hard work visiting the team and talking to Bills professionals.

The idea of Sherfield being a possible training camp cut did NOT come from her own mind or reporting.

It was from the Buffalo News beat reporter, Ryan O’Halloran (who she duly cites…good job) that was published yesterday and I already read because I subscribe to the Buffalo News.

It includes several speculations of what “vets” might be vulnerable. A fairly typical kind of reporting during the dog days of the NFL off season in between the glorified photo-op AKA: Mini Camp and training camp.

It is one of the Buffalo News 10 part (this was the final article) series of questions “previewing Buffalo Bills training camp”

Here is the article with the sections about Sherfield highlighted…..

Bills training camp questions: Which experienced players are vulnerable to being cut?
          Disgusting
          Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• notacon
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
            Disgusting
            Why???

It’s all 100% accurate and public information that she herself posted.

You do know how LinkedIn works don’t you???

In today’s internet world anyone can say they are a “writer”, live in LA and work in LA since getting out of college mostly writing about entertainment but pose as a Bills reporter.

Ryan O’Halloran is a real beat reporter for a real publication that works and lives in BUFFALO covering the Buffalo Bills (and other Buffalo sports)....not taking other people’s reporting, repackaging it and making a few bucks on sites like Heavy.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

What a garbage article from a garbage site.

I expect better from you Swiper

Comment

• swiper
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                What a garbage article from a garbage site.

I expect better from you Swiper
                Hey. I saw it, so I posted it. Nowhere did I say I agreed with it. I didn't know enough about the player, so I figured if I posted it, you guys would educate me. I was looking for your opinion. It appears I got it. We all know that camp sorts things out. Beane and McDermott have both been true to that end point.
                Last edited by swiper; 07-12-2023, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• swiper
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2010

The only thing I will say, is I thought that OJ Howard could have been a useful tool. I guess the Bills didn't think so. I still mostly trust the process and the decision-makers. How can you not after all the Jaurons, Rex Ryans, Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkeys that failed for 20 years before these guys. I'm a pretty happy Bills fan these days. How can you not be? The Bills haven't won the Super Bowl, but we get compelling football games every week with a real chance to get there.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

I was surprised Howard got cut last season.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

Heavy’s stuff is complete clickbait crap. It used to always appear in my news feed until I fixed that glitch.

Comment

• Skooby
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

This bag doesn’t know S.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                          • Mar 2004

OJ Howard sucks. He had 10 catches for 145 yards last year.

Comment

• notacon
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            I was surprised Howard got cut last season.
                            I think the Bills were surprised they had to cut him too.

They signed him with guaranteed money. Goes to show that the Bills are serious when it comes to putting the best players on the field. Guaranteed contract or not.

Every report was that he was simply outplayed by both Quintin Morris and Tommy Sweeney.

As for Trent Sherfield, there is little to suspect that he will be cut this year.

Whoever wrote the headline to that awful hearsay “article” from the ‘in-over-her-head’ Emily Bucks, should be ashamed.

There was NO indication that Sherfield is “projected as surprise cut”.

Words mean something, and her taking a fairly typical pre-training camp musings from Ryan O’Halloran and dishonestly twisting his opinion into he “predicts the team’s goal of using a ’12’ personal (one RB, 2 TE & 2 WR’s) will make Sherfield, 27, the odd man out” is irresponsible and not good faith journalism.

Ryan does not say that at all.

In fact, Ryan DOES mention a “surplus of NFL experience at tailback, defensive end, defensive tackle and safety...” but NOT WR.

Anyone who knows anything about the Bills and their usual roster spots for WR understands that they usually carry SIX. It’s a pretty safe bet that Sherfield will be one of the six, as unless something freaky happens (injury...signing Hopkins) the six will be:

Diggs
                            Davis
                            Shakir
                            Harty
                            Sherfield
                            Shorter

If any WR is on the bubble, it’s shorter, not a proven reliable WR vet like Sherfield.

Ryan may have been stretching it a bit by including Sherfield in his musings, but Ms. Bucks simply ‘jumped the shark’ and showed that she is woefully out of her depth.

I don’t blame swiper for posting it. The click-bait (and dishonest) headline accomplished what sites like Heavy set out to do. Get attention and clicks.

Comment

• swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                              Words mean something
                              Not yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X