Would you mortgage the future for a Superbowl win now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pkschul
    • Nov 2019

Would you mortgage the future for a Superbowl win now?

Similar to what the Rams did their year... I'm seeing rumors about the Bills being a possible trading partner for Cooper Kupp.
    Would he be enough to put the Bills over the top? Does taking a shot like this make sense, or does slow and steady level-headed economics work better than a gamble?
    Personally I would love to see a big splash like this, but may regret it down the line.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Would you mortgage the future for a Superbowl win now?

They traded for Diggs.

Every year, the cap dictates a big roster redo outside of the 6-10 core players. Look at all the 1-2 year deals in the NFL.

The question is, is Kupp healthy ? Where is the cap space ?

There has been a lot of over the top rumors this year, looking for internet traffic at best.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

The Rams literally just restructured Kupp. If they trade him they'll have about a 20m cap hit. Not seeing it.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

I feel that was last year when they got Miller. At the time everyone thought the Bills had virtually no weakness.

But it was lesson: Hyde went down almost right at the start. White did not really get back in form. Poyer is showing her age for being hurt most of the season. Davis didn't take a big step as expected based on that Chiefs playoff game. Brown didn't progress as they expected. Safford was a flop signing. Then Miller went down. And the incident of Hamlin.

You just don't know. To put all chips into the middle.

This year, no flash signings. Big question mark on Miller being back to form, question mark on Davis, Still question on Brown, big void of MLB. No wonder they are no longer the darling of the analysts, BUT, again, you don't know. Just like no one sees KC would win it all when they traded away in what maybe considered the best WR in the league.

Comment

• mightysimi
          Buckle me in on the highway of sin
          • Mar 2010

Yes. If it could be guaranteed, I would watch Josh play with 10 guys from this message board if we could get one Lombardi.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
            Yes. If it could be guaranteed, I would watch Josh play with 10 guys from this message board if we could get one Lombardi.
            That’s the problem though. Nothing is guaranteed. If we knew we could get a title by making moves that would put us in cap jail for the next 3 years, I’d take it 100%.

But say we had gone all in on Hopkins, or do it for Cupp, and then Allen gets hurt in the first game and we end up winning 5 games all season? It would be mortgaging the future for nothing.

We know how hard it is to find a QB. I think the smarter play is to keep as much talent as possible around Josh for as long as possible. Give him the most amount of chances rather than trying to go all in.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mightysimi
              Buckle me in on the highway of sin
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              That’s the problem though. Nothing is guaranteed. If we knew we could get a title by making moves that would put us in cap jail for the next 3 years, I’d take it 100%.

But say we had gone all in on Hopkins, or do it for Cupp, and then Allen gets hurt in the first game and we end up winning 5 games all season? It would be mortgaging the future for nothing.

We know how hard it is to find a QB. I think the smarter play is to keep as much talent as possible around Josh for as long as possible. Give him the most amount of chances rather than trying to go all in.
              Right that is definitely the smart play which is why I caveated it with if it could be guaranteed. It can't so don't do it.

Comment

• Skooby
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Cupp would make the Bills the champions health willing, it’s just at what cost is the debate. The Rams tanking this season for a QB sets them up.

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

Nothing a team can do will guarantee a Super Bowl win. Therefore, for me, the answer is "no." I don't want to have to enter into a total rebuild because my attempt to go for it failed.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• notacon
                    • Aug 2012

NOPE!!!!

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                      • Aug 2004

What KC did last year is the way to go. In fact it is very similar to what the Patriots did when they had Brady. You lock the franchise QB. You pay HOF guy for positions that age well, like Kelce at TE. You don't give out big bucks to aging guys who are good but not HOF guys. Now hope you draft well enough that some of the young guys step up to push you over the top.

The Bills have Allen and locked up. But they paid big bucks to a lot of solid players who are now about to go the other direction in their career. Dawkins is 29. Hyde and Poyer are 32. Morse is 31. Milano and White are 28. Diggs is 29. These are your core of core players. After this year, more than likely, you are looking to replace them from draft (which may produce one player of the calibre a year) because of the cap issue.

The one thing the Chiefs and Patriots had over the Bills is that they won a championship in the very beginning of Mahomes and Brady's career, which really took the pressure off the management so they can be patient. For the Bills, I feel everyone from Beane, McDermott, Allen down gets the pressure to win one soon. Unfortunately often the harder you try, the more likely you get disappointed.

Comment

• GreedoII
                        • Aug 2007

give me one and I'll just rewatch it for the rest of my life......

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Skooby View Post
                          Cupp would make the Bills the champions health willing, it’s just at what cost is the debate. The Rams tanking this season for a QB sets them up.
                          Yeah, because he's going to provide much better coverage on the Kelce's and Hill's of the NFL world.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Chet
                            Allenhu Joshbar
                            • Feb 2017

Just give me one ring. Don’t care if it’s followed by an even longer drought. I just want a moment in the sun

Comment

• pkschul
                              • Nov 2019

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              Yeah, because he's going to provide much better coverage on the Kelce's and Hill's of the NFL world.
                              You don't stop KC. You try to outpace KC.

Comment

Working...
                              X