X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • notacon
    • Aug 2012

McDermott is Tempting History by Calling Defensive Plays

In today’s Buffalo News training camp preview, Ryan O’Halloran wrote about this interesting and important bit of Super Bowl history….

'It will be different': Bills' Sean McDermott on the spot as defensive play-caller

On the macro scale, McDermott will be trying to buck two trends.

One, McDermott is one of only five head coaches who will call his team's defensive plays, joining Staley, Todd Bowles (Tampa Bay), Dennis Allen (New Orleans) and likely DeMeco Ryans (Houston). By comparison, 14 head coaches will call offensive plays.

And the big one. Among the 35 coaches who have won at least one Super Bowl title, it is possible none has also served as his team's defensive play-caller.

The Buffalo News researched the coaching staffs of each championship team, and since Super Bowl 12, every winning team's defense has been called by a coordinator or high-level assistant coach. The only unknown play-calling setups are the Baltimore Colts (Super Bowl 5) and Oakland Raiders (Super Bowl 11).
    Is McDermott going to be the anomaly???

Time will tell.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: McDermott is Tempting History by Calling Defensive Plays

They are going to have to buck historical trends on more than just that front if they want to win championship.

Peyton Manning is the only QB this century to win a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him, that didn't at least take his team to one in his first three years starting (or, on his rookie contract).

No head coach since John Madden (or anybody that started their head coaching career in the Super Bowl era) has won a Super Bowl with a team without at least getting to one in their first six seasons as their coach.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

McDermott will be bucking his own trends if he develops a more aggressive defense that is more concerned with disrupting everything when they are on the field than getting burned for a TD. Our roster is good. **** all the coach bull**** get the hell out of the way and let our guys play some football. That is what McDermott is charged with and we will know what we have by week three.

I'm still not convinced he will be calling the defense on opening day -- mostly because they are full of ****.

Comment

• Gibby 2.0
        The things I get you to say
        • Oct 2019

To be sure, I think this team takes a step back this year. I think they still make the playoffs and I do think McD's job is safe for the long term, but they are clearly in the midst of a retooling and so i think their plan is to tread water this year, build up the OL and get some talent on rookie contracts in the next year or so and then make a run in 2025 and 2026 for the new stadium.
        Insert whimsical line here

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Gibby 2.0 View Post
          To be sure, I think this team takes a step back this year. I think they still make the playoffs and I do think McD's job is safe for the long term, but they are clearly in the midst of a retooling and so i think their plan is to tread water this year, build up the OL and get some talent on rookie contracts in the next year or so and then make a run in 2025 and 2026 for the new stadium.
          Just imho...they can't afford to tread water ..not at all. Their core is taking punishment and they're one Allen injury from being toast. This should be their prime...if it's not...it won't happen.

Comment

• Buffalogic
            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Gibby 2.0 View Post
            This is an absurd post. A 13-3 team doesn’t go into the following season trying to tread water with an all world qb. I mean come on. Anything short of a Super Bowl victory is a failed season. The time for slow progressive steps is over. They need to leap to a championship.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

I'm not worried about the defense as long as they build a solid wall around Josh. Let them score 30 per game as long as we score 50.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

Are there really alot of "plays" to be called on defense?

Seriously.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

I hope he's more creative than Frazier.

Comment

• notacon
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                    I hope he's more creative than Frazier.
                    Except it was McDermott’s defense 100%. By all accounts from very well informed sports writers (beat writers) McD was deeply involved with everything about the defense.

The idea that he did not strongly affect Frazier’s play calling is fooling themselves. Defensive play calling was not done in a Frazier vacuum.

That is largely why McD decided to take over play calling after Frazier decided to take a year off from coaching.

Basically, he is simply maintaining what was already happening....McDermott’s defense and McDermott’s defensive strategy and McDermott’s virtual play calling.

Comment

• notacon
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                      I'm not worried about the defense as long as they build a solid wall around Josh. Let them score 30 per game as long as we score 50.
                      +1

It was the offense underperforming that ****ed up 2023.

Dorsey is the one with everything to prove as he was exposed as the season went on and did not come close to adjusting....despite having one of the best QB’s in the NFL and despite hardly having ANY injuries on offense.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                        +1

It was the offense underperforming that ****ed up 2023.

Dorsey is the one with everything to prove as he was exposed as the season went on and did not come close to adjusting....despite having one of the best QB’s in the NFL and despite hardly having ANY injuries on offense.
                        Both units were better in regular season than playoffs where they folded.

With the fins and jets improving on O , we may now have to play in a shoutout every regular game in the AFCE
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Bill Cody
                          • Sep 2004

If the O line takes a step forward this year so will the team. Just that simple. The pieces are all there.

Comment

• Oaf
                            Do you read what you write?
                            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                            If the O line takes a step forward this year so will the team. Just that simple. The pieces are all there.

Right, which makes the lack of push at RT that much more concerning. Is Connor McG "HIM" at guard, as well?

Comment

• notacon
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                              Both units were better in regular season than playoffs where they folded.

With the fins and jets improving on O , we may now have to play in a shoutout every regular game in the AFCE
                              The biggest regular season disappointment last year was the offense underperforming in the regular season which cost the Bills a first round bye.

Yeah....I’m looking at the Miami and Minny game where the offense snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Comment

Working...
                              X