• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Nyheim Hines, Bills at odds

Hines capped the 2022 regular season by returning two kickoffs for touchdowns against the Patriots in the first Bills game played following Damar Hamlin’s on-field cardiac arrest.

Hines’s agent, Ed Wasielewski, posted this observation on Twitter earlier today: Adversity reveals character. Everyone has a choice to treat others with respect and dignity. It’s revealing when an employee is injured to see how a company takes care of its own. I will continue to believe that people will do the right thing when bad things happen to their own.”

It does not take a genius (which qualifies me to make the assessment) to conclude that Wasielewski is referring to Hines. Per multiple sources, the Bills and Hines are indeed at odds over the situation.

Nyheim Hines, Bills at odds over financial consequences of his non-football injury - NBC Sports

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: Nyheim Hines, Bills at odds

Because Hines suffered a non-football injury, his salary of $2.56 million gets wiped away, without question. Things get sticky on the question of whether and to what extent Hines owes money back to the Bills.

Earlier this year, Hines signed a revised contract that replaced the deal he signed with the Colts in 2021. The two-year, $9 million deal included a $1 million signing bonus, a $100,000 workout bonus for 2023, a base salary of $2.56 million for 2023, and $340,000 in per-game roster bonuses.

Hines has received $600,000 of his signing bonus. The Bills, per multiple sources, have proposed withholding the $400,000 installment due later this year, along with the $100,000 workout bonus that Hines earned in the offseason. That would represent reimbursement of half of the signing bonus covering the two-year contract.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• notacon
      • Aug 2012

The Buffalo News published this right after Hines injury....

In wake of Nyheim Hines injury, here's what 'standard' NFL contracts say about banned off-field activities

According to NFL Network, Hines was "stationary on a jet ski" when struck by another person's jet ski, sustaining a torn left ACL that will cost him the 2023 season.

Because the injury is considered "non-football," the Bills could pursue a course to void the remaining two years of his contract, which includes $2.56 million in base salary.

A league source familiar with the writing of contracts told The Buffalo News that it is "very standard" for a player to have certain off-the-field activities prohibited, and risk having the deal voided if he participates in those activities.

On Page 2 of Bills defensive tackle Ed Oliver's contract, signed last month, a paragraph bans activities that "involve a significant risk of person injury and are non-football in nature."

The contract stated those activities "shall include, but shall not be limited to skydiving, hang-gliding, mountain climbing, racing of any kind, use of motorcycles, use of any off-road vehicle, firearms, scuba diving and snow or water skiing."

Those activities would find the player in "breach" of his contract.

The contract stated those activities "shall include, but shall not be limited to skydiving, hang-gliding, mountain climbing, racing of any kind, use of motorcycles, use of any off-road vehicle, firearms, scuba diving and snow or water skiing."

Those activities would find the player in "breach" of his contract.

….snip….

If the Bills want to push the issue, they could void Hines' $2.56 million base salary and create immediate salary cap space. Hines would almost assuredly respond by filing a grievance.
      There is no mention if Hines’ contact restricts off season activities in the Buffalo News. The NBC Sports story does mention “His signing bonus addendum does not expressly identify jet skiing as a prohibited activity. Moreover, the collision happened while Hines was sitting on a jet ski that was at the dock and not moving.”

Seems like some fine legal parsing. Which is why contracts are so dense to non-lawyers.

The basis for the NBC Sports story is all from Hines’ agent....doing his job and representing his client. On the surface this does seem a little petty bean counting from the Bills.

Time will tell.

Comment

• Woodman
        Legendary Zoner
        • Apr 2014

We need to straighten this out right away.

Comment

• Turf
          • Jul 2002

They may have cut him anyways. Special teams are going away with the new rule changes anyways. We could use the cap space. It's a no brainer for me.
          Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• sukie
            Seriously?
            • Sep 2012

Unless contract is deemed voided, cutting him opens up only 1.5 mil if I remember correctly

Comment

• notacon
              • Aug 2012

I don’t expect the Bills to screw Hines. It’s just not in the culture of the organization.

I suspect that not only will they come to an equitable agreement for both sides for 2023, but Hines will be back in 2024.

Comment

• Woodman
                Legendary Zoner
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                I don’t expect the Bills to screw Hines. It’s just not in the culture of the organization.

I suspect that not only will they come to an equitable agreement for both sides for 2023, but Hines will be back in 2024.
                Damn I hope you are right!

Comment

• Novacane
                  • Jul 2002

How many every day people would get their full pay for a year if they got hurt off the job? Few if any! Athletes shouldn't be any different. Sometimes life happens. It sucks. Feel bad for the guy but the Bills shouldn't have to pay him.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                    • Mar 2004

If it was stated in his contract that he can’t jet ski, he’s a complete idiot for being anywhere near one

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I'll wait to hear from Hines. Pretty sure Beane mentioned something yesterday they were going to take care of him. Maybe an injury settlement with a handshake agreement to come back next year.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Thurmal
                        • Oct 2005

I like Hones and think he was criminally underused last year, so I hope he comes back. That being said, I imagine that the Bills are doing their due diligence to ensure that the jet ski incident happened as he said it did.
                        "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• cas22
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                          If it was stated in his contract that he can’t jet ski, he’s a complete idiot for being anywhere near one
                          I do believe that off road vehicles covers jet skiing...

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Send Lawyers, Guns and $...
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

I'll never understand why these guys take unnecessary risks off the field. Play a decade, earn millions, then do stupid stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X