• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Balls and goats Preseason edition

Balls:

Shakir: I believe he solidified the 3rd receiver spot today. Picked up right where he left off from last year.

Elam: Played well, but needs to maintain that level through the next two weeks.

I believe those two questions were answered.

4th down defense: Two turnovers on downs.

Run game. The Bills added size and muscle, and they looked good.

Barkley: Did a nice job with the scrubs.

Goats:

Rousseau: Lining up offsides? How many years have you been a professional?

The receiver who fumbled after the catch: Wegman's is hiring.

Opie: Overall, the first string defense was sloppy, and undisciplined. Should have hired a coordinator.

The offense looked good minus Allen and Diggs, but this is possibly the worst team in the NFL, so that's not saying much.

Overall grade: C
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Balls and goats Preseason edition

Pre-season

Barkley must be happy with his play. I am.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

Dump Kyle .... you know who I mean.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Defense still looks soft. K.Allen shouldn't assume he's #2.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

I think all the wide receivers looked good.....the Bills are going to have to make some tough decisions on cut-down day.

Some team is going to get rich at our expense.

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

oh he's #2 all right.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              Defense still looks soft. K.Allen shouldn't assume he's #2.
              So does this mean you want ............ to return as D.C.?

Comment

• cookie G
                • Mar 2003

Kincaid didn't catch a single pass...time for the practice squad. Seriously though, when Kyle Allen looked down his terrible slant pass, Kincaid looked wide open down the seam.

Boogie and Settle looked fantastic... against thje 2nd teamers. Settle has been a real disappointment for me.

Torrance looked very solid in pass pro, very good on run blocking. He played the entire first half. They had Bates subbing in for Morse after the first series.

Cook still looks very fast. I think Murray might be the no.2 back.

Kyle Allen looked lost. Little pocket presence, happy feet. Barkley is pretty limited, esp. in arm strength, but he was playing within himself, and getting the ball out more quickly and accurately.

Ray showed speed off the edge, I thought. Keep him around, there are times he might be needed.

Reserve tackle VanDemark actually looked good at LT, not so much on the right. He played pretty well overall but got beat cleanly a few times on the right.

Comment

• sukie
                  Seriously?
                  • Sep 2012

Murray is big… nice for short yardage and def change of pace. I hope we see Harris soon.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                    • Jul 2005

I’m putting Dorian Williams in the Balls category. Led the team in tackles and seemed to pop when he was in there
                    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Cali512
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
                      I’m putting Dorian Williams in the Balls category. Led the team in tackles and seemed to pop when he was in there

He played pretty bad aside from the goaline stop

When watching the preseason, you need to focus on one player at a time. For me, i focussed on MLB, and Torrence

Torrence was AMAZING. He was a wall all game and did a great great job at passing up his defender to help the outside when his man was out of the play

Williams was out of position a lot. Dodson was pushed around the whole game, and i didnt see Spector much at all

Sadly, Klein was our best LB the whole game, which shouldnt be to suprising. Hes our defenses Matt Barkley
                      Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                        • Apr 2004

I'm not a big Settle fan but the way he shoved Nelson into the gap made that 4th down stop.

Howard looks like a dark horse to make this team. His goal line stop on the XP was great.

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                          Balls:

Shakir: I believe he solidified the 3rd receiver spot today. Picked up right where he left off from last year.

Elam: Played well, but needs to maintain that level through the next two weeks.

I believe those two questions were answered.

4th down defense: Two turnovers on downs.

Run game. The Bills added size and muscle, and they looked good.

Barkley: Did a nice job with the scrubs.

Goats:

Rousseau: Lining up offsides? How many years have you been a professional?

The receiver who fumbled after the catch: Wegman's is hiring.

Opie: Overall, the first string defense was sloppy, and undisciplined. Should have hired a coordinator.

The offense looked good minus Allen and Diggs, but this is possibly the worst team in the NFL, so that's not saying much.

Overall grade: C
                          I think the receiver who fumbled after a reception was actually tight end Jace Sternberger.

I agree on the run game and Kaiir Elam, though Dane Jackson also played will with his limited snaps. Also agree on the 4th down defense and Matt Barkley. Shakir had a couple nice receptions, but he also had a drive stopping drop.

I would add Keesean Johnson on the "balls" list. He's a scrub who won't make the team, but he showed some heart.
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• notacon
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                            Pre-season

Barkley must be happy with his play. I am.
                            Well....only if he gets to play against 3rd stringers. His weak arm had him completing passes that against 1st team defenses would be broken up or intercepted.

I like Barkley but if yesterday points to anything, (with Kyle Allen’s weak performance....maybe it was inexperience in the offensive system) the Bills may be looking outside to upgrade the position.

I also think that the way Sherfield was used (in being pulled pretty quickly) is a sign that he has a strong hold (so far) in the #3 WR spot. Harty may have moved up past Shakir too....time will tell.

With Bernard hurt, it puts a wrench into the MLB competition. Dodson was always going to be the one McD looked for first because he values experience and not giving young players too much playing time too quickly.

I believe that Dodson will be the nominal “starter” at the start of the season, with Bernard getting plenty of playing time....hopefully developing into a reliable starter. Williams looked fast and aggressive and is probably solid as Milano's backup, but can and will be used to backup Dodson and Bernard.

The odd man out seems to be Spector. By all reports, he has not been even sniffing 1st team snaps in training camp and him not getting into the game until the 2nd half with and against 3rd stringers is interesting.

Comment

• Cali512
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                              Well....only if he gets to play against 3rd stringers. His weak arm had him completing passes that against 1st team defenses would be broken up or intercepted.

I like Barkley but if yesterday points to anything, (with Kyle Allen’s weak performance....maybe it was inexperience in the offensive system) the Bills may be looking outside to upgrade the position.

I also think that the way Sherfield was used (in being pulled pretty quickly) is a sign that he has a strong hold (so far) in the #3 WR spot. Harty may have moved up past Shakir too....time will tell.

With Bernard hurt, it puts a wrench into the MLB competition. Dodson was always going to be the one McD looked for first because he values experience and not giving young players too much playing time too quickly.

I believe that Dodson will be the nominal “starter” at the start of the season, with Bernard getting plenty of playing time....hopefully developing into a reliable starter. Williams looked fast and aggressive and is probably solid as Milano's backup, but can and will be used to backup Dodson and Bernard.

The odd man out seems to be Spector. By all reports, he has not been even sniffing 1st team snaps in training camp and him not getting into the game until the 2nd half with and against 3rd stringers is interesting.

Spector took first team snaps a week ago and he got a lot of buzz for how well he did

Also Dorian played MLB most of the 3rd quarter. It went

Dodson-Milano
                              Dodson-Williams
                              Klein-Williams

Then Williams was alone in the center of the defense for a lot of the 3rd with Klein coming in primarily at OLB

I dont think they are impressed by Dodson and are now switching back to Williams getting reps. It wouldn't surprise me if Williams gets some reps at first team MLB this week just to see if hes more comfortable
                              Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

Working...
                              X