PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Doyle out for the season

Woodman
08-20-2023, 07:04 PM
Bills announce Tommy Doyle is out for the season - NBC Sports (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bills-announce-tommy-doyle-is-out-for-the-season)

OpIv37
08-20-2023, 07:18 PM
Dropping like flies. We’re gonna have to take any halfway decent tackle who gets cut bu other teams.

ParanoidAndroid
08-20-2023, 07:30 PM
/career

Turf
08-20-2023, 07:37 PM
Bills to sign offensive lineman, Garrett McGhin per @DraftDiamonds

https://twitter.com/BuiltInBuffalo_/status/1693413574494847041

OpIv37
08-20-2023, 07:42 PM
Bills to sign offensive lineman, Garrett McGhin per @DraftDiamonds

https://twitter.com/BuiltInBuffalo_/status/1693413574494847041

Scraping the bottom of the barrel but beggars can’t be choosers.

Turf
08-20-2023, 08:06 PM
Is it our talent on the OL is bad or is our OL coach and scheming bad. We should be thriving on a short passing game to tire out the DL, break their morale, and then hit them deep. Our routes take too long to develop and we don't have the OL for that. Look at what Brady did. Short underneath stuff eating the clock. Teams almost gave up trying to get to him and I don't think they had the best talent upfront.

sukie
08-20-2023, 08:08 PM
Dorsey needs a short game to use to tire out the D as stated and to use in bad weather.

Novacane
08-20-2023, 09:11 PM
Scraping the bottom of the barrel but beggars can’t be choosers.

Not to be heartless to a guy who just got hurt but Doyle was the bottom of the barrel. It's not good but let's not pretend this is a big deal.

Woodman
08-20-2023, 10:04 PM
Not to be heartless to a guy who just got hurt but Doyle was the bottom of the barrel. It's not good but let's not pretend this is a big deal.

A cut candidate for sure if we're being honest.

OpIv37
08-20-2023, 10:13 PM

We are already hurting so bad at the position. If Doyle was the bottom of the barrel, the barrel. Ow has no bottom and is hemorrhaging profusely. These are the people being paid to protect our $258 mil franchise QB.

YardRat
08-21-2023, 06:21 AM
Is it our talent on the OL is bad or is our OL coach and scheming bad. We should be thriving on a short passing game to tire out the DL, break their morale, and then hit them deep. Our routes take too long to develop and we don't have the OL for that. Look at what Brady did. Short underneath stuff eating the clock. Teams almost gave up trying to get to him and I don't think they had the best talent upfront.

We've had different coaches with this regime and the offensive line has consistently been a weakness.

Maybe part of the problem is Beane's focus on physical freaks (Brown) and "versatility" instead of football players that play a single position really well.

Kenny
08-21-2023, 07:28 AM
Dorsey needs a short game to use to tire out the D as stated and to use in bad weather.
Here's hoping he's learned from last year's disaster. Otherwise Josh will be airing it out with low probability throws on 3rd and short again.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-21-2023, 09:24 AM
Here's hoping he's learned from last year's disaster. Otherwise Josh will be airing it out with low probability throws on 3rd and short again.
It might (I said might) be a Josh thing. He had two OC in his career. Both Darboll and Dorsey calling a lot of medium to long shots, even in the middle, it was a lot of crossing routes which tends to be at lease medium depth. Note Daboll's offensive philosophy comes from NE and introduced the Emdhart-Perkins system to the Bills and Josh. That system is based on concept which does not dictate specific depth. So Josh has a lot of freedom on where the ball goes. Sometimes I feel he "abuses" his arm strength, like if the outside is turning into a one-on-one, everyone in the stadium knows where the ball goes regardless what happens everywhere else.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-21-2023, 09:28 AM
I'm more concerned about Dawkins. The Bills are COUNTING on him. But in my eyes, he's been declining every year since he signed the extension. He's not old by Tackle standards as he is 29 going to 30. But his physique screams to me we can see a severe decline of his once known nimble feet.

Bill Cody
08-21-2023, 10:06 AM
We're going to need to draft 2 tackles next year

ParanoidAndroid
08-21-2023, 10:22 AM
He was next up as the swing tackle because Quessenberry was horrid last year. He was not bottom of the barrel. Here's hoping they can unlock VanDemark's potential.

Kenny
08-21-2023, 12:11 PM
It might (I said might) be a Josh thing. He had two OC in his career. Both Darboll and Dorsey calling a lot of medium to long shots, even in the middle, it was a lot of crossing routes which tends to be at lease medium depth. Note Daboll's offensive philosophy comes from NE and introduced the Emdhart-Perkins system to the Bills and Josh. That system is based on concept which does not dictate specific depth. So Josh has a lot of freedom on where the ball goes. Sometimes I feel he "abuses" his arm strength, like if the outside is turning into a one-on-one, everyone in the stadium knows where the ball goes regardless what happens everywhere else.
It could be Josh... I've def. had that thought in my head as well. Remembering that dolphins? game last year at the end of the first half where we were in field goal range, where Josh didnt have anything, the clock was running down to zero... and instead of throwing it away, stopping the clock and getting the field goal, he kept scrambling and scrambling, made it to the sideline and threw a TD pass on a low probability throw.
And then the Pitts game where he threw all those long bombs for TDs.

It's games and plays like these that make me think it overinflates Josh's ego and makes him think he needs to do the hero ball all the time still (of course that didnt work in that Vikings game).

Jeff1220
08-21-2023, 12:54 PM
I feel bad for Tommy Doyle. The guy seems to have some horrific luck. He's been hurt (or sick) so much, he's never really had a chance to develop.

sukie
08-21-2023, 12:59 PM
Daboll liked middle of field multi cross patterns with a tree of depth. Gave Josh options as mentioned. Dorsey only dabbled (successfully) in the middle and short crossing routes. (Rams week 1)… but Dorsey then started dialing up sideline routes. Sideline to Knox. Sideline to Gabe (looking for toe drag highlights). Whenever the middle was called it seemed to work… we need more middle. Hopefully this will be Kincaid bread and Butter.

YardRat
08-21-2023, 01:32 PM
We're going to need to draft 2 tackles next year

Well that will look good on Beane's track record considering we've drafted four (Broecker played two seasons at LT before moving inside for his last year at Ol' Miss) in the last three drafts.

YardRat
08-21-2023, 01:34 PM
Daboll liked middle of field multi cross patterns with a tree of depth. Gave Josh options as mentioned. Dorsey only dabbled (successfully) in the middle and short crossing routes. (Rams week 1)… but Dorsey then started dialing up sideline routes. Sideline to Knox. Sideline to Gabe (looking for toe drag highlights). Whenever the middle was called it seemed to work… we need more middle. Hopefully this will be Kincaid bread and Butter.

That's up to Josh to throw the ball to receivers in the middle instead of chucking it down field. There are always going to be deep routes to pull coverage away from intermediate/short.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-21-2023, 02:10 PM
Again, I want to emphasize on the concepts. Both the receiver and QB read the same and act the same. In the middle, you can have leverage on one side to the defender, man or zone, but likely there are defenders in neighboring zones so the read is a little more trickier for both QB and WR. Boundary is simpler. If you were Josh Allen with an arm that can throw anywhere, you would like the boundary throws as well.

The problem is you need some time, as well as defenders disguising and reveal late of their true coverage intentions, which gives their pass rushers a bit more time. Josh also has athletic ability to buy time, which again re-enforces his decision to make easier reads and rely on his super arm. It's why the passing offense looked so much "not" organized and downfield shot oriented compared to Cincy's.

Brady thrived in that type of offense. I think it is mindset thing and it will take some time - Josh may have already started, mentioning he's getting old this off-season. That is: when there is an easy completion, even if it is underneath, take it. You don't have to make a killing shot whenever there is a POSSIBILITY.

By the way I see Mahomes has something similar of that mindset of Josh's. But Mahomes has knack of not turning thing into big negative as much as Josh has done, and Andy's system can limit Mahomes' freewheeling much more than what Buffalo has.

YardRat
08-21-2023, 05:42 PM
Mahomes YAC was almost double (+180%, 2797 to 1571) of Allen.

Woodman
08-21-2023, 06:35 PM
Mahomes YAC was almost double (+180%, 2797 to 1571) of Allen.

Why do you suppose that is? :scratch:

Woodman
08-21-2023, 06:39 PM
DE Shane Ray placed on season-ending IR

Woodman
08-21-2023, 10:24 PM
DE Shane Ray placed on season-ending IR

Was a longshot at best.

ParanoidAndroid
08-23-2023, 01:36 PM
Given how promising Brown's rookie year was, I wonder if there is something going on off the field. He doesn't have that same energy he had.

notacon
08-24-2023, 12:26 PM
Given how promising Brown's rookie year was, I wonder if there is something going on off the field. He doesn't have that same energy he had.

He missed a lot of 2022 off season because of back surgery. It was obviously bothering him (either physically or mentally) most of the season.

Apparently the coaches have more optimism that he can improve in 2023. Time will tell.