PDA

View Full Version : Backup quarterback options for the Buffalo Bills

Woodman
08-21-2023, 06:44 PM
Backup quarterback options for the Buffalo Bills - Buffalo Rumblings (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2023/8/21/23839489/backup-quarterback-options-for-the-buffalo-bills-trey-lance-malik-willis-josh-allen-matt-barkley-nfl)

One of the first names that comes to mind is San Francisco 49ers (https://www.ninersnation.com/) quarterback Trey Lance. After being the third overall pick a couple seasons ago, Lance finds himself third on the depth chart due to injuries and never seeming to find the rhythm that made him such a talented prospect. He showed some potential in the preseason game against the Denver Broncos (https://www.milehighreport.com/) Saturday, leading a game-winning touchdown drive in the fourth quarter.

DraftBoy
08-21-2023, 06:47 PM
Why would Lance come here as opposed to a place like Atlanta where he could compete for the starting job?

Woodman
08-21-2023, 06:49 PM
Why would Lance come here as opposed to a place like Atlanta where he could compete for the starting job?
Have they made a play for him?

Woodman
08-21-2023, 06:51 PM
Sticking with other quarterbacks on their rookie deals who seemed to fall out of favor with their current team we have Malik Willis with the Tennessee Titans (https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/). Willis was a prospect with a high ceiling but who perhaps needs a couple years to develop after being a third-round pick out of Liberty last season. The Titans didn’t seem content with waiting however, with the team selecting Will Levis in the second round of this year’s draft.

YardRat
08-22-2023, 05:38 AM
This playbook is extensive and complicated, they can't bring in somebody brand new two weeks before the season. It's either trade for a Keenum (or even Trubisky but he's too expensive) or stick with who you have.

Woodman
08-22-2023, 07:49 AM
Jake Fromm state farm is looking pretty good right about now.

Forward_Lateral
08-22-2023, 10:40 AM
They have a backup. Kyle Allen.

Not sure why this is even a discussion?

notacon
08-22-2023, 11:52 AM

The more pertinent question is why the Bills would opt for a totally unproven QB with nothing more than unrealized potential and little experience??

And why would the Bills waste valuable assets to trade for him??? San Fran is going to want to try and recoup some of their massive investment...THREE first round picks.

The answer is obvious. No way the Bills are interested in Trey Lance.

Ed
08-22-2023, 01:08 PM
A trade to Buffalo would only benefit Trey Lance and whatever team signs him next. It doesn't make sense for the Bills to have a developmental project as a backup. We need a reliable vet that can keep things afloat if Josh has to miss multiple weeks.

cas22
08-22-2023, 01:19 PM
the smart thing would be to draft a QB late 6th 7th round for the back up spot, might get lucky and find a Purdy that would bring great trade value...but being its this year Carson Wentz would be a option or wait till final cuts, Im sure a brissett or someone like him might become available... hey T.T would make for a great back up here.

cas22
08-22-2023, 01:21 PM
A trade to Buffalo would only benefit Trey Lance and whatever team signs him next. It doesn't make sense for the Bills to have a developmental project as a backup. We need a reliable vet that can keep things afloat if Josh has to miss multiple weeks.

we have neither now, both K Allen and Barkley don't have as much experience as J Allen does combined.

Woodman
08-23-2023, 11:25 AM
the smart thing would be to draft a QB late 6th 7th round for the back up spot, might get lucky and find a Purdy that would bring great trade value...but being its this year Carson Wentz would be a option or wait till final cuts, Im sure a brissett or someone like him might become available... hey T.T would make for a great back up here.

T.T.

cas22
08-23-2023, 11:40 AM
T.T.

as bad as I hated tyrod when he was the Bills starter I always said he would make for a great back up,, he might not win you a game but won't lose it for you.....maybe he gets cut.

JoeMama
08-23-2023, 11:52 AM
Our current QBs will serve.

If Josh Allen misses a couple games, we can probably survive with a combo of Kyle Allen/Matt Barkley and a good defense.

If Josh Allen misses a large swath of the season, our season is a wash anyway.

cas22
08-23-2023, 12:13 PM
Our current QBs will serve.

If Josh Allen misses a couple games, we can probably survive with a combo of Kyle Allen/Matt Barkley and a good defense.

If Josh Allen misses a large swath of the season, our season is a wash anyway.

if Josh goes down were in trouble... both our back ups are not here because of talent but because they are friends with Josh,,, Matt can't stay on any other roster but ours and Kyle is terrible....

if Allen gets hurt we better hope its for a series or 2... our schedule is very tuff, the only game I see as a cup cake might be the Buc's.....

Woodman
08-23-2023, 12:20 PM
if Josh goes down were in trouble... both our back ups are not here because of talent but because they are friends with Josh,,, Matt can't stay on any other roster but ours and Kyle is terrible....

if Allen gets hurt we better hope its for a series or 2... our schedule is very tuff, the only game I see as a cup cake might be the Buc's.....

The schedule is gonna be very challenging for sure.

cas22
08-23-2023, 12:32 PM
The schedule is gonna be very challenging for sure.

I'm very worried about this year, I thought last year should have been our best chance, I've herd rumors that Diggs brother is the one who told Stephen A that his brother wanted out of Buffalo and the thought is because that window of opportunity has closed...

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see us dominating the AFC east this year, both the Jets and Fin's got better and we had trouble with both of them last year,, on defense we pretty much the same defense except for a 1st round middle linebacker we still haven't addressed.. and on offense we lost 1 o-lineman and replaced him with a similar talent, and we still don't no who will be in the slot which was a huge issue last year..

and then we have Dorsey who likes to throw the ball 70% of the time on 1st down... I guess the waiting game is just about over.....

notacon
08-23-2023, 12:49 PM

That could be in the offing for 2024 since the Bills stockpiled draft picks.

Chet
08-24-2023, 08:12 AM
You have to hope Josh’s health holds like it has since he came back from injury in 2018. I would only feel comfortable with a one-game start from either K. Allen or Barkley if Allen is in concussion protocol. Anything more than a game and you can chalk it up to an L. Neither of those guys are NFL players

TigerJ
08-24-2023, 01:54 PM
This playbook is extensive and complicated, they can't bring in somebody brand new two weeks before the season. It's either trade for a Keenum (or even Trubisky but he's too expensive) or stick with who you have.I'm assuming that Kyle Allen will be Josh Allen's backup. I expect the third QB will hang out on the PS and will never start until the Bills are in dire straights. If the Bills have to start their third QB for an extensive period, the season is probably good for nothing except to be flushed down the toilet. For that reason, I'm not opposed to bringing in a young QB who has developmental potential as a third QB.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
08-24-2023, 05:07 PM

We're a combination foster home and launching pad for high-pick busts. Trubisky - just look at how his career is going.

Woodman
08-25-2023, 10:15 AM
Marcus Mariota might be available. :scratch:

notacon
08-25-2023, 12:13 PM
I'm assuming that Kyle Allen will be Josh Allen's backup. I expect the third QB will hang out on the PS and will never start until the Bills are in dire straights. If the Bills have to start their third QB for an extensive period, the season is probably good for nothing except to be flushed down the toilet. For that reason, I'm not opposed to bringing in a young QB who has developmental potential as a third QB.

I'm assuming that Kyle Allen will be Josh Allen's backup. But, things can change after cut down day next week.

The one QB that could be available for cheap and would fill the role quite nicely as he is already very familiar with the Bills offense as he was backup last season.

Case Keenum.

As Joe B. opined (https://theathletic.com/4804078/2023/08/25/buffalo-bills-chicago-bears-preseason/) (and it makes a lot of sense)....

The Bills’ 2022 backup, Case Keenum (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/case-keenum-7ot7wqMVqmX4DgxK/), is in a rather unique situation with the Houston Texans (https://theathletic.com/nfl/team/texans/). Keenum is signed to a two-year deal that’s fully guaranteed in 2023, though he remains third on the depth chart behind both C.J. Stroud (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/cj-stroud-OiILdmCU0Ie4L8vg/) and Davis Mills. The Texans may want to have a veteran voice for their two young quarterbacks, but should he become available, it likely would take little to acquire him, and Keenum could hit the ground running with the playbook he mastered last year. Keenum’s cap hit would only be $2.5 million this year, which the Bills would have the cap space to add. So it’s all up to (Kyle) Allen, who will likely control his fate Saturday.

Woodman
08-25-2023, 03:47 PM
To trade him, 49ers might have to pick up some of Trey Lance’s 2024 pay.As the 49ers try to figure out quarterback Trey Lance’s future, a potential trade remains on the radar screen. But there’s an issue.
The remainder of his rookie deal is fully guaranteed. While all but $940,000 of his 2023 compensation has been paid, Lance’s new team would also be on the hook for $5.31 million for 2024.
This could require, as one league source has explained it, the 49ers to agree to pay some of the money due in 2024.
The clock is ticking on the 49ers, if their unspoken goal is to unload Lance and keep Brandon Allen as their third-string quarterback. If they can’t trade Lance by Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET, they’ll either have to carry four quarterbacks on the roster until trading Lance or release Allen. As a vested veteran, he could immediately sign with any other team.

YardRat
08-25-2023, 06:02 PM
I'm assuming that Kyle Allen will be Josh Allen's backup. But, things can change after cut down day next week.

The one QB that could be available for cheap and would fill the role quite nicely as he is already very familiar with the Bills offense as he was backup last season.

Case Keenum.

As Joe B. opined (https://theathletic.com/4804078/2023/08/25/buffalo-bills-chicago-bears-preseason/) (and it makes a lot of sense)....

The only times Joe B sounds intelligent is when he's stealing my ****.

Woodman
08-25-2023, 07:59 PM
To trade him, 49ers might have to pick up some of Trey Lance’s 2024 pay.

As the 49ers try to figure out quarterback Trey Lance’s future, a potential trade remains on the radar screen. But there’s an issue.
The remainder of his rookie deal is fully guaranteed. While all but $940,000 of his 2023 compensation has been paid, Lance’s new team would also be on the hook for $5.31 million for 2024.
This could require, as one league source has explained it, the 49ers to agree to pay some of the money due in 2024.
The clock is ticking on the 49ers, if their unspoken goal is to unload Lance and keep Brandon Allen as their third-string quarterback. If they can’t trade Lance by Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET, they’ll either have to carry four quarterbacks on the roster until trading Lance or release Allen. As a vested veteran, he could immediately sign with any other team.

Cowboys get him for a 4th.

notacon
08-26-2023, 11:19 AM
The only times Joe B sounds intelligent is when he's stealing my ****.

:rofl: What baloney.

The only times you sound intelligent is.....well....hardly ever.

Chet
08-26-2023, 12:36 PM
Christ we must have the worst backup options in the league if Josh goes down

Woodman
08-27-2023, 12:13 PM
Marcus Mariota might be available. :scratch:
If he's available ...... imo he's worth pursuing.

TigerJ
08-27-2023, 05:10 PM
With Trey Lance off the market the Buffalo Rumblings article doesn't have much to add to the discussion. I'm not sure if Carson Wentz is fixable at this point. Even if he is fixable, it may take time before the Bills would want to risk putting the outcome of a game on his shoulders. Malik Willis still has some upside, but I'm not sure at all that he can be ready to step on the field in an NFL game and be successful.

Historian
08-28-2023, 07:25 AM
Did Peterman play on Saturday?

:couch:

:D

Woodman
08-28-2023, 03:57 PM
Cardinals release Colt McCoy

ticatfan
08-28-2023, 09:09 PM
Nathan Rourke waived

Woodman
08-29-2023, 10:11 AM
Jake Fromm Allstate is available.

Woodman
08-29-2023, 02:24 PM
Did Peterman play on Saturday?

:couch:

:D

Breaking News:

Bears to release Peterman, leaving Bagent as No. 2 QB

Mr. Pink
08-30-2023, 12:39 AM

Case Keenum.

:rofl: at Keenum

It's good to see the rest of the league has figured out he's not good enough. He wasn't good enough to take over for an injured Baker Mayfield to take a few weeks off and get better and then he wasn't good enough here for Allen to take a few weeks off to get better.

Apparently your favorite "expert" hasn't figured out what most of us, and the rest of the league have about Keenum.

And since you haven't either, I'll put it simply...he's not good enough to get in games even when the starter in front of him is obviously injured.

Forward_Lateral
08-30-2023, 05:55 AM
They need another QB now with Barkles on IR for life

sukie
08-30-2023, 08:37 AM
Peterman. Final chapter to a storybook well paid career.

Woodman
08-30-2023, 09:44 AM
They need another QB now with Barkles on IR for life

Yup it's over for Barkley.

notacon
08-30-2023, 01:44 PM
:rofl: at Keenum

It's good to see the rest of the league has figured out he's not good enough. He wasn't good enough to take over for an injured Baker Mayfield to take a few weeks off and get better and then he wasn't good enough here for Allen to take a few weeks off to get better.

Apparently your favorite "expert" hasn't figured out what most of us, and the rest of the league have about Keenum.

And since you haven't either, I'll put it simply...he's not good enough to get in games even when the starter in front of him is obviously injured.

“Good enough” for what exactly???? No one is saying he would make a good starter. The Bills need an experienced vet backup who in the disastrous event Josh misses several games, he would hold down the fort and not make stupid errors. Not get caught in the glare of attention like a deer in the headlights.

He ABSOLUTELY is “good enough to get into games” and perform at an acceptable level when the starter in front of him is injured.

Case Keenum would be exponentially more reliable than sad sack Kyle Allen....or Barkley for that matter.

Oh...other sports media analysts have brought up his name besides the stellar Joe B. Pay attention.

Cali512
08-30-2023, 02:03 PM
:rofl: What baloney.

The only times you sound intelligent is.....well....hardly ever.

if copy and paste wasnt a thing, youd be our quietest poster

notacon
08-30-2023, 03:03 PM
if copy and paste wasnt a thing, youd be our quietest poster

Why do you feel the need to be SO ****ing dishonest????

SO many of my posts are based on MY OWN research and analysis. Just stop lying!!!!

notacon
08-30-2023, 03:06 PM
Looks like the Case Keenum idea is moot. Houston has “received calls from team interested” and have declined.

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 689px; display: block; flex-grow: 1;" title="Twitter Tweet" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfdGltZWxpbmVfbGlzdCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOltdLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X2ZvbGxvd2VyX2NvdW50X3N1bnNldCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOnRydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9iYWNrZW5kIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19yZWZzcmNfc2Vzc2lvbiI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfZm9zbnJfc29mdF9pbnRlcnZlbnRpb25zX2VuYWJsZWQiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijoib24iLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X21peGVkX21lZGlhXzE1ODk3Ijp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6InRyZWF0bWVudCIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfZXhwZXJpbWVudHNfY29 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 ydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9mcm9udGVuZCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9fQ%3D%3D&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=1696880725637664939&lang=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com%2Ffanzone%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dpostreply%26t%3D263681&sessionId=eecda86cf8223c29ac87d621f11182b99f789ba4&theme=light&widgetsVersion=aaf4084522e3a%3A1674595607486&width=550px" data-tweet-id="1696880725637664939"></iframe>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like more than one team was interested in Keenum.

It should surprise no one if the Bills were one of them. I suspect they were.

Because Beane is a good GM, unlike the some of the armchair GM’s who know a LOT less about football than they think they do.<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.2b2d73daf636805223fb11d48f3e94f7.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

Cali512
08-30-2023, 03:16 PM
Why do you feel the need to be SO ****ing dishonest????

SO many of my posts are based on MY OWN research and analysis. Just stop lying!!!!

Why have you been neg repping people over jokes lmfao. Ive never used that tool in 10 years lol, i dont even know how to. Thats petty af

notacon
08-30-2023, 03:18 PM
Since the Pats rather surprisingly waived Bailey Zappe who was a short lived darling last season when Jones was hurt, it’s natural that there are stories (https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/nfl-roster-cuts-tracking-backup-quarterbacks-patriots-sign/550205/) about who they are going to sign as a backup.

The list of some of the available QB’s is not that impressive :yawn:....

Colt McCoy
Jake Fromm
Carson Wentz
Nick Foles
John Wolford
Chase Daniel
Trevor Siemian
Jeff Driskel
Chris Streveler
Ben DiNucci
Tommy DeVito
Brett Rypien
David Blough
Nathan Peterman
Josh Johnson

notacon
08-30-2023, 03:19 PM
Why have you been neg repping people over jokes lmfao. Ive never used that tool in 10 years lol, i dont even know how to. Thats petty af
Except I do not believe for one second that it's a “joke”. You have mentioned it several times. Stop lying about it being a “joke”.

What's “petty” is you lying about my posting content.

Chet
08-30-2023, 03:23 PM
Since the Pats rather surprisingly waived Bailey Zappe who was a short lived darling last season when Jones was hurt, it’s natural that there are stories (https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/nfl-roster-cuts-tracking-backup-quarterbacks-patriots-sign/550205/) about who they are going to sign as a backup.

The list of some of the available QB’s is not that impressive :yawn:....

Colt McCoy
Jake Fromm
Carson Wentz
Nick Foles
John Wolford
Chase Daniel
Trevor Siemian
Jeff Driskel
Chris Streveler
Ben DiNucci
Tommy DeVito
Brett Rypien
David Blough
Nathan Peterman
Josh Johnson

I’d take Foles or Wentz over the garbage we have

cas22
08-30-2023, 03:28 PM
matt Corral got cut

notacon
08-30-2023, 03:29 PM
matt Corral got cut

Whoopie!!!!!

notacon
08-30-2023, 03:34 PM

Gotta agree with you!!

Wentz could still be expecting to be paid. He got (unbelievably) $22M guaranteed last season. Nick Foles was paid a more down to earth $2.5M last year.

Time will tell if the Bills will bite. Knowing Beane he is exploring all options.

Mr. Pink
08-30-2023, 10:45 PM
He ABSOLUTELY is “good enough to get into games” and perform at an acceptable level when the starter in front of him is injured.

This point has been proven to be demonstrably false. Not just by one organization but two.

If he was "good enough to get into games" he would have played several games with the Browns while Baker had a separated nonthrowing shoulder. He also would have had played several games for us when Josh Allen suffered from a UCL sprain.

If Keenum is "good enough" then why has he still not seen the field when the starter in front of him is obviously injured?

Mr. Pink
08-30-2023, 10:47 PM

Foles has been given chance after chance and he can never hang on. Wentz has become hot garbage.

Kyle Allen, while he might be garbage, at least doesn't cost a whole lot of money....as opposed to those two guys who are also garbage and would cost more.

Historian
08-31-2023, 06:34 AM
I would take Foles in a heartbeat.

All you're looking for is a disaster QB to begin with, while Little Allen develops.

Forward_Lateral
08-31-2023, 07:26 AM
They just signed some dude from the Chiefs

Mad Bomber
08-31-2023, 09:05 AM
They just signed some dude from the Chiefs
Shane Buechele. Never heard of him.

Canadian'eh!
08-31-2023, 09:06 AM
Shane Buechele. Never heard of him.

Tell him to bring the playbook.