PDA

View Full Version : CB Christian Benford impresses

Woodman
08-23-2023, 11:17 AM
“Cornerback Christian Benford, still fighting for a starting job, had a particularly impressive practice. It started in one-on-one drills when he did a great job to stick with Diggs and knock the ball away as it arrived. Later, Benford had another impressive pass breakup in 11-on-11, then got into the backfield on a blitz which forced a quick throw and incompletion.
Later, during a two minute drill, Josh Allen threw a ball deep to where he thought Gabe Davis was running his route. But Benford’s tight coverage forced Davis to cut it short and the ball sailed over both of their heads.”

Buffalo Bills CB Christian Benford impresses during practice Wednesday - Buffalo Rumblings (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2023/8/22/23842096/buffalo-bills-cb-christian-benford-impresses-during-wednesdays-practice-stefon-diggs-kaiir-elam-nfl)

TigerJ
08-24-2023, 10:08 PM
I said on another message board, if Christian Benford is as good as he appears to be and ends up starting in place of Elam, it's far from the worst thing that could happen to the Bills. Ideally you want a first round pick to be starting, but Elam backing up Benford is a tiny problem to have compared with a couple others with which Buffalo is dealing.

Woodman
08-25-2023, 12:00 PM
It's always better to have great competition than no competition.

You gotta earn your right ........................ oh well you know the rest.

Cali512
08-25-2023, 12:45 PM
I find the narrative that its bad when your late round pick is beating out your first round pick. Sherman/Norman both were late picks or USFA.

In retrospect, its actually a blessing because we could possibly get a decent haul for Elam because of his draft value, while someone like Benford, has absolutely no true market. Saves us money, best players out there.

Its not a huge loss to cut ties if we have to, it would be way worse if we didnt have benford

notacon
08-26-2023, 11:15 AM
I find the narrative that its bad when your late round pick is beating out your first round pick. Sherman/Norman both were late picks or USFA.

In retrospect, its actually a blessing because we could possibly get a decent haul for Elam because of his draft value, while someone like Benford, has absolutely no true market. Saves us money, best players out there.

Its not a huge loss to cut ties if we have to, it would be way worse if we didnt have benford

Spot on.

It could also be the case that Elam is not that bad, and can still develop into a reliable player and/or starter, and that Benford was a diamond in the late rounds. Happens all the time.

San Fran just illustrated that reality. They trade away and use THREE first round picks on Lance, and Mr. Irelevent in the 2022 draft is now their franchise QB (although it may be too early to crown him that just yet).

Competition is good for every position.

Elam could easily be a late bloomer. Happens all the time in the NFL. I’m tickled pink that a 6th round second year player is challenging for the starting #2 CB spot.

Canadian'eh!
08-26-2023, 12:00 PM
A first round pick like Elam should be able to easily win a starting job. If he doesn’t, it’s a disappointment no matter what.

Woodman
08-26-2023, 01:18 PM
Benford has played very well.

Historian
08-26-2023, 01:20 PM
Beneford has earned it....for right now.

Some guys take a while longer to adjust to the pro game.

GreedoII
08-27-2023, 08:51 AM
Elam seems to be a game day player more than a practice camp guy. Dunno he made some plays last year.

notacon
08-27-2023, 11:28 AM
I strongly suspect that the Bills are going to rotate the #2CB very much like they did last year.

Woodman
08-27-2023, 12:11 PM
Allow the cream to rise to the top!!