View Full Version : Buffalo/Cinci set precedent

YardRat
08-27-2023, 07:24 AM
There have been at least two preseason games called (NE/GB and now Miami/Jax) because of serious injury to a player. Probably prior to last fall both would have been played until the end anyway. Will ending games become 'a thing' now in the regular season if somebody is carted off the field with what appears to be a serious back/neck/head injury?

Chet
08-27-2023, 07:53 AM
To be fair, I think they are distinctly different situations. Never before had someone died on the field (to my knowledge), whereas these preseason games are meaningless, so nothing is really lost (NFL and stadiums/vendors got their money) if they stop a game due to serious injury. If anything it gives them good optics.

Goobylal
08-27-2023, 08:21 AM
Because it's pre-season. Regular season I think only a situation like Damar's gets a game called off.

sahlensguy
08-27-2023, 09:44 AM
To be fair, I think they are distinctly different situations. Never before had someone died on the field (to my knowledge), whereas these preseason games are meaningless, so nothing is really lost (NFL and stadiums/vendors got their money) if they stop a game due to serious injury. If anything it gives them good optics.

Horrible optics.

Football is a violent sport. Nobody wants to see just how violent it is. Especially executives.

DraftBoy
08-27-2023, 09:46 AM
There have been at least two preseason games called (NE/GB and now Miami/Jax) because of serious injury to a player. Probably prior to last fall both would have been played until the end anyway. Will ending games become 'a thing' now in the regular season if somebody is carted off the field with what appears to be a serious back/neck/head injury?

Good, they absolutely should. This is a game, not life and death.

DraftBoy
08-27-2023, 09:47 AM
Horrible optics.

Football is a violent sport. Nobody wants to see just how violent it is. Especially executives.

This is a horrible post. This comes across and saying “We don’t care about these players as they are only objects for our entertainment”.

OpIv37
08-27-2023, 10:14 AM

Is it though? I don’t know about you, but I barely follow Bills preseason games and I don’t pay attention to any other teams. I wouldn’t have known about these horrible injuries if they didn’t make headlines because the games got cancelled. It’s the right thing to do but it also puts more eyes on gruesome injuries, which is not good for the league or the sport in general.

The league is going to have to develop some protocols for making up canceled games and/or how to handle cancelled games in the standings. Preseason- meh. But they need to be prepared if it happens again in the reg season.

cas22
08-27-2023, 10:20 AM
Is it though? I don’t know about you, but I barely follow Bills preseason games and I don’t pay attention to any other teams. I wouldn’t have known about these horrible injuries if they didn’t make headlines because the games got cancelled. It’s the right thing to do but it also puts more eyes on gruesome injuries, which is not good for the league or the sport in general.

The league is going to have to develop some protocols for making up canceled games and/or how to handle cancelled games in the standings. Preseason- meh. But they need to be prepared if it happens again in the reg season.

not gonna happen in the regular season unless a incident like Hamlin's happens again.. I sure hope it doesn't happen again..

sahlensguy
08-27-2023, 11:28 AM
This is a horrible post. This comes across and saying “We don’t care about these players as they are only objects for our entertainment”.

Sorry if the reality of the violent sport of football makes you uncomfortable looking at your own beastiality in the mirror but if we were all fully humane, none of us would probably support the game. The game exploits players through pop Warner through college for money and lifelong medical issues follow many players throughout their lives.

Cancelling games brings the violent reality of football to the forefront and it's terrible optics for the sport.

sahlensguy
08-27-2023, 11:36 AM
not gonna happen in the regular season unless a incident like Hamlin's happens again.. I sure hope it doesn't happen again..

Earl Campbell's most famous run probably (the one against the Rams where he had his shirt ripped off) began with a helmet to chest ram of a hit that was way more violent than the Hamlin hit. Life is fragile and players live on the edge, every down.

Gibby 2.0
08-27-2023, 05:30 PM

No. They won't call off a regular or post season game unless a player dies like Damar did last year. Should they? Yeah, they probably should. These guys' lives are far more important than a 3 hour spectacle. Will they? No, there's way too much money on the line for the league and for Vegas and turf accountants from one end of the country to the other.* Do keep in mind this team Made Pittsburgh play 15 straight games without a bye, forced Cleveland to play a playoff game withoout its coaches and a lot of its starters (which made its stomping of Pittsburgh even more pleasing to watch than it would have been already), forced us to play a Tuesday night game, and forced Denver to start a reserve wr at QB all during a global pandemic. Preseason games? They called off at least one Hall of Fame game due to lightning, they wiped the slate clean in 2020, and they called off games for serious injury and frankly I fully support NFLPA and the league offices and all who were responsible for not resuming these preseason games. Preseason football is pointless, and it has been for a long time. I remember a preseason game when the Iggles still played at the Vet that got called off because the turf there was deemed too dangerous to play on.

If I had my way, I would extend the season to 18 games and have two bye weeks, (I just hate having an odd number of regular season games) and reduce pre season games to 2 (a home and away) so that each team could have family day. Starters would play no more than quarter in these, you know for the kids, and the road game would be their backups all game long. If you can't evaluate talent in two games against near peer competition you should not be a GM or coach. I'd also ditch the probowl completely.

DraftBoy
08-27-2023, 06:04 PM
Sorry if the reality of the violent sport of football makes you uncomfortable looking at your own beastiality in the mirror but if we were all fully humane, none of us would probably support the game. The game exploits players through pop Warner through college for money and lifelong medical issues follow many players throughout their lives.

Cancelling games brings the violent reality of football to the forefront and it's terrible optics for the sport.

It absolutely should be at the forefront The game is extremely exploitative and literally takes years off peoples lives. That should be on display weekly.

ParanoidAndroid
08-27-2023, 07:20 PM
Chuck Hughes was the first back in 1971 and he was not successfully revived. He was a receiver for the Lions who were playing against the Bills. There are no two teams so cursed, are there?

sahlensguy
08-27-2023, 07:30 PM
It absolutely should be at the forefront The game is extremely exploitative and literally takes years off peoples lives. That should be on display weekly.

I'm not disagreeing that it should be in the forefront, but that doesn't mean it's good optics, especially in the eyes of the game's executives.

DraftBoy
08-27-2023, 09:44 PM
I'm not disagreeing that it should be in the forefront, but that doesn't mean it's good optics, especially in the eyes of the game's executives.

It’d be a real shane if the fans actually realized they are the ones with the power in this equation. Won’t ever happen, which is why the optics don’t matter.

sahlensguy
08-27-2023, 09:58 PM
It’d be a real shane if the fans actually realized they are the ones with the power in this equation. Won’t ever happen, which is why the optics don’t matter.

Boomer.

Cali512
08-28-2023, 12:28 AM
These all happened with under 10 mins left in the 4th of a preseason game. Thats all.

Historian
08-28-2023, 06:50 AM
Chuck Hughes was the first back in 1971 and he was not successfully revived. He was a receiver for the Lions who were playing against the Bills. There are no two teams so cursed, are there?

I'm pretty sure the Lions were playing the Bears.

DraftBoy
08-28-2023, 07:00 AM
Boomer.

Sure.

In all seriousness though, we should fully understand and be aware of the cost related to our own entertainment. Football is an incredibly violent sport that not only hurts people but it takes years off their lives. It can also be incredibly lucrative and it’s entertainment as hell.

I’m not sitting here saying we should ban the game due to its violence, but a little more acknowledgement of the toll it takes on human life shouldn’t be that far fetched of an idea.

I can say that after the Hamlin incident last year, I had to take a long hard look about if I wanted to to continue supporting the sport. I think a lot of people did and that’s perfectly fine.

The absolute last thing anybody wants is for another Hamlin incident to occur, but we can’t prevent it. So I don’t think it’s a bad thing to recognize the value of human life and allow the game to be suspended or cancelled when a injury occurs that could literally have ended somebody’s life and they are being ambulanced off the field.

Just my opinion though.

Historian
08-28-2023, 07:20 AM
You know, a lot of this could be avoided if the league went back to teaching the fundamentals of tackling:

Grab the ball carrier just below the waist, wrap their legs together, and drop them.
Instead you have these hotdogs trying to get on the ESPN highlights by tattooing someone in the chest with a shoulder pad as they are reaching for a ball.

What do they expect is going to happen?

ParanoidAndroid
08-28-2023, 08:17 AM
I'm pretty sure the Lions were playing the Bears.
Okay. I didn't read carefully.

He collapsed in the locker room during a pre-season game vs the Bills which should have been a warning sign.
Thanks.

BansheeSioux
08-28-2023, 06:54 PM
Already predicted by most who think it's entertainment and not competition. There will be couple fake injuries and they'll call games and then QBs will wear flags in the future.
Better collect your football helmets. They'll be like gladiator artifacts soon

Oaf
08-28-2023, 09:29 PM
S***, I love football, but I wonder how many deaths / CTE incidents it would take to turn a majority away from the game.

The super bowl is already not the cultural centerpoint it used to be AFAIK.

YardRat
08-29-2023, 05:40 AM
S***, I love football, but I wonder how many deaths / CTE incidents it would take to turn a majority away from the game.

The super bowl is already not the cultural centerpoint it used to be AFAIK.

I think it hurt boxing, but ironically that was replaced by a sport even more violent and senseless.

OpIv37
08-29-2023, 09:43 AM
I think it hurt boxing, but ironically that was replaced by a sport even more violent and senseless.

You’re wrong.

Every sport is senseless. I suppose you could argue that MMA is more violent than boxing since there are more permitted ways to attack your opponent, but self defense is a legitimate skill. The sport started as a way to determine which method of self defense was most effective.

And, in boxing, the only real way to win is to target the head. Sure, there are body shots, but they are mostly just to set up more effective head shots. MMA isn’t nearly as bad as boxing in terms of CTE.

Don’t get me wrong. All contact sports are bad for brain health and MMA is no exception. But getting knocked out by one head kick isn’t nearly as bad for the brain as ten 3 min rounds of a professional boxer punching you in the skull.

notacon
08-29-2023, 12:17 PM
You’re wrong.

Every sport is senseless. I suppose you could argue that MMA is more violent than boxing since there are more permitted ways to attack your opponent, but self defense is a legitimate skill. The sport started as a way to determine which method of self defense was most effective.

And, in boxing, the only real way to win is to target the head. Sure, there are body shots, but they are mostly just to set up more effective head shots. MMA isn’t nearly as bad as boxing in terms of CTE.

Don’t get me wrong. All contact sports are bad for brain health and MMA is no exception. But getting knocked out by one head kick isn’t nearly as bad for the brain as ten 3 min rounds of a professional boxer punching you in the skull.

You got that right on the money Opi. Sports, like all entertainment is “senseless”. But we love it, in large part, because it is senseless.

Physical competition with humans started before they came out of caves. Put two people together and it becomes a competition. That is the nature of humanity.

“Violence” is also an indelible trait of humankind (and in particular American society). Always has been and always will be.

To address Oaf’s observation "I wonder how many deaths / CTE incidents it would take to turn a majority away from the game.” the answer is exponentially more than what that number is now, which means probably never.

In the NFL with the minimum salary of $750K for a rookie and $1 MILLION for a four year vet, with soon to be $100 MILION a year QB, and the adoration that comes with almost all sports, but in particular the NFL, NO amount of CTE incidents will have even a small number of athletes “turning away” from the NFL. That kind of money is only available because of the massive popularity of the NFL that shows no sign of abating.

NFL games accounted for 82 of the 100 most-watched (https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2023/nfl-games-account-for-82-of-100-top-tv-broadcasts-1234700381/#:~:text=If%20anything%2C%20the%20league%20has,programs%20on%20TV%20in%202022.) programs on TV in 2022. That’s up from the previous record of 75 (https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2022/nfl-games-account-for-75-of-the-100-most-watched-broadcasts-of-2021-1234657845/) notched during 2021, when NBC’s coverage of the pandemic-delayed Tokyo Olympics gobbled up 10 slots on the list.

Oaf included “deaths” in his observation but, in the history of the NFL there has been only ONE death that occurred on the field during a game (https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/04/us/nfl-history-medical-emergencies/index.html#:~:text=Lions%20wide%20receiver%20Chuck%20Hughes,the%20huddle%20for%20another%20play.)....in 1971. That ain’t nearly enough.

Our American society endures TENS of THOUSANDS of deaths every year with guns, yet refuses to enact any reasonable gun control reforms. While in Japan (population 127 million), "RARELY sees more than 10 gun deaths a year” (https://www.businessinsider.com/gun-control-how-japan-has-almost-completely-eliminated-gun-deaths-2017-10#:~:text=Japan%20is%20a%20country%20of,a%20small%20pool%20of%20guns.)

That answers Oaf’s question quite succinctly.

sukie
08-29-2023, 12:57 PM
Comparing gun deaths and death on a football field is stupid. Televise gun deaths and maybe you might have something. No, news footage doesn’t count.

OpIv37
08-29-2023, 01:16 PM
Comparing gun deaths and death on a football field is stupid. Televise gun deaths and maybe you might have something. No, news footage doesn’t count.

I agree with most of what nota said. Americans have a shockingly high tolerance for injuries, violence and death when it gets us what we want. Guns and football do not make a great comparison, but the root cause as to why they’re socially acceptable is the same: selfishness.

I disagree with nota a bit on Japan. Yes, I’m sure their gun control laws definitely contribute to their much lower murder/gun death rates. But Japanese culture is so different from American culture. Generally speaking, the Japanese take the viewpoint that rules exist for a reason and they don’t want to risk disappointing their elders or authority figures by breaking them. Americans generally see rules as someone else trying to control us. We abide by the rules we agree with, but if we don’t agree with the rule, we try to circumvent it or break it without getting caught. If the Japanese had our gun laws, they’d still have a lower gun death rate than we do.

Oaf
08-29-2023, 03:27 PM
I agree with most of what nota said. Americans have a shockingly high tolerance for injuries, violence and death when it gets us what we want. Guns and football do not make a great comparison, but the root cause as to why they’re socially acceptable is the same: selfishness.

I disagree with nota a bit on Japan. Yes, I’m sure their gun control laws definitely contribute to their much lower murder/gun death rates. But Japanese culture is so different from American culture. Generally speaking, the Japanese take the viewpoint that rules exist for a reason and they don’t want to risk disappointing their elders or authority figures by breaking them. Americans generally see rules as someone else trying to control us. We abide by the rules we agree with, but if we don’t agree with the rule, we try to circumvent it or break it without getting caught. If the Japanese had our gun laws, they’d still have a lower gun death rate than we do.

Fascinating and yes…

Typ0
08-29-2023, 03:45 PM

my feeling is they are using the Hamlin incident to bail on field time pre-season games. Won't effect regular season games...

YardRat
08-29-2023, 06:39 PM
You’re wrong.

I will end up being right. The sport is still too young to have a track record of CTE, it's just a matter of time.

OpIv37
08-29-2023, 06:50 PM
I will end up being right. The sport is still too young to have a track record of CTE, it's just a matter of time.

It’s been around for 30 years…

Goobylal
08-29-2023, 07:39 PM

Huh? CTE isn't some new disease like COVID. It's the result of head trauma, which has been happening since they started playing tackle football. If anything CTE would have been worse prior to the last few decades when there was increased awareness.

YardRat
08-29-2023, 08:17 PM
It’s been around for 30 years…

Boxing was around for centuries, literally. 30 years is still infancy, and the very first generation of participants is getting to middle age.

YardRat
08-29-2023, 08:18 PM
Huh? CTE isn't some new disease like COVID. It's the result of head trauma, which has been happening since they started playing tackle football. If anything CTE would have been worse prior to the last few decades when there was increased awareness.

Head trauma from MMA, as Opi pointed out, is 30 years young.

YardRat
08-29-2023, 08:28 PM
https://www.mmanews.com/news/new-study-cte-fighters

A shocking 72% of the fighters in the study came up as TES positive. A note was made on how the younger the fighter was when they started competing, the more likely they were to develop the condition over time.
Former Fighters Have Already Been Diagnosed With CTECTE can only be officially diagnosed post-mortem. Former UFC heavyweight fighter Tim Hague was discovered to have CTE during an autopsy following his death two days after suffering a KO loss to Adam Braidwood in a boxing match.

Goobylal
08-29-2023, 08:36 PM
Head trauma from MMA, as Opi pointed out, is 30 years young.

My bad.

OpIv37
08-29-2023, 09:00 PM
https://www.mmanews.com/news/new-study-cte-fighters

A shocking 72% of the fighters in the study came up as TES positive. A note was made on how the younger the fighter was when they started competing, the more likely they were to develop the condition over time.
Former Fighters Have Already Been Diagnosed With CTECTE can only be officially diagnosed post-mortem. Former UFC heavyweight fighter Tim Hague was discovered to have CTE during an autopsy following his death two days after suffering a KO loss to Adam Braidwood in a boxing match.

Once again, I’m not saying that MMA isn’t a CTE risk factor. It clearly is. I’m just saying it’s not as bad as boxing because there are fewer head shots.

JoeMama
08-29-2023, 09:06 PM
Violent sports like football, boxing, and MMA are the fighting pits of Rome of our time.

We revel in the physical spectacle but the long term negative health effects bum us out… so we rationalize.

“The sport we like isn’t that violent compared to this other sport we don’t like” so that makes it okay.

Every hit we cheer takes a toll. Gotta be honest about it.

YardRat
08-29-2023, 09:12 PM
Once again, I’m not saying that MMA isn’t a CTE risk factor. It clearly is. I’m just saying it’s not as bad as boxing because there are fewer head shots.

It's going to end up being worse. It's inevitable.

OpIv37
08-29-2023, 09:27 PM
It's going to end up being worse. It's inevitable.

I don’t think you really understand the differences between MMA and boxing, or what causes CTE. CTE is caused by repeated blow to the head over time. Boxing encourages blows to the head, whereas MMA allows for attacking the whole body while the head is only one target.

If you want to say there are more concussions in MMA than boxing, I’d be inclined to agree. But concussions are caused by one stiff blow to the head whereas CTE is caused by repeated hits to the head over time. A boxer takes way more hits to the head in a typical fight than an MMA fighter.

JoeMama
08-29-2023, 09:39 PM
I don’t think you really understand the differences between MMA and boxing, or what causes CTE. CTE is caused by repeated blow to the head over time. Boxing encourages blows to the head, whereas MMA allows for attacking the whole body while the head is only one target.

If you want to say there are more concussions in MMA than boxing, I’d be inclined to agree. But concussions are caused by one stiff blow to the head whereas CTE is caused by repeated hits to the head over time. A boxer takes way more hits to the head in a typical fight than an MMA fighter.

You understand you’re rationalizing, right?

The source of trauma may differ. But all these sports produce tragic human consequences.

Mr. Pink
08-30-2023, 12:35 AM

Players are compensated quite nicely for those risks and each of those guys knows the risks inherent with their career path.

It doesn't need to be displayed, it should just be understood by those of us who watch the games.

YardRat
08-30-2023, 05:38 AM

New Research Shows MMA Fighters Have Higher Risk of Brain Damage

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1582096-new-research-shows-mma-fighters-have-higher-risk-of-brain-damage

Forward_Lateral
08-30-2023, 10:35 AM

Boxers takes hit to the head by a fist, covered in a glove.

MMA fighters take blows to the head from fists, feet, elbows, knees, whatever else.

Why do you have to argue about everything?

notacon
08-30-2023, 12:41 PM

Actually, if you read the article that I linked to, and do even a little bit of research on what Japan’s gun control laws are (especially in comparison to the US) there is a massive link between those laws and the absurdly low number of deaths because of guns.

No guns (or hardly any) in the hands of people, the chance of gun deaths is literally ZERO! Put guns into the hand of MILLIONS of people (especially almost unfettered access) and the chances of those guns causing deaths SOARS!!!! This is simple common sense (backed up by ALL the data and facts)

It may be true that "If the Japanese had our gun laws, they’d still have a lower gun death rate than we do.” but that’s a pretty low bar to clear since the US has around FORTY THOUSAND gun deaths every freakin year.

Years and years of stringent gun control laws have a profound effect on people’s attitudes.

Japan was cited because of the extreme and MASSIVE difference in gun deaths.

BUT, your objection to using Japan’s almost non-existent number of gun deaths as compared to the US because of "Japanese culture is so different from American culture.” in reality VALIDATES my point that, in the US, the answer to that question ("I wonder how many deaths / CTE incidents it would take to turn a majority away from the game.”) is exponentially more than what that number is now, which means probably never.

Americans tolerate death and destructive misery because of the insane proliferation of guns....unlike any country in the world. MILLIONS of people are effected by the 40,000 deaths per year....parents, children, bothers, sisters, wives, husbands, friends, relatives, co-workers, acquaintances....and on and on and on.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2022/05/25/briefing/25morning-gun-ownership-homicides/oakImage-1653514840315-articleLarge.png

None of that seems to matter to some blood thirty Americans.

Sukie’s lame assertion that “Comparing gun deaths and death on a football field is stupid. Televise gun deaths and maybe you might have something. No, news footage doesn’t count.” is what is “stupid”.

Americans not only LOVE to see “death” on television, they flock and pay for movies that depict the most gruesome violence the sick human mind can conjure up.

But, he does (inadvertently) make a good point in that showing people the DEAD BODIES OF CHILDREN MASSACRED at the hand of assault rifles made for war (and the disgusting destructive force of those weapons (https://wapo.st/3YYWh9d)), could have an effect on the resistance to reasonable gun control from one segment of society.

Football players getting injured on the football field??? No. “deaths” on the football field being televised???

Please…..ONE death on the NFL football field FIFTY ONE YEARS AGO?!?!? How silly.

Historian
08-30-2023, 01:35 PM
i hold my breath every time my kid takes the ice.

His HS coaches told him his skills are great, but over the summer, hit the weights and bulk up.

He did.

In the first game Monday night, a couple west seneca players tried to check him at various points in the game.

They simply bounced off him and fell to the ice.

It was kinda funny actually.

notacon
08-31-2023, 12:57 PM
i hold my breath every time my kid takes the ice.

His HS coaches told him his skills are great, but over the summer, hit the weights and bulk up.

He did.

In the first game Monday night, a couple west seneca players tried to check him at various points in the game.

They simply bounced off him and fell to the ice.

It was kinda funny actually.

Every sport (actually, everyday living) carries risk.

In hockey, 12 players with razor sharp skates using long sticks to hit a rock hard rubber puck at near 100 MOH....what could go wrong?!?!?

Can any Buffalo Sabres fan forget Clint Malarchuck getting his throat cut on the ice in 1989 (https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-january-17-2019-1.4979517/clint-malarchuk-suffered-a-horrific-sporting-injury-but-ptsd-put-his-life-in-peril-again-decades-later-1.4980926#:~:text=In%20the%20middle%20of%20a,of%20realizing%20what%20had%20happened.)???

If you have the stomach for it, this graphic video shows it in real time. I won’t embed it....go to the link....

Graphic Video of Clint Malarchuck’s jugular vein being severed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLUeZ6oOPKk).

sukie
08-31-2023, 04:55 PM
So violence in football compares to gun violence and Americans love it? What happened to Elam was horrific and the correct game call was made. Gruesome injuries don’t stop games except meaningless preseason games,

none is equated to the 2nd amendment.

DraftBoy
08-31-2023, 07:20 PM
Players are compensated quite nicely for those risks and each of those guys knows the risks inherent with their career path.

It doesn't need to be displayed, it should just be understood by those of us who watch the games.

How much are 10-15 years of life worth to you?

Historian
09-01-2023, 06:51 AM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/370268711_10229961729964471_3597129794611925432_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=49d041&_nc_ohc=PkcPLmeGNDcAX87OB2t&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=00_AfDWn-zomoP6it3WRwCEWIsfYEkbDtnJ4-4qx6r2rJ3gRA&oe=64F6E962

Forward_Lateral
09-01-2023, 09:59 AM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/370268711_10229961729964471_3597129794611925432_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=49d041&_nc_ohc=PkcPLmeGNDcAX87OB2t&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=00_AfDWn-zomoP6it3WRwCEWIsfYEkbDtnJ4-4qx6r2rJ3gRA&oe=64F6E962

What age group is he in now?

JoeMama
09-01-2023, 11:27 AM

Total stud.

Great genes, bro.

Typ0
09-01-2023, 01:49 PM

Not nearly as much as my contribution to my great-grandkids. I mean, tell me I can impact my great grandkids lives if I make a sacrifice right now and I am on it. 10 years when you are going to die anyway....whatever.

DraftBoy
09-01-2023, 05:10 PM
Not nearly as much as my contribution to my great-grandkids. I mean, tell me I can impact my great grandkids lives if I make a sacrifice right now and I am on it. 10 years when you are going to die anyway....whatever.

That’s not a valuation, but it’s a nice sentiment.

Forward_Lateral
09-01-2023, 08:33 PM

Which 10?

sukie
09-01-2023, 08:34 PM
Which 10?
Great question

DraftBoy
09-02-2023, 09:03 AM
Which 10?

Take your pick.

notacon
09-02-2023, 11:25 AM
Which 10?

Fascinating question.

Sizing up your life into 10 year segments and determine which 10 years is most valuable.

That’s easy for me. The 1990’s.

Married (2nd wife....now 33 years going strong) and both my daughters were born. They are both now successful, career women who I admire and are a source of tremendous pride.

sukie
09-02-2023, 03:28 PM
Fascinating question.

Sizing up your life into 10 year segments and determine which 10 years is most valuable.

That’s easy for me. The 1990’s.

Married (2nd wife....now 33 years going strong) and both my daughters were born. They are both now successful, career women who I admire and are a source of tremendous pride.
I think it’s which 10 do you wanna give up for NFL money. I chose my 80s. As long as I can wipe myself.

DraftBoy
09-02-2023, 05:43 PM
I think it’s which 10 do you wanna give up for NFL money. I chose my 80s. As long as I can wipe myself.

I think it’s more about how much self worth you have.

Historian
09-03-2023, 06:18 AM
What age group is he in now?

16U.

His second last year. (in grey)

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/369974505_10229915589090978_4124103102769581747_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=49d041&_nc_ohc=zwsN5oRcZ4oAX_LOeMX&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=00_AfC6tBNDTz600hpl4OyTRrOKKbBVfoqxmWpEbnY2VarzYw&oe=64F98547

sukie
09-03-2023, 11:03 AM
I think it’s more about how much self worth you have.

I value my own ability to wipe.

DraftBoy
09-03-2023, 06:33 PM
I value my own ability to wipe.

That’s a pretty low bar to determine value on.

sahlensguy
09-04-2023, 05:45 PM
That’s a pretty low bar to determine value on.

This low bar had value.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM

DraftBoy
09-04-2023, 05:49 PM
This low bar had value.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM

I don’t click on random YouTube videos. You’ll have to explain it.

sahlensguy
09-04-2023, 05:49 PM
I don’t click on random YouTube videos. You’ll have to explain it.

Oh, trust me...

DraftBoy
09-04-2023, 07:21 PM
Oh, trust me...

Pass.