• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Buffalo/Cinci set precedent

There have been at least two preseason games called (NE/GB and now Miami/Jax) because of serious injury to a player. Probably prior to last fall both would have been played until the end anyway. Will ending games become 'a thing' now in the regular season if somebody is carted off the field with what appears to be a serious back/neck/head injury?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Chet
    Allenhu Joshbar
    • Feb 2017

Re: Buffalo/Cinci set precedent

To be fair, I think they are distinctly different situations. Never before had someone died on the field (to my knowledge), whereas these preseason games are meaningless, so nothing is really lost (NFL and stadiums/vendors got their money) if they stop a game due to serious injury. If anything it gives them good optics.

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

Because it's pre-season. Regular season I think only a situation like Damar's gets a game called off.

Comment

• sahlensguy
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Chet View Post
        To be fair, I think they are distinctly different situations. Never before had someone died on the field (to my knowledge), whereas these preseason games are meaningless, so nothing is really lost (NFL and stadiums/vendors got their money) if they stop a game due to serious injury. If anything it gives them good optics.
        Horrible optics.

Football is a violent sport. Nobody wants to see just how violent it is. Especially executives.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          There have been at least two preseason games called (NE/GB and now Miami/Jax) because of serious injury to a player. Probably prior to last fall both would have been played until the end anyway. Will ending games become 'a thing' now in the regular season if somebody is carted off the field with what appears to be a serious back/neck/head injury?
          Good, they absolutely should. This is a game, not life and death.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
            Horrible optics.

Football is a violent sport. Nobody wants to see just how violent it is. Especially executives.
            This is a horrible post. This comes across and saying “We don’t care about these players as they are only objects for our entertainment”.
            COMING SOON...

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Is it though? I don’t know about you, but I barely follow Bills preseason games and I don’t pay attention to any other teams. I wouldn’t have known about these horrible injuries if they didn’t make headlines because the games got cancelled. It’s the right thing to do but it also puts more eyes on gruesome injuries, which is not good for the league or the sport in general.

The league is going to have to develop some protocols for making up canceled games and/or how to handle cancelled games in the standings. Preseason- meh. But they need to be prepared if it happens again in the reg season.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• cas22
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                Is it though? I don’t know about you, but I barely follow Bills preseason games and I don’t pay attention to any other teams. I wouldn’t have known about these horrible injuries if they didn’t make headlines because the games got cancelled. It’s the right thing to do but it also puts more eyes on gruesome injuries, which is not good for the league or the sport in general.

The league is going to have to develop some protocols for making up canceled games and/or how to handle cancelled games in the standings. Preseason- meh. But they need to be prepared if it happens again in the reg season.
                not gonna happen in the regular season unless a incident like Hamlin's happens again.. I sure hope it doesn't happen again..

Comment

• sahlensguy
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                  This is a horrible post. This comes across and saying “We don’t care about these players as they are only objects for our entertainment”.
                  Sorry if the reality of the violent sport of football makes you uncomfortable looking at your own beastiality in the mirror but if we were all fully humane, none of us would probably support the game. The game exploits players through pop Warner through college for money and lifelong medical issues follow many players throughout their lives.

Cancelling games brings the violent reality of football to the forefront and it's terrible optics for the sport.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by cas22 View Post
                    not gonna happen in the regular season unless a incident like Hamlin's happens again.. I sure hope it doesn't happen again..
                    Earl Campbell's most famous run probably (the one against the Rams where he had his shirt ripped off) began with a helmet to chest ram of a hit that was way more violent than the Hamlin hit. Life is fragile and players live on the edge, every down.

Comment

• Gibby 2.0
                      The things I get you to say
                      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                      No. They won't call off a regular or post season game unless a player dies like Damar did last year. Should they? Yeah, they probably should. These guys' lives are far more important than a 3 hour spectacle. Will they? No, there's way too much money on the line for the league and for Vegas and turf accountants from one end of the country to the other.* Do keep in mind this team Made Pittsburgh play 15 straight games without a bye, forced Cleveland to play a playoff game withoout its coaches and a lot of its starters (which made its stomping of Pittsburgh even more pleasing to watch than it would have been already), forced us to play a Tuesday night game, and forced Denver to start a reserve wr at QB all during a global pandemic. Preseason games? They called off at least one Hall of Fame game due to lightning, they wiped the slate clean in 2020, and they called off games for serious injury and frankly I fully support NFLPA and the league offices and all who were responsible for not resuming these preseason games. Preseason football is pointless, and it has been for a long time. I remember a preseason game when the Iggles still played at the Vet that got called off because the turf there was deemed too dangerous to play on.

If I had my way, I would extend the season to 18 games and have two bye weeks, (I just hate having an odd number of regular season games) and reduce pre season games to 2 (a home and away) so that each team could have family day. Starters would play no more than quarter in these, you know for the kids, and the road game would be their backups all game long. If you can't evaluate talent in two games against near peer competition you should not be a GM or coach. I'd also ditch the probowl completely.
                      Insert whimsical line here

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Sorry if the reality of the violent sport of football makes you uncomfortable looking at your own beastiality in the mirror but if we were all fully humane, none of us would probably support the game. The game exploits players through pop Warner through college for money and lifelong medical issues follow many players throughout their lives.

Cancelling games brings the violent reality of football to the forefront and it's terrible optics for the sport.
                        It absolutely should be at the forefront The game is extremely exploitative and literally takes years off peoples lives. That should be on display weekly.
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                          • Apr 2004

Chuck Hughes was the first back in 1971 and he was not successfully revived. He was a receiver for the Lions who were playing against the Bills. There are no two teams so cursed, are there?

Comment

• sahlensguy
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                            It absolutely should be at the forefront The game is extremely exploitative and literally takes years off peoples lives. That should be on display weekly.
                            I'm not disagreeing that it should be in the forefront, but that doesn't mean it's good optics, especially in the eyes of the game's executives.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

I'm not disagreeing that it should be in the forefront, but that doesn't mean it's good optics, especially in the eyes of the game's executives.
                              It’d be a real shane if the fans actually realized they are the ones with the power in this equation. Won’t ever happen, which is why the optics don’t matter.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X