killabuf
09-06-2023, 12:30 PM
Thoughts ? let’s see what the kids got. Go bills

Woodman
09-06-2023, 12:31 PM
Congrats ... :gobills:

Ed
09-06-2023, 12:33 PM
Tyrel Dodson was pretty brutal in preseason, so not sure they had much of a choice. Bernard should at least be better in coverage, but this is one position that looks weak.

notacon
09-06-2023, 12:42 PM
Good.

A HUGE downgrade from last season, but hopefully Bernard will grow into the position.

Forward_Lateral
09-06-2023, 01:42 PM
Good.

A HUGE downgrade from last season, but hopefully Bernard will grow into the position.

All he has to do to be as good as the previous player at that spot is not run into the backs of linemen, not take horrible angles of pursuit, and not play half his size.

Huge downgrade my ass.

OpIv37
09-06-2023, 02:20 PM
Doesn’t look like there were any other options. Hopefully he’s ready.

Maybe give Poyer the green sticker for the first few games though…

Buffalogic
09-06-2023, 03:18 PM
Keeping the seat warm until Kirksey is up to speed. Dodson stinks.

Woodman
09-06-2023, 03:26 PM

Sounds about right. :gobills:

OpIv37
09-06-2023, 03:27 PM

Thank why not just cut Dodson and move Kirksey to the full roster now?

Buffalogic
09-06-2023, 03:30 PM
Thank why not just cut Dodson and move Kirksey to the full roster now?Not enough depth. Dodson will be cut eventually.

Woodman
09-06-2023, 03:32 PM

When it's time.

Chet
09-06-2023, 03:49 PM
All he has to do to be as good as the previous player at that spot is not run into the backs of linemen, not take horrible angles of pursuit, and not play half his size.

Huge downgrade my ass.
Or not bite on PA 100% of the time

Cali512
09-06-2023, 04:11 PM
I remember getting ripped apart when we drafted him and said his best play of his career was at MLB, then said hes Edmunds replacement this season.

Novacane
09-06-2023, 04:38 PM
Good.

We don't know that yet. Hopefully he surprises us all.

YardRat
09-06-2023, 05:40 PM
I'd rather see Klein against the Jets just for the cerebral match-up vs Rodgers, but if Bernard can bring an A-grade mental game Monday night it will be nice.

Skooby
09-06-2023, 08:09 PM

Huge downgrade my ass.

We know he’s smarter than the previous player, everyone on the team as well.

jamze132
09-07-2023, 05:20 AM
Good.

Huge downgrade? :lmao:

notacon
09-07-2023, 01:34 PM

A rhetorical question I suspect.

It would be dumb to "cut Dodson and move Kirksey to the full roster now”. Dodson is experienced in McD’s system and Kirksey has hardly had any time with the team.

This is not fantasy football where one plugs in players and use irrelevant stats to determine winners or losers.

No one here has any idea if Kirksey is worth anything. His recent history does not bode well for his viability as anything more than a depth player.

In March 2020 he was signed by Green Bay to a two year contract worth $16M. He was released after only one year.

He then signed with woefully bad Houston in March 2021 (after being released by GB) He was named starter and played 8 games before being placed on IR in Nov 2021. He was activated on Dec 4, 2021, playing almost all snaps the rest of that year.

March 2022, he signed a two year contact with Houston ($5M total for two years), played 97% of the snaps, but then, just like in Green Bay, was released after only one year of a two year deal.

Sure looks like an aging LB who is barely hanging on. Sure, he could replace Dodson on the roster. But to expect him to be anything more than an old depth player (that one of the worst teams in the NFL does not want) needs to tap the brakes.

Forward_Lateral
09-07-2023, 01:41 PM

Why would you if Kirksey isn't ready? A.) you save money by keeping him on the practice squad. B.) If he's not ready to play, then you are wasting a roster spot.

Mace
09-07-2023, 05:41 PM
Rooting for Bernard, suspect he's going to be injured a lot. If so, it's on McBeane, my goodwill is used up.

GreedoII
09-08-2023, 07:18 AM
Speed. He will be like a safety running around . Relying on the rotational guys up front to handle the run with the assistance of Poyer/Rapp/Johnson/Hyde/Milano creeping up

Woodman
09-08-2023, 07:21 AM
Hopefully we get some production out of the position.

notacon
09-08-2023, 01:18 PM
I remember getting ripped apart when we drafted him and said his best play of his career was at MLB, then said hes Edmunds replacement this season.
Almost missed this Cali.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! You called that one spot on. I was one of those that scoffed at the suggestion.

You were right and I was wrong! Good call.

I thought that Bernard was better suited for Milano’s weak side LB instead of MLB.

With that said, we don’t really know just yet if Bernard will be an able MLB. You have also opined that Dorian Williams would make a great MLB (and if my memory serves) also suggested that if the competition for MLB was “legit” he would have a good chance.

Hopefully, Bernard is up to the task and develops into a reliable starter THIS YEAR! Also hopefully, Dorian Williams does the same...if not a starter (in place of Milano) but superior depth.

It’s never a bad thing to have young players on the rise.

TigerJ
09-08-2023, 01:46 PM
My guess is his strength is probably going to be pass defense, and being small, there is a risk of him getting beat up a bit. My guess is the Bills are hoping to get Kirksey up to speed quickly so he's available if Bernard falters or gets hurt.

Woodman
09-09-2023, 11:13 AM
My guess is his strength is probably going to be pass defense, and being small, there is a risk of him getting beat up a bit. My guess is the Bills are hoping to get Kirksey up to speed quickly so he's available if Bernard falters or gets hurt.
He's getting his opportunity that's for sure ......

daryls61
09-09-2023, 11:45 AM
Was not a fan of the Bernard pick or the Williams pick this year but Bernard is starting so lets see how he does. The key to the defense will be pass rush so hopefully Groot and Floyd can pressure QB's on a regular basis. Maybe Oliver evolves as well. It's an offense league so as long as we continue to put up 30 PPG, we will be a team to reckon with.

Woodman
09-09-2023, 11:48 AM
Was not a fan of the Bernard pick or the Williams pick this year but Bernard is starting so lets see how he does. The key to the defense will be pass rush so hopefully Groot and Floyd can pressure QB's on a regular basis. Maybe Oliver evolves as well. It's an offense league so as long as we continue to put up 30 PPG, we will be a team to reckon with.

I reckon that's true. :cheers:

TigerJ
09-24-2023, 07:52 PM
He's getting better with each passing game.