• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chet
    Allenhu Joshbar
    • Feb 2017

Things you need to see to have realistic hope this year

Do we have talent? Yes. Much of it is aging and on their last (effective) legs, but a proper coaching job could still get this team to a SB. We do need a complete philosophical change though, and our coaches can instill confidence (in the fans) and show growth by a number of methods:

1. BLITZ. Despite the high picks committed to the DL and activity in FA over the last few years to address the position group, we still have nobody we can trust to get home on the QB when it matters, so long as Von is out. For once in this coaching staff’s lives, please incorporate some blitzes. I really don’t care if the corners get burned a couple times, we just need to see some life and aggressiveness. I ****ing hate Tampa 2 and Frazier’s defenses. For the love of God, show you have a pulse and mix things up, please.

2. Run the ball early and often. We need to see if McGovern and Torrence are who we thought they were. OLinemen by nature love to run block, just like defensive players love to blitz. Stop neutering players’ joy for the game.

3. Utilize 12 personnel and let’s develop the short passing game. We have the players to do it, so no excuses. Gobble up the first downs instead of constantly going for home runs.

4. This is greedy, I’ll admit, but I never understood why teams don’t go for 2 more often, or at least practice it a bunch in the early part of the season. A couple teams have done this, but sparingly. With our unicorn QB, TE’s, 2 of our 3 RBs being power guys and Stef, we should be pioneering the normalization of the 2PC attempt, much like Golden State forever changed the NBA with the 3PA when metrics showed it was more efficient. Mark my words, this will happen eventually. It would be nice if we were to be the ones since we have the personnel.

5. Creativity on offense. Be it different formations, motion, lining up under center, ANYTHING. I understand only a select few can have a Reid, Shanahan, or McVay, but goddamn can our coaches at least watch what these guys have put on film and draw some inspiration?

6. Cut the clapping. If I see that ginger clap again after back-to-back Spencer Brown drive-killing penalties I’m going to break my TV. He needs to lay into players when they’re stupid and unfocused. As long as you’re not doing it all the time and are judicious with this tactic, it can be quite effective. It’s called accountability, which is apparently the dirtiest word on this forum, for some.

Player changes I need to see:

-We need to have either a WR2 or a TE avg at least 5 rec/game this year for us to be contenders. It can be Kincaid, Gabe, anybody. We need that consistent 2nd option that teams have to key on which will open up the running game and also ease things on Stef.

-Need that long lost sack artist (at least with Von out half the year). I love Greg so far and think he’s developing into a well-rounded player against both pass and run, but I’m not sure he’s that guy until I actually see it. Will Floyd step up?

-Our IOL needs to come to play. Right now we have serious potential there. Our OT situation is what it is—disastrous—and there’s just no way around it so no use wishing for changes until next year. With that said, we need McGovern and Torrence to ball. Run the ball and give them confidence.

imo, we need to see a lot of these things in the first few weeks of the season, even if there’s growing pains. That’s the only proof we’ll have that the same old tired coaching mentality has changed.

Go Bills
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: Things you need to see to have realistic hope this year

A defense that doesn’t crumble at the end of games

Comment

• Kenny
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Chet View Post
      Do we have talent? Yes. Much of it is aging and on their last (effective) legs, but a proper coaching job could still get this team to a SB. We do need a complete philosophical change though, and our coaches can instill confidence (in the fans) and show growth by a number of methods:
      Outside of Josh though, do we really (at least on a relative basis vs. other top teams)? Our defense especially, but I've always thought our team was one of those 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts' type of team

What I really want to see this season:
      • Better playcalling from Dorsey (take the short stuff if it's there. Defenses are going to keep everything in front of them until they start getting burned up front. Reid and Mahommes figured this out last year, hoping we do too)
      • Better decision making from Josh (hero ball came back and some really bone headed throws last year)
      • White needs to get back to form (I know he was coming back from injury last year, but it wasnt good)
      • Play better man/press coverage (otherwise our defense is going to keep getting torched by Miami)
      • OL improvement - obvious, but needs to be stated

Comment

• Turf
        • Jul 2002

Scheme receivers open. Develop a quick release passing game.
        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

Better playcalling on 1st down on offense.

Tighten up on third and long on defense.

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

Would like to see a more consitently aggressive and disruptive defense. Live and Die by the Sword and have a short memory. That alone can help Josh Allen level up.

Comment

• notacon
              • Aug 2012

1. BLITZ. Despite the high picks committed to the DL and activity in FA over the last few years to address the position group, we still have nobody we can trust to get home on the QB when it matters, so long as Von is out. For once in this coaching staff’s lives, please incorporate some blitzes. I really don’t care if the corners get burned a couple times, we just need to see some life and aggressiveness. I ****ing hate Tampa 2 and Frazier’s defenses. For the love of God, show you have a pulse and mix things up, please.

2. Run the ball early and often. We need to see if McGovern and Torrence are who we thought they were. OLinemen by nature love to run block, just like defensive players love to blitz. Stop neutering players’ joy for the game.

3. Utilize 12 personnel and let’s develop the short passing game. We have the players to do it, so no excuses. Gobble up the first downs instead of constantly going for home runs.

4. This is greedy, I’ll admit, but I never understood why teams don’t go for 2 more often, or at least practice it a bunch in the early part of the season. A couple teams have done this, but sparingly. With our unicorn QB, TE’s, 2 of our 3 RBs being power guys and Stef, we should be pioneering the normalization of the 2PC attempt, much like Golden State forever changed the NBA with the 3PA when metrics showed it was more efficient. Mark my words, this will happen eventually. It would be nice if we were to be the ones since we have the personnel.

5. Creativity on offense. Be it different formations, motion, lining up under center, ANYTHING. I understand only a select few can have a Reid, Shanahan, or McVay, but goddamn can our coaches at least watch what these guys have put on film and draw some inspiration?

6. Cut the clapping. If I see that ginger clap again after back-to-back Spencer Brown drive-killing penalties I’m going to break my TV. He needs to lay into players when they’re stupid and unfocused. As long as you’re not doing it all the time and are judicious with this tactic, it can be quite effective. It’s called accountability, which is apparently the dirtiest word on this forum, for some.

Player changes I need to see:

-We need to have either a WR2 or a TE avg at least 5 rec/game this year for us to be contenders. It can be Kincaid, Gabe, anybody. We need that consistent 2nd option that teams have to key on which will open up the running game and also ease things on Stef.

-Need that long lost sack artist (at least with Von out half the year). I love Greg so far and think he’s developing into a well-rounded player against both pass and run, but I’m not sure he’s that guy until I actually see it. Will Floyd step up?

-Our IOL needs to come to play. Right now we have serious potential there. Our OT situation is what it is—disastrous—and there’s just no way around it so no use wishing for changes until next year. With that said, we need McGovern and Torrence to ball. Run the ball and give them confidence.

imo, we need to see a lot of these things in the first few weeks of the season, even if there’s growing pains. That’s the only proof we’ll have that the same old tired coaching mentality has changed.

Go Bills
              Nice analysis. I don’t agree with every word, but generally well done.

Comment

• sukie
                Seriously?
                • Sep 2012

Consistent use of the middle of the field. Sidelines … okay you like calling them and toe sticks are great…MIDDLE OF THE FIELD. Please.

Comment

• Novacane
                  • Jul 2002

The is never going to stop. It irritates me too but its part of who McD is so thats being nitpicky IMO. Other than that good post!

Comment

• Chet
                    Allenhu Joshbar
                    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                    The is never going to stop. It irritates me too but its part of who McD is so thats being nitpicky IMO. Other than that good post!
                    Can’t help it, I see Jason Garrett every time. Nobody respects a serial clapper

Comment

• Novacane
                      • Jul 2002

Can’t help it, I see Jason Garrett every time. Nobody respects a serial clapper
                      Oh, I hate it too. I want to punch him when he claps at bad plays.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                        • Mar 2015

Humble and hungry.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

---Josh Allen making the leap I expected last season.
                          ---Competence from the offensive line.
                          ---Hell-raising and game-wrecking from the defensive front.
                          ---Bernard playing better than the last guy.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Woodman
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Apr 2014

more safety blitzes.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Mace
                              Haha...yeah you think so ?
                              • Mar 2013

For me anyway....
                              - I need to see McGovern isn't another of their OL failures, Kromer actually adds something, and the OL can at least slow people down.
                              - Motion and slants would be nice.
                              - Stop with the maddening bear hug tackle attempts.
                              - Stop the bendy on defense.
                              - Stop good running backs.
                              - Show me you didn't fumble this MLB issue.
                              - Stop the timid, be aggressive and hungry.
                              - Learn to manage aggressive defenses with short timing throws.
                              - Come out crisp and professional like you've done this successfully before.
                              - Rein in Allen's rushing before he gets hurt. He's the jewel....treat him so.
                              - More Jim Johnson defense.
                              - Let the running game loose when it starts rolling instead of throttling it.

Comment

Working...
                              X