PDA

View Full Version : coaching decisions

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-12-2023, 09:00 AM
two of them in particular bothered me last night

1) the initial 4th and 2 when we kicked the field goal. I think a good message would have been to go for it
2) the declining the penalty to make a 43 yard field goal. I'd agree with that mentality if you were playing Mahomes because you NEVER wanna give him a do over.
but Wilson wasn't exactly lighting it up. What made you think he was gonna convert on a 3rd and about 20?

Woodman
09-12-2023, 09:10 AM
1) Could not AGREE MORE!!!!!

2) Same as the 1st.

Pretty sure I made these comments in another thread.

I would add as 3) in the 2nd half you change things up a bit you know the opposing defense is gonna make them ..... I wanted more Murray and Harris take some of the heat off Josh and let the game find him.

That Jet defense can really bring pressure you must account for that.

Canadian'eh!
09-12-2023, 09:14 AM
1) Could not AGREE MORE!!!!!

2) Same as the 1st.

Pretty sure I made these comments in another thread.

I would add as 3) in the 2nd half you change things up a bit you know the opposing defense is gonna make them ..... I wanted more Murray and Harris take some of the heat off Josh and let the game find him.

That Jet defense can really bring pressure you must account for that.

4. why would you EVER have undersized Mitch Morse trying to block Quinnen Williams one on one?

sahlensguy
09-12-2023, 09:16 AM
1) I was happy taking the 3 points. Rodgers just went out, so you knew that their offense would suffer.

2) agreed.

Woodman
09-12-2023, 09:16 AM
4. why would you EVER have undersized Mitch Morse trying to block Quinnen Williams one on one?

:cheers:
Nobody that I can think of can block that kid one on one ..... great player period.

sukie
09-12-2023, 09:36 AM
That’s nitpicking. Easily they could have gotten 12-15 of it making it a closer FG.

decision not to adjust anything at halftime is maddening. The team goes in with a lead then tries to coast the second half.

is stickboy afraid to call the same play 2 times in a game? There were nice plays strung together prior to the senseless bomb pick to Diggs.

Thurmal
09-12-2023, 10:13 AM
It's kinda funny that McDermott is conservative to a fault and Allen is recklessly aggressive. They're like the worst possible match for a HC/QB. Probably don't like one another, and that is where a lot of this weird "There is something wrong with this team's overall vibe" feeling comes from.

kingJofNYC
09-12-2023, 10:16 AM
I don't have a problem with declining the penalty because last nights crew led the league in holding/interference flags, so they throw a soft flag and they keep the drive going.

Agree about kicking on 4th and 2.

Woodman
09-12-2023, 10:18 AM
All that talk about how laser focused Allen was coming into the 2023 season fell awfully flat Monday night. He was, in a word, awful against the Jets. Throwing into double coverage down the middle of the field, not once, but twice. To be fair, the Bills’ offensive line is no match for the Jets’ defensive front, but that doesn’t totally excuse Allen. According to football analyst Warren Sharp, Allen was pressured on just 26% of his dropbacks Monday, which was the 10th-lowest of any quarterback in Week 1. Despite that, he was hit nine times (third most) and sacked five times (fifth most). That speaks to decision making. Allen went 8 of 9 for 54 yards in the first quarter, then finished the game 21 of 32, averaging 5.7 yards per attempt and throwing three picks in the process. Stefon Diggs looked every bit the part of a No. 1 receiver, finishing with 10 catches for 102 yards and a touchdown, but he didn’t get much help, as nobody else finished with more than four catches.’

~ BuffaloNews

Mr. Pink
09-12-2023, 10:31 AM
I have no issue with them taking that penalty on the Jets. They have Legatron. He's gonna make a FG from 53. The Jets on a third and 20 in that situation are likely just going to run the ball, and seeing we couldn't stop the run last night, I'm sure they woulda got that 10 back anyway.

yordad
09-12-2023, 10:33 AM
I thought the run call on 2nd and 13 in overtime was stupid. Put the game in your star QBs hands.

Typ0
09-12-2023, 10:36 AM
two of them in particular bothered me last night

1) the initial 4th and 2 when we kicked the field goal. I think a good message would have been to go for it
2) the declining the penalty to make a 43 yard field goal. I'd agree with that mentality if you were playing Mahomes because you NEVER wanna give him a do over.
but Wilson wasn't exactly lighting it up. What made you think he was gonna convert on a 3rd and about 20?

Aikman said that about the field goal too and I thought he was way off base! The question on going for it there is when you are too far away to put points on the board you go for it ... the option for the 3 points is different and it was wise to kick this FG.

sahlensguy
09-12-2023, 01:06 PM
It's kinda funny that McDermott is conservative to a fault and Allen is recklessly aggressive. They're like the worst possible match for a HC/QB. Probably don't like one another, and that is where a lot of this weird "There is something wrong with this team's overall vibe" feeling comes from.

They probably like each other fine. For one, they're both obscenely rich and for two, what they both have in common is their lack of feel for the game. Unlike Diggs, who probably hates them both.

Woodman
09-13-2023, 01:20 PM
I have no issue with them taking that penalty on the Jets. They have Legatron. He's gonna make a FG from 53. The Jets on a third and 20 in that situation are likely just going to run the ball, and seeing we couldn't stop the run last night, I'm sure they woulda got that 10 back anyway.

What?

3rd down at the 35/36 yard line .......... how does that calculate into a 53 yard fg ....... they gotta run a play.

The Jets could have taken a sack a run for a loss a fumble a pick. :scratch:

Woodman
09-13-2023, 01:23 PM
I thought the run call on 2nd and 13 in overtime was stupid. Put the game in your star QBs hands.

That was totally stupid and telegraphed.

I would have loved a toss to Kincaid instead.