PDA

View Full Version : Bills need someone who can get Josh Allen to calm down during games

Woodman
09-13-2023, 04:01 PM
After the game, Allen admitted it was the “same ****.” That he forced too many throws. That he did too many of the things he had done last year, when expectations of a Super Bowl win and an MVP trophy became a season with a few too many struggles and a 27-10 division-round loss at home to the Bengals.

The solution is simple. It’s obvious. Allen needs someone who can and will look him in the eye and tell him to calm down. But there are two problems with that.

First, offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey doesn’t seem to be the calming type — especially not in light of the way he reacted (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJgc-Njed90&t=24s) to last year’s loss to the Dolphins. Second, head coach Sean McDermott has little or no chance to talk to Allen when the offense is on the sideline, because McDermott is now calling the defensive plays.

Typ0
09-13-2023, 04:14 PM
Josh Allen needs to calm his own ass down ....

Woodman
09-13-2023, 04:37 PM
The stats weren’t incredible for either team, but glancing at them without knowing the score, one might believe the Buffalo Bills (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/) exited victorious. Until, they caught sight of the turnovers.
For the Bills to hold any opponent to one touchdown in regulation, it’s fair to assume that an offense led by Josh Allen should find more than enough opportunity to put plenty of points on the scoreboard. And opportunity was plenty — but instead of points, four drives ended in turnovers saddled to Allen.
Josh Allen doesn’t need to do it all himself, but he very well may be operating this way — having gotten used to it out of past necessity. There will be better days for Allen. Perhaps some of the best days are yet to come this year and beyond — for the team and one of the sport’s most faithful undying fan bases.

sahlensguy
09-13-2023, 05:10 PM
Needs therapy...

Surely he's been told to calm down numerous times, and for a couple of years now. He needs someone to be able to get him to calm down. Therapy takes two to tango. Allen seems willing, but McD hasn't been able to get through. Dorsey hasn't been able to get through. Their needs to be a change to someone who can.

Mad Max
09-13-2023, 05:28 PM

Correct. He’s a grown ass man. He’s a veteran. He has elite physical God given talents. He has plenty of weapons. He has plenty of experience in making the same stupid mistakes.

time for him to use his neurons as much as he uses his testosterone. 50/50 that and the Bills will succeed.

YardRat
09-13-2023, 05:45 PM
Yeah, it's on Josh. He shouldn't need a babysitter at this point.

sahlensguy
09-13-2023, 05:48 PM
Correct. He’s a grown ass man. He’s a veteran. He has elite physical God given talents. He has plenty of weapons. He has plenty of experience in making the same stupid mistakes.

time for him to use his neurons as much as he uses his testosterone. 50/50 that and the Bills will succeed.

Grown ass men can't benefit from therapy?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it's on Josh. He shouldn't need a babysitter at this point.

Well, what if he does...

sahlensguy
09-13-2023, 06:06 PM

Huh?

Tom Brady, Shaq, Kobe MJ etc etc all gave credit to sports physcologist for their success.

sahlensguy
09-13-2023, 06:12 PM
Not for the too proud men, but The Bills do employ a full time physcologist btw. As do the Sabres...

Forward_Lateral
09-13-2023, 08:47 PM
Sports psychologist. Also keep your dick in your pants

Saratoga Slim
09-13-2023, 08:53 PM
Race horses often have comfort animals in their stall to keep them calm. Maybe we should all pitch in and send Josh a bench goat.

Borosai
09-13-2023, 11:18 PM
Allen is the ultimate competitor and football player. That's why we have so many highlights and crazy plays to look back on. However, he needs help resisting his natural tendencies to not give up and make a play. I was hoping he would figure it out on his own, but... :refuse:

Dorsey doesn't seem to be the calm type, so I don't know if he can help, but someone in his ear, every drive, maybe every play, reminding him to be smart and protect the ball. I swear he must black out while playing.

YardRat
09-14-2023, 05:58 AM
Grown ass men can't benefit from therapy?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, what if he does...

Huh?

Tom Brady, Shaq, Kobe MJ etc etc all gave credit to sports physcologist for their success.

Not for the too proud men, but The Bills do employ a full time physcologist btw. As do the Sabres...

The thread topic is specifically "during games".

If he feels a psychologist during the week would help him be a better player, I would support that 100%. But the sideline on Sunday is no place for a psychologist, that's when and where Josh takes ownership.

Bill Cody
09-14-2023, 09:45 AM
Isn't that the QB coaches job?

sahlensguy
09-14-2023, 10:49 AM
The thread topic is specifically "during games".

If he feels a psychologist during the week would help him be a better player, I would support that 100%. But the sideline on Sunday is no place for a psychologist, that's when and where Josh takes ownership.

The thread specifically about getting Josh to be calm during games. Not at a club. Not at a TSA checkpoint. Not at a long checkout line at the grocery. But during games. Who and when someone gets in his ear to get him to do that is not specified.

He admits that it's an issue yet he still has the same issue. He can't change on his own. And unfortunately, McD, Dorsey, Brady, Diggs, nor Morse hasn't gotten through to him either.

The people in his ear during the week, and during game day, whether on the sidelines or on the field needs a change.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
09-14-2023, 02:50 PM
Maybe his ass is not fully grown. Ask his GF

Typ0
09-14-2023, 04:22 PM
Huh?

yeah well I would agree it could be valuable...but I listened to the post-game presser and Allen has absolutely zero strategies in place to aid his mindfullness during a game.

And I would extend this to the whole team they basically have a bunch of coaches yelping about their mindfullness but have not employed anything effective to teach them how to understand and/or achieve it.

To me it is more likely the sports psychologist is there to collect a big fat paycheck and enable the coaches to do some lip service about how well they treat the team with the psychologist there after everything they have gone through. If that is not the case then why doesn't Allen have cognitive strategies in place to aid his mindfullness? Why doesn't the whole team have that and done in a way that it ties the team together?

McDermott needs to understand the reset different than he does. The scope of the reset to McDermott is when the game is over and they need to get back mentally so they can start their preparation again -- I would bet he's got some things built into the beginning of the week to address this. Unfortunately, that is the wide angle of the reset while the narrow angle is happening in an ongoing basis during a game. Getting back to that baseline and working from there is tantamount to the 90% mental battle you are going to fight through during a game. It is very complicated in football by the amount of bodies on the field doing highy choreographed things than other sports.

Our players don't engage in the individual work and nothing is built into the team culture that values every guys reasponsibility to work from this mindfull place every snap of the ball. It's very hard and never going to be perfect but you have to strive for it. Our team, as a result, is bipolar and dependent on the state of Josh Allen's brain. When things are going well they are all very good at rolling with it. When things aren't going well they all hit a brick wall and there is nothing there to refocus and pull each other back into the right moment.

Allen has been mismanaged since he got here. For god sakes their mantra is "humble and hungry" then they make choices that clearly indicate they don't want to bruise Allen's ego in any way. Do you see how dichotomous those two things are? Humble and hungry is going to take some breaking down and rebuilding for most people. Stop doing lip service to bull**** and start putting your money where your mouth is. Why do you think they are like this? Because they are ruled by fear and coach from a perspective of fear.

They basically throw up a stinker 1 in 5 games. I hate to tell you accepting that is going to be a long wait to string together enough wins for a championship. Winning an ugly game is a good W is a crock of ****! We need to play consistently and don't ... and a largely unnoticed consequence of that is we don't build the wherewithall and resillience it is going to take to win a SB.

sahlensguy
09-14-2023, 05:13 PM
yeah well I would agree it could be valuable...but I listened to the post-game presser and Allen has absolutely zero strategies in place to aid his mindfullness during a game.

And I would extend this to the whole team they basically have a bunch of coaches yelping about their mindfullness but have not employed anything effective to teach them how to understand and/or achieve it.

To me it is more likely the sports psychologist is there to collect a big fat paycheck and enable the coaches to do some lip service about how well they treat the team with the psychologist there after everything they have gone through. If that is not the case then why doesn't Allen have cognitive strategies in place to aid his mindfullness? Why doesn't the whole team have that and done in a way that it ties the team together?

McDermott needs to understand the reset different than he does. The scope of the reset to McDermott is when the game is over and they need to get back mentally so they can start their preparation again -- I would bet he's got some things built into the beginning of the week to address this. Unfortunately, that is the wide angle of the reset while the narrow angle is happening in an ongoing basis during a game. Getting back to that baseline and working from there is tantamount to the 90% mental battle you are going to fight through during a game. It is very complicated in football by the amount of bodies on the field doing highy choreographed things than other sports.

Our players don't engage in the individual work and nothing is built into the team culture that values every guys reasponsibility to work from this mindfull place every snap of the ball. It's very hard and never going to be perfect but you have to strive for it. Our team, as a result, is bipolar and dependent on the state of Josh Allen's brain. When things are going well they are all very good at rolling with it. When things aren't going well they all hit a brick wall and there is nothing there to refocus and pull each other back into the right moment.

Allen has been mismanaged since he got here. For god sakes their mantra is "humble and hungry" then they make choices that clearly indicate they don't want to bruise Allen's ego in any way. Do you see how dichotomous those two things are? Humble and hungry is going to take some breaking down and rebuilding for most people. Stop doing lip service to bull**** and start putting your money where your mouth is. Why do you think they are like this? Because they are ruled by fear and coach from a perspective of fear.

They basically throw up a stinker 1 in 5 games. I hate to tell you accepting that is going to be a long wait to string together enough wins for a championship. Winning an ugly game is a good W is a crock of ****! We need to play consistently and don't ... and a largely unnoticed consequence of that is we don't build the wherewithall and resillience it is going to take to win a SB.

0-5 in OT is more than an outlining circumstance. It's a trend and it's for a reason. .500 against teams with winning records. That's pathetic. The coaching staff lacks the fortitude when the going gets tough and it manifedts on the field. They have squandered Allen's potential from the beginning and left his raw ability to build on its own. Here we are again with total dependence on Allen's own growth and performance, while managing none of it successfully. It's going to be more of the same until someone comes along to get in his head or until his body starts breaking down. Whichever comes first is anyone's guess.

Chet
09-15-2023, 02:23 AM
Race horses often have comfort animals in their stall to keep them calm. Maybe we should all pitch in and send Josh a bench goat.
Putting Spencer Brown on the bench would calm him

acehole
09-15-2023, 05:27 PM
A Horse whisperer...

Seriously one thing about this I like ken Dorsey innovative play calling.

Why they did not attach the edges more with Cook was a bit baffling on Dorsey part however..
We had some success Murry Up the middle.... why not do that more?

What he sucks at is when to call what with whom.

Why not warm josh up with short passing to start a game... Nothing gets a qb to settle into the game with high percentage play calling first lest say 10 plays.
Keeps him not worried in the pocket and gets a rhythm. Does a bunch for the online too.

That falls on Dorsey

After the game, Allen admitted it was the “same ****.” That he forced too many throws. That he did too many of the things he had done last year, when expectations of a Super Bowl win and an MVP trophy became a season with a few too many struggles and a 27-10 division-round loss at home to the Bengals.

The solution is simple. It’s obvious. Allen needs someone who can and will look him in the eye and tell him to calm down. But there are two problems with that.

First, offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey doesn’t seem to be the calming type — especially not in light of the way he reacted (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJgc-Njed90&t=24s) to last year’s loss to the Dolphins. Second, head coach Sean McDermott has little or no chance to talk to Allen when the offense is on the sideline, because McDermott is now calling the defensive plays.

DetoxTent
09-15-2023, 06:16 PM
Putting Spencer Brown on the bench would calm him

Bingo. A Beane whiff with an anger management issue.

notacon
09-16-2023, 01:07 PM
Interestingly, an article today in The Athletic, written by Matthew Fairburn, addressed this very subject. He cites a coach that has, in a way, acted like a “QB Whisperer” for Brett Favre and Josh Allen.....Leslie Frazier....

How do you tame a wild quarterback like Josh Allen? 3 offensive coaches weigh in (https://theathletic.com/4867821/2023/09/16/josh-allen-bills-quarterback-turnovers/)

By the time Brett Favre became a Minnesota Viking, he was already 40 years old and had started more than 300 games in his NFL (https://theathletic.com/nfl/) career. He had never thrown fewer than 13 interceptions or had a season with an interception percentage lower than 2.3 percent. Then-Vikings (https://theathletic.com/nfl/team/vikings/) head coach Brad Childress would have been justified in thinking he wouldn’t be able to rein in the adventurous nature of Favre’s game.

Yet at 40 years old, Favre had the highest completion percentage of his career and threw for 4,202 yards and 33 touchdowns. He did all of that while throwing seven interceptions and having an interception percentage of 1.3, both career bests.

So maybe there’s hope for Josh Allen (https://theathletic.com/nfl/player/josh-allen-9zLTUSPpy6pFa4xs/) after all

…snip…

Childress didn’t have a magic message for Favre that made him see the light, but it was more a combination of factors, starting with Leslie Frazier, who was the Vikings’ defensive coordinator at the time.

“Leslie is his own inimitable way, Mr. Rational, quiet, mild-mannered, he would take Brett aside and say, ‘Hey, there’s nothing wrong with punting the ball once in a while,’” Childress said. “It goes back to Tony Dungy talking about taking care of the football and taking away the football when he was in Indianapolis. Peyton Manning was in the front row and his eyes barely looked up but Tony was intentional about saying, ‘It’s okay to punt. We’ll play defense.’ Peyton Manning wanted to make every play, too, just in a different way than a Favre or an Allen.”

Frazier was the Bills’ defensive coordinator from 2017 to 2022 but left the team this offseason. Players universally praised his calm demeanor. You wouldn’t immediately think of Frazier as someone who could impact the franchise quarterback, but that’s the type of presence he had in Minnesota.

“I don’t have any doubt if Leslie was there this week he would have somewhere in the back of the bus or on the plane, somewhere he would have had some good meaningful words for Josh Allen that would have calmed his waters a little bit,” Childress said. “I don’t have any doubt about that. I’m not talking about Xs and Os. I’m talking about being a human being.

“If there’s anybody that could right the ship or calm the waters it would be Leslie. That’s just the way he’s wired.”

The psychological component is as important as the Xs and Os in Allen’s case. His numbers over the last three seasons speak for themselves. He’s capable of playing like an MVP candidate when he’s on his game. But part of what makes him great is what can make him prone to mistakes, much like Favre. That can be a maddening ride to be on as a coach — or fan — of one of those quarterbacks.

“I will tell you this, the highs aren’t as high as the lows are low,” Childress said. “That’s for sure. I know they’re feeling that in Buffalo.”

More…

Despite the lame dissing of Frazier from too many so-called Bills “fans”, it’s obvious that they don’t have a very good idea of what makes good NFL coach.

Woodman
09-16-2023, 03:56 PM
To become a great QB you need the right coach we don't have Sean Payton.