X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

The Instincts Argument

Sorry another Bernard thread. But I gotta say the word: The Instincts. I don't know I have seen a Bills LB like that forever. Even though in the video below, Erik said he hated using that word in scouting report, but I have heard it many times during the Ravens - Steelers feud back in the day and that's how people here describe Ray Lewis. Lewis was considered short (6'1"), maybe a tad slow (running 4.59), and not that big in his era (235lb). Ozzie Newsome who drafted Lewis recalled that "I remember Mike [Lombardi, Browns director of player personnel] and I ended up doing the interview with Ray at the combine. We put in the Baylor tape. It was a highlight tape. I think he made every tackle. To sit there and listen to him explain why he was doing what he was doing, his instincts were really amazing. He would say, 'I’ve seen this before so that’s why I was playing that.'"

So what are the instincts we are talking about? Erik's video explained well. Those peripheral vision, the feel of someone behind him without actually turning his head to look etc. It seems like it is on full display from Bernard now.

I'm not putting Bernard on Ray Lewis's level or suggesting he's going to be at that level down the road yet. It'll take more than instincts. Lewis had the competitive desire to watch films until he could get an answer for one play on the opponent. Even if Bernard has the same work ethics, there is still a size issue unique to him. Can his body frame carry addition muscle so that he can hold up week in and week out for years? That is a serious concern for the position he plays because he's going to encounter some big O-Line people down the line when opponents scheme to take him out of the game just like when Lewis was facing back then.

• Jimkelly12203
    • Jun 2015

Re: The Instincts Argument

It comes down to this. Some people worry about doing their job. Other people just play the game. Are you busy spinning the wheels in your mind, or are you just out there reacting? I think most of these guys do the work. But how confident are they in just trusting their instincts vs. over-thinking everything?
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
      • Mar 2004

Well, I get what you are saying, but there’s actually another LB on the team right now with some pretty incredible instincts.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
        Well, I get what you are saying, but there’s actually another LB on the team right now with some pretty incredible instincts.
        This is not me ripping on him at all but I did not hear his name yesterday at all.
        I came.
        I saw.
        I conquered.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
          This is not me ripping on him at all but I did not hear his name yesterday at all.
          Not as big yesterday, but Milano has been a heck of a playmaker for some time.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
            • Jul 2005

It is not yet time to compare Terrell Bernard to Matt Milano. TB had one poor game, one good game, and now one phenomenal game. That's three starts.

Milano has been having consistently good to phenomenal games for years. He's the All-Pro in our LB room right now. Let's hope we have two by the end of the season, but we all need to take it easy on the TB hype train at this point.
            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

All aboard !!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• notacon
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
                It is not yet time to compare Terrell Bernard to Matt Milano. TB had one poor game, one good game, and now one phenomenal game. That's three starts.

Milano has been having consistently good to phenomenal games for years. He's the All-Pro in our LB room right now. Let's hope we have two by the end of the season, but we all need to take it easy on the TB hype train at this point.
                Spot on.

As I said in another thread....But, before everyone starts naming Bernard to the Hall of Fame, just tap the brakes and get real. Doing so against a QB making HIS fourth start is not like doing so against Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence Dak Prescott, Justin Herbert and Tua.

I have great hopes that Bernard, along with the rest of the Bills stellar defense, maintains their outstanding play (like I have been telling all of you for a couple of years now). It’s no surprise with the additions and the absence of the injury bug.

Comment

• Woodman
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim View Post

I'd only add that his 1st game (Jets) was his preseason. He had no reps at full speed against an opponent until then. This kid is only going to get better with game action. His trust and reaction to what he sees has been nothing less than excellent and I'd anticipate we will be using the word incredible very soon.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

The way Bienemy was drooling over Milano last week his entire gameplan was probably predicated on avoiding/accounting for him. I'd bet real money Howell had drilled into him his first pre-snap read was finding #58.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

I don't care if it's instincts, taught behavior, or whatever. If he keeps playing like that, this defense will be a force to recon with

Comment

• daryls61
                        I now identify as a robot and my preferred method of transportation is Rickshaw.
                        • Jan 2013

Better start Nard Dog or the Legend of Kiko Alonzo?
                        The Things that unite us are far greater than the things that divide us. Just my 2 Cents.

"The Force, it's calling to you. Just let it in." - Maz Kanata: Star Wars VII The Force Awakens

"'Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum." - Winston Scott in John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum

#Cup or Bust 2024 #Bowl or Bust 2024 - It is the way.

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                          I don't care if it's instincts, taught behavior, or whatever. If he keeps playing like that, this defense will be a force to recon with
                          That's all we asked for .... a MLB in the truest sense.

Comment

• Cali512
                            • Jan 2012

Bernards the type to lose his keys and look everywhere for them

Edmunds the type to lose his keys and start screaming "anyone seen my keys"

Thats the difference between the two
                            Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Woodman
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Apr 2014

download-2.jpg

Edmunds keys .... hard to believe he could lose em.

Comment

Working...
                              X