• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

So, after 4 games...

...Do you feel better, worse, or the same about the team as you did during the off-season and training camp?

I feel a little bit better after the last three weeks, even though he competition wasn't exactly top tier. The season opener manifested my biggest concerns about Allen specifically continuing to not progress and grow, but also the lack of focus and 'hungry and humble' rhetoric for the entire team. Against the Raiders and Redskins Josh seemingly did take a step forward by becoming a bit more cerebral and calculating, and less hero ball. The whole team looked...and played...'hungry' against Miami.

Hopefully that means they were also humbled by the Jets, and their focus will continue to re-charge on a weekly basis for each opponent.

You?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Buffalogic
    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
    • Feb 2006

Re: So, after 4 games...

In the prediction thread I said I think this is the year they win the superbowl and the start has me feeling good about that pick.

Comment

• imbondz
      Democrats are people too
      • Jan 2003

If you don’t feel good about this team something’s wrong with you. The Dolphins game is one of the best, most complete games I’ve ever seen the Bills play. Our D is elite. Our O is elite. Our special teams is elite. Couldn’t be more proud to be a Bills fan after 4 weeks.
      My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Woodman
        Legendary Zoner
        • Apr 2014

It's a long hard slog and if healthy assuming depth stays solid I always believed we'd be in the running for it all. I feel the same today.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• DetoxTent
          • Sep 2023

The first game was the Bills manifestation of their not being prepared coming out of the preseason. McDermott's teams have done this before. See Bills/Steelers 2021. Both games they woulda/shoulda/could have won, but looked poorly prepared all around. They seem to be back on track. But they don't have a good track record in London, IIRC, so if they can get through this game coming it will underscore that the last 3 games were the 'real' Bills.

Comment

• Chet
            Allenhu Joshbar
            • Feb 2017

I feel better because I've seen a change in philosophy on both sides of the ball. I know I've beaten a dead horse all offseason and up until recently concerning my contempt for the inflexibility or lack of imagination from our coaching staff, so I must give credit where credit is due.

With that said, there are still 3 things I need to see before going all aboard the optimism train like I did in 2020, last part of 2021, and the first half of 2022.

1. Will Buffalo stay committed to the run and will Josh continue to take the underneath routes that are available to him? Was this just a tease, or are they all-in on these changes. There will be setbacks and growing pains as these changes are implemented, so important not to lose patience.

2. How will they respond in close and/or physically grueling games where things aren't going their way? Will they stay disciplined and poised, or will they implode? I'm looking at you, Josh and Dorsey.

3. What will this team look like week to week and half to half? Consistency has been atrocious the last 2 seasons which is a direct reflection of coaching. If the Bills show up every week like hunters and not the hunted--coupled with the changes in coaching philosophy on both sides of the ball--then I will owe McD a huge apology.

We don't have any prove-it opponents on our schedule anymore. The goal is to right the wrongs of past years and be primed for a long playoff run. I don't mind if there's setbacks over a long season, as long as the team is not making the same mistakes over and over again. I'm dead serious when I say I don't care about HFA as long as the aformentioned 3 issues are addressed.

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

They're about where I felt they would be, 3-1 at the quarter point.

what I like, is the balance I see in the offense. We finally have the correct running backs.

I also like the fury of the pass rush, essentially doing it with four guys.

Each week they seem to get better....I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                • Mar 2015

Better

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  ...Do you feel better, worse, or the same about the team as you did during the off-season and training camp?

I feel a little bit better after the last three weeks, even though he competition wasn't exactly top tier. The season opener manifested my biggest concerns about Allen specifically continuing to not progress and grow, but also the lack of focus and 'hungry and humble' rhetoric for the entire team. Against the Raiders and Redskins Josh seemingly did take a step forward by becoming a bit more cerebral and calculating, and less hero ball. The whole team looked...and played...'hungry' against Miami.

Hopefully that means they were also humbled by the Jets, and their focus will continue to re-charge on a weekly basis for each opponent.

You?
                  I felt way better than I did after the Jets loss after the dominating wins over Oakland and Washington.

I feel a better a little more than that after Sunday's trouncing of the NFL's "best team".

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DetoxTent View Post
                    The first game was the Bills manifestation of their not being prepared coming out of the preseason. McDermott's teams have done this before. See Bills/Steelers 2021. Both games they woulda/shoulda/could have won, but looked poorly prepared all around. They seem to be back on track. But they don't have a good track record in London, IIRC, so if they can get through this game coming it will underscore that the last 3 games were the 'real' Bills.
                    The Bills are 4-3 on opening day under McD. They were thoroughly outclassed in the loss to the Ravens, but the losses to the Steelers and this year's game were a one score affair. And this year's game was a matter of Josh playing poorly (I addressed that in another thread). The defense limited the Jets to 16 points and the game was lost in OT on a punt return for a TD (on which a block in the back was missed).

And after the first 4 games, my biggest concern was MLB, but no longer and actually think we have a potential top-10 player there. I also think the offense is a juggernaut but can continue to get better as all the new players get more comfortable and OL continues to gel.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                      • Mar 2015

Dorsey's O and the execution and the D front gives me warm fuzzies. Yes it does. Running for positive yards in the red zone, oh my!

Comment

• daryls61
                        • Jan 2013

Happy to see OL playing well and Nard Dog dominating on D. Both are pleasant surprises for me.
                        The Things that unite us are far greater than the things that divide us. Just my 2 Cents.

"The Force, it's calling to you. Just let it in." - Maz Kanata: Star Wars VII The Force Awakens

"'Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum." - Winston Scott in John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum

#Cup or Bust 2024 #Bowl or Bust 2024 - It is the way.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Very happy so far knowing we arent firing on all cylinders yet. Hoping we peak come playoffs . I do however know that Hero ball from the jets game is waiting to make another appearance. I hope its not during playoffs.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

First, let's see what happens in London.

I'll say the first 5 weeks you see what kind of team you have. We can almost say (pending London game) we do have a team that can compete for Superbowl. No big hole anywhere and a number of players, especially key players, seem to project to have career year type of season; and some rookies are contributing right off the bat (many may not pay attention but I noticed last year that KC had that vibe).

Coaching is important in the next 8 weeks because it is the adjustment and counter-adjustment period. You have games and tendencies and new players usage on tape and teams are going to adjust to you. Do McDermott and Dorsey can keep it up? Last year the Bills came out the gate flying, but you can see by week 7 onwards, they leveled up considerably and I believe a lot of it is due to teams catching up to them. They never really found a counter measure to re-capture the early season highs.

Lastly, injuries. We lost Tre so we need to see the impact. And hopefully no more serious injuries. But I'll keep my eye on the 2 aging safeties deep into the season, they are particularly important to us and to me Hyde, especially - I saw him making adjustment to the defense several time in the Miami game from secondary to our Linebackers, even the D-linemen. In my eyes, in the Miami game I see Dane Jackson played better than Benford. If we can get another positive surprise from Elam, I really feel we are going to places this year.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                              • Apr 2004

I'm seeing a football team more put together for the tough weather than since Josh arrived. The offense is getting the tough yards and punching teams in the mouth yet they are still as explosive as ever. The defense is giving teams nothing on runs up the middle including holding Jacobs to negative yardage and putting a lot of pressure on QBs.

This is the best Bills team since 1991.

Comment

Working...
                              X