New York State alters booze laws to accommodate Bills’ start time for London game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

New York State alters booze laws to accommodate Bills’ start time for London game

The Buffalo Bills are in London (England, not Ontario) to take on the Jacksonville Jaguars in an international contest this weekend. It’s an early morning affair, kicking off at 9:30 a.m. Eastern. On Tuesday night, governor Kathy Hochul announced a special extension of liquor laws to accommodate the unusual game time.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: New York State alters booze laws to accommodate Bills’ start time for London game

"With the @BuffaloBills playing across the pond on Sunday morning, I know fans will be gathering for the big game & may fancy a pint.
    I'm directing the State Liquor Authority to extend the deadline for special permits, so sports bars & restaurants can serve as early as 8am. ❤️ "
    Until the announcement, two things wee going to converge into a weird situation for some Bills fans.
    Alcohol isn’t normally allowed to be sold in bars and restaurants in New York State until 10 a.m. on Sundays. That’s a good chunk of the first quarter without your first adult beverage. If you’re looking to get a bottle of wine or liquor for home consumption, you’re even more out of luck. Liquor stores can’t open until noon.

New York State alters booze laws to accommodate Bills’ start time for London game - Buffalo Rumblings

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

Re: New York State alters booze laws to accommodate Bills’ start time for London game

Finally priorities !!

Comment

• Historian
        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
        • Dec 2002

Stupid laws to begin with...

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          Until around 1976 most places were closed on Sundays.

Comment

• sahlensguy
            • Mar 2015

Hells yeah!!

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
              Until around 1976 most places were closed on Sundays.
              Even stupider

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                In the 90’s I was a cashier at Wegmans. Even back then, the registers were programmed not to allow beer sales before noon on Sundays. There were numerous times where customers came through my line at like 11:58 and the machine wouldn’t let me ring them up. They’d just have to stand there and wait until the machine turned to 12:00.

Dumb.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

The alcohol laws in this country are just stupid to begin with.

From where I live, I can be in Pennsylvania in 35 min, Delaware in 45 min, DC or VA in about an hour (if there’s no traffic, but there always is), and WV in a little over an hour. Every state has drastically different alcohol laws and I literally have to research how to buy alcohol in places that are just a short drive away.

Even worse, some laws change by county. We know the people who own the local liquor store. Their store is on the road that divides the city from the county. They’d literally have different laws about things like yours and growlers if they were on the other side of the same street.

It’s just insane.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• MidnightVoice
                    Retired (mostly)
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                    The alcohol laws in this country are just stupid to begin with.
                    They tend to be a tad strange in many countries, including the Britain of my youth. For example, in those days, Wales was dry on a Sunday. But if you were visiting you could join the local Rugby club, and their clubhouse usually had Sunday exemptions. So I am a lapsed member of about 5 or six South Wales Rugby Clubs

But to play
                    that’s the thing
                    shut up and deal
                    ~ Jesse May

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by MidnightVoice View Post
                      They tend to be a tad strange in many countries, including the Britain of my youth. For example, in those days, Wales was dry on a Sunday. But if you were visiting you could join the local Rugby club, and their clubhouse usually had Sunday exemptions. So I am a lapsed member of about 5 or six South Wales Rugby Clubs
                      I was surprised how early the pubs closed in Ireland and Scotland when we were there about a decade ago. I think many closed around 11, and we were there in July so it was just starting to get dark.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• notacon
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        I was surprised how early the pubs closed in Ireland and Scotland when we were there about a decade ago. I think many closed around 11, and we were there in July so it was just starting to get dark.
                        When I was there in the 70’s, they were still using the extremely restrictive “permitted hours” which were the number of hours a day a pub is allowed to open.

At that time it was 9 hours a weekday (9.5 hours in London) and 5.5 hours on Sundays. On weekdays there must be a break of at least two hours in the afternoon, and no pub could open before 10 AM and must close at 10:30PM (11 PM in London).

The pub I went to every day for lunch closed at 3:00PM until 5:00PM. Then closed for the day at 10:30PM.

That’s why the locals would be there in the afternoon when I went to lunch (usually around 1:00PM, and they would be POUNDING them down before 3:00PM.

They changed those laws in 1988 when the two hour afternoon break from 3:00-5:00PM was abolished. They then allowed pubs to stay open ant time between 11:00AM and 11:00PM. Sunday is still restricted as they can only be open from 12:00PM to 3:00PM...and stay closed until 7:00PM. The mice close at 10:30PM for the day.

This is why they have a plethora of “private clubs” that skirt those laws. Much like in SLC Utah.

Much was changed again with the Licensing Act of 2003.

So very strange.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                          • Mar 2015

Utah has no dry counties. Suck it.

Comment

• daryls61
                            • Jan 2013

Don't most bars and restaurants open at 11 anyway? I do remember drinking at a bar though the last time Bills played in London.
                            The Things that unite us are far greater than the things that divide us. Just my 2 Cents.

"The Force, it's calling to you. Just let it in." - Maz Kanata: Star Wars VII The Force Awakens

"'Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum." - Winston Scott in John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum

#Cup or Bust 2024 #Bowl or Bust 2024 - It is the way.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                              • Mar 2015

Bars still close in WNY at 4:00am? That's just nuts

Comment

Working...
                              X