PDA

View Full Version : Injuries

YardRat
10-09-2023, 05:27 AM
Just a bad day and really bad luck, or a result of not playing at peak because of any unusual factors tied to the trip to London?

Forward_Lateral
10-09-2023, 07:31 AM
Why the hell does the NFL put turf down over a grass field??!

Woodman
10-09-2023, 07:33 AM
They are stupid comes to mind immediately.

Buffalogic
10-09-2023, 08:19 AM
Milano could have easily avoided his injury. He jumped in a pile where the ball carrier was already stopped. I don’t understand why he did it, maybe for a tackle stat? It was more than easily avoidable and was totally unnecessary. Huge bummer.

Woodman
10-09-2023, 08:30 AM
Milano could have easily avoided his injury. He jumped in a pile where the ball carrier was already stopped. I don’t understand why he did it, maybe for a tackle stat? It was more than easily avoidable and was totally unnecessary. Huge bummer.

I saw the same and thought so as well .... just not thinking.

DraftBoy
10-09-2023, 09:15 AM

Because Tottenham won't allow them to play on the grass field per the agreement they have. Soccer isn't going to let football ruin their field.

It's the same reason why a bunch of turf fields in the US are putting down grass for the world cup. The bigger sport always wins.

Woodman
10-09-2023, 09:18 AM
I would decline the invitation every damn time.

jamze132
10-09-2023, 09:40 AM
I would decline the invitation every damn time.

Pretty sure it’s not an invitation. Maybe if the flew a few days earlier the players wouldn’t have been so sluggish and unprepared.

DraftBoy
10-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Pretty sure it’s not an invitation. Maybe if the flew a few days earlier the players wouldn’t have been so sluggish and unprepared.

I get the reason behind wanting everything to remain relatively normal for a prep week despite it being an international game, but the time difference is legit and 36 hours is nowhere near enough time to adapt imo.

Ed
10-09-2023, 10:09 AM
Have there been any details regarding Rousseau's foot injury?

Chet
10-09-2023, 10:35 AM
Yeah it was very Edmunds-esque

DetoxTent
10-09-2023, 11:13 AM
Yeah it was very Edmunds-esque
He learned from he best.

OpIv37
10-09-2023, 11:21 AM
I get the reason behind wanting everything to remain relatively normal for a prep week despite it being an international game, but the time difference is legit and 36 hours is nowhere near enough time to adapt imo.
The next time they force a Europe game on us, we need to go on a k day, especially if it’s Jax and they already played there the week prior.

kingJofNYC
10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Feel like our shot ended yesterday with the injuries, it's a lot to overcome. They'll still make the playoffs but expectations have to be in check.

It's a shame, they looked good outside of the first game going into yesterday.

OpIv37
10-09-2023, 11:51 AM
Feel like our shot ended yesterday with the injuries, it's a lot to overcome. They'll still make the playoffs but expectations have to be in check.

It's a shame, they looked good outside of the first game going into yesterday.

This is the second year in a row where the league allowed rules to screw us. We got baked by the Dolphins last year and they let Jax stay in London next year. It doesn’t really matter though. We probably aren’t beating KC or a healthy Cincy, and if by some miracle we got out of the AFC, we aren’t beating Philly or SF.

notacon
10-09-2023, 12:34 PM

SI’s Albert Breer addressed that very subject in his “NFL Week 5 takeaways”....

The NFL needs to be honest with its artificial turf issue. (https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/10/09/nfl-week-5-takeaways-patriots-have-no-talent)

Last year, the league conceded, even in defending teams’ decisions to play on synthetic surfaces, that a certain type of artificial turf called “slit film” turf was leading to an uptick in serious injuries (https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/11/12/nflpa-president-calls-immediate-changes-slit-film-turf-fields-amid-injury-concerns). At the time, six home stadiums had such fields, and three of the six—the Superdome in New Orleans, Ford Field in Detroit and MetLife Stadium in New Jersey—changed those out in the offseason.

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London gave the league a seventh stadium with slit film turf in 2022, and a fourth that changed that surface out ahead of the 2023 season. Minnesota, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis are the three left with slit film.

All of this is why what happened Sunday should invite close scrutiny, and did elicit rightful criticism from one of the two teams the league put out there in Tottenham to goose the owners’ pursuits of the international dollar. The Bills, who lost Matt Milano (potentially for the year) in their game against the Jaguars, got vocal with Tim Graham of The Athletic (https://theathletic.com/4942358/2023/10/08/bills-turf-complaints-nfl-london-game/) over the playing conditions, with nickelback Taron Johnson calling the new surface at Tottenham “terrible.”

“Take the turf out, especially that one,” Johnson said. “I’d rather play on grass. I’m sure 90 to 100% of players in the NFL would rather play on grass. I don’t know why we’re playing on stuff like that. There were injuries on the field today, some really, really bad. I just feel like the turf has something to do with it.”

Of course, Johnson knows, just like everyone else does. It is cheaper and far less labor intensive to put down turf than it is to maintain grass—particularly when owners are trying to monetize their increasingly costly sports palaces with concerts, and soccer matches, and monster truck rallies, and swim meets (yes, there have been those), and boxing matches and whatever other event at which they can charge $15 for a Bud Light.

And while Tottenham had issues with its new surface, Minnesota had problems with its old one (which it has pledged to replace after the season), with Chiefs TE Travis Kelce spraining his ankle as his foot awkwardly stuck in the turf, and Vikings WR Justin Jefferson pulled from the game after screwing up his hamstring.

To be clear, it’s hard to draw a straight line on causation from each of these injuries to the slit-film turf. But the same way Von Miller and Rashan Gary felt like the Ford Field surface led to their torn ACLs last year, and Sterling Shepard more or less knew the same about the MetLife turf, these guys clearly believe there’s a problem that’s endangering their ability to stay healthy and, thus, earn their living.

Meanwhile, the league and owners insist that the data shows grass isn’t markedly safer and swear that some players prefer turf because it plays faster (I can’t say I’ve come across a lot of those players). The problem with that, of course, is that the league-office folks and their bosses (the owners) aren’t playing on these surfaces every week, so they can’t relate with how turf makes players feel (another problem) after they play on it, or really reckon with the risk guys feel like they’re under getting sent out on it.

The other thing they’ll say privately is that the pricey stadiums that owners justify with all these events help to juice the salary cap, which is definitely true, which means that the owners’ ability to monetize such a venue does bring plenty of benefit to the players.

But it increasingly feels like the benefit isn’t worth the human cost. As Sunday showed. Again. Which only makes me wish owners would be honest and forthright, and have a real conversation with their players on the feasibility of putting grass in everywhere, or at least everywhere without a roof.

(And we’ll have plenty more on this coming in the weeks ahead.)

Incredibly, they REMOVED the grass field and replaced it with ****ty “slit film” turf in Tottenham Hotspur Stadium before the Bills game.

Most European soccer players REFUSE to play on anything except grass fields.

Incredibly (https://theathletic.com/4862420/2023/09/14/lionel-messi-turf-nfl/), "SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, a contender for the coveted World Cup 2026 final, switched to a natural grass playing surface for the CONCACAF Gold Cup final this summer. (then switched back to ****ty turf for the NFL season) The Los Angeles Rams and Chargers regularly play on a synthetic material called Hellas Matrix turf in that stadium. Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte also installed a natural grass surface last year for an exhibition match between Charlotte FC (https://theathletic.com/football/team/charlottefc/) and Chelsea, before converting back to an artificial surface for football season.”

All done for the unending greed of filthy rich NFL team owners.

Reminder.....

Tre’ White tore his ACL, lost for the season, on Thanksgiving Day, 2021 in the Superdome in New Orleans.

Von Miller tore his ACL, lost for the season, on Thanksgiving Day, 2022 in Ford Field, Detroit.

Matt Milano broke his leg (with possible ligament damage), lost for the season, on Sunday in Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

ALL used the same failed “slit film” turf field. Coincidence??? Hardly.

notacon
10-09-2023, 12:40 PM
Yeah...the same useful idiots that believe the NFL when they say that "league and owners insist that the data shows grass isn’t markedly safer and swear that some players prefer turf because it plays faster “ are the same useful idiots that refuse to acknowledge that rampant racism by NFL owners is prevalent and has been tolerated by the NFL for decades.

The two are probably related.

Chet
10-09-2023, 12:41 PM
Yeah...the same useful idiots that believe the NFL when they say that "league and owners insist that the data shows grass isn’t markedly safer and swear that some players prefer turf because it plays faster “ are the same useful idiots that refuse to acknowledge that rampant racism by NFL owners is prevalent and has been tolerated by the NFL for decades.

The two are probably related.
old man yelling at clouds

notacon
10-09-2023, 12:54 PM
old man yelling at clouds

Hmmmmm....are you going to deny what I wrote is true???

Do you root for Bills players to get injured like you are rooting for them to lose out the rest of 2023????

Mr. Pink
10-09-2023, 01:58 PM
Milano's injury was a contact injury, so trying to say it was because of the turf is false, he would have broke his leg even if it was on sand.

Nick Chubb tore his MCL and ACL on grass. Are we going to say that happened because of the grass field? No it was another contact injury.

It's a contact sport, injuries happen, regardless of field surface.

Forward_Lateral
10-09-2023, 02:18 PM
Milano's injury was a contact injury, so trying to say it was because of the turf is false, he would have broke his leg even if it was on sand.

Nick Chubb tore his MCL and ACL on grass. Are we going to say that happened because of the grass field? No it was another contact injury.

That is true, but turf causes some major injuries and grass is proven to be safer

Typ0
10-09-2023, 02:56 PM
I think the factor that is so different here is JAX had a layover week in London. It was set up and the coaches failed to have a response.

Typ0
10-09-2023, 03:00 PM
Same reason I am so pissed off about the taking of the knee at the end of the half. JAX had a built in huge competitive advantage in this game -- at least at the start of the game. That play you tossed away was an equalizer play. You don't get a lot of opportunities like that.

Mace
10-09-2023, 05:14 PM

Variables. The surface there has seams and depressions. Getting there earlier to acclimate to the time change and get a sense of the field conditions would have been prudent. It's just proper preparation to take care of your athletes and give them the best chance to compete.

Yeah, injuries will happen, but you want to take every step you can to mitigate the possibility.

Novacane
10-09-2023, 05:40 PM

I didn't realize that. That makes it 100 time worse. Damn it!

Novacane
10-09-2023, 05:46 PM
The Ravens already left for London. The Titans are following the Bills and waiting till the end of the week. It will be interesting to see if TN performs like we did.

Woodman
10-09-2023, 06:29 PM

I suggested the same in another post ..... instead of Friday I think I suggested Tuesday no later than Wednesday ..... the little things do make a big difference.

Woodman
10-09-2023, 06:31 PM
The Ravens already left for London. The Titans are following the Bills and waiting till the end of the week. It will be interesting to see if TN performs like we did.

No matter who wins that battle ...... I'd do what the Ravens did and get over asap and maybe get a chance to practice on it .... not sure if that's possible, but I'd try.

jamze132
10-10-2023, 07:41 AM

Exactly, they should have had their regular prep in England.

- - - Updated - - -

Let’s also watch to see how the turf affects any injuries.

notacon
10-10-2023, 01:14 PM

Make excuses for the owners greed if you want.

It’s baloney.

Turf is BAD for football players, just like it’s BAD for soccer players. The difference is that the soccer leagues have recognized the danger and have almost banned them.

It’s pretty telling when, in order to host the 2026 World Cup AT&T in Dallas and SoFi stadium in LA will put in a grass field (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/world-cup-insistence-on-grass-becomes-key-player-point-in-turf-debate)(actually at least a hybrid of grass and turf like used in Lombardi Stadium who uses SIS/Grass (https://www.sispitches.com/pitches/hybrid-pitch-sisgrass/)) for those matches.

Just because injuries take place on grass surface is irrelevant. Also, a “contact” injury does not mean that the surface it occurred on was not a factor.

As for Milano’s AND Jones injuries.....to say that they would have happened “even on sand” is factitious at best. You have no idea.

The players certainly DO think it was a factor. THEY play on the surface while you sit all comfy on your couch.

Taron Johnson spoke to the reality of playing on crappy turf (https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/bills-nfl-london-injuries-tottenham-hotspur-stadium-turf/2d2b2548deb79c7e84ac99bd)....

"I think that turf is terrible," Johnson said (https://x.com/thadbrown7/status/1711075667368874311?s=20) after the game. "My foot got stuck in the ground, but I'm OK, thank God. Take that turf out, especially that one."

Within his assessment of the situation, Johnson brought back the debate of playing on grass vs. artificial turf.

"I'd rather play on grass — I'm sure 90 to 100 percent of the players in the NFL would rather play on grass so I don't know why we're playing on stuff like that," he told reporters.

"There were injuries on the field today, some really really bad. So I just feel like the turf had something to do with it."

Per Ryan O'Halloran of The Buffalo News, an unnamed Bills player is quoted asking (https://x.com/ryanohalloran/status/1711080287050899601?s=20): "We came all the way over to London to play on f— cement?"

Taron Johnson has a credible opinion from experience. You do not.

On this issue either one other supports the players, or makes excuses for greedy owners. Which side are you on????

Woodman
10-10-2023, 01:19 PM
I think the factor that is so different here is JAX had a layover week in London. It was set up and the coaches failed to have a response.

Waited way too long ..... that definitely had me worried about the game.

It's almost like we don't give a **** attitude ..... big mistake coach big mistake.

Mr. Pink
10-11-2023, 01:14 AM
Taron Johnson has a credible opinion from experience. You do not.

On this issue either one other supports the players, or makes excuses for greedy owners. Which side are you on????

Milano's injury was a contact injury. Nick Chubb's injury was a contact injury. It doesn't matter what surface you're on, if your injury is due to contact from another human being. Go stand in water and have another human being take your knees out.

How does the surface a stadium has imply greed? Upfront costs of turf is actually more than grass. It takes years for the cost of grass to become more expensive. And we all know through time owners are looking for new stadiums, new fields, etc anyway.

notacon
10-11-2023, 01:49 PM
Milano's injury was a contact injury. Nick Chubb's injury was a contact injury. It doesn't matter what surface you're on, if your injury is due to contact from another human being. Go stand in water and have another human being take your knees out.

How does the surface a stadium has imply greed? Upfront costs of turf is actually more than grass. It takes years for the cost of grass to become more expensive. And we all know through time owners are looking for new stadiums, new fields, etc anyway.

You are missing the point, ignoring the facts and the reality.

A “contact” injury can still (certainly according to the players) be both more likely and worse if on “sticky” turf….like the awful “slit film” version of artificial turf that is so bad several teams replaced it recently.

There is NO coincidence that the most devastating injuries to Bills premier players were all on “slit film”….Tre’ White in 2021, Von Miller in 2022 and now Matt Milano in 2023.

The idea that “It doesn't matter what surface you're on, if your injury is due to contact from another human being.” is ludicrous.

Players CONSTANTLY complain about most turf being much more “sticky” than grass. In fact, an injury that is almost exclusive to artificial turf was named in honor of what caused it….”turf toe”….when the big toe of a player hyperextends because it STICKS on turf.

ESPN+ published a very detailed article today concerning the turf issue. The evidence is pretty clear, turf causes a higher chance of injury.

BUT, chance of injury is not the only issue. Just playing on turf is much harder on players bodies than grass.

Here are some pertinent passages from the article (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38624943/injuries-safety-measures-more)….

"It's pretty simple: The numbers say that grass is healthier for the players," Kansas City Chiefs (https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/kc/kansas-city-chiefs) quarterback Patrick Mahomes (https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3139477/patrick-mahomes) said. "I want to play on the best surface that will keep me healthy."

Green Bay Packers (https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers) tackle David Bakhtiari (https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/15963/david-bakhtiari) said: "We already play a violent game, so why increase the risk?"

…snip…

Tretter, (NFLPA president) who played eight years as an NFL offensive lineman, remembers being hooked up to an ice machine to relieve the pain from playing on turf.

"I knew playing the week after was going to be extra difficult because of the wear and tear and the pounding my knees were going to take on turf," he said. "And then I'd look at the worst-case scenario: A turf game [on Sunday], and then if that Thursday we had to play a game and that was turf, too.

"I knew I was going to be hooked up to an ice machine, unable to move, for the next 10 days after that. ... I think it's damn near unanimous amongst players what their experience tells us."

Tretter also said when he was rehabilitating after a knee surgery while playing for the Cleveland Browns (https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/cle/cleveland-browns) in 2020, athletic trainers would instruct him to take a day off from rehab rather than use the indoor turf field at the Browns' facility.

"We just did a walk-through on turf, and just being out there, I'm like, 'Man, I could feel it,'" he said. "I feel it in my legs. ... You could feel a difference in your body.

"I even talk to coaches when they're at practice and they're standing on the sideline. Their body feels different whether we practice on turf or grass, and they're not even running. They're just standing. So, if that's happening to them and they're just watching, what do you think is happening to the guys that are actually pounding their feet on it?"

….snip….

Mark Drakos is an orthopedic surgeon at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York and an assistant team doctor for the New York Knicks and the New York Mets. He had a fellowship with the Giants and was on the committee charged with making a recommendation about different synthetic turf surfaces for MetLife Stadium -- home of the Giants and Jets -- before its inaugural season in 2010. Drakos said grass wasn't an option. The two teams had played on synthetic turf for all but three seasons since they began sharing the old Giants Stadium when it opened in 1976. Drakos wasn't in the room when the surface was chosen, but he gave his opinion ahead of time. "Me and probably six or seven other doctors were sitting there listening to all these different presentations [from turf companies]," Drakos said. "And at the end, I said, 'Listen, from a medical standpoint, we should do grass.'"

MetLife stuck with synthetic turf because "natural grass did not hold up for the busy fall schedule with two teams, 20 NFL home games and the Northeast climate," according to Helen Strus, VP of marketing and communications for MetLife Stadium.

But then and now, Drakos' research found grass is best for players' health, particularly when it comes to ankle and noncontact knee injuries. He said: "The data is pretty conclusive." He also said turf is stickier and less forgiving, which can cause the foot to catch and send torque up to the knee.

This year, the American Journal of Sports Medicine examined 53 studies, across all sports and levels of competition, published from 1972 to 2020. Twenty-five of them compared foot and ankle injuries on different surfaces, and 32 examined knee injury rates on synthetic turf and on grass. In summary, they found that there are "a higher rate of foot and ankle injuries on artificial turf compared with natural grass on both old- and new-generation turf," and that "elite-level football athletes" were more predisposed to knee injuries on synthetic turf. The AJSM said there were "a few" studies that sided with turf on overall injury rates.

"The artificial turf industry has been vehement," said Diana Zuckerman, president of the National Center for Health Research, "and they've made a lot of money claiming that their product is perfectly safe, and there's really growing evidence that that's not true. And it's clear that even in the most recent types of artificial turf ... the accidents are still more likely to occur."

….snip….

Tretter questioned whether some teams are doing everything they can, noting that cold-weather teams in Green Bay, Cleveland and Pittsburgh all have grass fields. The Packers use a hybrid version known as SISGrass, which reinforces the natural surface with synthetic stitching. According to the Packers' website, fibers are sewn three-quarters of an inch from each other and 7 inches deep, sticking up just under an inch above the ground. They are intended to provide a stabilization for the sand underneath the field, preventing the ground from getting pushed around and becoming uneven over the course of a long season. Also, as part of their operation of Lambeau Field, the Packers typically limit themselves to one non-Packers event on the field per year.

"Guys get really, really frustrated when those teams pitch the idea that it's too hard to grow grass," Tretter said. "If you can grow grass in Green Bay, Wisconsin, you can't tell me in Tennessee you can't handle it."

Your assertion “How does the surface a stadium has imply greed? Upfront costs of turf is actually more than grass. It takes years for the cost of grass to become more expensive” is false, belied by the facts and evidence….

FIFA's financial investment in ensuring the World Cup is played on grass -- even in NFL venues that feature turf -- raises the issue of the role money plays in the grass vs. turf debate. It's estimated a natural grass field could cost a cold-weather team $2 million to $3 million per year to maintain, including $400,000 each time it's replaced, according to a professor of turfgrass research at Michigan State. Turf would cost approximately $1.25 million to install and maintain, according to the Capital Improvement Board, which operates Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Prices, however, vary by market.

The most poignant quote from the article is this….

"We feel the data has proven our point," Tretter told ESPN. "We feel the player opinion is consistent. There are, really, only two bodies of people that are disagreeing at this point with us: People who manufacture turf and the NFL. And that's a frustrating spot to be in."

Yeah. It’s ALL about GREED. Greed of the owners and greed by the turf manufacture’s

One can be own the side of the owners or on the side of the players...and their heath and safety.

You seem to be choosing the greedy owners.

I choose the players. Taron Johnson said it best....

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 654px; display: block; flex-grow: 1;" title="Twitter Tweet" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfdGltZWxpbmVfbGlzdCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOltdLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X2ZvbGxvd2VyX2NvdW50X3N1bnNldCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOnRydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9iYWNrZW5kIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19yZWZzcmNfc2Vzc2lvbiI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfZm9zbnJfc29mdF9pbnRlcnZlbnRpb25zX2VuYWJsZWQiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijoib24iLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X21peGVkX21lZGlhXzE1ODk3Ijp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6InRyZWF0bWVudCIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfZXhwZXJpbWVudHNfY29 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 ydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9mcm9udGVuZCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9fQ%3D%3D&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=1711075667368874311&lang=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com%2Ffanzone%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dpostreply%26t%3D263999&sessionId=8dc571f5a233bc551ded5b7c289c33f6fbfab2a1&theme=light&widgetsVersion=01917f4d1d4cb%3A1696883169554&width=550px" data-tweet-id="1711075667368874311"></iframe>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.d37472b4a6622d0b1fff46ad904f6896.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.d37472b4a6622d0b1fff46ad904f6896.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.d37472b4a6622d0b1fff46ad904f6896.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.d37472b4a6622d0b1fff46ad904f6896.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.d37472b4a6622d0b1fff46ad904f6896.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe><iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.d37472b4a6622d0b1fff46ad904f6896.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.billszone.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

Woodman
10-11-2023, 07:40 PM
True it was boneheaded.

jamze132
10-11-2023, 11:19 PM
The NFL is all about player safety, so they say, and lots of players have voiced their opposition to field turf. Kelce’s injury was blamed on the turf. Two more teams are playing in London Sunday and I can only hope they both come out unscathed.

Football is an inherently dangerous sport to begin with and the league needs to minimize every variable to reduce injuries. It shouldn’t be hard to make grass surfaces a policy.

notacon
10-12-2023, 01:37 PM
The NFL is all about player safety, so they say, and lots of players have voiced their opposition to field turf. Kelce’s injury was blamed on the turf. Two more teams are playing in London Sunday and I can only hope they both come out unscathed.

Football is an inherently dangerous sport to begin with and the league needs to minimize every variable to reduce injuries. It shouldn’t be hard to make grass surfaces a policy.

Except the NFL does not want to seem to put the pressure on team owners to be “all about player safety”.

You are spot on that "It shouldn’t be hard to make grass surfaces a policy.”...but....the reality is that it IS hard....very hard.

It’s ALL about money. Grass fields make it more expensive to hold other events at the venues.

As we have already seen, they WILL spend the money to have the opportunity to hold a high profile soccer game....but then they change back to crappy artificial turf.

Woodman
10-13-2023, 01:09 PM

I would cancel all London games.

ParanoidAndroid
10-13-2023, 01:55 PM
Looks like we're getting Benford back this week.

Woodman
10-13-2023, 01:56 PM
Looks like we're getting Benford back this week.

We need him.

Woodman
10-13-2023, 02:02 PM
Saquon Barkley, Darren Waller, Evan Neal questionable for Giants (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/saquon-barkley-darren-waller-evan-neal-questionable-for-giants)

Forward_Lateral
10-13-2023, 02:05 PM
Can someone post the injury report?

Woodman
10-13-2023, 02:21 PM
The Buffalo Bills (https://www.buffalorumblings.com/) are getting ready to host the New York Giants (https://www.bigblueview.com/) at Highmark Stadium for Sunday Night Football. The Bills will be looking to rebound from last week’s forgettable game in London while the Giants are trying to find just their second win of the season. But both teams will take the field without key members of their rosters.
Here’s a look at the midweek injury trends for both teams.
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="" title="Twitter Tweet" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=true&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfdGltZWxpbmVfbGlzdCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOltdLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X2ZvbGxvd2VyX2NvdW50X3N1bnNldCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOnRydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9iYWNrZW5kIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19yZWZzcmNfc2Vzc2lvbiI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfZm9zbnJfc29mdF9pbnRlcnZlbnRpb25zX2VuYWJsZWQiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijoib24iLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X21peGVkX21lZGlhXzE1ODk3Ijp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6InRyZWF0bWVudCIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfZXhwZXJpbWVudHNfY29 va2llX2V4cGlyYXRpb24iOnsiYnVja2V0IjoxMjA5NjAwLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X3Nob3dfYmlyZHdhdGNoX3Bpdm90c19lbmFibGVkIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19kdXBsaWNhdGVfc2NyaWJlc190b19zZXR0aW5ncyI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdXNlX3Byb2ZpbGVfaW1hZ2Vfc2hhcGVfZW5hYmxlZCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdmlkZW9faGxzX2R5bmFtaWNfbWFuaWZlc3RzXzE1MDgyIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6InRydWVfYml0cmF0ZSIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfbGVnYWN5X3RpbWVsaW5lX3N1bnNldCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOnR ydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9mcm9udGVuZCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9fQ%3D%3D&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=1712550854086242519&lang=en&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.buffalorumblings.com%2F2023%2F10%2F12%2F23915099%2Fbuffalo-bills-vs-new-york-giants-midweek-injury-trends-arent-telling-us-a-whole-lot&sessionId=11a433462d243e4052189ecb7cb635b1c9325032&siteScreenName=BuffRumblings&theme=light&widgetsVersion=01917f4d1d4cb%3A1696883169554&width=550px" data-tweet-id="1712550854086242519" style="box-sizing: border-box; text-decoration: inherit; vertical-align: inherit; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; line-height: inherit; margin: 0px auto; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; display: block; max-width: 100%; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 550px; height: 527px; flex-grow: 1;"></iframe>

Bills players trending up

Woodman
10-13-2023, 02:24 PM
Bills injury report vs. Giants | Week 6 SNF 1 hour ago!

Following Friday's practice, the Bills have updated their injury report ahead of Sunday night's game against the Giants:

TE Dawson Knox (wrist), TE Dalton Kincaid (concussion) and CB Dane Jackson (foot) are all listed as questionable.

The good news for the Bills is that DE Greg Rousseau, CB Christian Benford and DE Shaq Lawson are all off the injury report and are expected to play Sunday.

Friday injury report pic.twitter.com/QKjuyl7x9C (https://t.co/QKjuyl7x9C)
— Buffalo Bills PR (@BuffaloBillsPR) October 13, 2023 (https://twitter.com/BuffaloBillsPR/status/1712893493746479237?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw)

Bills injury report vs. Giants | Week 6 SNF (https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-injury-report-vs-giants-week-6-snf)

Forward_Lateral
10-13-2023, 05:28 PM
How can Kincaid be questionable? Either he’s cleared protocol or he hasn’t. Doesn’t he have to clear today or he’s out?

Woodman
10-13-2023, 06:00 PM
It's up to the Bills ..... jmo.

Pretty sure he cleared protocol.

sukie
10-13-2023, 06:43 PM
How can Kincaid be questionable? Either he’s cleared protocol or he hasn’t. Doesn’t he have to clear today or he’s out?

Maybe the league neurological specialist was busy.

Historian
10-14-2023, 06:44 AM
Looking at the big picture, in regards to turf...

Municipalities are now installing this junk on all their fields (football, soccer, baseball)....it's become some sort of community status symbol.

So players aren't just taking a pounding in college and the pros....they're now taking a pounding in high school too.

That adds up over a number of years, and I believe actually shortens careers.

Forward_Lateral
10-14-2023, 06:51 AM
Looking at the big picture, in regards to turf...

Municipalities are now installing this junk on all their fields (football, soccer, baseball)....it's become some sort of community status symbol.

So players aren't just taking a pounding in college and the pros....they're now taking a pounding in high school too.

It’s ridiculous. Grass is the one thing that can be grown almost anywhere, and now even that is being replaced by plastic crap

sukie
10-14-2023, 07:15 AM
It’s ridiculous. Grass is the one thing that can be grown almost anywhere, and now even that is being replaced by plastic crap

takes away the remedy of rubbing dirt on it.

sukie
10-14-2023, 07:17 AM
All I see is DK, DK. And Jackson as only injuries and they are all questionable.

Rousseau and Benford and Shaq are good

Woodman
10-14-2023, 09:39 AM
All I see is DK, DK. And Jackson as only injuries and they are all questionable.

Rousseau and Benford and Shaq are good

:cheers:

Woodman
10-14-2023, 09:42 AM

they're now taking a pounding in high school too.

So sad but it's absolutely true.