PDA

View Full Version : TRADE FOR SURTAIN

cas22
10-10-2023, 08:12 AM
Beane should be on the phone yesterday and seeing what it would to take for Surtain.. Espensa will be a free agent at years end, I don't see us re signing him considering where our cap is gonna be, offer Espensa and Eliam straight up for surtain, then go from there, you never no.. if we some how pull this trade off you get rid of White after next year, I believe we can cut him then and save money, thats when Surtains contract will be up so you take Whites money and Pay Patrick.....

what say you's????????

1 things for sure Norman isn't gonna be any help,,, I don't understand Bean and McD's thinking on bringing him in at 35 years of age....

Woodman
10-10-2023, 08:17 AM
Epenesa is just breaking out and an important player to resign ..... depending on the severity of these very recent injuries he may be more affordable than you may think.

Hate to lose him now as he's breaking out.

I would definitely pursue Surtain just not with he assets you suggest.

Draft picks are always attractive for a team on the rebuild.

White might just be dealt with before next year and that would open the dollars up as well.

Remember Surtain is still on his rookie contract so that's a factor as well.

sahlensguy
10-10-2023, 08:24 AM
Sucks to be on the brink, have injuries and then trade the war chest to get back towards being on the brink, only to not make it all the way. Very unfortunate.

Woodman
10-10-2023, 08:30 AM
Sucks to be on the brink, have injuries and then trade the war chest to get back towards being on the brink, only to not make it all the way. Very unfortunate.

I hope we try with everything we can ...... I'don't mind trading a few picks to get a proven player .... seems we don't give our draft picks much immediate exposure anyway.

Point is ..... for me I recognize that we don't at least with the current HC go with or draft picks immediately .... with a few exceptions of course.

I say just go for it !!

:gobills:

sahlensguy
10-10-2023, 08:35 AM
I hope we try with everything we can ...... I'don't mind trading a few picks to get a proven player .... seems we don't give our draft picks much immediate exposure anyway.

Point is ..... for me I recognize that we don't at least with the current HC go with or draft picks immediately .... with a few exceptions of course.

I say just go for it !!

We've lost our best DB, our best lb and our best dl. We don't have enough picks to trade to replace them, even if there were sellers.

sahlensguy
10-10-2023, 08:38 AM
At this rate we will be in sell mode, rather than buy mode.

Woodman
10-10-2023, 08:42 AM
We've lost our best DB, our best lb and our best dl. We don't have enough picks to replace them, even if there were buyers
Love White however after his knee damage he's not the same ..... jmo.

Milano again love the player ..... imo he made a questionable decision on the play he got hurt on .... still I agree we need to hit the availability wire ..... maybe talk somebody out of their early retirement decision.

Now Jones he's impossible to replace with a similar quality player .... he's a monster plain and simple.

It's gonna take a new approach to cover for his absence.

On a brighter note Epenesa has had the light go on for him and that's huge.

Staying healthy is just so damn hard.

Woodman
10-10-2023, 09:01 AM
At this rate we will be in sell mode, rather than buy mode.

Damn I hope not ..... but it could be headed in that direction very soon unfortunately.

Ed
10-10-2023, 10:04 AM
Surtain is looking to be the highest paid CB in the league. Plus they're not going to take any deal that doesn't include a first rounder and addtional picks.

And they'd basically have to move on from Tre White. I can't see the Bills trying to make a big move like this at CB.

Woodman
10-10-2023, 10:17 AM
Surtain is looking to be the highest paid CB in the league. Plus they're not going to take any deal that doesn't include a first rounder and addtional picks.

And they'd basically have to move on from Tre White. I can't see the Bills trying to make a big move like this at CB.

It would be a monster move .... might need to get some help from the current players that have huge ass contracts. Get creative for once Buffalo ..... I didn't say stupid.

sahlensguy
10-10-2023, 12:11 PM
for once Buffalo ..... I didn't say stupid.

Aww, don't be so hard on yourself... I'm sure there were more. :drunks:

Woodman
10-10-2023, 01:22 PM
Aww, don't be so hard on yourself... I'm sure there were more. :drunks:

:snicker:

ParanoidAndroid
10-10-2023, 01:54 PM
In this defense, pass rushers >>> CB's.

We stand pat and ride it out.

Now that Epenesa looks like he is blossoming, we don't need to look at pass rushers anytime soon, even as Floyd and Von age out. We have an embarrassment of riches there right now, but we're going to need him going forward.

Benford looks good and Jackson is serviceable, much like Wallace was.

We can win with those guys.

We need a run stuffer.

What we could also use is some experience at LB not named AJ Klein to play next to Bernard. I like Williams' athleticism but he can't do what Milano can and that is diagnose pre-snap. I don't trust Dodson, either.

YardRat
10-10-2023, 07:45 PM
I'm not against it, brought it up last week after Tre went down. But, a week later it doesn't help the interior d-line and linebacker which quickly became a higher priority.

DetoxTent
10-10-2023, 08:07 PM
I'm not against it, brought it up last week after Tre went down. But, a week later it doesn't help the interior d-line and linebacker which quickly became a higher priority.

No it didn't. CB is the highest priority. Dorian Williams will surprise you. And it's much easier to find fat run stuffers than it is quality CBs. That said, the idea of trading for Surtain is stupid. But so was signing Josh Norman. Their are much more reasonable trade choices for middling, serviceable CBs out there. Look to teams with good CBs that aren't going anywhere. Green Bay (Jaire Alexander), Cleveland (Denzel Ward, Greg Newsome), Tampa Bay (Carlton Davis, Jamel Dean), Carolina (Jaycee Horn)... like that.

Woodman
10-10-2023, 08:12 PM
No it didn't. CB is the highest priority. Dorian Williams will surprise you. And it's much easier to find fat run stuffers than it is quality CBs. That said, the idea of trading for Surtain is stupid. But so was signing Josh Norman. Their are much more reasonable trade choices for middling, serviceable CBs out there. Look to teams with good CBs that aren't going anywhere. Green Bay (Jaire Alexander), Cleveland (Denzel Ward, Greg Newsome), Tampa Bay (Carlton Davis, Jamel Dean), Carolina (Jaycee Horn)... like that.

Would love either Ward or Alexander ...... I just doubt their teams would part with either of them.

I guess everything in the long run does have it's price.

DetoxTent
10-11-2023, 05:01 AM
Would love either Ward or Alexander ...... I just doubt their teams would part with either of them.

I guess everything in the long run does have it's price.

Yes. I understand. Most of those players aren't going to be players that are obtainable, but the point is if they Bills are pursuing a trade they will shoot for a serviceable plug, a safety gap, to get them through the rest of the season until White heals or they can draft a replacement. Or sign a free agent (ie after the season). Surtain is not a reasonable target.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/best-cornerbacks-nfl-rankings/

notacon
10-11-2023, 01:01 PM

I hope so.

He was replaced in the Jax game by Dodson. Dodson had 55 defensive snaps compared to 32 by Williams. Bernard was on the field for 100% of defensive snaps.

So, despite the fact that Williams was Milano's direct backup, and was first to replace Milano after his injury, after Williams played rather poorly he was replaced by Dodson who finished the game at Milano’s spot.

Not a surprise that AJ Klein has been signed to the active roster. With his extensive experience with McD’s defense, he could get significant playing time, if not this week, very soon.

ParanoidAndroid
10-11-2023, 01:55 PM
Williams was decent against the pass but was absent trying to stop Etienne. Dodson wasn't much better, if at all.

Tim Settle is not good, either.

Jones is going to be sorely missed, even moreso than Milano, I think.

Historian
10-11-2023, 03:41 PM
Give them Von Miller and next year's first!

:up:

ParanoidAndroid
10-11-2023, 07:04 PM
Teams who act in desperation get fleeced.

We are going to need to re-tool this defense in the near future, replace Morse and upgrade the WR position outside of Diggs.

We need draft picks and conservation of cap space.

Mace
10-11-2023, 08:04 PM
Teams who act in desperation get fleeced.

We are going to need to re-tool this defense in the near future, replace Morse and upgrade the WR position outside of Diggs.

We need draft picks and conservation of cap space.

I don't really see it any other way.

notacon
10-12-2023, 01:31 PM
The report is (https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/38625700/nfl-week-6-fantasy-tips-upset-favorite-prediction-buzz) that Denver is “open for business” but “They're not interested in parting with star cornerback Pat Surtain II (https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4372012/pat-surtain-ii), as they see him as a building block...".

Woodman
10-12-2023, 09:08 PM
Denver has some nice DB's not just Surtain.

Canadian'eh!
10-13-2023, 06:41 AM
Yeah. They basically said last night Surtain is the last guy they will be trading, and I agree.

he’s 23 and a shutdown corner. He’s a foundation piece you rebuild around.

Jevonte williams
courtland sutton
jerry jeudy

those guys might be available, Surtain no.

and honestly, he’s a lock down man to man style cb. I’m sure he could play zone, but it’s really a waste of his talents.

acehole
10-13-2023, 07:48 AM
Beane should be on the phone yesterday and seeing what it would to take for Surtain.. Espensa will be a free agent at years end, I don't see us re signing him considering where our cap is gonna be, offer Espensa and Eliam straight up for surtain, then go from there, you never no.. if we some how pull this trade off you get rid of White after next year, I believe we can cut him then and save money, thats when Surtains contract will be up so you take Whites money and Pay Patrick.....

what say you's????????

1 things for sure Norman isn't gonna be any help,,, I don't understand Bean and McD's thinking on bringing him in at 35 years of age....

Forget those players.

Elam and a second (2025) for Surtain.

They(Denver) play cover 1 so Elam is a better system fit for him.

Young and cheap and a good building block for a rebuilding team.

Surtain is ready out of the box and would love a contender.

Maybe some bad cap hit for Denver so maybe some cash but not sure.

Canadian'eh!
10-13-2023, 08:10 AM
Forget those players.

Elam and a second (2025) for Surtain.

They(Denver) play cover 1 so Elam is a better system fit for him.

Young and cheap and a good building block for a rebuilding team.

Surtain is ready out of the box and would love a contender.

Maybe some bad cap hit for Denver so maybe some cash but not sure.

Why would Denver trade an elite 23 year old CB for that?

Woodman
10-13-2023, 12:22 PM

They're pretty stupid that much is obvious.

daryls61
10-14-2023, 02:46 AM
We would have better luck grabbing a CB off another teams PS. I doubt Denver would trade Surtain.

acehole
10-14-2023, 07:44 AM

It is a hope. Does he want to be on a **** brick team during a rebuild?

It is stupid for them but possible.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-14-2023, 07:45 AM
I’d give a 1st and 3rd and Elam for Surtain and a 4th

Woodman
10-14-2023, 08:13 AM
We would have better luck grabbing a CB off another teams PS. I doubt Denver would trade Surtain.
Most likely.

Canadian'eh!
10-14-2023, 09:18 AM
They're pretty stupid that much is obvious.
Well. The Wilson trade would prove that’s true. But everyone knows they are going to sell, they wouldn’t need to be smart to pick the best offer and it certainly would be better than that.

if I’m a man to man D team, I’m offering 2 1sts for him.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a hope. Does he want to be on a **** brick team during a rebuild?

It is stupid for them but possible.
No. It’s not possible. This isn’t fantasy football.

Woodman
10-14-2023, 09:25 AM
The Wilson trade would prove that’s true.

The only reason I said it. :D

notacon
10-14-2023, 01:24 PM
I’d give a 1st and 3rd and Elam for Surtain and a 4th

But, the question is will Denver TAKE that for Surtain.

Every indication is NO. And I don’t blame them for not wanting to part with him.

It would be a form of GM malpractice if they did. Then again, they committed gross GM malpractice with the stupid trade for Russel Wilson and then compounded it with that absurd contract that put them in cap hell until after the 2024 season.

Woodman
10-14-2023, 03:43 PM
But, the question is will Denver TAKE that for Surtain.

Every indication is NO. And I don’t blame them for not wanting to part with him.

It would be a form of GM malpractice if they did. Then again, they committed gross GM malpractice with the stupid trade for Russel Wilson and then compounded it with that absurd contract that put them in cap hell until after the 2024 season.
I wouldn't trade him for less than a 1st and two 2nds.

I almost said two 1st's.