PDA

View Full Version : Is Buffalo properly utilizing TE Dalton Kincaid?

Woodman
10-13-2023, 01:53 PM
The Buffalo Bills have invested significantly in the tight end position in recent seasons, initiated by Dawson Knox’s lucrative contract extension, and then most recently by selecting tight end Dalton Kincaid in Round 1 of the 2023 NFL Draft (https://www.sbnation.com/nfl-draft).

During the 2022 NFL season, Buffalo utilized 12 personnel on 4.1% of plays — the entire season. With the addition of Kincaid, it was widely believed the Bills would begin utilizing a much larger percentage of 12 personnel. Through the first month of the 2023 NFL season, that’s exactly what offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey did — with Buffalo using 12 personnel among the greatest frequency, league wide.

Woodman
10-13-2023, 09:01 PM
Maybe starting Sunday night ...... hopefully.

daryls61
10-14-2023, 02:41 AM
He has been open. Allen is just not throwing to him. No idea why.

DetoxTent
10-14-2023, 06:13 AM
It was only a matter of time before someone posted a thread asking this question.

sukie
10-14-2023, 07:26 AM
He’s also learning the NFL game. He’s a rookie.

Woodman
10-14-2023, 08:17 AM

He always reads Diggs 1st .... I can sorta understand why ..... having said that I think the game plan has to be purposefully designed to spread it (the ball) around .... that means sometimes switch your 1st read.

I hope they already do that but it doesn't really seem to be the case.

Woodman
10-14-2023, 08:19 AM
It was only a matter of time before someone posted a thread asking this question.
It had to be asked .... we all must be wondering?

Woodman
10-14-2023, 08:22 AM
He’s also learning the NFL game. He’s a rookie.
Part of it .... but I like a more ballsy approach to finding out what he has .... make him the 1st read a few times .... he has a decided advantage and seems to be open early.

McDermott is also part of the slow with rookie approach that's the biggest problem.

ParanoidAndroid
10-14-2023, 09:04 AM
It's a pretty significant scheme change. One could imagine the learning curve.

Give it time.

Woodman
10-14-2023, 09:31 AM
It's a pretty significant scheme change. One could imagine the learning curve.

Give it time.

How about now? :cheers: :D

DraftBoy
10-14-2023, 09:38 AM
He’s a rookie TE who is the 4th or 5th option on most plays. His role right now is exactly what was expected.

Woodman
10-14-2023, 11:37 AM
He’s a rookie TE who is the 4th or 5th option on most plays. His role right now is exactly what was expected.

In the effort to be unpredictable that should be changed ..... offensively speaking look at Miami.

S P R E A D ..... T H E ...... B A L L ...... A R O U N D !!!!!!

notacon
10-14-2023, 01:32 PM

That is not accurate.

I already posted the facts (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/263936-When-the-Bills-can-run-the-ball-effectively?p=5049018&viewfull=1#post5049018).....

Jesus. How silly.

Trying to declare a #1st round pick as a “straight up bad pick” after five games is foolish!!!! These kind of knee jerk reactions are silly.

Out of the six players with the most targets (14 or more) Kincaid has the highest catch percentage....89% (17/19). Knox is the worst at 58% (11/19). He also has the third most targets behind the top two WR’s. Here are the stats after only five games...

<tbody>

Catches
Targets
%

Diggs
78%

Davis
69%

Cook
78%

Kinaid
89%

Harty
79%

Knox
58%

</tbody>

To say that "A guy who will never make any difference with the way we run our offense.” is rather premature at best.

McD’s m.o. is fairly easy to understand when it comes to rookies. He does not like to rush their development or use, and does not trust them until he does. There is little reason to doubt that he will be more important in the offensive scheme as the year progresses.

Come back after the end of the season. Or better yet, after year two.

Forward_Lateral
10-14-2023, 01:44 PM
Kincaid has been making some pretty dumb mistakes.

Woodman
10-14-2023, 03:32 PM
Kincaid has been making some pretty dumb mistakes.
Have not noticed more than one.

Mace
10-14-2023, 04:02 PM
I probably expected him to be a bit more involved, but it's early yet and he hasn't been critically required.

To me anyway, he's frosting, not the cake on offense atm.

Woodman
10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
I probably expected him to be a bit more involved, but it's early yet and he hasn't been critically required.

To me anyway, he's frosting, not the cake on offense atm.

Wouldn't you know it .... I love lots of frosting.

jamze132
10-15-2023, 04:38 AM
Why draft a TE in the first if you’re not going to throw the ball to him after the first quarter?

DetoxTent
10-15-2023, 08:10 AM
Why draft a TE in the first if you’re not going to throw the ball to him after the first quarter?

The question is is this a Ken Dorsey issue or a Josh Allen issue?

Mr. Pink
10-16-2023, 12:52 AM
Wasted pick. Said it at the time, and the more time goes by, the more it shows.

Just another drafting blunder by this front office who gets a pass because they took Allen.

Chet
10-16-2023, 05:19 AM
What is most puzzling is his lack of production/targets on an offense with only one other NFL caliber receiving threat. The rest have proven themselves to be scrubs, so why aren’t we seeing if he can unlock the offense?

Knox, Davis, Harty, etc would not start on more than 3-4 (tanking) teams in the NFL, yet here they are eating up snaps

Woodman
10-17-2023, 06:15 PM

Just another drafting blunder by this front office who gets a pass because they took Allen.

Way too early to call him a wasted pick imo.

Hopefully he gets back on the field and makes some big plays.

notacon
10-18-2023, 12:37 PM

Oh boy....giving up on a player after only five games??? That’s a TWO-FER....

https://media.tenor.com/zxQk2jPi9bkAAAAC/pretty-dumb-take-maclen-stanley.gif

https://freshstitches.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Quitter.jpg

Woodman
10-21-2023, 08:56 PM
Hopefully he gets a better opportunity starting tomorrow.

sukie
10-22-2023, 08:27 AM

Rousseau good pick
Epenesa turning into a good pick
Bernard good pick
Oliver good pick
Benford good pick
Torrance good pick

elam head scratch
Boogie meh

DetoxTent
10-22-2023, 08:40 AM
Rousseau good pick
Epenesa turning into a good pick
Bernard good pick
Oliver good pick
Benford good pick
Torrance good pick

elam head scratch
Boogie meh

Add Edmunds, Moss, Singletary, Cody Ford as misses. But there were other hits too. Look at the 2018 draft:

Josh Allen
Tremaine Edwards
Harrison Phillips
Taron Johnson
Siran Neal
Wyatt Teller
Ray-Ray McCloud
Rick Proehl

McCloud is the starting punt returner for the best team in the NFL.
Teller became an All-Pro after Beane traded him.
Johnson & Neal are solid role players for the Bills.
Harrison Phillips is the starting nose tackle/DT for the Vikings.
Edmunds sucks somewhere else now.
Josh Allen is a star QB.

In retrospect, despite the fact some players are elsewhere, that was a strong draft. The players that are now in other places are starters there.

What is the bar? Many years if you get one or two good players out of a draft, you've done your job. Three was a good draft.

daryls61
10-22-2023, 08:46 AM
JA17 just needs to start throwing to KingCade more. He has been open but Allen prefers to target Diggs too much for some reason.

DetoxTent
10-22-2023, 08:50 AM
And as far as giving up after 5 games on Kincaid, I agree we shouldn't. I feel like he's got a breakout game coming. We just haven't seen it yet. The Bills are trying to find their sea legs. Once that happens Kincaid will get added to the regular list of targets. They've got some "redistributing" to do throughout their passing game, as has been talked about here and everywhere. Diggs getting the vast majority of passing targets. If fans are seeing that, so are other teams. So they will be forced to change that. I think somewhere along the way Kincaid will have a big bust-out sort of a game.

DetoxTent
10-22-2023, 08:51 AM
JA17 just needs to start throwing to KingCade more. He has been open but Allen prefers to target Diggs too much for some reason.

Because he gets open and hangs on to the ball perhaps?

Mr. Pink
10-22-2023, 01:40 PM
I "gave up" on the pick the moment it was announced.

It was a stupid pick at the time, and continues to prove to be even more stupid as the weeks go by.

I mentioned another Tight End at the time we took Kincaid...Sam LaPorta. Guess who's performing better of the two? LaPorta.

But hey we wasted extra draft capital on a guy who makes zero difference offensively, go us!