PDA

View Full Version : NFL considers banning hip-drop tackles

Woodman
10-17-2023, 09:43 PM
The NFL is considering eliminating the hip-drop tackle.

NFL executive Jeff Miller cited the danger of the play Tuesday at the league meetings, saying the hip-drop tackle increases risk of injury by 25 times the rate of a standard tackle.

“It is an unforgiving behavior (https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/nfl-considers-eliminating-hip-drop-tackles-will-review-the-tush-push-again-after-the-season/ar-AA1iomKs) and one that we need to try to define and get out of the game,” Miller said, via Rob Maaddi of the Associated Press. “To quantify it for you, we see an injury more or less every week in the regular season on the hip-drop.”

The tackle came into the spotlight in the 2022 postseason when Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes and Cowboys running back Tony Pollard were injured by hip-drop tackles. Mahomes injured an ankle on a hip-drop tackle by Jaguars defensive lineman Arden Key, and Pollard’s season ended with a fractured fibula and ligament damage in his ankle on a hip-drop tackle by 49ers defensive back Jimmie Ward.

NFL considers banning hip-drop tackles - NBC Sports (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-considers-banning-hip-drop-tackles)

Woodman
10-17-2023, 09:45 PM
It needs to be banned imo ..... what say you?

Ingtar33
10-17-2023, 10:14 PM
depends on how they define it. the ones where they pick the guy up and toss him to the ground, should be banned. those are obvious attempts to injure in like 9 out of 10 attempts. the one where mahomes was hurt is bull**** if they penalize that. well to be fair if they penalize that then JA will never be tackled again so maybe i should be all for it. the fact they call that a hip drop tackle though tells me they're going really liberal with the definition

daryls61
10-18-2023, 12:03 PM
How are players even supposed to tackle anymore? It will be 2 hand touch soon.

Woodman
10-18-2023, 07:46 PM

It's a dirty form of tackling ..... that the game doesn't need.

It's done with the intent to seriously injure ..... lazy and ****ing cheap.

Ingtar33
10-18-2023, 08:02 PM
It's a dirty form of tackling ..... that the game doesn't need.

It's done with the intent to seriously injure ..... lazy and ****ing cheap.

watch the mahome tackle they're citing, there was nothing obviously dirty about that. again, i agree, the "rugby" definition of a hip drop tackle should be banned. It is a clear attempt to injure. But the mahomes hit? no. that one was just a regular hit but the fact they are citing that one as a "hip drop tackle" makes it sound like they'll penalize pretty much everything.

Dr. Lecter
10-18-2023, 08:08 PM
If they really want to decrease injury risk, they would do something about the stadiums that have fields that have no give, either in terms of grip or being as hard as concrete.

Woodman
10-18-2023, 08:11 PM
watch the mahome tackle they're citing, there was nothing obviously dirty about that. again, i agree, the "rugby" definition of a hip drop tackle should be banned. It is a clear attempt to injure. But the mahomes hit? no. that one was just a regular hit but the fact they are citing that one as a "hip drop tackle" makes it sound like they'll penalize pretty much everything.

Whoever is sighting that tackle is because it was Mahomes and that doesn't mean it was a hip drop. I just know as I'm sure you do that when that form of tackling is used it's intentional and it doesn't belong in the game. Let's shorten or takeaway more futures.

Woodman
10-18-2023, 08:13 PM
If they really want to decrease injury risk, they would do something about the stadiums that have fields that have no give, either in terms of grip or being as hard as concrete.

That is another area that needs immediate attention. They are like playing on green concrete. Can't believe that hasn't been a focus long ago.

OpIv37
10-18-2023, 08:39 PM
This just seems like another subjective flag that will eventually screw the Bills

Forward_Lateral
10-19-2023, 08:15 AM

Exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

What the fluck is a hip drop tackle

Buffalogic
10-19-2023, 09:59 AM
Absurd. Let defenders defend.

Woodman
10-19-2023, 03:14 PM
What the fluck is a hip drop tackle.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v2muGjiMbDE?si=-MGZpUqe2a9VJkfk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DraftBoy
10-20-2023, 03:59 AM

They will take care of that for the World Cup and then change them back to turf for the NFL.

DraftBoy
10-20-2023, 04:01 AM
No issue with penalizing either the lift and slam or drag down version of this tackle. One is clearly dirty while the other has a ton of potential for injury.

Forward_Lateral
10-20-2023, 06:19 AM
I though this was already illegal

Chet
10-20-2023, 06:23 AM
2HT or FF, that is for sure. Each time there's a rule change there's one group that says no big deal and another saying we are on our way to flag football. Eventually, with the outcry over every little injury we are inevitably watching the death of football. It's a violent sport with inherent risk, and the athletes are paid accordingly.

If they want a softer game with less risk then that is their right. But if that's what they want, they better be prepared for a massive pay cut. Less risk, less pay. That's how it works for most people anyways. Americans love and crave violence, and without that element in the sport it simply becomes another unwatchable, unmarketable sporting event that is destined for The Ocho.

Forward_Lateral
10-20-2023, 06:26 AM
I can't see 2HT becoming a thing, it would be way too discretionary. Flag would eliminate any question as to whether a guy was touched or not.

I don't see there being professional football in 10 years, not full contact like it is now, unless they go without equipment, or come up with a cure for concussions.

Chet
10-20-2023, 06:31 AM
I can't see 2HT becoming a thing, it would be way too discretionary. Flag would eliminate any question as to whether a guy was touched or not.

I don't see there being professional football in 10 years, not full contact like it is now, unless they go without equipment, or come up with a cure for concussions.
Theoretically they could do 2HT with instant replay, but that would slow things down considerably.

Ugh, just the thought of all this is nauseating.

Forward_Lateral
10-20-2023, 06:44 AM
Theoretically they could do 2HT with instant replay, but that would slow things down considerably.

Ugh, just the thought of all this is nauseating.
It's inevitable. Guys are so big, fast, strong and fearless. I forget which game it was Sunday, but one of the defenders tackled a guy, who was already going down, and another guy game in and launched himself into the guy who was already folded in half. Why? Players can whine about the league not caring about player safety, but let's be honest. They don't give a crap about their opponent's, and in some cases, even their teammates safety.

Chet
10-20-2023, 06:47 AM
It's inevitable. Guys are so big, fast, strong and fearless. I forget which game it was Sunday, but one of the defenders tackled a guy, who was already going down, and another guy game in and launched himself into the guy who was already folded in half. Why? Players can whine about the league not caring about player safety, but let's be honest. They don't give a crap about their opponent's, and in some cases, even their teammates safety.
FF also takes away toughness, leadership, and intangibles. There are no underdogs or scrappers. Just track stars with good hands. All measurables

Forward_Lateral
10-20-2023, 08:34 AM
FF also takes away toughness, leadership, and intangibles. There are no underdogs or scrappers. Just track stars with good hands. All measurables

I guess it would eliminate D and O-line positions too?

I will admit, I have never watched a flag football game, so I have no idea

DraftBoy
10-20-2023, 07:49 PM

There will be football for a very long time, but it’s going to continue to evolve. They are going to try and get as close to only having form tackling as possible.

Woodman
10-21-2023, 11:34 AM
There will be football for a very long time, but it’s going to continue to evolve. They are going to try and get as close to only having form tackling as possible.

Everybody loves the big hit ..... it's a big part of it.

Now we need to increase if possible career longevity.