• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

NFL considers banning hip-drop tackles

The NFL is considering eliminating the hip-drop tackle.

NFL executive Jeff Miller cited the danger of the play Tuesday at the league meetings, saying the hip-drop tackle increases risk of injury by 25 times the rate of a standard tackle.

“It is an unforgiving behavior and one that we need to try to define and get out of the game,” Miller said, via Rob Maaddi of the Associated Press. “To quantify it for you, we see an injury more or less every week in the regular season on the hip-drop.”

The tackle came into the spotlight in the 2022 postseason when Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes and Cowboys running back Tony Pollard were injured by hip-drop tackles. Mahomes injured an ankle on a hip-drop tackle by Jaguars defensive lineman Arden Key, and Pollard’s season ended with a fractured fibula and ligament damage in his ankle on a hip-drop tackle by 49ers defensive back Jimmie Ward.

NFL considers banning hip-drop tackles - NBC Sports

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: NFL considers banning hip-drop tackles

It needs to be banned imo ..... what say you?

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Ingtar33
      Dances With Buffaloes
      • Sep 2002

depends on how they define it. the ones where they pick the guy up and toss him to the ground, should be banned. those are obvious attempts to injure in like 9 out of 10 attempts. the one where mahomes was hurt is bull**** if they penalize that. well to be fair if they penalize that then JA will never be tackled again so maybe i should be all for it. the fact they call that a hip drop tackle though tells me they're going really liberal with the definition
      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• daryls61
        • Jan 2013

How are players even supposed to tackle anymore? It will be 2 hand touch soon.
        The Things that unite us are far greater than the things that divide us. Just my 2 Cents.

"The Force, it's calling to you. Just let it in." - Maz Kanata: Star Wars VII The Force Awakens

"'Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum." - Winston Scott in John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum

#Cup or Bust 2024 #Bowl or Bust 2024 - It is the way.

Comment

• Woodman
          Legendary Zoner
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by daryls61 View Post
          How are players even supposed to tackle anymore? It will be 2 hand touch soon.
          It's a dirty form of tackling ..... that the game doesn't need.

It's done with the intent to seriously injure ..... lazy and ****ing cheap.

Comment

• Ingtar33
            Dances With Buffaloes
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
            It's a dirty form of tackling ..... that the game doesn't need.

It's done with the intent to seriously injure ..... lazy and ****ing cheap.
            watch the mahome tackle they're citing, there was nothing obviously dirty about that. again, i agree, the "rugby" definition of a hip drop tackle should be banned. It is a clear attempt to injure. But the mahomes hit? no. that one was just a regular hit but the fact they are citing that one as a "hip drop tackle" makes it sound like they'll penalize pretty much everything.
            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

If they really want to decrease injury risk, they would do something about the stadiums that have fields that have no give, either in terms of grip or being as hard as concrete.
              Originally posted by mysticsoto
              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Woodman
                Legendary Zoner
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                watch the mahome tackle they're citing, there was nothing obviously dirty about that. again, i agree, the "rugby" definition of a hip drop tackle should be banned. It is a clear attempt to injure. But the mahomes hit? no. that one was just a regular hit but the fact they are citing that one as a "hip drop tackle" makes it sound like they'll penalize pretty much everything.
                Whoever is sighting that tackle is because it was Mahomes and that doesn't mean it was a hip drop. I just know as I'm sure you do that when that form of tackling is used it's intentional and it doesn't belong in the game. Let's shorten or takeaway more futures.

Comment

• Woodman
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                  If they really want to decrease injury risk, they would do something about the stadiums that have fields that have no give, either in terms of grip or being as hard as concrete.
                  That is another area that needs immediate attention. They are like playing on green concrete. Can't believe that hasn't been a focus long ago.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

This just seems like another subjective flag that will eventually screw the Bills
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

Exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

What the fluck is a hip drop tackle

Comment

• Buffalogic
                        Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                        • Feb 2006

Absurd. Let defenders defend.

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post

What the fluck is a hip drop tackle.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

They will take care of that for the World Cup and then change them back to turf for the NFL.
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

No issue with penalizing either the lift and slam or drag down version of this tackle. One is clearly dirty while the other has a ton of potential for injury.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X