PDA

View Full Version : NFL will not play in Mexico in 2024

Woodman
10-17-2023, 11:03 PM
The NFL may return to Mexico City in 2025, when the stadium is expected to be ready.

O’Reilly also confirmed that the league is looking at Spain and Brazil (https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-looking-at-brazil-spain-as-potential-hosts-for-games) as potential hosts for games in 2024.

London and Germany, which are hosting a total of five games this season, are scheduled to continue hosting games in 2024.

sukie
10-18-2023, 07:44 AM
Such crap. Hey let’s start a league in Europe sponsored by the NFL and have teams in Frankfurt, Barcelona, maybe the UK

we’ll call it NFL Europe!!!! It will be a can’t miss hit.

Woodman
10-18-2023, 11:09 AM
Screw all of that international bull****.

Unfortunately it does seem inevitable.

notacon
10-18-2023, 01:34 PM
The Mexico delay is only because of stadium availability.

It’s no surprise that the NFL wants to expand internationally. They would be dumb not to.

It’s coming no matter what.

What will make it even more inevitable is the expected return to supersonic air travel. 3.5 hours from Newark to London is NOT a pipe dream. Major airlines have put in orders in for new supersonic planes.

If things go according to plan, there may be commercially available flights in 2029.

Airlines are trying to resurrect the Concorde era (https://www.vox.com/recode/22508975/united-supersonic-plane-concorde-boom-hermeus-virgin-nasa#:~:text=Passenger%20flights%20aren%27t%20expected,fast%20as%20a%20typical%20flight.)

sukie
10-18-2023, 02:18 PM

It’s no surprise that the NFL wants to expand internationally. They would be dumb not to.

What will make it even more inevitable is the expected return to supersonic air travel. 3.5 hours from Newark to London is NOT a pipe dream. Major airlines have put in orders in for new supersonic planes.

If things go according to plan, there may be commercially available flights in 2029.

Airlines are trying to resurrect the Concorde era (https://www.vox.com/recode/22508975/united-supersonic-plane-concorde-boom-hermeus-virgin-nasa#:~:text=Passenger%20flights%20aren%27t%20expected,fast%20as%20a%20typical%20flight.)

But but but… the environment.

hilarious

ticatfan
10-18-2023, 05:14 PM

hilarious

I'm starting to believe airliners are a major part of CC. But to much money and jobs at stake,to do anything about it.

OpIv37
10-18-2023, 09:55 PM

You’d need like 3 Concorde’s to get an NFL team across the pond. The seating capacity was only 92-128. 53 man roster plus coaches, trainers, equipment people, media people and all that gear….

Supersonic air travel may be returning but not for NFL teams. You’d need something at least the size of a 737 and that’s not possible because… well, physics. Maybe the players and coaches could fly supersonic and the support staff and equipment could continue using what we have now… idk.

I hate these international games. The fields suck, they’re on at weird times, it’s such a strain on the players. I get it. The NFL is a business. They’ve saturated the American market, so going international is the only way to go. But their pursuit of more dollars is a “**** you” to their most loyal customers and the players who make them all the money.

YardRat
10-19-2023, 06:21 AM
I hate the international games also, but it's such a simple fix...go to two bye weeks. Whoever plays in Europe gets their game sandwiched by the byes. No more multiple games for the Jags, one per season for anybody. Games in our hemisphere SOP, and the league gets an extra week of revenue. If they are dead-set on having an expansion team at some point, schedule the Euro team to have games in the US a month at a time.

notacon
10-19-2023, 01:05 PM

hilarious

What's "hilarious" is that it's very obvious you did not even read the article. If you did, you would not say something so tone deaf...

But there’s another twist. Boom also wants to make these flights environmentally friendly, promising that these planes will be “net-zero carbon from day one,” and rely completely on sustainable aviation fuel, which is repurposed from waste or organic sources.

sukie
10-19-2023, 01:29 PM
What is tone deaf about being back supersonic flight and the environment. Not everything has a tone.

net zero means pay to emit. It’s crap. Net zero isn’t regulated and it’s a large amount of money paid to misbehave. That money is supposed to go toward CO2 removal projects and wind/solar projects in developing countries like China and India.

In a perfect pink colored dream world.

notacon
10-19-2023, 01:41 PM
What is tone deaf about being back supersonic flight and the environment. Not everything has a tone.

net zero means pay to emit. It’s crap. Net zero isn’t regulated and it’s a large amount of money paid to misbehave. That money is supposed to go toward CO2 removal projects and wind/solar projects in developing countries like China and India.

In a perfect pink colored dream world.

From the biggest global warming denier here. :rofl:

sukie
10-19-2023, 01:55 PM
From the biggest global warming denier here. :rofl:
Skeptic. A MNF let’s not break TOS by mischaracterizing me with name calling.

I am skeptical of man caused global catastrophic warming by the CO2 release from burning fossil fuels .

Skeptical due to lack of empirical evidence CO2 increase from nearly 0.03 % to .04 % causes warming outside of computer models.

so it’s skeptic.

I deny religious notions. I am skeptical of untestable hypotheses. Climate change doesn’t even qualify as a hypothesis.

It’s a belief.

sukie
10-19-2023, 01:56 PM
Now back to foreign games, what is the end game? Is it extra weekly profits if say a second bye week was incorporated?

is it jersey sales? What is the motive or end game?

OpIv37
10-19-2023, 02:06 PM
Now back to foreign games, what is the end game? Is it extra weekly profits if say a second bye week was incorporated?

is it jersey sales? What is the motive or end game?

It's pretty simple. The NFL has saturated the North American market. There are no new customers to be had in the US and Canada. They're making a lot of money, but it's hard to grow a business without new customers. So, they are turning to Mexico and Western Europe.

I don't know if it'll work though. American football is only popular here and in Canada. It's a complicated game and it's hard to learn the rules watching just a few games a year (I'm sure there's a way to watch the regularly scheduled games over there but they are on in the middle of the night for them). And many people in other countries view it as American, and despite what many in this country think, the rest of the world doesn't want to be American. It's like trying to sell cricket, or rugby, or even soccer here. People view them as "foreign" games.

The NFL will try, though. It doesn't matter if the games are on at 9:30 am/6:30 am on the west coast so they are hard for regular fans to watch. It doesn't matter that the players have to take a min 6 hour flight with a min 6 hour time difference. It doesn't matter that they have to play on awful turf because the Europeans want to protect their soccer surfaces. The NFL will leave no stone unturned in a search for new revenue.

sukie
10-19-2023, 02:16 PM
It's pretty simple. The NFL has saturated the North American market. There are no new customers to be had in the US and Canada. They're making a lot of money, but it's hard to grow a business without new customers. So, they are turning to Mexico and Western Europe.

I don't know if it'll work though. American football is only popular here and in Canada. It's a complicated game and it's hard to learn the rules watching just a few games a year (I'm sure there's a way to watch the regularly scheduled games over there but they are on in the middle of the night for them). And many people in other countries view it as American, and despite what many in this country think, the rest of the world doesn't want to be American. It's like trying to sell cricket, or rugby, or even soccer here. People view them as "foreign" games.

The NFL will try, though. It doesn't matter if the games are on at 9:30 am/6:30 am on the west coast so they are hard for regular fans to watch. It doesn't matter that the players have to take a min 6 hour flight with a min 6 hour time difference. It doesn't matter that they have to play on awful turf because the Europeans want to protect their soccer surfaces. The NFL will leave no stone unturned in a search for new revenue.
That makes sense except it kinda doesn’t.

2 sports are growing. NBA and Football. Baseball has been bigger. Hockey too small for thud discussion.

What would long distance fan provide the NFL? Jersey sales? 4-6 games in Europe does what that NFL Europe couldnt in 15 years?

Wouldnt increased fan bases need a team? I mean Ravens and Bills go 1 time. That a fan base doth not make. Sunday Ticket is Monday ticket basically.

if there was expansion. Mexico and Canada make sense logistically. Football fandom hasn’t plateaued here.

sukie
10-19-2023, 02:17 PM
I don’t see the big revenue . You are switching ticket sales to a different venue. Kinda a wash

Woodman
10-19-2023, 02:51 PM
Dump all international games ......... bottom line it's just not worth it.

OpIv37
10-19-2023, 03:05 PM
That makes sense except it kinda doesn’t.

2 sports are growing. NBA and Football. Baseball has been bigger. Hockey too small for thud discussion.

What would long distance fan provide the NFL? Jersey sales? 4-6 games in Europe does what that NFL Europe couldnt in 15 years?

Wouldnt increased fan bases need a team? I mean Ravens and Bills go 1 time. That a fan base doth not make. Sunday Ticket is Monday ticket basically.

if there was expansion. Mexico and Canada make sense logistically. Football fandom hasn’t plateaued here.

I think it has. I mean, it's a HUGE fan base that still watches games (which is where most of the money comes from: TV advertising), buys tickets and merchandise, so it's still extremely profitable, but there just aren't that many more fans to be had.

Let's put it this way: In the US, probably 80% of the population are already fans, at least to some degree. They're not all die-hard like us but they're consuming at least some amount of football. And this is anecdotal, but of the people I know that don't watch the NFL, they're people that just generally don't like sports and the NFL is never going to win them over. In Europe, maybe 10% of people are NFL fans and that's probably being generous. If you're looking to get new customers, it's going to be easier in a place where only 10% of people are already customers than a place where 80% are customers.

sukie
10-19-2023, 03:12 PM
But legacy fans are growing along with the population, the fan base here with city based teams is far and away more lucrative than a game in Germany is. Unless there is a team in London. The FA. Base there is minuscule to that of let’s say Dallas. Take a game away from Dallas and move it to London isn’t much of financial gain. It’s revenue from an event.

you mean to say that game held in Europe rakes in more than if played in Dallas. TV revenue alone (don’t know about commercials which usually play between programs. Not like here (every 3 minutes)

most Europeans hate commercial breaks of US TV.

mightysimi
10-19-2023, 04:48 PM
It's a whole new group of people to buy jerseys and hats. Plus if your parents are into football, more likely the kids will get into it as well. Building more fans down the line. It's not about 1 game or 1 season.

OpIv37
10-19-2023, 05:06 PM
But legacy fans are growing along with the population, the fan base here with city based teams is far and away more lucrative than a game in Germany is. Unless there is a team in London. The FA. Base there is minuscule to that of let’s say Dallas. Take a game away from Dallas and move it to London isn’t much of financial gain. It’s revenue from an event.

you mean to say that game held in Europe rakes in more than if played in Dallas. TV revenue alone (don’t know about commercials which usually play between programs. Not like here (every 3 minutes)

most Europeans hate commercial breaks of US TV.
But the real money isn’t from the gate. It’s from the TV advertising. The people who watch Dallas on TV are going to watch them no matter where they play. If you put the game in Europe, millions of Europeans will watch. They’d never watch a reg season game in Dallas. That’s where the money comes from.

sukie
10-19-2023, 05:18 PM
Bill Jags 5.4 million viewers for the only game telecast at that time. Yes for NFL network it was an Increase of 11% but Chiefs SNF game drew 29.2 million by comparison.

now the NFL doesn’t get coin from viewership directly. But the networks can charge more when you have 29.2 million viewers when selling commercials. Had the Bills Jags game been on fox or CBS or NBC then viewership might have been bigger compared to 5.4m

this game is NFL network only. My cable plan doesn’t offer it. Sunday ticket doesn’t carry it.

money can’t be the end result… or it’s failing. Or it’s a lab experiment.

DraftBoy
10-19-2023, 06:10 PM
Smart idea to try and Brazil and Spain.

notacon
10-20-2023, 12:54 PM
Skeptic. A MNF let’s not break TOS by mischaracterizing me with name calling.

I am skeptical of man caused global catastrophic warming by the CO2 release from burning fossil fuels .

Skeptical due to lack of empirical evidence CO2 increase from nearly 0.03 % to .04 % causes warming outside of computer models.

so it’s skeptic.

I deny religious notions. I am skeptical of untestable hypotheses. Climate change doesn’t even qualify as a hypothesis.

It’s a belief.

:rofl: You doth protest too much.

Sorry, but calling you a "global warming denier" is NOT TOS violating "name calling".

"Skeptic" and "Denier" is a distinction without a difference.

sukie
10-20-2023, 01:28 PM
Okay Webster (liberal)

Woodman
10-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Okay Webster (liberal)